Lord of the Rings Online is now free!

[quote name='62t']so what happen to people who brought lifetime pass?[/QUOTE]

Lifetime VIP + 500 turbine points a month.

FYI, if you were in the free to play beta, you should have been emailed a code for 500 turbine points. If you aren't going to use that code though... I'll gladly take em.

I've got a lifetime pass, and it's the same as it was before, only you get 500 points a month to spend as well. Had like 4k points yesterday when I logged in. Was kinda fun buying kegs to wear on my back.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Now to decide if i need another addiction in my life :(. (Caffiene, Video Games, and already play 2 MMO's)[/QUOTE]

heroin?

I was in the f2p beta, and I enjoyed it very much. I had to quit after a couple weeks, though, because I didn't want to get too far into it, then have to restart my characters when the game finally launched f2p.

This is an excellent game, and is probably the best f2p mmo if you like the WoW style of games.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Now to decide if i need another addiction in my life :(. (Caffiene, Video Games, and already play 2 MMO's)[/QUOTE]

If one of those MMOs is WoW, this would be a good time killer since my guild stopped raiding until Cata comes out.

Been downloading for about 4 hours now and am about 2/3 done. Average speed is 500-550 KB/sec. Will give it a try and if I like it, will probably pick up the $5 VIP Starter Pack. The 1000 Turbine Points is a nice bonus. Question though, can I buy the expansions with them and do they expire?

I believe the deal is today only, so don't wait too long if youa re interested. I am considering it myself as well...may bite...just want other opinions on whether or not it is worth it. I don't fully understand what having VIP access will do for me that the f2p access won't do....

[quote name='MageVortex']I believe the deal is today only, so don't wait too long if youa re interested. I am considering it myself as well...may bite...just want other opinions on whether or not it is worth it. I don't fully understand what having VIP access will do for me that the f2p access won't do....[/QUOTE]

Check here.

I think the major benefits are the 500 points/month, 5 characters/server, 5 bags and unlimited gold (free account is limited to 3 bags and 2 gold but you can buy more), 20 wardrobe slots, priority login and full access to customer service.

And access to all the SoA quests. Not all of the areas will have the quests available for free players without them buying a quest pack.

[quote name='georox']Lifetime VIP + 500 turbine points a month.

FYI, if you were in the free to play beta, you should have been emailed a code for 500 turbine points. If you aren't going to use that code though... I'll gladly take em.[/QUOTE]

I got emailed a few codes about to login and see if I still have all my points from those codes.

Anyone know what the restrictions are on permanent swift mounts for F2P? Can you buy and use a swift mount only by questing/in-game silver or do you need to pay real cash? Or are F2P and Premium accounts limited to short-term rental swift mounts?

If I pick up this VIP deal at D2D and get permanently bumped up to Premium, will that allow a permanent swift mount even after the VIP month expires?

so this isn't really 'free'? like if someone were to get into it, they would still have to spend money on in-game micro-transactions?? (maybe that's all MMO's, I've never played one, but 'free' is definitely worth a shot..)

You can play it for free. but yes there's an "item mall" that can help you along your way. From what I understand it won't be game breaking if you don't do the "pay" stuff.

How much are quest packs on average? From what I understand, the original Shadows of Angmar quests are included with the free account. But any quests that were added in via updates/expansions (Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood) you have to pay for, correct?

Also, how much is VIP access a month? I couldn't find out on the main site.

Anyone interested in playing this game should probably pick up a Mines of Moria boxed copy since it goes for just $10 everywhere, and costs 2495 Points in the LOTRO store. You could even hold back on entering the key until you've exhausted all the free content, and if you buy the starter pack mentioned on the first page, you'll have 30 days of VIP time from each.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Also, how much is VIP access a month? I couldn't find out on the main site.[/QUOTE]
I think it's $14.99 a month or $29.97 for 3 months ($9.99/month).

I can tell you as a 3 year player of the game....you wont get anything that great with it, unless you spend turbine points. They lock off all expansions, good raids and equipment unless you pay to open it up, along with how much gold you can carry, items you can craft etc. But, it's free to play something that at one time was 50 bucks....which is a good deal.

[quote name='whitereflection']Anyone interested in playing this game should probably pick up a Mines of Moria boxed copy since it goes for just $10 everywhere, and costs 2495 Points in the LOTRO store. You could even hold back on entering the key until you've exhausted all the free content, and if you buy the starter pack mentioned on the first page, you'll have 30 days of VIP time from each.[/QUOTE]

I've seen the what they have listed as free content. It won't take you long to exhaust it. LOTRO has some very fast levelling, throughout the game but there are a variety of places to do that level. Moria will pretty much replace some of that content, not add to it... I mean you aren't typically going to do level 40 areas and quests twice with the same character. You certainly have room for more characters though, and I enjoyed Moria when I did play it. I know a lot of people that hated Moria though.

[quote name='mikon']Anyone know what the restrictions are on permanent swift mounts for F2P? Can you buy and use a swift mount only by questing/in-game silver or do you need to pay real cash? Or are F2P and Premium accounts limited to short-term rental swift mounts?

If I pick up this VIP deal at D2D and get permanently bumped up to Premium, will that allow a permanent swift mount even after the VIP month expires?[/QUOTE]
If you are a F2P account they make you buy the riding skill from the store, but I'm pretty sure you can buy a permanent mount for in-game gold once you have that.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']How much are quest packs on average? From what I understand, the original Shadows of Angmar quests are included with the free account. But any quests that were added in via updates/expansions (Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood) you have to pay for, correct?

Also, how much is VIP access a month? I couldn't find out on the main site.[/QUOTE]
Most quest packs seem to run about 500-900 points, which is about $5-$10. The original Shadows of Angmar quests are not included with a free account, once you get out of the starter areas you have to buy them or earn enough free points to unlock them. You'll get to around level 20-24 or so when you run out of free quests.

[quote name='redline']Most quest packs seem to run about 500-900 points, which is about $5-$10. The original Shadows of Angmar quests are not included with a free account, once you get out of the starter areas you have to buy them or earn enough free points to unlock them. You'll get to around level 20-24 or so when you run out of free quests.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thank you much! I was under the impression you got the majority of Shadows of Angamar for free. I guess I was way off. Where do you find out this information? I couldn't find it anywhere on the main site.

This is a great game.
The graphics are a little better than WoW in my opinion. I also like the Lord of the Rings storyline.
The free to play gives you many hours of questing. Three started areas with all of the quests included and after that, the Epic Quest line (main storyline) quests are available throughout the game for free.
Also, playing the game earns real turbine points which can be used to buy quest packs. It's possible to play through the game for free since nothing is really closed off to a free player.
I think you'll end up grinding a lot more if you don't buy anything from the store though. Not a big deal for some people.
The thing that bothered me about WoW was that since it has a monthly fee, I always feel a compulsion to play that game and nothing else. That way I get my money's worth.
With this game, I feel free to play it and don't feel bad about using my precious gameplay time on other games as well since I'm not paying a monthly fee for it.

If I buy the VIP pack off of D2D but decide to not continue a sub or anything would I just move down to a Premium player then? Because if so then I may just end up getting it. I absolutely loved the game when i played before (only did the trial) and $5 to get a bit more access (just character slots mainly) wouldn't be too shabby.

As mentioned earlier, I'm thinking I might pick up Mines of Moria Complete. It's only $8 and it has the Mines of Moria content AND the original Shadow of Angmar content. So if I bought and registered this with my account, I wouldn't need to buy any of those additional quest packs, correct? Because that would be great. It'd save me time and I'd be able to use those Turbine points I earn on other things.

[quote name='redline']If you are a F2P account they make you buy the riding skill from the store, but I'm pretty sure you can buy a permanent mount for in-game gold once you have that.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I did some more searching and it seems that if you pay for VIP once or pick up Mines of Moira and do the swift riding training quest, you can keep the skill and purchased mount even after downgrading back to Premium.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']As mentioned earlier, I'm thinking I might pick up Mines of Moria Complete. It's only $8 and it has the Mines of Moria content AND the original Shadow of Angmar content. So if I bought and registered this with my account, I wouldn't need to buy any of those additional quest packs, correct? Because that would be great. It'd save me time and I'd be able to use those Turbine points I earn on other things.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that seems like the best deal. You also get the Gold limit and Bag limit lifted too, even when you downgrade to Premium.

[quote name='mikon']Yeah, that seems like the best deal. You also get the Gold limit and Bag limit lifted too, even when you downgrade to Premium.[/QUOTE]

So I get VIP access for registering a retail version of LOTRO? I guess that makes sense as I would normally get the first 30 days free if it wasn't F2P.

Siege of Mirkwood doesn't seem to be available in retail form though. Was this a digital only expansion?

(Sorry about all of the questions! Just want to make sure I understand everything correctly.)

[quote name='hustletron']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvL-WGcoBis&p=0931A21B393A5468&playnext=1&index=3
ITT: Guild leader in Lord of the Rings getting vent harrassed[/QUOTE]

LOL When I first heard that I kept imagining the woman who keeps screaming and cursing in the audio to look something like Kyle's mom from South Park.

thumbnail.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DukeEdwardI']So I get VIP access for registering a retail version of LOTRO? I guess that makes sense as I would normally get the first 30 days free if it wasn't F2P.

Siege of Mirkwood doesn't seem to be available in retail form though. Was this a digital only expansion?

(Sorry about all of the questions! Just want to make sure I understand everything correctly.)[/QUOTE]

Apparantly once you downgrade from VIP to Premium you do lose all content that is available in Shadows of Angmar. The free content (starting areas you will still have). Now the Mines of Moria or Siege of Mirkwood content will never go away no matter what level of membership you have.

That is sort of why VIP's get 500 points a month. If they ever decide to not pay to play anymore, they can use the points to buy back parts of the game. After spending the points, it should be bound to the account forever.

My question though is this. If you get a 30 day trial say from the D2D thing or MoM expansion. Will you then get the 500 turbine points? Because you are a VIP member.

Because I did the math and I could get the angmar, north downs, low-lands quest packs and mines of moria expansion for roughly 8-9 bucks (have some amazon credit). But if you don't get the 500 turbine points during the 30 day VIP membership then I could only get the angmar quest pack and mines of moria expansion for roughly 8-9 bucks.

Either way I am pretty sure I am going to jump on board and buy the D2D thing and Mines of Moria from amazon. Liked the game during a trial and figured 8-9 bucks for that much content it totally worth it.

EDIT: Never Mind Found it on their forums and yes you do get the 500 turbine points with a 30 day sub. That should mean you can get a total of 2000 if you buy from D2D and get the MoM expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kaltic']Apparantly once you downgrade from VIP to Premium you do lose all content that is available in Shadows of Angmar. The free content (starting areas you will still have). Now the Mines of Moria or Siege of Mirkwood content will never go away no matter what level of membership you have.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, ok. Well that's still alright since I'll still have access to the Mines of Moria content which goes for 2500-3000 points. But getting that bonus 1000 points from the D2D promo and then 500 points for the next two months of having VIP access will most likely allow me to buy plenty of quest packs.

bread's done
Back