Lord of the Rings Online is now free!

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Ahh, ok. Well that's still alright since I'll still have access to the Mines of Moria content which goes for 2500-3000 points. But getting that bonus 1000 points from the D2D promo and then 500 points for the next two months of having VIP access will most likely allow me to buy plenty of quest packs.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that "deed" (i think they are called that) quests can also give you turbine points.

[quote name='Kaltic']Don't forget that "deed" (i think they are called that) quests can also give you turbine points.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know that. How many points we talking about here? And are there many of these "deed" quests available?

[quote name='Kaltic']Apparantly once you downgrade from VIP to Premium you do lose all content that is available in Shadows of Angmar. The free content (starting areas you will still have). Now the Mines of Moria or Siege of Mirkwood content will never go away no matter what level of membership you have.[/QUOTE]
Isn't the Mines of Moria Complete Edition supposed to include all the SoA content as well? The one that's $7.95 on Amazon says "This Complete Edition includes the original title Shadows of Angmar, all content updates, plus the Mines of Moria expansion."

In that case, shouldn't all the SoA content still available after downgrading to Premium?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Didn't know that. How many points we talking about here? And are there many of these "deed" quests available?[/QUOTE]

Well check this out to see (click the top right picture called "TP finder"). Remember that is beta, but it should give you a rough estimate. It isn't an outstanding amount of turbine points (for the free zones), but considering you also get the 2000 from earlier (if you buy the stuff) and purchase new quest zones with it. Then you can get even more.

But apparently this is also per character.

In reference to mikon...
Theoretically, yes. You 'lose nothing that you have already paid for.'
However, as this is the first day, there are bound to be some kinks to work out with it all. I think I just may get the $5 thing, as well as the mines of moria thing as well...seems like a great deal and good way to do it!

[quote name='mikon']Isn't the Mines of Moria Complete Edition supposed to include all the SoA content as well? The one that's $7.95 on Amazon says "This Complete Edition includes the original title Shadows of Angmar, all content updates, plus the Mines of Moria expansion."

In that case, shouldn't all the SoA content still available after downgrading to Premium?[/QUOTE]

I can't find their FAQ, but since it is repeated on Gamefaqs you can see it here on at the top of the 4th post.

EDIT: Also by using this logic you can see why you don't own Shadows of Angmar

EDIT 2: Also this says something. On the previous page is the actual FAQ. But what it is saying is that with a subscription you don't actually buy the quest packs so whenever you stop subbing you don't own anything (because you never actually bought it). Moria works because it is the expansion and no quest packs.

[quote name='Kaltic']Well check this out to see (click the top right picture called "TP finder"). Remember that is beta, but it should give you a rough estimate. It isn't an outstanding amount of turbine points (for the free zones), but considering you also get the 2000 from earlier (if you buy the stuff) and purchase new quest zones with it. Then you can get even more.

But apparently this is also per character.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, that's a very handy tool. Thanks! Kinda stinks that you have to buy the quest packs for each character, but again, with getting the 2000 points plus any I earn, it doesn't seem so bad.

[quote name='Kaltic']I can't find their FAQ, but since it is repeated on Gamefaqs you can see it here on at the top of the 4th post.

EDIT: Also by using this logic you can see why you don't own Shadows of Angmar[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the links. The second thread is a few months old and it sounded like things were still unclear.

From the FAQ, it sounds like even if you own or buy the full boxed Shadows of Angmar separately, then also buy Mines of Moria, you still will not get access to all the SoA content after downgrading to Premium, unless you're paying for VIP (or quest packs).

One more question, was there a retail Mines of Moria that only had the expansion and required SoA? Or were all the Mines of Moria boxes Complete Editions (or Collectors)?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Ahh, that's a very handy tool. Thanks! Kinda stinks that you have to buy the quest packs for each character, but again, with getting the 2000 points plus any I earn, it doesn't seem so bad.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I meant you can get POINTS per character. Everything you buy should be available to all characters. Meaning if you can get 14xx in the free place than you can get it as many times you want as long as each time you do it with a new character.

[quote name='mikon']Thanks for the links. The second thread is a few months old and it sounded like things were still unclear.

From the FAQ, it sounds like even if you own or buy the full boxed Shadows of Angmar separately, then also buy Mines of Moria, you still will not get access to all the SoA content after downgrading to Premium, unless you're paying for VIP (or quest packs).

One more question, was there a retail Mines of Moria that only had the expansion and required SoA? Or were all the Mines of Moria boxes Complete Editions (or Collectors)?[/QUOTE]

I hate edditing because I will always add something when someone else is posting. In the 2nd edit it is shown why (and is more recent, August). And I am pretty sure Mines of Moria always contained SoA.

[quote name='Kaltic']Sorry I meant you can get POINTS per character. Everything you buy should be available to all characters. Meaning if you can get 14xx in the free place than you can get it as many times you want as long as each time you do it with a new character.[/QUOTE]

It's cool. I was actually reading that Gamefaqs F2P thread and that answered a lot of questions. It's cool that you can earn points on a second character to add to your pool of TP! And you can still use the 60 day pre-paid cards (which are only $18 on Amazon right now) to get VIP access!

Anyway, that Gamefaqs thread was super helpful. I move that it gets added to the OP along with the TP Finder page that Kaltic posted. Is there a second?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']It's cool. I was actually reading that Gamefaqs F2P thread and that answered a lot of questions. It's cool that you can earn points on a second character to add to your pool of TP! And you can still use the 60 day pre-paid cards (which are only $18 on Amazon right now) to get VIP access!

Anyway, that Gamefaqs thread was super helpful. I move that it gets added to the OP along with the TP Finder page that Kaltic posted. Is there a second?[/QUOTE]

I would second that, but that seems selfish :D. One nice thing about the VIP access is that once you go from VIP to Premium (downgrade) you will still keep the VIP stuff like unlimited gold, all traits, and some more stuff for characters created during that VIP time. Of course it won't count towards characters created after VIP time, but it is still nice.

EDIT: Can't find what store purchases carry over exactly. I can tell you that subscription wide (classes, quest packs, removing gold cap) are for all characters, but other stuff I am not so sure. Obviously cosmetic stuff wouldn't be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up the $5 VIP pack and finished installing the game a few minutes ago.

With DX11 mode enabled and everything maxed out the game actually doesnt look half bad.

With all the new people signing up from the site since its now F2P... anyone interested in joining up on the same server and playing together ? Seems like it would be a good time with so many new people coming in at the same time.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Picked up the $5 VIP pack and finished installing the game a few minutes ago.

With DX11 mode enabled and everything maxed out the game actually doesnt look half bad.

With all the new people signing up from the site since its now F2P... anyone interested in joining up on the same server and playing together ? Seems like it would be a good time with so many new people coming in at the same time.[/QUOTE]

We should start a CAG LOTRO group or something. I know I have already committed (even though I shouldn't have spent the money... no job and all) to it. Visually the game is fairly good (it was made in what 2007?), but was is awesome is the draw distance.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']With all the new people signing up from the site since its now F2P... anyone interested in joining up on the same server and playing together ? Seems like it would be a good time with so many new people coming in at the same time.[/QUOTE]

I'm down with that. It'd be nice to have some cool people to chat/quest with. Anybody know of a good server that's decently populated?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I'm down with that. It'd be nice to have some cool people to chat/quest with. Anybody know of a good server that's decently populated?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but I know I started on Riddenmark (it is easy to switch to any, especially since I am still level 1, this thread is keeping me from playing). I chose that server because I disliked the game telling me I should join the server of their choice :D (suggested server).

I bet the suggested server is full of a bunch of F2P people though so it may have a ton.

[quote name='Kaltic']I'm not sure, but I know I started on Riddenmark (it is easy to switch to any, especially since I am still level 1, this thread is keeping me from playing). I chose that server because I disliked the game telling me I should join the server of their choice :D (suggested server).

I bet the suggested server is full of a bunch of F2P people though so it may have a ton.[/QUOTE]

Well I'll leave the server choice up to you guys. I'm not going to be able to start until at least tomorrow night. I should have started tonight, but like Kaltic, I was too busy reading the F2P FAQs and posting in this thread!

I'm good with Riddenmark since it doesnt seem to be one of the 3 that always has a wait. That is really the only thing that mattered to me. I was playing around with it some tonight but wont actually be doing anything serious until tomorrow as well so I am fine with whatever server we can come up with.

I'll check in the morning to see if we can get some more people then get started.

If you guys don't mind I would like to party up on the same server. I never played this before but got myself the $5 starter pack and Moria expansion is on the way.

[quote name='lurkingsalt']If you guys don't mind I would like to party up on the same server. I never played this before but got myself the $5 starter pack and Moria expansion is on the way.[/QUOTE]

If you are currently playing right now then I am on Riddermark trying to finish the 1st quest (my character stopped moving... random...) as Dwarfs. If not then we are supposed to try and get things started later in the morning.

EDIT: Ok not Ridde"n"mark. It is Ridde"r"mark.

EDIT 2: Also the 1st quest is instanced. So you will be alone in that. After that we would be able to party up.

Still installing actually. I fine with starting out w.e. just let me know.

Edit: Maybe making a group for this is not a bad idea so we don't hijack this thread completely when we start talking back and forth.

[quote name='lurkingsalt']Still installing actually. I fine with starting out w.e. just let me know.[/QUOTE]

Actually thinking about it I probably should get some sleep since I have to get up early tomorrow (Today... whatever).

Riddermark is a good choice for you guys. It's one of the 4 new servers, so lots of folks there will be new players and the economy won't be totally borked yet, so things on the auction house should be reasonably priced. It also seems to be the second most populated of the new servers, with Crickhollow being first. I'd join you but I already have 10 characters between Elendilmir, Nimrodel, and Crickhollow so I'm a bit stretched.

Also here are some helpful links if you haven't found them already:

Free 2 Play F A Q

Answers to your Questions

FAQ Comparison Chart: VIP/Premium/Free

Alright, so when I bought the VIP Starter Pack from D2D and entered the code, it required me to enter a credit card so they have something to bill the following month. My question is, if I cancel the subscription right now, will I lose VIP access or will I still have the 30 days of VIP access and then downgrade to a Premium account at the end of that?

Also, Amazon upped the price of Mines of Moria to $10! Knew I should have bought last night, but was looking for filler so I could get free shipping.

I didnt enter a credit card to start mine so I'm not sure. I selected the option that I had a game time card and then there was a box that you could check to enter the card at a later time. That way it allowed me to finish creating the VIP account without having to enter my payment information right away.

Also I made a topic in the PC Gaming Forum about the new group if you guys want to get something setup. That way it keeps it out of the deals forum.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7605967

Nevermind! Found out by clicking 'Cancel Subscription' on my Turbine account management page and it said this: "If you cancel your subscription now, it will remain active for your use and will not be deactivated until the end of the current billing cycle. You will not be billed for future months." So yes, I believe that means I'll retain VIP access for the next 30 days.

I don't know why I thought otherwise, whenever I canceled my WoW account, I still had access until the end of that billing cycle as well. It would seem incredibly stupid for them to deny you access for the month you already paid for.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Also I made a topic in the PC Gaming Forum about the new group if you guys want to get something setup. That way it keeps it out of the deals forum.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7605967[/QUOTE]

Good idea. I'll direct all my future questions/discussion there.

EDIT: [quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Can you wait to enter the VIP code from the starter pack until you hit lvl 20 or so?[/QUOTE]

I don't see why not. I'm pretty sure there wasn't an expiration date.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']

I don't see why not. I'm pretty sure there wasn't an expiration date.[/QUOTE]

I've seen conflicting reports, some people saying they added it to an existing account and others saying you need to start a new account to use it.

[quote name='hustletron']Is my hard drive dying or does this game take forever to install?[/QUOTE]

Well the game's directory for me is about 12.5GB, so it's probably the latter.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but for $5 at direct2drive for the next hour or so, you can get a month of VIP and 1k points. Will bump you to premium, so it's the cheapest way to remove a lot of the restrictions. Hell, I've got a lifetime sub and bought it just for the cheap points.

So..

Is this game any good? Is there any PVP or end-game PVE? How does it compare to the "other Juggernaut"?

It's pretty much the best PvE mmo there is, imho, especially if you like to solo. Great community. The PvP, is limited to monster play, which can be an interesting diversion, but isn't the focus of the game. It's heavily slanted towards social interaction.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']As mentioned earlier, I'm thinking I might pick up Mines of Moria Complete. It's only $8 and it has the Mines of Moria content AND the original Shadow of Angmar content. So if I bought and registered this with my account, I wouldn't need to buy any of those additional quest packs, correct? Because that would be great. It'd save me time and I'd be able to use those Turbine points I earn on other things.[/QUOTE]
It's not too hard to find the Collector's Edition of Mines of Moria Complete for only a few dollars more, which includes:

647498b.jpg

• Unique premium book packaging
  • 3 in-game item tokens that can be used to pick from 8 different in-game items
  • 22” x 22” premium quality cloth map of the Mines of Moria
  • Special gold-plated replica of The One Ring complete with chain and pouch
  • Mines of Moria poster
  • Middle-earth map
  • The Lord of the Rings Online Art and Music Collection with the official Mines of Moria Soundtrack
  • Full color Collector’s Edition Starter Guide
  • Online Community Badge for LOTRO forums
  • Includes the 2007 PC MMO Game of the Year, Shadows of Angmar, all content updates, plus the Mines of Moria expansion.
  • 30 Days Free Game Time
  • Quick Reference Card
  • Product Key Card
  • 14–day free Buddy Key Cards (3 Keys)
  • Starter guide
  • Manual (pdf)
  • Entry into the $25,000 The Treasures of Moria Instant Win and Sweepstakes (probably expired)
It's backordered on Amazon for $9.99 (shipping eta 2-3 weeks), but eBay, local Gamestops, and other places will be around $10-12. Definitely worth the few extra bucks.

See you in the Shire. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guerrilla! Managed to find a brand new copy on half.com for $11.42 shipped! That's actually cheaper than buying the standard edition and paying shipping on Amazon!

Also of note, you can find 60 day pre-paid cards for 3rd party sellers on Amazon for as low as $13 shipped! (Link) That means you get VIP access/500 Turbine Points for $6.50/month! Not too shabby...

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Thanks Guerrilla! Managed to find a brand new copy on half.com for $11.42 shipped! That's actually cheaper than buying the standard edition and paying shipping on Amazon!

Also of note, you can find 60 day pre-paid cards for 3rd party sellers on Amazon for as low as $13 shipped! (Link) That means you get VIP access/500 Turbine Points for $6.50/month! Not too shabby...[/QUOTE]

I would have loved that collector's thing, but I have amazon prime so it was still cheaper. But anyway it is way more worth it to get that now because it is now $9.50 at amazon rather than the $8 it was last night. They must be selling a lot so they raised the price or something.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Thanks Guerrilla! Managed to find a brand new copy on half.com for $11.42 shipped! That's actually cheaper than buying the standard edition and paying shipping on Amazon!

Also of note, you can find 60 day pre-paid cards for 3rd party sellers on Amazon for as low as $13 shipped! (Link) That means you get VIP access/500 Turbine Points for $6.50/month! Not too shabby...[/QUOTE]Thanks for the heads up on that. Snagged a copy for the 11.42 shipped at half. I have amazon prime, too, but I live in washington, so after tax, the difference would have been so nominal, that I thought it was a way better deal to spend the dollar more to get all the extras.

[quote name='hustletron']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvL-WGcoBis&p=0931A21B393A5468&playnext=1&index=3
ITT: Guild leader in Lord of the Rings getting vent harrassed[/QUOTE]

I think people that do this kind of harrassment are pretty lame, but given how this woman is reacting I can understand the temptation. I just kept thinking "Lady, shut the hell up and he'll eventually stop. He's only doing it to get a reaction out of you and it's working."

Very wrong, but still very funny.

I feel very sorry for her son having to grow up with a mother like that.

I've never played an MMORPG, unless you count fiddling around with Phantasy Star Online on my cousin's Dreamcast. Now, if only this thing would download. It was stalled yesterday, and I just restarted it: 1% with 10 hours left.

[quote name='Trelow']Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but for $5 at direct2drive for the next hour or so, you can get a month of VIP and 1k points. Will bump you to premium, so it's the cheapest way to remove a lot of the restrictions. Hell, I've got a lifetime sub and bought it just for the cheap points.[/QUOTE]

Did you already apply your codes to your acccount? I bought one of these, but only applied the 1,000 points now and since I'm just starting the game today I figured I'd wait to use the VIP code until I was getting close to the limits of the free content.

I'm also thinking I should have bought a few of these codes while they were on sale for $5, assuming they could stack. That probably would have been the best deal overal ($50 would have gotten you 10,000 points + 10 months of VIP access + another 5,000 points over those 10 months). Oh well, there's always a chance they might not have stacked and Direct2Drive was going to force me to place a separate order for each item (I didn't see any way to add multiple copies of the VIP package).

[quote name='jedimario']So if you get the Moria Mines Collector's edition, do you still need to sign up for VIP?[/QUOTE]
From what I understand, both the collector's edition and regular edition come with a 1-month prepaid subscription; in other words, one month of VIP with purchase.

[quote name='riddler']What world are you guys currently playing in?[/QUOTE]

Riddermark or Riddenmark? One of those, I made a toon there and I think a few others have as well. I have to reinstall cuz my hard drive crashed uhggggg 5 hours later again.

[quote name='Maskim']Thanks for the heads up on that. Snagged a copy for the 11.42 shipped at half. I have amazon prime, too, but I live in washington, so after tax, the difference would have been so nominal, that I thought it was a way better deal to spend the dollar more to get all the extras.[/QUOTE]

Did you buy it from user 'k2kusa'? Because that's who I bought it from as well. Hopefully he has more the one copy. #-o

bread's done
Back