Lord of the Rings Online is now free!

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Did you buy it from user 'k2kusa'? Because that's who I bought it from as well. Hopefully he has more the one copy. #-o[/QUOTE]
:lol: That's who I bought from on eBay. He had sold ~70 copies prior to today stretching back to June 2010, and has good feedback for the ones he previously sold. He had 10~15 available copies when I bought mine, so I imagine if you ordered right after me you're golden.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Did you already apply your codes to your acccount?[/quote]

I applied the points code, and gave the other one away, didn't need it, have a lifetime sub.

I'm also thinking I should have bought a few of these codes while they were on sale for $5, assuming they could stack. That probably would have been the best deal overal ($50 would have gotten you 10,000 points + 10 months of VIP access + another 5,000 points over those 10 months). Oh well, there's always a chance they might not have stacked and Direct2Drive was going to force me to place a separate order for each item (I didn't see any way to add multiple copies of the VIP package).

Yea, I couldn't buy more. Every time I tried they took it out of my cart. Could have made more accounts I guess, but wasn't worth the hassle to me.

[quote name='Guerrilla']:lol: That's who I bought from on eBay. He had sold ~70 copies prior to today stretching back to June 2010, and has good feedback for the ones he previously sold. He had 10~15 available copies when I bought mine, so I imagine if you ordered right after me you're golden.[/QUOTE]

Thats the same guy I got mine from a couple of weeks ago. It did say he had almost 200 in stock at one point but he changed the quantity a few days ago. Makes me wonder if hes going to put them back up at a higher price. I hope not because I wanted to get my brother one.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Did you buy it from user 'k2kusa'? Because that's who I bought it from as well. Hopefully he has more the one copy. #-o[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's who I got from, too. Although, he's now out of stock, when my wife decided she wants a copy too, so I found a seller closer to home in Seattle who had the regular edition for $5.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']
Also of note, you can find 60 day pre-paid cards for 3rd party sellers on Amazon for as low as $13 shipped! (Link) That means you get VIP access/500 Turbine Points for $6.50/month! Not too shabby...[/QUOTE]

Actually, I just found the 60-day cards on Amazon for $8.98 + $3.95 shipping, but if you buy more than one the shipping stays the same. So if you buy 3 (like I did), the costs was $10.30 per card.

I also picked up a second MoM CE for $9.99 (free Prime shipping) just in case my wife decides to get into the game since this seems to be a very cost effecive way to get the MoM content, 2 extra char slots, 1 month of VIP, 500 points and some other extras.

My plan is to level up a handful of toons to the limit of the free content before adding any of the codes that will activate VIP features so my VIP time is spent on VIP-exclusive content.

Does anyone know what the cost for Siege of Mirkwood is (appears to only be available in-game but it isn't listed for me under Premium Items/Expansion Packs (maybe I need to add a code for MoM first?).

Anyone else having some supreme lag issues? I downloaded the higher resolution version (2.27ghz, 4gb ram, and geforce 310M) and put it on lowest vid settings, but I think i'd better just download the lower resolution version.

=(

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Actually, I just found the 60-day cards on Amazon for $8.98 + $3.95 shipping, but if you buy more than one the shipping stays the same. So if you buy 3 (like I did), the costs was $10.30 per card.
[/QUOTE]
Nice catch sir- I just ordered the last 3 from that vendor. :D

Also, I think the regular and special editions of Shadows of Angmar come with another free month. I can't find confirmation, but if that stacks.. :drool: Can anyone confirm?

[quote name='Trelow']Yea, older servers especially are fubar right now.[/QUOTE]

how can you tell which servers are the older ones?

[quote name='Guerrilla']Nice catch sir- I just ordered the last 3 from that vendor. :D

Also, I think the regular and special editions of Shadows of Angmar come with another free month. I can't find confirmation, but if that stacks.. :drool: Can anyone confirm?[/QUOTE]

Good for you, but I think you might have bought the last from a different vendor (one I was also checking out) that only had 5 left when I last checked. I say this beacuse I changed my mind and decided to order 10 cards instead of just 3, but when I tried to do it with the same vendor (before cancelling my order for 3) it would only let me add 5 to my cart. So I took a risk and cancelled my order for 3, and then after a few tries it finally let me add 8 to my cart. After that, this vendor showed no more stock, so I think I got the last of the cards from this vendor (I just really hope his inventory count was accurate!).

So these low-priced cards seem to be selling out pretty quickly (thanks to CAGers like us).

I'm pretty sure SoA does come with a 30-day code, but from what I was reading it sounds like it might not work if you've already added a MoM code to your account because this would essentially be a downgrade. And you can't add more than one expansion pack code per account.

And to be honest, I'm not 100% positive a SoA code is worth it because it is also selling for around $8-9 but only gives you 30 days and doesn't add any new content not already part of a 60-day code, so I'd spend the money on another 60-day card if you can get it for around $10.

So, I'm starting to realize that this "Free" game has now cost me about $100!!! ;) Weren't they previously selling lifetime subs for something like $200? I think I'll stop spending money and just focus on playing now.

But on the positive side, I went with the 60-day cards to get access to VIP content AND points rather than buying points to purchase content because I can always resell the unused cards if I decide to stop playing.

[quote name='riddler']how can you tell which servers are the older ones?[/QUOTE]

You aren't recommended them. :)

Server issue thread

I know Brandywine is screwed right now. It was one of the launch servers. That and Landroval are the two busiest.

Riddermark, Imladris, Crickhollow and Dwarrowdelf are the new servers that launched for f2p.

How are you suppose to register for an account? everytime I click the get started page I go to a page that says you can try it free for 10 days, then when I click that page I get sent back to the homepage.

[quote name='saiyajinsc']How are you suppose to register for an account? everytime I click the get started page I go to a page that says you can try it free for 10 days, then when I click that page I get sent back to the homepage.[/QUOTE]

I was having the problem too when trying to register under IE so I switched to FireFox and registration worked fine...who knows why.

[quote name='Trelow']You aren't recommended them. :)

Server issue thread

I know Brandywine is screwed right now. It was one of the launch servers. That and Landroval are the two busiest.

Riddermark, Imladris, Crickhollow and Dwarrowdelf are the new servers that launched for f2p.[/QUOTE]

I'm on Dwarrowdelf as it suggested, and im new to the game. it started lagging pretty bad in some areas and there was a good 15min wait at the start. im assuming alot of people are starting to play now.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I was having the problem too when trying to register under IE so I switched to FireFox and registration worked fine...who knows why.[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot, Firefox worked for me.

So which servers do you guys recommend choosing out of curiosity? I browsed that site server site that someone posted, but I couldn't find a good server (since people talked about the bad ones). Thanks though!

[quote name='Nesmaster75']So which servers do you guys recommend choosing out of curiosity? I browsed that site server site that someone posted, but I couldn't find a good server (since people talked about the bad ones). Thanks though![/QUOTE]

Riddermark is where it looks like the CAGs are gathering. See the following CAG LOTO topic for the details:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272546

Of course, I found out after I had created my first toon on Dwarrowdelf (sp?) and leveled it up to 8, so I'm starting a new one on Riddermark.

[quote name='Guerrilla']It's not too hard to find the Collector's Edition of Mines of Moria Complete for only a few dollars more, which includes:

647498b.jpg

• Unique premium book packaging
  • 3 in-game item tokens that can be used to pick from 8 different in-game items
  • 22” x 22” premium quality cloth map of the Mines of Moria
  • Special gold-plated replica of The One Ring complete with chain and pouch
  • Mines of Moria poster
  • Middle-earth map
  • The Lord of the Rings Online Art and Music Collection with the official Mines of Moria Soundtrack
  • Full color Collector’s Edition Starter Guide
  • Online Community Badge for LOTRO forums
  • Includes the 2007 PC MMO Game of the Year, Shadows of Angmar, all content updates, plus the Mines of Moria expansion.
  • 30 Days Free Game Time
  • Quick Reference Card
  • Product Key Card
  • 14–day free Buddy Key Cards (3 Keys)
  • Starter guide
  • Manual (pdf)
  • Entry into the $25,000 The Treasures of Moria Instant Win and Sweepstakes (probably expired)

See you in the Shire. ;)[/QUOTE]
Still $9.99 from Amazon and shipping 9/17/10 (according to my latest email).

[quote name='Guerrilla']Still $9.99 from Amazon and shipping 9/17/10 (according to my latest email).[/QUOTE]

I think this is definitely worthy buying at this price because it is more than half off the in-game store price AND it comes with 30-days of VIP time (if you buy it from the in-game store I read that it doesn't come with any VIP time).

And I too got the email that it will ship in the next couple of days (rather than the 2-3 weeks it shows on Amazon).

[quote name='DarkonJohn']
Does anyone know what the cost for Siege of Mirkwood is (appears to only be available in-game but it isn't listed for me under Premium Items/Expansion Packs (maybe I need to add a code for MoM first?).[/QUOTE]

SoM is 1995 TP. I wanted to get it before the F2P switch, but I was too low on cash at the time. If you go by strictly point packs available, you'd need to either get a $10 and $25 TP card from GS or buy the $29 point pack to have enough points to get it (and this is $10 more of real-world money than it would have cost prior to the F2P switch). I was planning to buy it using the $19 point pack + the 1,000 points I got from picking up a VIP starter pack from D2D during the sale last week ($4.95), thus saving $5 (see, cheap). However, my Paypal transaction refused to go through twice last night, so I'm waiting to see what's going on with that; sometimes my bank gives me grief about international transactions, depending on the country where the site is registered.

So is this worth it? Is there much free content? Does it need a credit card? Is it playable single player?

And that Duke video was probably even more fun than the game, although I SHOULDN'T be laughing :lol:

Didn't realize there was a thread for LOTRO here on CAG. I've been playing since F2P (actually got in the last weekend of beta) and am having a lot of fun. Of course, the CAG in me wanted to get the best "bang for my buck" so I did what others have suggested.

1) Snagged MoM complete from amazon for $7.95.

2) Got in on that $4.95 VIP starter pack from last weekend.

So $12.95, I've got VIP status (for now), and all the perks of that for my characters. And I've got Moria, so I don't have to spend TP on it. I got the 1000 TP for the starter pack, got 500 afterwards for my VIP status (so that deal was worth 1500TP total), and have earned about 250 TP so far. My plan is to unlock a few Quest Packs along the way so I can easily get to 50, then spend the rest of my points on Mirkwood so I'll have the entire game for $12.95, and never have to pay a sub. woots!

Oh, and I'm really diggin this game. I'm a long time MMO vet, currently an endgame WoW player, but LOTRO has a way more laid back, enjoy the PvE/Questing feel, and looks beautiful (The Shire I think looks pretty amazing). At first, I was all gung-ho to race to 65 (its the WoW player in me), but after playing a few days, I totally would rather slow down and enjoy the ride.

My only gripe - wish that 24 hour horse you start with lasted longer than 24 hours! Walking everywhere in the Shire kinda bites...oh well only 4 levels to go until I get a permanent mount (another great VIP perk)!

Oh, and don't know if its already posted (didn't read through everything) but here's a link to the list of all Turbine Points in the game - its great for F2P players to plan on how to get all the stuff for free!

http://lotro.mmorsel.com/p/tpfinder.html

Oh, one more tip. There is a quest at the start of the dwarven area (after the tutorial) where you get 10TP - its supposed to teach to you how to spend TP. But if you instead save it (don't use it to unlock the quest like the quest giver wants you to), you can use it to buy other things! Now you can do this quest once per server. Since TP is account-wide, if you make a dwarf on each server and do this quest, you end up with like 100 extra TP! That's more than 1/3 of the way to the first quest pack for doing nothing other than making a character.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So is this worth it? Is there much free content? Does it need a credit card? Is it playable single player?

And that Duke video was probably even more fun than the game, although I SHOULDN'T be laughing :lol:[/QUOTE]

I think Faithful posted some good tips, but to directly answer your questions:

1) Yes, it's worth downloading the client if you enjoy the setting (like many nerds, myself included). The F2P (without spending real world $) areas comprise a substantial amount of content (or what seems so to me): essentially it's the entire main quest from Shadows of Angmar.

2) It may be because I'm premium but I haven't noticed much of a difference except for the utter lack of non-VIP or paid-for fast-travel, which does seem a bit lame.

3) You don't, at least in theory, need a credit card. You can play all F2P content for the low low price of free. If you want Turbine Points to buy gemgaws or quest packs, you will earn some by completing quests or you can buy TP cards at GameStop or you can buy them from the store using Paypal. However, you're not required to buy any.

4) I have a level 12 elf champion and have invested a number of hours in the game; my experience so far (maybe someone else has a different perspective) is that the PvE quests scale from solo to group, depending on which way you are playing.

Been playing it for a bit now (level 12 Elf Hunter on Riddermark named Ghostshark) and I like it. Even if it is a pseudo-WoW clone. I find it plenty enjoyable in short stints. Love free games.

I love how much lore there is behind this game. Kind of makes me want to just read the books, though, or play a single-player game, or play WoW.

I wonder if WoW will ever go f2p?

I'm going to keep trying to warm up to this one. Can't beat free. I sure do suck at games where you have an icon bar and have to arrange them and click click click though. I never know what order to arrange them in.

WoW will never go free to play because Blizzard loves their money and with Cata right around the corner, plenty of players -- myself included -- will be coming back to the game.

D2D has the VIP starter pack for $14.95 after $5 code (PAX or PAX2010). While not as good as the $4.95 a week back, it gives 1000 Turbine points and a month of VIP (for an additional 500 Turbine points and other bonuses). Completely worth it, and you can stack Shadows SE and Moria on it for extra VIP months.

[quote name='GhostShark']WoW will never go free to play because Blizzard loves their money and with Cata right around the corner, plenty of players -- myself included -- will be coming back to the game.[/QUOTE]

In general, MMOs are not going F2P because they think they will make less money. They go F2P because they think they can make more money using that model.

What's Age of Conan doing these days? I bought a boxed copy (I think it was the collector's set) on clearance a long time ago and was planning to enjoy the free 30 days at some point, but I have no idea where I put it. I can't figure out why I would have gotten rid of it, if I did, and if not, what the hell did I do with it?

Oh well.

Anyway, I was just wondering of Conan might be going F2P eventually.

Jesse, I just read about the Expansion, Rise of the God Slayer, that seems to be a necessary purchase to make the game more fun after level 20. Otherwise the post 20 levels of SP stuff feels very bare and there's not a lot of end-game content. The expansion is supposed to fix that.

From my personal experience, I tried LOTR and DDO recently, and I didn't have as much fun in them as I did in WoW. Part of that is the production values are much more solid in WoW, IMHO, that when I played other MMOs they just felt unfinished or I didn't like their mechanics as much.

bread's done
Back