Lord of the Rings Online Lifetime Subscription Deal Returns

figcoinc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
To the MMO playing CAGs out there who enjoyed LOTRO this may be of interest. I will copy the deal here, and provide the link for your convenience. :bouncy:

http://www.lotro.com/anniversarypromo

To celebrate the 1 year anniversary of The Lord of the Rings OnlineTM: Shadows of AngmarTM, Turbine is excited to bring you a very special subscription offer. Now through June 1, 2008, you can subscribe for only $9.99 a month!

The Lord of the Rings Online anniversary promotion lets new and existing subscribers play for only $9.99 a month when they sign up for three months or more of service!
  • 3 Month plans are $29.97 (Save 33%)
  • 6 Month plans are $57.99 (Save 35%)
  • 12 Month plans are $112.99 (Save 37%)
And for the first time since launch, we're re-opening access to our LOTRO Lifetime Membership for only $199!
Single-month subscriptions remain at $14.99. Promotional offers subject to certain terms and conditions.
Players who subscribe during the anniversary and select a promotional multi-month plan will continue to be billed every 3, 6, or 12 months as long as they maintain an active account with The Lord of the Rings Online or until they choose a different billing plan. Players who currently subscribe to The Lord of the Rings Online and select the special offer will be transferred to the anniversary subscription package once they have completed their current subscription plan. Players who choose the Lifetime Membership will be upgraded at the end of their current billing cycle.

This special offer only lasts until June 1, 2008. To sign up for this limited time offer buy your copy today from store.turbine.com or go to myaccount.turbine.com and join us in Middle-earthTM!
*Special anniversary offer. Play for $9.99 a month or less when you sign up for a multi-month subscription plan. Participating players will be billed $29.97, $57.99, $112.99, or $199.00 for their selected subscription or membership plan. Offer valid from April 24, 2008 to June 1, 2008.

I just wonder if the game will exist long enough for this to matter... Personally, I liked the beta, but I've never bought the retail game and most likely won't.

At the lifetime price based on their sub rate you'd need the game to be live for at least a bit over 2 years.

Not to say it won't be, but its just not good. I can't see anyone actually getting their moneys worth and playing it for a full year, let alone two.

The game will be alive 2 years, they still keep Asheron's call alive and that game came out in nov 1999. Theres not a ton of people that play that game, but it's still going. I don't think turbine is going to pull the plug on this so soon.

LOTRO has a decent-sized playerbase, just generally not as annoying as the WoW kiddies. Anyways, I'd advise it to people who are interested. I paid mine when the beta was up. Fishing just got added :D

You can also purchase the game from the site and use the code "ring4ten" and get either the electronic download version of the game or get the actual physical game for 10 bucks.Shipping for the physical game starts at 7 bucks though.

Almost forgot***Both the downloaded game and the boxed game include 30 free days.

This game has done well from what I read. It is no WoW in terms of suscriptions, but honestly nothing is currently (well some Korean ones might be). If I remember this game has the third highest subscription rates next Wow and EQ2. So, I do not get when people say this game will not last 2 more years.

If UO can last all these years, along with Dark age of Camelot, and many others this one will as well. Plus if you add up the original subscription cost (14.99 a month) it means that if you play this game for 13 months you get what you paid for. The rest is au gratis.

I personally have to think hard about taking advantage of this deal, but I do not see it being a risky option if you enjoy LOTRO. If it was say Tabula Rasa (which I was really disappointed in) I would be more hesitant.

[quote name='Luthien']You can also purchase the game from the site and use the code "ring4ten" and get either the electronic download version of the game or get the actual physical game for 10 bucks.Shipping for the physical game starts at 7 bucks though.

Almost forgot***Both the downloaded game and the boxed game include 30 free days.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I got my copy for $5 at some YMMV clearance at my local Target. Though $10 for this game is worth it. :bouncy:

To me its a question of can you get your moneys worth out of it. Most people I've seen play LOTRO have lasted MAYBE 6 months before the fanboism goes away and they realize it just is a sub par WoW clone with nothing particularly notable to bring to the table. If you only play it for 6 months and never play it again (which is probably pretty likely), you basically paid to play $30 a month for 6 months.

Granted, it is still better than a lot of MMOs, but that goes to the quality of most of them, in that most are garbage. Just because servers are up doesn't mean its "thriving". Take EQ1, the biggest problem with that game is no one plays it, so accessability to do anything is terrible. It isn't necessarily a bad game, but when there is no one to do anything with it gets boring super fast, and I am sure that game will be up another 10 years. At least it has something like 20 expansions of content to fall back on.

I have trouble calling it a "WoW clone" seeing WoW basically just copied from every other 3d MMO before it. This game does things WoW doesn't.

Anyways, I've played for a year now, but I don't play very hardcore. Lifetime sub thing to me means I don't have to rush in leveling or worry about doing so much at a time.

Oh, remember that the first expansion is due out soon.

[quote name='_Sin_']The game will be alive 2 years, they still keep Asheron's call alive and that game came out in nov 1999.[/QUOTE]

But Ashron's Call 2 came out in November of 2002 and was killed off in December of 2005. Earth and Beyond didn't even last 2 years. So it's not like the continued support of this game is guaranteed either. Hard to say just how many subscribers it has, but at this point I wouldn't assume it's going to last indefinitely when many other MMORPGs have seen an early demise.

I wonder how many people would benefit from the lifetime offer though. Even if you do plan on playing the game for years, paying monthly would let you discontinue your subscription when you aren't using it and renew it when you want to play it again. MMORPGs are finicky when it comes to changes brought about throughout the lifecycle of the product too, at some point something about the game may be so drastically altered that you don't WANT to play it anymore (*cough*Star Wars Galaxies*cough*).

[quote name='Edge'] (*cough*Star Wars Galaxies*cough*).[/quote]

What did happen to Star Wars Galaxies? Never kept up with it. Seemed like after what a lot of people wanted (playing a Jedi) was implemented everything went downhill fast.

Also you can not truly compare Asherons call to LOTRO. Reason is that Asherons call never had that strong of support to begin with. People played it, but is was never the hit LOTRO was. So their initial install base was kind of low to begin with. I put that game in the Tabula Rasa category. If a game starts slow, it very rarely picks up enough to be stable. Though if it starts strong it has more longevity because the popularity draws more players, and people are willing to stay on longer due to the time they put into their toons. I do see what you are saying, but I think it is not as risky as others MMOs out there.

The question of how much worth you get out of it is an issue. Though most MMO players tend to jump back to old games from time to time frequently. In this case even if you stopped playing for 3 months, and go back you still didn't lose anything.

Plus Turbine is a solid company, and does listen to the subscribers on things. So I trust them to not break the whole thing. Unlike...say SOE..... *grumble*

I played LOTRO for 2 months(Dec and jan) caped and did all the raid content. Its while it lasts. Its much better than all the other mmo's that came out last year (tabula Rasa, Vanguard, Fury). However there is a Big mmo coming out in the next 30 days (its AOC)

[quote name='DrNo888']No more MMORPGs for me. Everquest was enough for a lifetime.[/quote]
Oh gawd you're so right... I was with EQ for nearly 5 years. The MMO has to be friggun godly amazing for me to ever touch another one again.

I can't really pass judgement on LotR, I played during the beta stage, it was interesting but I really don't see the point in paying a lifetime subscription to an MMO. Nothing is forever.

[quote name='danh920']can preexisting, nonactive members get in on this?[/quote]

To be honest I am not sure. I do not see why not. You can cancel....then re-up with it I would assume. Just call Turbine to make sure. :)

Just picked it up the other day from Target for $5 on clearance. It's not bad, but it does feel like it is missing something though. Well worth the $5 if you can find it.

I picked this up for $5 at Target as well. Probably close to the best $5 I ever spent. Its prettier than WoW, almost as polished, and I like Middle Earth far more than Azeroth.

I'm actually pretty tempted by the $199 lifetime offer. Even if I didn't play for 2 years solid it would really get rid of that annoying "playing only because I'm paying" feeling and I could just jump in and out whenever the mood strikes me.

Seriously - every single MMO I've ever played always ends with a solid month of me just grinding away even though I'd really like to stop playing. Then I quit. Then about a half a year later I want to go back but can't bring myself to face the monthly fees again. *sigh*

[quote name='nexen']
Seriously - every single MMO I've ever played always ends with a solid month of me just grinding away even though I'd really like to stop playing. Then I quit. Then about a half a year later I want to go back but can't bring myself to face the monthly fees again. *sigh*[/quote]

You know, I am the same way. I currently am playing WoW, and the customer service from Blizzard has be great to me (I had some tech/billing issues). Though to be able to join one game, and play anytime I like for the constant content Turbine gives for free and the add-ons is pretty good. The game is solid as well. Plus most MMO's do not grow into their own until a expansion or two comes out. The new one is coming soon, so that should add a lot to the whole game. :cool:

[quote name='figcoinc']What did happen to Star Wars Galaxies? Never kept up with it. Seemed like after what a lot of people wanted (playing a Jedi) was implemented everything went downhill fast.
[/QUOTE]

I think this article in wikipedia sums it about up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies#New_Game_Enhancements

Even though I've never played it, the gist I've gotten both from that article as well as posts I've read from former SWG players, is that SOE basically took a game where you could pursue many different paths, and turned it into a generic MMO with a level grind.

[quote name='figcoinc']You know, I am the same way. I currently am playing WoW, and the customer service from Blizzard has be great to me (I had some tech/billing issues). Though to be able to join one game, and play anytime I like for the constant content Turbine gives for free and the add-ons is pretty good. The game is solid as well. Plus most MMO's do not grow into their own until a expansion or two comes out. The new one is coming soon, so that should add a lot to the whole game. :cool:[/quote]

Blizzard and customer service... HAH!
Anyways yea, the LOTRO patches are huge, one just came out, book 13 I believe. Full expansion is coming soon and it looks to be awesome, and seriously, people, get in on this while you can.

[quote name='georox']Blizzard and customer service... HAH!
Anyways yea, the LOTRO patches are huge, one just came out, book 13 I believe. Full expansion is coming soon and it looks to be awesome, and seriously, people, get in on this while you can.[/quote]

I know Blizzard gets a bad rap, but to be very honest in my certain situation they went beyond what I would expect to help me. Either they got their act together, or I just got really lucky!! :applause:

I am now leaning more toward getting this. Just a question for the vetern LOTRO players. I seem to get a lot of lag in the intro quest. Normal? My setup is not the best (it used to be but I had to sell it...:bomb:) so I have to play on Med. or low settings. Is lag a issue or is it mainly in the starting areas like Breeland?

I'm on a DSL connection, only lag I get is graphical lag, no server to client generally. I'd say turn settings down/upgrade your PC a little bit.

[quote name='georox']I'm on a DSL connection, only lag I get is graphical lag, no server to client generally. I'd say turn settings down/upgrade your PC a little bit.[/quote]

Wish I could upgrade. I had a great PC over a year ago, but had to sell it. I am now using my brother's PC. A old Pentium-D with 1 gig. I put a 8400GS in there (it was very cheap) just to get something out of it. I just do not want to put any more money in his PC than I have too. I will wait till I can get my own again. Which I would build myself of course! :cool:

I am just assuming that I am getting graphical lag. Oh well. Maybe I'll invest in a cheap ram stick for this thing.

What I'll do after I get settled in I will play my 30 days free and if I think it is worth it I'll do the lifetime. :bouncy:

I sprung for the Lifetime deal at launch and I have no regrets. Turbine has the LOTR license till at least 2015, so I'm not really worried about longevity. And when Champions Online hits next year, I won't guilty about not playing LOTRO every day because I'm not "paying" for it. :D

[quote name='TheDeadEye']I sprung for the Lifetime deal at launch and I have no regrets. Turbine has the LOTR license till at least 2015, so I'm not really worried about longevity. And when Champions Online hits next year, I won't guilty about not playing LOTRO every day because I'm not "paying" for it. :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah same here, I'm a lifetimer since launch. And honestly I still play the hell out of this game. No game has ever kept me entertained this long.

[quote name='redline']Yeah same here, I'm a lifetimer since launch. And honestly I still play the hell out of this game. No game has ever kept me entertained this long.[/quote]

That is good to know. I may have to buy some ram for my bro's PC.

His PC is

Core Duo
1 gig ram
8400 GS video card

I can only play it on med/low or I get a lot of video lag. So I think some ram will help that. I then will sign up for the free month, then if I enjoy myself sign up for lifetime. :bouncy:

bread's done
Back