Lost my job.. now need to find a new one!

The Dord

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Lost my job.. Now I need to find a new one!

I just got fired Wednesday and I'm pretty down and out. I've been looking online for a job but they all require college degrees of one sort or another.

This is the skills I have (non-job related):

- 14+ Years of computer literacy including Word, Works (Spreadsheet, Database)
- Experience with cell phones (Nextel,Cingular, and some Sprint phones

(Job-related skills)

- 4.5 years of customer service, stock, and sales service (Meijer Grocery Dept.)
- Worked in a cold (-0F and below climate) freezer and refrigerator.

I have a difficult time finding a job that could use my computer and technology assets, but I wasn't rich/good enough to be able to go to college for myself. I live in the Belleville/Ypsilanti area and I am willing to go up to 25 miles from where I live.

I used to make $12.35 an hour and I am looking to make over $9 an hour. Health Benefits are mandatory, since my last job cancelled my health insurance a month later after I obtained it. (I'm trying to work out a $4,000 bill with the hospital out someway, I'm poor).

Other than that, I don't care what other perks are included. I live in the state with one of the highest Jobless rates in the nation, so I have a big hill to climb.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I already put an application with Sprint back in August but they never called back (Direct Sales in store)

Thank you

You'd be more employable if you just got here from another country and didn't speak English.

I mean, you don't put that cell phone stuff in your real resume do you?

"Hey, look at me, I've master using the portable phone, well, all except some of the Sprint ones, but, you know, those Sprint people are a crafty bunch."

[quote name='JimmieMac']You'd be more employable if you just got here from another country and didn't speak English.

"Hey, look at me, I've master using the portable phone, well, all except some of the Sprint ones, but, you know, those Sprint people are a crafty bunch."[/QUOTE]

No.. it's just one of my non-job skills, so it didn't go on the resume.. Just the computer one did.

I don't mock myself like that, I just mention that I have some skills in computers.. I don't tell them that "I am 3l1t3 h4xx0rzs, ph43r m3 b1tch3z!" on there! :rofl:

[quote name='JimmieMac']You'd be more employable if you just got here from another country and didn't speak English.

"Hey, look at me, I've master using the portable phone, well, all except some of the Sprint ones, but, you know, those Sprint people are a crafty bunch."[/QUOTE]

I don't mock myself like that, I just mention that I have some skills in computers.. I don't tell them that "I am 3l1t3 h4xx0rzs, ph43r m3 b1tch3z!" on there! :rofl:

[quote name='darkmere']out of curiosity, what exactly did you get fired for?[/QUOTE]

For eating on the clock. My boss was one of those strict types that keeps an eye on everyone.. in a very harrassing way (always checking your punches, bugging you to death to do stuff for them, etc).

[quote name='The Dord']For eating on the clock. My boss was one of those strict types that keeps an eye on everyone.. in a very harrassing way (always checking your punches, bugging you to death to do stuff for them, etc).[/quote]

You should have defended yourself by telling your boss that you were "taking a working lunch". Anyways, you couldn't have waited until your scheduled lunch break to eat?

I used to work for a small company that found people for computer related jobs. They have huge databases that I believe I have the passwords to still. It is mostly computer related stuff. I will post here if I find anything good in your area.

[quote name='shieryda']You should have defended yourself by telling your boss that you were "taking a working lunch". Anyways, you couldn't have waited until your scheduled lunch break to eat?[/QUOTE]

They're not scheduled, but if I didn't eat I'd get nauseated.. I should of just punched out anyways. Other people snack and that on the job and never saw them get get in trouble.. Nothing I can do about it now.

[quote name='ananag112']I used to work for a small company that found people for computer related jobs. They have huge databases that I believe I have the passwords to still. It is mostly computer related stuff. I will post here if I find anything good in your area.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help :) Any positive comments work for me.

Go to school. You can even just go to the local Community College and see what sorts of 2 year certification programs they have.

[quote name='kakomu']Go to school. You can even just go to the local Community College and see what sorts of 2 year certification programs they have.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I couldn't do that right now since I need to find a job soon.. I have $4000 worth of medical bills to pay b/c of no health insurance. :D

[quote name='The Dord']For eating on the clock. My boss was one of those strict types that keeps an eye on everyone.. in a very harrassing way (always checking your punches, bugging you to death to do stuff for them, etc).[/quote]

What kind of job did you get fired from?

I don't know that you'll find a job w/benefits right off. You may have to call the hospital, tell them you're unemployed and say you'll claim bankruptcy if you can't work something out, then they won't get a cent.

Since you have computer skills, you may want to check out something like Best Buy's geek squad. I know someone who spent 18 months there, then doors started to open at other places because the Best Buy name was so recognizable.

Or you could try a temp agency. It won't be as much money as you're shooting for, but it should hover around $9 an hour. I used to do that in college, so a degree wasn't necessary. Very often I'd get a job for two days to help with something extra, then they'd see I had a brain and retain me for other things for weeks or months at a time.

I would also suggest posting your resume on monster and hotjobs. The last couple jobs my husband got off of his resume posting.

Good luck, man. The job search sucks.

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']What kind of job did you get fired from?[/QUOTE]

Meijer.. I worked in Grocery Dept at the Belleville Store.

[quote name='browneyedgal68']I don't know that you'll find a job w/benefits right off. You may have to call the hospital, tell them you're unemployed and say you'll claim bankruptcy if you can't work something out, then they won't get a cent.

Since you have computer skills, you may want to check out something like Best Buy's geek squad. I know someone who spent 18 months there, then doors started to open at other places because the Best Buy name was so recognizable.

Or you could try a temp agency. It won't be as much money as you're shooting for, but it should hover around $9 an hour. I used to do that in college, so a degree wasn't necessary. Very often I'd get a job for two days to help with something extra, then they'd see I had a brain and retain me for other things for weeks or months at a time.

I would also suggest posting your resume on monster and hotjobs. The last couple jobs my husband got off of his resume posting.

Good luck, man. The job search sucks.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to be heading up to the unemployment office to see if I qualify for MARVIN, I might have to do bankruptcy if it gets down to it. You should see our unemployment rate in michigan.

I'll definitely try the Temps and Geek squad. My resume's been on Monster for about one year, I renew it once a month. Even an job at Gamestop would be lovely :)

How old are you. Restaurants are always hiring. After you get the medical bill worked out go to school. Also go to your local temp service, they should be able to place you in a job.

[quote name='Graystone']How old are you. Restaurants are always hiring. After you get the medical bill worked out go to school. Also go to your local temp service, they should be able to place you in a job.[/QUOTE]

If your hospital admission is within the last few months and you have no income you might be eligible for Medicaid or other similar type of assistance. I know you would be in NY State. If you haven't explored this, it might be a good idea before the bill gets too "old." In NY, I know only bills incurred within the 3 months prior to applying for help can be picked up.

Good luck with your job search!

[quote name='CheapyMom']If your hospital admission is within the last few months and you have no income you might be eligible for Medicaid or other similar type of assistance. I know you would be in NY State. If you haven't explored this, it might be a good idea before the bill gets too "old." In NY, I know only bills incurred within the 3 months prior to applying for help can be picked up.

Good luck with your job search![/QUOTE]

I'll check out Medicaid.. Sounds like a good program :)

Thanks! :D

i'd definitely look towards starting a career, not just a job. at 24 you don't wanna be working at a grocery store unless you plan on going into management. look at it as an opportunity. i'm 24 myself, used to work in a grocery store and hated it. about a year ago i decided it was time to get out and pursue my dream of filmmaking. i'm going to be in massive debt when i get done with film school in june, but i doubt i'll ever work in grocery again. from my perspective, the past year has been the best year of my life to date because i'm finally doing what i want to do.

my advice to you is to evaluate what it is you want to do with the rest of your life and go after it. it may be tough, but this is your chance to make it happen. you may need to get loans or a job or something to make ends meet.

and $4000 isn't that bad...i'll probably be in the red by about $60k or more when i'm done, and since i'm an american going to school in canada i can't legally work here without a work permit, so i've been unemployed since june.

Update, some rather good news:

I didn't qualify for medicaid, but I did qualify for WIC (Foodstamps and such) so I will have something to eat the next few months.

I have activated my benefits under my credit card (I had credit card insurance)and applied for the McAuley Service (Help plan to help with my Hospital, ER doctor, radiology, and ambulance bill), and I hope I will be in little to no debt so being jobless and uninsured is easier for me to do.

All in all I feel a little happier :)

That's good news, man. To my knowledge aren't there a lot of industrial jobs in MI? You should definitely see if you could start working in a distribution center or warehouse. They pay very well and offer good baseline benefits, and usually you need a high school diploma - no degree necessary.

With enough time on the job you could move up to shift supervisor or a low level manager and be making much more than a measly $9 / hr. Just a thought.

Good luck with your search.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']That's good news, man. To my knowledge aren't there a lot of industrial jobs in MI? You should definitely see if you could start working in a distribution center or warehouse. They pay very well and offer good baseline benefits, and usually you need a high school diploma - no degree necessary.

With enough time on the job you could move up to shift supervisor or a low level manager and be making much more than a measly $9 / hr. Just a thought.

Good luck with your search.[/QUOTE]

We lost alot of auto jobs here, and it has trickled down heavily.

bread's done
Back