LOTR Trilogy - Theatrical Edition [Blu-ray] - $22.50 shipped at Buy.com

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Buy.com has the theatrical edition of the Lord of the Rings trilogy on Blu for just $22.50 and free shipping. Pretty good price for those that don't need/want the extended version

http://www.buy.com/prod/the-lord-of...ical-blu-ray-edition/q/loc/322/213636862.html

213636862.jpg

I would have to disagree, the set has horrid video quality especially the first two movies. ROTK barely squeaks by but even that comes off as just mediocre looking. Plenty of reviews about this if you Google.

Ya I agree that this set is worthless. Get the extended edition set without a doubt, unless you can't afford it. That's the only reason you should pass on the EE set.

[quote name='stripwhite']I'd say unless you're a die hard, go with this one. It's a great price on 3 epic movies.[/QUOTE]

Do not listen to this man. The Extended Edition set is superior in every possible way. If you don't care about quality, why are you buying blu-rays in the first place?

[quote name='coolsteel']I would have to disagree, the set has horrid video quality especially the first two movies. ROTK barely squeaks by but even that comes off as just mediocre looking. Plenty of reviews about this if you Google.[/QUOTE]
For the second and third movie, I believe they used the same transfer in the extended as they did the theatrical version, so there's not much difference there. From what I understand, the only one that got any type of new transfer was Fellowship, but even that one still has issues after the new transfer. They did improve the detail, but apparently there is an issue with the colors. It's still not perfect and may never be, as it could be a source material issue. These new extended editions are not far superior in actual picture or sound quality. There is some improvement, but not as drastic as some may lead you to believe. It's mostly the extra scenes and features that are the selling point for the extended editions. Like I said, unless you're a diehard fan, save the extra $50.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dsimmelink']Soo..... how about the EE? When can we find a deal on THAT??[/QUOTE]

when it was released. Perhaps Black Friday? Who knows. Should of jumped on it when it came out.

[quote name='stripwhite']For the second and third movie, I believe they used the same transfer in the extended as they did the theatrical version, so there's not much difference there. From what I understand, the only one that got any type of new transfer was Fellowship, but even that one still has issues after the new transfer. They did improve the detail, but apparently there is an issue with the colors. It's still not perfect and may never be, as it could be a source material issue. These new extended editions are not far superior in actual picture or sound quality. There is some improvement, but not as drastic as some may lead you to believe. It's mostly the extra scenes and features that are the selling point for the extended editions. Like I said, unless you're a diehard fan, save the extra $50.[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, you know there's neary two hours more movie in the extended editions, right? That's a considerable amount of content to be missing, I'd say.

And the extended cuts have superior transfers spread over 2 blus each. The tint change in Fellowship was intended (Or at least that's what Peter Jackson has said). So I still don't really see why anybody who enjoyed these films would want inferior versions.

bread's done
Back