Loud "pop" inside computer case.

PuNK45S

CAGiversary!
Not sure exactly what information is needed, I really don't know too much about it, but whatever information anyone thinks will help I'll try to post.

I was just playing Left 4 Dead on my computer and there was a loud popping sound from inside my case (almost like a small firecracker going off)

I didn't have any performance issues and it's actually happened once before, but I don't think it is normal and seems like it could definitely cause some problems.

Any possible ideas on what it could be?

I had a capacitor blow off a motherboard once. Actually, I had two. After the first one popped I opened the side of the case to investigate and the 2nd one whizzed past my head. The computer was still running, but I freaked out and pulled the plug immediatly.

[quote name='Brownjohn']The first things that come to mind are either capacitors or a speaker. If you don't know what to look for as far as bad capacitors, look at this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

This article explains it as well: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_that_bubble_popping_sound_you_hear_through_your_Computer[/QUOTE]

I was reading about this at first, but I assumed that if this was the case there would have been some sort of performance issue? Atleast a little hiccup? I was playing Left 4 Dead and I didn't even get a tiny bit of lag or anything.

[quote name='PuNK45S']I was reading about this at first, but I assumed that if this was the case there would have been some sort of performance issue? Atleast a little hiccup? I was playing Left 4 Dead and I didn't even get a tiny bit of lag or anything.[/QUOTE]

Not really. If you have some blown capacitors, you wont necessarily run into issues. The best way to find out would be to look at the tops of the capacitors to see if any are bulging or leaking. If they are, either replace the capacitors if you're ok using a soldering iron, or buy a new motherboard.

Could also be bad caps in the PSU.

Did you notice any smell or does your system make any buzzing noise or high pitched whine?

[quote name='csalzman']I had a capacitor blow off a motherboard once. Actually, I had two. After the first one popped I opened the side of the case to investigate and the 2nd one whizzed past my head. The computer was still running, but I freaked out and pulled the plug immediatly.[/QUOTE]

Nice!

Turbografx systems have this problem, too. I saw a re-capped Turbo Duo on ebay one time. Should've bought it. I can do it myself, but it's convenient to get one pre-done.

Took a look inside today and AT LEAST 3 caps were blown.

It was just a quick look and those were what I saw. So it looks like I am not looking for a new motherboard.

My motherboard dies, my ps3 dies, my DS dies. All of my technology is against me today.

Well sorry to hear that man. Let me know if I can be of any help. I live in the Portland area, and am more than happy to help out a fellow CAG

bread's done
Back