Low IGN Score For Trace Memory

Parathod

CAGiversary!
http://ds.ign.com/articles/652/652873p1.html

Closing Comments:
Plotline flaws and forced game structure aside, Trace Memory isn't entirely a waste. Even with the awkward and sometimes irritating dialogue, it's a good read from beginning to end, and it's a game that will fill the gap as a lengthy bedtime story. The game's dual ending structure isn't enough for true multiple plays through, and the only way to get the "good" ending is to simply be meticulous enough to click on every little thing that appears on the screen. No skill is required beyond some patient reading ability and basic problem solving, and there's not a whole lot of reward for doing things right the first time around. Five hours of playtime is all this game offers.

- IGN

Yeah, reviews seem to be a bit disappointing for this title, I was expecting it and Lost in Blue to be the first titles to boost the DS.

I don't always mind short games, but having it be short with a lot of back-tracking is just awful.

Boo. I'll be passing until a pricedrop or a used copy. Dosn't Lunar Legends and Lost in Blue come out the same day?

You think those scores are bad? You should check out how IGN just rated Marvel Rise of the Imperfects. Disappointing indeed.

[quote name='gizmogc']Boo. I'll be passing until a pricedrop or a used copy. Dosn't Lunar Legends and Lost in Blue come out the same day?[/QUOTE]

Lunar Legends has been out for years, I think you mean Lunar: Dragon Song

Well actually, Trace Memory has an 8.1 average press review so i might like it. Ill still wait for a price drop though, reviews are the only things to tell me which of the many DS games i should wait on(i waited on feel the magic and ill be getting it for 10 or less from TRU soon)

[quote name='Scorch']Lunar Legends has been out for years, I think you mean Lunar: Dragon Song[/QUOTE]

My bad. I knew it was Lunar something.

[quote name='dcfox']It's a bit disappointing and strange. The Japanese version and the EU version of the game were well received. 1up gave it an 8.0 and Famitsu gave it a combination of 8,8,9 and 10. Maybe something was lost in the translation.

http://www.gamestats.com/objects/707/707312/articles.html[/QUOTE]Some Euros reviewed it on nintendo's forums as being a disappointingly short game, better suited for a rental than a purchase. That aside, if you value other elements above replayability, it may still warrant a purchase. Also, to answer someone else's comment about back-tracking, Nintendo Power review mentioned it as being mildly annoying but okay, since you only have to go a couple rooms back in a small area in each instance.

But all in all, based on everything I've been reading, I think I'll like Lost in Blue more.

I'd side with Adventure Gamer over IGN in this case. I trust Craig Harris more than any other editor on IGN, but there's an undercurrent of disdain for point-and-click adventure in his review, which makes me think it could have been Grim Fandango and still taken a knock.

Nevertheless, a sampling of the reviews on metacritic seem to reveal opinions are mixed, at best. But I'm desperate for an adventure game in the classic style (especially a portable one), so I'll probably pick it up on Tuesday.

Oh, and as far as needing this game to boost the success of the DS, didn't Meteos, Kirby: CC, and Nintendogs already do that?

Lost In Blue is fustrating in the beginning.. at least for me since the characters seem never to be satisfied no matter how many damned coconuts you shove into their system.

Then you get Skye who makes it even worse for that. But I'm sure once you get past this annoying beginning it gets better.

I do love how you make fire.. using the shoulder buttons to simulate rolling the stick in your hands then blowing into the mic to get a flame going. Very unique idea imo.

[quote name='irrossistable']Yeah, reviews seem to be a bit disappointing for this title, I was expecting it and Lost in Blue to be the first titles to boost the DS.
[/QUOTE]

There was a game released less than a month ago called Nintendogs. It came out about the same day as Advance Wars: Dual Strike. The next boosts will be Castlevania, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and other really obvious franchises. Games like Lost in Blue or Trace Memory will not likely draw people to a DS, even if they should.

MEh, Out of that, Lunar, and Lost in Blue, only Lost in Blue interests me.

So I'm not TOO disappointed, though I was looking forward to it being better...

Oh well.. I hope Lost in Blue is good. I need another good DS game,

I talked to two people that played the PAL version of Trace Memory and they highly recommanded. I think I am still going to get it when it come out.

[quote name='Parathod']There was a game released less than a month ago called Nintendogs. It came out about the same day as Advance Wars: Dual Strike.[/QUOTE]
Really? Never heard of it, I guess I'll look it up sometime. Meteos would never sell the system over a PSP with Lumines around (and Nintendogs seems to be a just a joke to anyone who owns a PSP).

I was thinking of the Fall line-up really. You know how some people were hyping up the fall games as when the DS would pull away and show it's superiority as a gaming machine. I wasn't thinking it would sell a whole bunch of units and rule the market, just kind of get the ball rolling to the sure-sellers that you mentioned.

I think Trace Memory got better scores in the other countries because it came out early in the DS's life-cycle over there when there were no games except Mario.... so it probably seemed much better than it was.

[quote name='irrossistable']Really? Never heard of it, I guess I'll look it up sometime. Meteos would never sell the system over a PSP with Lumines around (and Nintendogs seems to be a just a joke to anyone who owns a PSP).

I was thinking of the Fall line-up really. You know how some people were hyping up the fall games as when the DS would pull away and show it's superiority as a gaming machine. I wasn't thinking it would sell a whole bunch of units and rule the market, just kind of get the ball rolling to the sure-sellers that you mentioned.[/QUOTE]

You said "first titles" to boost DS sales. I didn't assume "first titles of fall". I'm not sure if Lumines would be considered more of a system seller than Meteos. They are both great games, but I really don't think either have much of an affect on sales of hardware. I could be wrong.

I've been looking forward to Trace Memory since it was released in Japan as Another Code. I'm a sucker for old school point-n-click adventures...

It takes me back to the grand old days of gaming when Sierra was just a baby and the prostitute in Leisure Suit Larry was the best fun in town.

I really hope to see some more games like this for the DS. Would love to see another Broken Sword game at least.

Broken Sword
Space Quest
Quest for glory
King quest
Police Quest
Monkey Island
Myst
The Longest journay
DS could be the PC gaming of the early 90s, 80's of the hey-day of adventure games
now if Dreamfall would come out :)

[quote name='irrossistable']and Nintendogs seems to be a just a joke to anyone who owns a PSP.[/QUOTE]

That's alright, since anyone who owns a PSP is a joke to everyone else.

:zing:

[quote name='Parathod']You said "first titles" to boost DS sales. I didn't assume "first titles of fall". I'm not sure if Lumines would be considered more of a system seller than Meteos. They are both great games, but I really don't think either have much of an affect on sales of hardware. I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]I was on the meteos board on gamefaqs last week, and there were at least 3 people in a particular thread who bought a DS for Meteos (after playing a friend's game). Maybe they're the only 3 in the world. It's no Nintendogs, but it sells its share of hardware.

Meteos is one of the hottest sellers on the DS. And I've personally sold a number of DS with said game. Still.

But back to the matter, when it comes to reviews, I tend not to listen. Plus, point-and-click = teh g00d. Trace Memory is as good as mine tomorrow, along with Lunar and Lost.

I was interested in this game until I read the reviews. I tend not to listen to most reviews, but for the hefty price tag of $34.99 for Trace Memory, I think I will wait for a price drop. It would be nice to see someone on these boards give some hands on opinions on the game, since I know there are a number of posters out there interested in this game.

[quote name='irrossistable']Really? Never heard of it, I guess I'll look it up sometime. Meteos would never sell the system over a PSP with Lumines around (and Nintendogs seems to be a just a joke to anyone who owns a PSP).

I was thinking of the Fall line-up really. You know how some people were hyping up the fall games as when the DS would pull away and show it's superiority as a gaming machine. I wasn't thinking it would sell a whole bunch of units and rule the market, just kind of get the ball rolling to the sure-sellers that you mentioned.[/QUOTE]

They can joke all they want, but honestly, since there's nothing on the PSP to get me excited BESIDES Lumines, the joke's on them.

I keep waiting for the announcement of something interesting for PSP to make me want to buy one, but so far, nada. The fact is, the DS has already demonstrated its capability for innovative, fun, distinctive titles (even forgetting Lost in Blue or Trace Memory). The PSP has merely demonstated its capability of hosting straight ports of PS2 titles.

bread's done
Back