Low Quality Amazon Prime shipping?

SuperFox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I signed up for the free three-month trial of Amazon Prime two weeks ago, and have used the free 2-day Prime shipping on two purchases (Super Paper Mario, and two HD-DVDs, Top Gun and Zodiac.)

For most purchases (games and DVDs) I make, I use the free super saver shipping, and the product is shipped via USPS in the typical cardboard Amazon.com box.

However, my two Prime purchases have been shipped via UPS, and rather than an Amazon.com cardboard box, they have been in standard/low-quality bubble mailers. With the Super Paper Mario purchase, I was thinking "It's the Gold Box deal of the day, so they have a ton of them prepackaged in cheap materials. No big deal." But I received my two HD-DVD's today, and upon inspection, BOTH HD-DVD cases were damaged (the plastic nubs used to hold the disc on the right side of the case were broken, so the discs were loose in the case.)

What I am wondering: Are others receiving Amazon Prime 2-day shipping purchases in the same bubble mailers? Is it the particular shipping center (as both purchases came out of Coffeyville, KS?) Have others received damaged DVD/HD-DVD cases from Amazon, or was the cheap packaging/UPS to blame for the nubs being broken during shipment? Fortunately, the discs were not scratched, but HD-DVD cases are not as easy to obtain, and both being broken struck me as odd.

If anyone has any info/related experience/knowledge/opinions, feel free to post. Thanks.

EDIT: Another weird thing, that I can't figure out: my two purchases have both shipped from Coffeyville, KS, yet the tracking through UPS shows them as originating in OK City.

Wow, that sucks, man. I went through my Prime trial last year and never had a problem. Never really took notice of the quality of the shipping, though. I suppose I did get games and movies in bubble mailers, but everything was in good shape, so I didn't notice.

I have Amazon Prime and I've never had anything sent in a bubble mailer. On occasion I've had things sent in boxes that were way too big for the item, but nothing has ever arrived damaged.

[quote name='gamegirl79']I have Amazon Prime and I've never had anything sent in a bubble mailer. On occasion I've had things sent in boxes that were way too big for the item, but nothing has ever arrived damaged.[/quote]
My experience has been pretty similar.

I use Prime all the time, although I have never ordered a game or DVD with it.

Usually everything I order gets sent in a box, sometimes even way too large for the item and with a ton of stuffing.

I order tons of Hddvds, regular dvds etc with Prime and I can say that I have never gotten anything in a bubble mailer. I get the small shoe box size package with the movies shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard.

Amazon is really good with customer service, give them a call and explain the situation. I just read yesterday of someone calling in about broken case tabs and amazon sent them a new version of the movie, though they had to send back the dead one.

So back to the question, they dont do bubble mailers...and heres the obvious question of the day:
Are you sure it was Amazon checkout and not a seller on amazon?

All sellers send in bubble wrap and I have got quite a few broken cases that way.

I just signed up for my prime trial not long ago, and Trauma Center: New Blood arrived in the normal amazon box, nothing out of the ordinary. Except that it took 4 days to get here (I know I selected 2-day shipping)... kinda defeats the purpose of Prime.

[quote name='gamegirl79']I have Amazon Prime and I've never had anything sent in a bubble mailer. On occasion I've had things sent in boxes that were way too big for the item, but nothing has ever arrived damaged.[/quote]

I've had the same experience as gamegirl79.

[quote name='Lice']So back to the question, they dont do bubble mailers...and heres the obvious question of the day:

All sellers send in bubble wrap and I have got quite a few broken cases that way.[/quote]

Good point. Most of the items I've received from an Amazon seller has arrived in a bubble wrap envelope.

[quote name='gamegirl79']On occasion I've had things sent in boxes that were way too big for the item, but nothing has ever arrived damaged.[/quote]

That's the truth... once I ordered a leapster game for my daughter (about the same size as a video game). It arrived in a box big enough to hold my daughter laying down.

My most recent purchase a DVD, that came this week was also in a bubble mailer, also from Kentucky but from Louisville

the back of the case looks like one of those vacuum bags, the way it's crinkled up

I ordered a DVD brick using super saving shipping and it was sent in a bubble envelope from Seattle. Fortunately, no damage was incurred.

[quote name='MrDubbs']My most recent purchase a DVD, that came this week was also in a bubble mailer, also from Kentucky but from Louisville

the back of the case looks like one of those vacuum bags, the way it's crinkled up[/quote]

forgot to mention, that I have a Prime Membership, not a trail

[quote name='I_Am_ProZac']I just signed up for my prime trial not long ago, and Trauma Center: New Blood arrived in the normal amazon box, nothing out of the ordinary. Except that it took 4 days to get here (I know I selected 2-day shipping)... kinda defeats the purpose of Prime.[/quote]

Agreed, the weekends not counting towards the two days does make the "2-day shipping" sound quicker than it is.

[quote name='Lice']I order tons of Hddvds, regular dvds etc with Prime and I can say that I have never gotten anything in a bubble mailer. I get the small shoe box size package with the movies shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard.

Amazon is really good with customer service, give them a call and explain the situation. I just read yesterday of someone calling in about broken case tabs and amazon sent them a new version of the movie, though they had to send back the dead one.

So back to the question, they dont do bubble mailers...and heres the obvious question of the day:
All sellers send in bubble wrap and I have got quite a few broken cases that way.[/quote]

On my previous purchases with free super saver shipping, I have had the same exact scenario - the "shoebox" with the game shrinkwrapped to a piece of cardboard in the box.

I may give them a call, since both HD-DVDs being broken just seems suspicious to me - thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, the products were purchased and shipped by Amazon.com, LLC, so it wasn't a Amazon Marketplace purchase.

Thanks for the updates...I may try buying another HD-DVD by itself and see if I have the same situation, or if it was just a coincidence that I had two low-quality mailings in a row.

[quote name='gamegirl79']I have Amazon Prime and I've never had anything sent in a bubble mailer. On occasion I've had things sent in boxes that were way too big for the item, but nothing has ever arrived damaged.[/quote]Ditto here. I've ordered dozens of things from Amazon during my 15-month Prime membership and everything has come in a box for me.

Ordering from Amazon is like playing Russian Roulette no matter what level of service you choose.

I've received boxes that were sealed within boxes that were sealed with shrink-wrap to a cardboard plate....for a freakin book I ordered. (!?!?!)

Other times, I've ordered toys for my kids where the box that arrived looked like it had been run over a few times by a Monster Truck, and looking inside the box inside was twice as bad, the item crushed beyond recognition.

And thats happened several times to me, so its a total crapshoot with them I'm afraid.

I got your back on this one. Last week I got a surplus of birthday money and thought since I was going to order a lot from amazon I would use the Prime trial. I got my games on wednesday and found them in a flimsy bag that was about 4 times the size of the cases. My copy of Twilight Princess was in alright condition my copy of EDF2017 was smashed in. The case was almost unusable as a case. The disc was fine but of course the only reason I would buy new is to get a perfect package.

I've never gotten anything from amazon in bad condition and not in a box. I was going to email them and complain but I decided that since Amazon had always treated me well I would just exchange cases with my free copy of Fusion Frenzy 2 and go on with life. I've been ordering from amazon since 2001 and this is the first time I've ever had a bad experience with them.

If I had known that the prime trial meant bad shipping I would have just settled for the usual free shipping.

Update: Called Amazon, explained what happened, and they are shipping me replacement cases (the discs were scratch-free and working) and were confused why the movies were shipped in a bubble mailer to begin with.

[quote name='SuperFox']Update: Called Amazon, explained what happened, and they are shipping me replacement cases (the discs were scratch-free and working) and were confused why the movies were shipped in a bubble mailer to begin with.[/quote]

Awesome. Another reason why Amazon is great.

[quote name='SuperFox']Update: Called Amazon, explained what happened, and they are shipping me replacement cases (the discs were scratch-free and working) and were confused why the movies were shipped in a bubble mailer to begin with.[/QUOTE]

That is good to here. I think that if I didn't have a spare 360 case I would have bothered with calling but since I can respect what amazon usually does I'll continue to let it slide.

I think I just had a bad week in shipping because I got a game from goozex and it was burned from the outside all the way into the case of the game. They had a note on it saying they were sorry that they destroyed the game. Luckily it was a basic 150 point gamecube game that I have 20 replacement cases for. Somehow the disc and cover art was in decent condition.

Usually, Amazon uses UPS for shipping two day mailing. I have no problem with that. However, my most current experience is with them using DHL shipping my watch. It has being like 3 business days and I didn't get my watch yet. I'm almost convince that DHL sucks. Somehow, they don't scan the tracking information barcode so I don't know where the package is ATM.

[quote name='hero101']Usually, Amazon uses UPS for shipping two day mailing. I have no problem with that. However, my most current experience is with them using DHL shipping my watch. It has being like 3 business days and I didn't get my watch yet. I'm almost convince that DHL sucks. Somehow, they don't scan the tracking information barcode so I don't know where the package is ATM.[/quote]

My few experiences with DHL have been neutral or negative, so I try and stay away from them when possible.

I've had prime since I think October and have always gotten my stuff on time with either 1 day shipping or 2 day. But recently they have been a little slow. I ordered an HD-DVD addon from them and too about 5 days not 2. I'll let it go for now but if it continues to happen I'm going to email them a WTF letter.

Also I have never gotten a bubble mailer from them, even games and movies came in either a cardboard box or a cardboard mailer type thing.

I got one shipment from my Prime trial last month. I ordered a bunch of manga books and artbooks. The box was just the right size, but they didn't inflate the bubble packaging things, or the bubbles popped in shipment. The books rattled around inside, but they weren't crushed or bent or anything. They weren't wrapped up, though, so some of the brown color of the cardboard box rubbed off on one of my artbooks.

A more recent update: Just called again today, because I hadn't received any cases in the mail. Turns out Amazon is no longer shipping out replacement HD-DVD cases, so they instead are going to refund me ($$) for part of the purchase.

It's random. I have a Prime membership and got my first bubble mailer package last week (they sent it DHL too, ugh). I've had over 50 packages sent and this was the first bubble mailer one though, so it doesn't happen that often.

bread's done
Back