Lumines Clone worth it?

pumbaa

CAGiversary!
Here's the situation... I played Lumines on my friends PSP and fell in love... but, quite frankly, I don't have the money and I don't want to spend the money on a PSP for one game. So I found this PC clone called Verticube here:

http://www.frogtoss.com/verticube

It's 18 bucks to register for... and I'm debating it. The two level demo is pretty damn good... and close enough to Lumines that I'm enjoying it.

So... spend the $18? Or not?

it's not worth it to get a psp if you're only interested in lumines.

and for the $18 pc game, I'd say no for now (assuming you have a backlog of games to play anyway). I will try to demo and change my answer if it needs to be changed.

[quote name='pumbaa']Here's the situation... I played Lumines on my friends PSP and fell in love... but, quite frankly, I don't have the money and I don't want to spend the money on a PSP for one game. So I found this PC clone called Verticube here:

It's 18 bucks to register for... and I'm debating it. The two level demo is pretty damn good... and close enough to Lumines that I'm enjoying it.

So... spend the $18? Or not?[/QUOTE]
Let's see...$250 + $40 + Tax for something you want for just one game, and don't have the money for, or $18 for an approximation of the game you want.

That's a tough one...

[quote name='eldad9']I'm guessing you haven't tried the demo?[/QUOTE]
I have, but I like the portability of my PSP and Lumines.

so the game is a good example? I played the demo of verticube, and quite honestly did not like it. I figured it was simply the game that was missing something of Lumines'.

Darn, and I really wanted to like lumines too

Crappy music, poor graphics, sluggish as all hell gameplay, no noticeable special effects, does not really interact with the music in any good way.

Theres a few things different...

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Crappy music, poor graphics, sluggish as all hell gameplay, no noticeable special effects, does not really interact with the music in any good way.

Theres a few things different...[/QUOTE]

haha, aint that the truth. save that $18 for something better than some knockoff of a product. if you dont have money, you dont have money--->job

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Let's see...$250 + $40 + Tax for something you want for just one game, and don't have the money for, or $18 for an approximation of the game you want.

That's a tough one...[/QUOTE]

Yes, because the ripoff is cheaper you should get it.

While you are at it, go to www.modchip.com and ebay.

Pick up a modchip, and buy some bootleg console games.

And for PC games try www.kazaa.com and www.limewire.com.

Save your cash, get the PC version, and put the left-over $260+ towards an Xbox 360 (which you will want anyways). You ARE in college after all, gotta save where you can.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I can't believe how many tards here support knockoffs.

It's still stealing, people.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure its that black and white. The game isn't on the platform... and although its a "clone" its not like its emulating PSP hardware or even the CODE from Lumines. I agree that its a cheap knock-off... but isnt that kind of the point?

I'll put it to you this way... is drinking RC Cola (or another cheap knock off Cola drink) "stealing"?

You are stealing the intellectual property.

Stores aren't selling disks, they are selling data. The disk is just a way to transport the data.

Plenty of software companies have made fine profits making "knockoffs." Unless the developer/publisher of the original games sues them for stealing their "intellectual property" (as Capcom thought they had a case against SNK once upon a time) and actually win, it's perfectly legal.

Comparing it to piracy is apples and oranges. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I think most developers out there expect the knockoffs...it's a testament to their own game design.

[quote name='pumbaa']Here's the situation... I played Lumines on my friends PSP and fell in love... but, quite frankly, I don't have the money and I don't want to spend the money on a PSP for one game. So I found this PC clone called Verticube here:

So... spend the $18? Or not?[/QUOTE]

I'd say wait for Meteos and play it first, since you already have a DS (I think). It's made by Q Entertainment, which is the same company that made Lumines.

I've heard nothing but great things about Meteos, so you might like it just as much as Lumines, and you won't have to pay more than $300 just to play one game.

Why not get a Meteos clone so you don't have to pay $190 to play one game?

Because as we all know, you can only play one game per system you buy.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Why not get a Meteos clone so you don't have to pay $190 to play one game?

Because as we all know, you can only play one game per system you buy.[/QUOTE]

I suggested Meteos because I think he already has a DS.

Reason being is why would you pay more than $300 for a game and system when you only want to play that game when you can buy another badass puzzler for $30 by the same company?

[quote name='Quackzilla']Why not get a Meteos clone so you don't have to pay $190 to play one game?

Because as we all know, you can only play one game per system you buy.[/QUOTE]

$180 for a DS W/ Meteos & Mario 64 or $290 for PSP W/ Lumines or $18 for the Lumines clone.

Hmmm :whistle2:k

[quote name='Quackzilla']You are stealing the intellectual property.

Stores aren't selling disks, they are selling data. The disk is just a way to transport the data.[/QUOTE]

You in no way answered my Cola Question... what the formulas of RC Cola and Coca Cola are different, but very similar... and that morally and legally accepted. Why not this?

[quote name='pumbaa']You in no way answered my Cola Question... what the formulas of RC Cola and Coca Cola are different, but very similar... and that morally and legally accepted. Why not this?[/QUOTE]
RC cola is totally different than coke.

And since they are physical products with patents (whereas digital media is not), the analogy is very misplaced.

Zookeeper is a Bejeweled clone. I have never seen any fuss about that why would this Lumines Clone be any different.

why keep wasting $18 for a crappy clone? sock it away for a PSP and lumines. or something at least as worthwhile, like a DS + Meteos. yea, $18 might not make that much dent to the MSRP of those game systems but who knows, 18 here, 8 there, 18 next week...it adds up, thats all im saying

bread's done
Back