Lumines Live Promo

miyamotofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (96%)
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12452

"Officials from Microsoft have announced that Q-Entertainment's music puzzle game Lumines Live will receive three bonus packs, each value priced for a month, following online backlash to its previous break-out pricing.

The base edition of Lumines Live, released last October, sold at 1200 Microsoft Points ($15). Gamers were vocally dismayed to find, however, that in order to access additional skins, they would have to pay an additional 600 Points ($7.50).

Further functionality, including a Vs. CPU mode and Puzzle Mode, would also require additional purchases, unlike the retail versions of the game, which came with all content for one price.

With the latest announcement, Microsoft and Q Entertainment have apparently heard gamers' requests, as the new updates, which will be released next Wednesday, January 24th, are being value-priced for a month-long promotion.

The first such addon is the Heavenly Star Skin, a new level for the game featuring a video for the Genki Stars original song directed by Q Entertainment's Tetsuya Mizuguchi himself, recently nominated for Best Song at the 2006 Spike TV Video Game Awards. The skin will be available for a limited time only, and will be free for Xbox Live Gold-level members from January 24 to February 21st.

The other two addons include the VS CPU Pack, which includes new skin and character designs for each of the CPU stages, and the Puzzle/Mission Pack, featuring an additional 90 puzzles and 40 missions to add to the base game's 10 puzzles and 10 missions.

Both of these addons will be available for just 100 Microsoft Points ($1.25) for the promotional period of January 24 to February 21st, after which they will be available for 300 Microsoft Points ($3.75)."

[quote name='Corvin']A disc can go on sale/clearance. I can lend/borrow a disc. I can resell a disc. A retail disc comes with a manual. I would pay $30 for that. $30 for a lease on something I don't physically own? No thanks.[/QUOTE]

You're assuming people paid full price for the M$ points to begin with. Personally, I stocked up with the BB deal, and for me add-ons like this don't bug me in the least. By my math I'll have actually paid $7.50 for the full Lumines Live game. Works for me and I don't have to buy a psp, which I don't even want.

Also am I to understand this will be the XBLA release for next week? Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for Worms and others.

[quote name='SteveGo']You're assuming people paid full price for the M$ points to begin with. Personally, I stocked up with the BB deal, and for me add-ons like this don't bug me in the least. By my math I'll have actually paid $7.50 for the full Lumines Live game. Works for me and I don't have to buy a psp, which I don't even want.

Also am I to understand this will be the XBLA release for next week? Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for Worms and others.[/QUOTE]

Sure. I have around 13000 points that I got for free after the BB Gears deal and selling of the shirts on ebay. So it wouldn't cost me anything at all. It's all about principle.

[quote name='Corvin']Sure. I have around 13000 points that I got for free after the BB Gears deal and selling of the shirts on ebay. So it wouldn't cost me anything at all. It's all about principle.[/QUOTE]

Then if you are so against DRM's and not actually owning what you're playing, why did you stock up on points?

I did the deal for BB points too, and ended up paying $2 for Lumines... I could really give a shit about DRM and all that when the game cost me $2 and the advanced pack cost me $1. Hell, these bonus packs will end up costing me 25 cents probably.

I see you're against paying $30 for it but you're paying, at the most, $1 - $2 since you used that old BB deal. Not really sure what principle applies here because you already found a way to beat the system.

[quote name='porieux']PS3 fanboi?[/QUOTE]Does the name miyamotofreak sound like a ps3 fanboy? I just read digg. And to CheapyD:
sigbadge9sp.jpg

[quote name='Roufuss']Then if you are so against DRM's and not actually owning what you're playing, why did you stock up on points?

I did the deal for BB points too, and ended up paying $2 for Lumines... I could really give a shit about DRM and all that when the game cost me $2 and the advanced pack cost me $1. Hell, these bonus packs will end up costing me 25 cents probably.
[/QUOTE]
What was this BB points deal you guys speak of?

[quote name='abhinav']See now i was gonna get it but then i saw this... god damnit.[/quote]

Sorry. Just showing for people who want to know.

[quote name='reallynotnick']You took the words right out of my mouth. While I don't have the advanced pack I have to say the game is hell of fun. Plus like you said there has been plenty of deals on cards. Free ones, free 400 points, $15 like every day at BB. I am definitely going to pick these up when they come out.[/quote]

Can you link me to a deal on the cards?

[quote name='miyamotofreak']Does the name miyamotofreak sound like a ps3 fanboy? I just read digg. And to CheapyD:
sigbadge9sp.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

wtf.

[quote name='M3wThr33']Yyyyyyeah. Lumines Live sounds super gimped, even with the new cheap prices.

Lumines II is $30. Has ALL of those features, and so far I've unlocked 84 skins. What does Live have, once all that's included? Like, 30?[/QUOTE]

Skins aren't everything. Lumines II has a ton of skins but so many of them are bad. Lumines on XBLA is in 1080i and supports 5.1 surround sound. Plus, all the music has been remastered. Those "features" alone are worth it for me. If you don't have the equipment for it, then yeah, Lumines XBLA probably isn't worth it for you.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I guess it's a moot point now but what was this BB points deal that everyone is talking about?[/quote]

buy a 360 game and get 1600 points for $5. --> preoreder GOW $5 and get 1600 points for $5 for a total of $10. return GOW preorder and keep the points. Deals was back in Oct/Nov.

[quote name='Daring']buy a 360 game and get 1600 points for $5. --> preoreder GOW $5 and get 1600 points for $5 for a total of $10. return GOW preorder and keep the points. Deals was back in Oct/Nov.[/QUOTE]

I did the deal with the GOW pre-order and 1600 points. I held on to the $5 GOW pre-order t-shirt and sold it on Ebay a couple of weeks ago for $24.

[quote name='Roufuss']Then if you are so against DRM's and not actually owning what you're playing, why did you stock up on points?

I see you're against paying $30 for it but you're paying, at the most, $1 - $2 since you used that old BB deal. Not really sure what principle applies here because you already found a way to beat the system.[/QUOTE]

A couple of things. Blowing $5 on a lease for a few hours of entertainment is one thing. Spending $30-$40 is totally different. The value of the dollar is in the eye of the beholder.

Second, sure I/we beat the point system and have many ready to spend. That doesn't mean we won anything. The only way MS knows what they are doing is wrong is by not downloading that particular title. Why do you think they are having this "sale?" It couldn't have anything to do with the much ballyhooed release of Lumines barely cracking the top 20 arcade titles of the year could it? Lumines was supposed to be huge and MS fucked up, starting with the 50MB limit and adding to the insanity was the ridiculous pricing structure. They still won't admit it but are getting close with this "sale."

Outraged gamers spoke with their wallets, and MS is getting the point. Six months ago, this "sale" would have never even been considered. The game is still fractured and not worth $30 the way they released it and I for one will hold stong for a better sale, or an Unplugged vol. 2 release that has Lumines on it that I can physically own for that price.

So despite having free points, it is still all about principle.

I gave this another chance and now I get it.
This game is super fun and totally worth the money IMO.
I can't stop playing it to get to any other games..

There's a lot of whining in this thread over a couple dollars.

Yeah, it's annoying that MS and Q broke Lumines Live Base & Advanced into pieces when it should have been one package, but if you're in the same situation as me, it isn't a terrible deal. I already had a 360 (and I had some cheap Live Points via CAG) and no PSP.

Cost to me to play Lumines Live: a few dollars
The cost of the 360 is a sunk cost because I already bought it to play other games like GOW. The cost of the Live Points is only a few dollars because I am a patient CAG. (Some of the points were left over from some other purchases and just sitting in my account, so the cost is even less than the actual cost of the points.)

Cost to me to buy a PSP and Lumines or Lumines II: around $200 if I am patient.

If you already have a PSP, then the calculus is a little different. But I am playing Lumines on a large screen at 1080p with 5.1 surround sound, and occasionally with friends on Live. It was worth a few bucks to me -- might not be for some CAGs.

As for the new Lumines downloads, Heavenly Star is slightly seizure inducing, but a decent free addition (probably not worth paying for). I have yet to try the new modes that cost points, but I'll probably jump on them before the promotion ends.

I downloaded all of the new packs (still have not got advanced...) and have to say it is hell of fun. If you already own Lumines don't miss out on this great deal, at the very least get the free video skin (freaking awesome but as above seizure inducing).

It truly is the best game on XBLA. Wish they would have had a sale on the advanced pack though.

bread's done
Back