Lunar 2 - anything deal-breaking about this game I should know about?

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
A few years back we had a topic on CAG about Lunar 2. After much deliberation and looking at some screenshots I ended up not purchasing it (primarily due to cost -- $80 for a complete).

I purchased the Arc the Lad collection a few years back and was never able to get through Ep 2... it was just TOO tedious and there were hardly any save spots. You'd have to do like six hour stretches in some dungeons. Pretty much the kind of warnings, heads ups I'd like to know about in say this game.

Today at work I decided to check Lunar 2 out on youtube.

Wow... looks really fun -- cool animations and effects. especially if you're in the mood for some 2-D gaming! So should I bite guys(occasionally seeing $50 on half.com)? I'd never actually seen the gameplay and the styes, animations, menus look cool. Gotta love youtube for the retro stuff.

If you haven't checked it out ever (I know I missed it first time around, check it out below!!)

http://www.youtube.com/v/kvf_y1Qxvck

PS: Is Lunar 1 required to understand or greatly enhance the canon?

I bought the first Lunar boxset on ps1 when it was new, and I loved it. I somehow never picked up the second boxset and now of course its crazy expensive.

Theres a member here that knows all about Lunar. His name was Rig I think?

I think the first one is a lot better, but their stories are pretty disconnected so playing the first one isn't necessary. Either way, both games are some of the best J-RPGs (though I'm not a fan of J-RPGs).

There was a deal-breaker for me on Lunar 2 back on the Sega CD: There was this flat, floaty, magician boss that I just could not beat. For some reason, it never occurred to me to level-up grind to get tougher. I just tried it about 5 times, got pissed, and quit. I've since bought the PSone version, but haven't sat down to play it.

Lunar 1, on the other hand, was a joy from start to finish. The two can be enjoyed separately. The combat is relatively typical random-encounter, turn-based RPGing, but the characters move independently toward their targets. This adds a little strategy to things.

Lunar 2 is great and one of the best rpgs of all time. If you are going to get the most out of it, you should probably play through the first one. There is a lot of payoff in the second, as the story is somewhat of a continuation, however the first is not required. The great thing about Eternal Blue for PSOne is that it is not a butchered version of the Sega CD one that the Silver Star was. I highly recommend it, Lunar is a underrated series (although the DS one is completely awful).

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lunar 2 is not compatible with the PS2 slim.[/quote]

Reallly.... that would consitute "deal breaker!!" I do have a PS1 lying around but I have no idea if it still works.

Anyone else have anything to add about this? I'm seriously tempted. I saw a complete mint copy "but it now" for $59.99... that's a damn fine deal, in relation to what I've seen.

I'm a sucker for cloth maps. Have been since the Ultima series.

Don't know if Lunar 2 plays on a PS2 or not, but if you like old-school RPGs, Lunar 2 is one of the best. I got both 1 and 2 about a year or so ago complete and near mint in a pawn shop for $20 each, and I would think that the price for these will continue to rise as the years pass by.

While both have essentially the same gameplay, I kinda prefer Lunar 1's story and characters, but I believe Lunar 2 has more content, and definatly more extras packed in the box. The dungeons aren't really that massive so I don't recall ever having a problem with getting to the next save spot like you described with Arc.

The Lunar games are old-school RPG at its finest. The anime cut-scenes don't pop up every 10 minutes and last for 20+ minutes like some recent RPGs seem to. Most are short and effective and later in the game you can collect them all to view again.

I always liked the degree of stragedy you can use, by setting up your party's position in combat and the way you can set a variety of auto attacks. The voices are done decently enough, and the music (while IMHO isn't as awesome as Lunar 1) helps set the mood rather well.

Like previously stated, Lunar 1 enhances the story, but isn't necessary to enjoy the game.

Lunar 1 and 2 work on the fat PS2. I know this for sure.

You dont need to play 1 to understand 2. It makes it a lot better for a few reasons. I wont spoil it for you though. I recommend playing 1 and 2 though.

The only deal breaker I can think of is it makes most other RPGs youll play look very weak in comparison. Lunar is so much better then games like FFVII (in everything but graphics, I like 2d over 3d though so even that...) and even Suikoden 1 and 2.

Note that in the Playstation remakes, they removed random encounters and replaced them with monsters that chase you on the map. This makes the games much better. Nobody actually likes random battles, unless they are pretending or are over 30 and afraid of change.

I guess I would recommend either game about equally. I had them both for PSOne back when they were first released, and really liked them. I never finished the second game because I wasn't in the mood for RPGs at the time, and it was later stolen from me.

I wouldn't say it's better than FFVII and not as good as the first Lunar, but it is a good game 50 seems a little high. At 40 i wouldn't have any hesitations. Also, i played both on my launch PS2 without any probmlems.

[quote name='ViolentLee']There was a deal-breaker for me on Lunar 2 back on the Sega CD: There was this flat, floaty, magician boss that I just could not beat.[/QUOTE]
borgan.jpg
?

And he was toned down from the Japanese version too. :lol:

Thankfully he's not nearly as hard on the PSone version.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
borgan.jpg
?

And he was toned down from the Japanese version too. :lol:

Thankfully he's not nearly as hard on the PSone version.[/QUOTE]

Hehe...nice. And I made a typo in my post: Obviously, I meant he was FAT, not fLat. Silly fingers -- I shall cut you for your insolence!

i recommend the lunar games.. they were great games to begin with and when they redid them for the PSone it just made them a lot better.. the story is very immersive and you care about the characters right from the get go.. I would say its better than the majority of the RPGs on the system.. this was one RPG that I had to learn the hard way about "save save save"..

I bought the first one only when I bought it I got the game as "new". It was opened but had everything to it. The store I got it at just took the game out and put the box up on display. The game had Purchase Only stickers on every cd but other then that they were fine. They asked me if that was ok and I told them it was seeing how they were the only place in the area that had the game. About 3 weeks later I went in and they had it again so I don't think the last one they had was actually the last one. They usually have both of the games for around what they cost when the first came out along with the arc the lad collection. Some times the have just the jewel case but most the time they have the box with all the little extras. Slackers does not have them on their website(slackers.com) but they might have them in one of the stores in the area.

However this is the same place that about 5 years ago told me people bring in Panzer Dragon Saga in all the time, and put me on the top of the list to get the game when one comes in. I'm still waiting for my copy for the 50 bucks the told me I would pay for it.

Also if you can find it and have never played it try to track down a copy of Grandia. I have not played the newer ones but the first one on the PSX was great. I think it also came out on the Saturn but I'm not really sure. I liked Grandia better the Lunar, Golden Sun, and any of the Final Fantasy games I have ever played.

I'm playing it now - finally caved, due to your guys' recommendations. It's pretty damn fun. I was really into it in the beginning - it's sort of slowing down (or maybe the battles are wearing on me) but I really like the graphics and ease of gameplay. It's linear too so it's pretty clear what you are supposed to be doing.

bread's done
Back