Lunar: Silver Star Harmony LE 29.99 available for pre-order on BestBuy.com <DEAD>

DKRobbie

CAGiversary!
Was browsing for the cheapest price for the limited edition of this RPG classic and lo and behold, 29.99 for preorder available 3-15-10 on Best Buys website. Granted they'll factor in 3.00 shipping and tax, but I'm sure on the release date in store pick-up will be available negating both of those for people like me who despise the double whammy of shipping and tax.

****************EDIT 3-15-10******************************

False advertising on Best Buys part. Shitheads advertise the LE but are only selling the standard edition at 30. No luck guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately me too, and if in store pickup doesn't pan out I'll keep my eye out on it on amazon, love the special editions they've released for Persona and Print: CIRBTH, just loving the PSP being a system to revive classic RPGs I love. I was at a Mega Media Xchange just yesterday and they actually had the first Lunar LE for the PS1 sans cardboard packaging for SEVENTY DOLLARS.

Just hope for in store pickup guys, I have a feeling B&M it'd be 40 bucks just like everywhere else. Always count on amazon. Hell I thought I lucked out picking up Persona LE for 25, then they lowered it to 15 over the holidays. L: SSS might be no different given some time.

$30 is a great deal onthis game. I played the PSOne remake years ago and it was awesome. Does anybody have a free shipping code though?

i thought this was released last week... definatly a good price. too bad i already paid the $40 for it at amazon, but have it now.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Hmm, I have Silver Reward Zone. I may get this, but I wonder if it truly will be limited.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't really matter, as the LE is normally $10 more than the standard, but Best Buy has lowered the price by $10. You aren't paying any more for the LE. Just go for it, the game needs the sales support.

[quote name='AionTelos']Hmm... I wounder if its worth it...[/QUOTE]

Well, the regular version of the game is $30... the LE is supposed to be $40. I wonder if it's a price mistake.

Wow, very good find OP and thanks a lot for making me buying it :p

It's a sweet price for all of the goodies, i normally don't buy PSP games, but i couldn't resist this beautiful edition. Oh yeah, 5% BCB, don't forget ;)

[quote name='Vinny']Well, the regular version of the game is $30... the LE is supposed to be $40. I wonder if it's a price mistake.[/QUOTE]

Lock in now and worry about it later? :lol:

If they cancel, no biggies, but judging from the FFXIII faceplate orders, i'm cool with BB (for now).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SDC']It doesn't really matter, as the LE is normally $10 more than the standard, but Best Buy has lowered the price by $10. You aren't paying any more for the LE. Just go for it, the game needs the sales support.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you're probably right.

Ah man! I JUST got back from buying this with the guide at GameStop. >.< Ah well.... I guess it's worth it, it is Lunar after all. :)

[quote name='AwRy108']Has anyone else noticed that many of the newer CAG members are too lazy to post links in their threads? In the past, people used to get crucified for not providing links to their deals. I just assumed it was common forum courtesy to post links when you create deal threads.[/QUOTE]I've noticed the same thing. If you post a deal at least post a link with it. :roll:

[quote name='nekobi']Ah man! I JUST got back from buying this with the guide at GameStop. >.< Ah well.... I guess it's worth it, it is Lunar after all. :)[/QUOTE]

What?! I didn't know they have a guide for this release. Amazon doesn't have it and I don't frequently do gamestop.com. Thanks for the info, gonna go pick one up!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This remake blows. Only get it if you're a collector and are hoping it'll go up in value.[/QUOTE]

I am respectfully disagreeing with you, but your post would be far more useful if you explained why you dislike it.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This remake blows. Only get it if you're a collector and are hoping it'll go up in value.[/QUOTE]

I no longer have any other version of the game, so this remake makes me quite content thank you very much.

If by "blows" you mean devoid of most pop culture references and Vic Ireland arrogance (alterations in the script), then yeah, it certainly does blow.

Surely, there are parts of the game that make me cringe by just how awkward or dissonant they are, but I'd be lying if I didn't say the same about SSSC. As for the dialog, a huge chunk is on-par with the originals. The only voice I had gripes with at first was Nall, but once you take into account most of his lines in the game, it actually makes sense why they'd make the choice to have him sound more natural (after all, Ruby in EB was female and didn't have a synthesized voice, so why should Nall be any different aside from Vic wanting to get an acquaintance to do the voice).

Everyone else should brush off this potentially blatant elitism and check out this remake.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Wait, so this is a port of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1)? Or a semi-new title?

If I already have L:SSSC, should I buy this?[/QUOTE]

The game is another enhanced remake of Lunar: The Silver Star.

It was made on Sega CD, remade for the Saturn, then the Playstation and then the Gameboy Advance. I'd say if you really loved it, sure, but if you want something new, I'd pass.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Wait, so this is a port of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1)? Or a semi-new title?

If I already have L:SSSC, should I buy this?[/QUOTE]

If you enjoyed SSSC, then you might not enjoy this remake. I'm not going to lie, a lot of things just don't feel right about this remake. I know it's just my nostalgia telling me, "This isn't how I remember it! Why? Why did this change this!?!" but still, I felt like I had to force myself past a few things... like the horrible new intro song, many of the voices, the cartoony (but cleaner) graphics, and other minor things (re-using old cutscenes, removing the overworld map, etc.).

With all that said, I've only played a few hours and for the most part, it's still the same game I knew and loved on the PS1. I am looking forward to the new bits they added and the overall LE package is pretty neat, especially for $30.

[quote name='Vinny']If you enjoyed SSSC, then you might not enjoy this remake. I'm not going to lie, a lot of things just don't feel right about this remake. I know it's just my nostalgia telling me, "This isn't how I remember it! Why? Why did this change this!?!" but still, I felt like I had to force myself past a few things... like the horrible new intro song, many of the voices, the cartoony (but cleaner) graphics, and other minor things (re-using old cutscenes, removing the overworld map, etc.).

With all that said, I've only played a few hours and for the most part, it's still the same game I knew and loved on the PS1. I am looking forward to the new bits they added and the overall LE package is pretty neat, especially for $30.[/QUOTE]

I know a lot of people are nostalgic for the Working Designs translation, but for people who feel it is very different: look, really look, at Meribia.
Even with the perspective change, it seems like they have kept the basic layout of the city. The same, obviously, for everywhere else, but I was very impressed as I recall thinking Meribia was a pretty large area back when I first saw it.

As for the voices/translation: I don't think it is any better or worse than WD, just different. I actually prefer the more literal intro song, but I like WD's version of the Boat song better. Nall and Nash are equally annoying in both games. The only voice that I feel let down about is Royce.

Thanks for the responses. :)

I think I will pass on this game. The graphics look improved, but if it's pretty much the same game, I'll stick to my PS1 version.

[quote name='AwRy108']Has anyone else noticed that many of the newer CAG members are too lazy to post links in their threads? In the past, people used to get crucified for not providing links to their deals. I just assumed it was common forum courtesy to post links when you create deal threads.[/QUOTE]

*sigh* Maybe I'm not exactly well versed in html linking. Seems to me if I were lazy I wouldn't bother posting something in the first place you goblin.

I had my copy pre-ordered at Gamestop since last September (big fan of Lunar, so sue me), as well as the player's guide. I was really hyped after playing the demo, and the actual game did not disappoint. :) I am just so happy to have a portable Lunar to take with me. XD Playing through it again is bringing back a lot of fond memories of playing the PS1 version (which I still have). This is so much better than the GBA port, lol.

The soundtrack that comes with the limited edition is an awesome addition, too. The opening song as well as the boat song have been expanded into full length, with added verses not present in the game. They're absolutely beautiful. Not to mention that the soundtrack itself has 34 tracks of remastered music from the original.

For $30, the LE is a steal! Contemplating buying an extra copy to keep sealed. n.n;

[quote name='Ryouko']I had my copy pre-ordered at Gamestop since last September (big fan of Lunar, so sue me), as well as the player's guide. I was really hyped after playing the demo, and the actual game did not disappoint. :) I am just so happy to have a portable Lunar to take with me. XD Playing through it again is bringing back a lot of fond memories of playing the PS1 version (which I still have). This is so much better than the GBA port, lol.

The soundtrack that comes with the limited edition is an awesome addition, too. The opening song as well as the boat song have been expanded into full length, with added verses not present in the game. They're absolutely beautiful. Not to mention that the soundtrack itself has 34 tracks of remastered music from the original.

For $30, the LE is a steal! Contemplating buying an extra copy to keep sealed. n.n;[/QUOTE]

How IS the player's guide? I was debating buying it, as the old WD SSSC/EBC guides are perhaps my favorites ever. But then, WD didn't do this one...

[quote name='Blade']Thank you kindly. :)

What is all of this additional stuff with the game? Are the additional contents as collectible as Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete's were? I'd like to have only one copy of a game, thanks.[/QUOTE]

The extras are a soundtrack and bromide cards. You can see the package on www.lunarsilverstarharmony.com. I don't think it'll be as collectible as the old WD extravaganzas, but it is pretty cool.

I've been wondering if I should pick this up. I have a copy for the ps1, but I haven't played it yet. Is it improved much or should I just save my money and play the ps1 copy I already have?

For anyone who is wondering about the game, just go on the PSN and download the demo. Try it out for yourself (and save your demo clear data at the end). It is a fantastic rendition of Lunar: The Silver Star. It seems to have the best bits of all versions of the game in one convenient package. It has the anime styled cutscenes from the Saturn/PSone remake but they look so much better (better compression/no visible artifacts during the video clips), the arts gauge/limit break styled thing from the GBA version and the story we all know and (probably) love from the original. You really can't beat $30 for a new LE copy of the game. The only really jarring thing is that the music pauses and then resumes during loading sequences so it kinda takes you out of the game for a few seconds.

Also, the strategy guide is an exclusive only available at GameStop.

[quote name='Firecrest']If by "blows" you mean devoid of most pop culture references and Vic Ireland arrogance (alterations in the script), then yeah, it certainly does blow.

Surely, there are parts of the game that make me cringe by just how awkward or dissonant they are, but I'd be lying if I didn't say the same about SSSC. As for the dialog, a huge chunk is on-par with the originals. The only voice I had gripes with at first was Nall, but once you take into account most of his lines in the game, it actually makes sense why they'd make the choice to have him sound more natural (after all, Ruby in EB was female and didn't have a synthesized voice, so why should Nall be any different aside from Vic wanting to get an acquaintance to do the voice).

Everyone else should brush off this potentially blatant elitism and check out this remake.[/QUOTE]

You're a fucking moron. My complaints very LITTLE to do with the Vic Ireland bullshit. Did you even play through the whole game? Most of the script is ripped directly from Vic's anyway.

Complaints:
-Ridiculous loading times, especially on older systems. Even on the 3000 or PSN version it's ridiculous that everything fades in and out when going to a new screen, including the music.
-The game is way too fucking easy, perhaps even easier than the GBA verison. This is the major complaint.
-A lot of the redesigned dungeons suck and are too short. To make up for the length, they often added a ridiculous amount of enemies in one tiny screen that are hard to avoid.
-Almost nothing new added, two shitty scenes with horrible dialogue and voices that really add nothing to the lore. One is about 20 minutes long, the other is about 30 seconds long. That's it. More shit appeared to be changed from the Psone version in the GBA version (or changed back to how it was on Sega CD).
-Some of the voices are really bad, but most are serviceable. Thankfully there isn't too much of the bad voices except for Nall's.

I like how you assumed I didn't like the game because of being a WD fangirl. That is quite opposite the case. I was really, really looking forward to this game because I love Lunar. I even enjoyed the GBA version.

will I like this if I'm a casual RPG fan who's not familiar with the original. I played a few FF's and other SE games but otherwise not too versed in JRPGS. Also, I don't mind the ease of gameplay as long as it also means there's not a bunch of needless grinding.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
Complaints:
-Ridiculous loading times, especially on older systems. Even on the 3000 or PSN version it's ridiculous that everything fades in and out when going to a new screen, including the music.[/QUOTE]

Despite the rest of your complaint list, this is the one that made me not interested in the game. I played the demo and found it quite good; but I also realized that I had zero tolerance for the length of time it toook complete a simple battle: from loading to pacing, everything seemed so deliberately slow! Unacceptable for a JRPG, especially on a handheld. Seriously, who lets something like this make its way into the final product?

[quote name='AwRy108']who lets something like this make its way into the final product?[/QUOTE]

Lots of PSP developers sadly. I haven't played Mana Khemia or Spectral Force but I have heard horror stories about how the load times are far worse than even Lunar's. It's obviously not that hard to do fast loading times on RPG PSP games, as evidenced by many of them. Developers are just plain lazy.

And yeah, even without the loading times the battle pacing seems a bit slower in this one (other than the fact that everything is so damn easy). The characters moved faster in the PSone version and didn't fuck around with black backgrounds when they use their specials.

Lunar Legend on GBA is also really easy, but at least I don't have to deal with stupid slow load times.

I honestly don't mind the load times. I've seen far worse on the PSP, so I can manage with it. The dialouge in the new scenes isn't the best, but it did shed some light on previous plot holes from the original at least (I enjoyed the new scenes, honestly).

I am really hoping they bring out Eternal Blue, too. :) It's so great to see a spring of new fans for Lunar, and to see an old favorite of mine come back into the limelight. It's quite possible that whatever flaws are in SSH, would be fixed in a remake of EB.

XSeed is really awesome to its fans, and they listen to us. They seem to have good ties with the original Japanese makers, and I know they care enough about this franchise to do what's best for it. So I'm giving SSH my full support, and this game was a Day 1 purchase for me. I will gladly keep it in my collection along with all the other versions of Lunar.

I know somebody already mentioned load times, but how would you compare it to a game like Spectral Souls in terms of load times? Spectral Souls loads for every action and menu change, really kind of annoying. If there are as many loading times, I may just get the PSN version.

Has anyone gone in-store to try and pick one of these up today? I may attempt to take a look, but I'd like to avoid it as my charges don't have enough money for the Pokemon game they want, and may or may not have a conniption if they see it in-store when I run in to look for Lunar that may or may not be there.

bread's done
Back