M. Night is back. Devil doesn't suck.

[quote name='Tony208']For those who saw the film, how would you rank this film compared to his others? It can't be worse than rock bottom Airbender so maybe more like The Village mediocrity?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen Airbender, nor do I want to, but Village is not mediocrity but pure garbage.

the premise behind the village was ok and the ending was cool in a holy shit this is where they live thing but i was moslty pissed off by the film because it came off like a yetti/sasquatch horror film and in the end it didnt deliver either. i realy want a great yetti/sasquatch horror film. i hear a windego film is in the works.

[quote name='lokizz']unbreakabe and 6th sense are good to. its just his addiction with twists that make his movies one trick ponies. once you see them theres no point in watching again.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that's another problem of his. He's pretty much become known for his twists, and I think once you know a movie is going to have a big twist, you know to look for it. It makes the twists have less of an impact. The Sixth Sense was great, because you sat through the movie thinking the story was fairly straightforward. The twist came out of left field, making it be a much bigger shock.

I think he realized the twist was one of the things people really enjoyed about The Sixth Sense, which was true, but you can't build all your movies on the same structure. The Sixth Sense was still a good movie without the twist, but The Village almost seemed like he thought up the twist and built a movie around it.

I saw it last night and thought it was above decent. Not bad at all though. I was expecting more out of the ending.

and here is my rant...

I find it annoying how its now the cool thing to hate on M.night Shyamalan when most of these people cant name 5 directors off the top of there head and they only do it with this guy. Seriously, just watch the fucken movie and have your own opinion whether its good or not, but dont just write it off because OH ITS M.$$$$HTS THATS THE GUY THAT SUCKS!#!@#22 fuck that lets watch piranha!!@#!#

[quote name='lokizz']the premise behind the village was ok and the ending was cool in a holy shit this is where they live thing but i was moslty pissed off by the film because it came off like a yetti/sasquatch horror film and in the end it didnt deliver either. i realy want a great yetti/sasquatch horror film. i hear a windego film is in the works.[/QUOTE]

I thought the ending was stupid in an oh my god I cant believe they thought this was a good idea kind of way.

As soon as the twist came up in the village I fell into depression for wasting some of my life watching that trash.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='argeezy']I find it annoying how its now the cool thing to hate on M.night Shyamalan when most of these people cant name 5 directors off the top of there head and they only do it with this guy. Seriously, just watch the fucken movie and have your own opinion whether its good or not, but dont just write it off because OH ITS M.$$$$HTS THATS THE GUY THAT SUCKS!#!@#22 fuck that lets watch piranha!!@#!#[/QUOTE]

I think it's pretty obvious why people would hate Shyamalan and like Piranha: it's the anti-Shyamalan movie. Where Shyamalan movies are overly serious, heavy-handed, self-indulgent and pretentious, Piranha is light, fun and, most of all, entertaining. He could learn a thing or two from it.

People hate M. Night because they watched Lady in the Water and The Happening. Hatred is the only possible emotion after watching those movies.

[quote name='argeezy']I saw it last night and thought it was above decent. Not bad at all though. I was expecting more out of the ending.

and here is my rant...

I find it annoying how its now the cool thing to hate on M.night Shyamalan when most of these people cant name 5 directors off the top of there head and they only do it with this guy. Seriously, just watch the fucken movie and have your own opinion whether its good or not, but dont just write it off because OH ITS M.$$$$HTS THATS THE GUY THAT SUCKS!#!@#22 fuck that lets watch piranha!!@#!#[/QUOTE]

Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, David Fincher, Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino

How hard is it to name 5 directors? I could easily name another five.

:roll:[quote name='Cantatus']Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, David Fincher, Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino

How hard is it to name 5 directors? I could easily name another five.[/QUOTE]

Yeah because when I typed that I Was talking directly to you :roll: the point that I was trying to get across is don't hate on a movie when you haven't even watched it, makes u look very ignorant. Must just be a pet peeve of mine

[quote name='argeezy']:roll:

Yeah because when I typed that I Was talking directly to you :roll: the point that I was trying to get across is don't hate on a movie when you haven't even watched it, makes u look very ignorant. Must just be a pet peeve of mine[/QUOTE]

You've never seen a trailer for a movie and hated the movie because of said trailer or from word of mouth? That's something that happens very often. I would think this movie looked dumb as shit even if Martin Scorsese directed it. I mean, do I have to watch every terrible movie before I can hate on it?

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Here is the movie spoiled for you if you don't want to see it.

Basically five people get trapped in an elevator in building in downtown Philly. The power goes out every once in awhile and they slowly start to die one by one in pretty gruesome ways. Obviously, everyone thinks it's somebody different and it leads to everyone turning on each other. One of the security guards watching on the security cameras thinks it's the devil because of story his mother told him when he was a kid. When there is a suicide (which there was that morning in the same building), the devil will take over the body of a person nearby and go after the souls of certain people. That's the setup.

First time the lights go out, the hot girl gets "bitten" on her back. Everyone sort of thinks it's the tall, goofy dude. Next time the lights go out, the tall goofy, dude gets a piece of glass in his throat. Not him. Next time the lights go out, the older lady is hung from the elevator ceiling with a cord. Not her. Next time the lights go out, the big black dude gets his head spun 180 degrees. Not him. The last dude and the girl both think it's each other, so they have a stand-off of sorts, both holding a piece of glass at each other. Lights go out again, and the guy stabs the girl. When the lights come on and he sees what he's done, he is remorseful and scared. He's on the ground holding her while she's bleeding to death when the fucking old lady gets up and starts talking to him in a creepy, old lady devil voice. Her eyes are pitch black and she is fucking freaky (it's Doug's mom from King of Queens haha). She was after his soul the entire time because 5 years ago he was involved in a hit and run in which he killed a mother and her son. He fled the scene and just left a note saying "I'm so sorry".

At the same time all of this shit is going down in the elevator, the cops are watching the security camera footage while trying to find a way into the elevator. They are trying to figure out who all the people in the elevator are and who the killer is. Overall, the ending got me pretty good.
[/QUOTE]

What a twist.

[quote name='argeezy']Yeah because when I typed that I Was talking directly to you :roll: the point that I was trying to get across is don't hate on a movie when you haven't even watched it, makes u look very ignorant. Must just be a pet peeve of mine[/QUOTE]

I would think I would qualify as one of "most of these guys".

Regardless, I don't think it's ignorant to speak negatively about a movie when it is based on experience. I think it would be dumber to spend money to go see a movie you'll likely not like based on what you've previously seen by said director (or, more broadly, actor, writer, etc.)

[quote name='Arakias']I doubt he is "back"....
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/771203480/[/QUOTE]

Well, in all fairness, 41% is the highest score he's gotten on Rotten Tomatoes in 6 years. The last movie to score near that (42%) was The Village. None of his other movies have come close since. So, he may not be back, but it's certainly an improvement.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This movie made $14 mil opening weekend and cost only $10 mil to make. He's back, all right. :wall: Stupid Americans....[/QUOTE]

Distribution takes roughly half of that. Plus you have to factor in the taxes, etc. So it has to make more money before it makes a profit.

Ultimately that may come with DVDs and cable deals.

bread's done
Back