M$ to buy nintendo?

[quote name='CapAmerica']Its all ready happening, the merge has started!
MS is supporting the GBA and their is rumor of them supporting the DS, Its only a matter of time before they do a full alliances!

Seriously thou this is never going to happen. The earth will emplode before Nintendo sells out to anyone. Nintendo has higher profits then anyone else in the gaming market and they aren't hurting at all.

I think there are better odds with MS will drop out of the console market and become a 2nd party Nintendo developer.[/quote]

No, MS is not supporting the GameBoy. The titles that have appeared like Banjo-Kazooie are contractual obligations to THQ that predate the buyout of Rare. It is notable that Nintendo itself didn't see fit to publish this game and instead left it to a third party. Likewise, Munch's Oddyssey isn't owned by Microsoft and Oddworld Associates is free to put derivative works of their franchises anywhere they want. That leaves Monster Truck Madness, which is a license that goes back to before the Xbox's existence. Its first console appearance was on the N64 but didn't lead to a further flood of MS properties on Nintendo or Sony consoles.

If MS were to go heavily into producing software for other companies consoles the time for it has long passed. Starting off by building up a studio to develop for the console market was already effective for Sony. MS had ample opportunity to pursue this when they produced an API layer for the Sega Dreamcast but they didn't treat that as a publishing opportunity.

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll'][quote name='CapAmerica']Its all ready happening, the merge has started!
MS is supporting the GBA and their is rumor of them supporting the DS, Its only a matter of time before they do a full alliances!

Seriously thou this is never going to happen. The earth will emplode before Nintendo sells out to anyone. Nintendo has higher profits then anyone else in the gaming market and they aren't hurting at all.

I think there are better odds with MS will drop out of the console market and become a 2nd party Nintendo developer.[/quote]

Nintendo's profits in the console market are not good at all. The handheld market is only going to get rougher too now that they have real competition. Even if they only lose 30% of their handheld marketshare to Sony it's an enormous blow to their bottom line.

Why would Microsoft ever become a 2nd party Nintendo developer? Microsoft's whole business strategy is controlling the platform. They control PCs with their OS and the XBOX with the OS and hardware. And the whole purpose of the XBOX is to get Microsoft into your living room as well as on your desk. They could care less about short term profits made from developing software for a company whose platform is slowly dying.[/quote]

Actually, that goes in the face of every financial document and strategy report I've read. Don't get me wrong -- you may very well be right, and I could be completely wrong, but last I checked (around E3), Nintendo was doing quite well. Just because you aren't making the most profit doesn't mean you aren't making ANY profit. Nintendo only posted their first loss ever last year (think about it -- not even the N64 could make them lose money) and that was largely because in order to reduce console prices, they had to start selling them for a loss (like Sony and MS) for the first time. They may not have the non-gaming resources to fall back on like the other two companies, but the ’Cube has made more profit, flat-out, than the ’Box, in spite of them being neck and neck for second place.

Would you happen to have any links to some sort of "bottom line financials"?

[quote name='CaseyRyback']they tried this three or four years ago when they tried to buy SEGA and Nintendo. Nothing happened.[/quote]

They looked into buying Sega but that didn't happen because certain executives were still disconnected from reality and couldn't accept just how close the company was to being broken up for parts. It might have been better if all of Sega's IP had gone to one console rather than being spread all over the place as haphazard exclusives. My feeling is, either go multi-platform across the board or pick just one and let your fans follow you there.

why not M$ buy sony? wait. nvm thats a BIG franchinse. stupid me. but wouldnt that be awesome? and if they bought Time Warner, and Budweiser, and Philip and Morris.. and and they will be ownzing ze world! all heil ze microseft!

Gah, all that yahoo article said was Bill Gates said he would make an offer to buy Nintendo if they wanted to sell. Duh. No shit. That's not anything new. Why all the speculation?

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']

Nintendo's profits in the console market are not good at all. The handheld market is only going to get rougher too now that they have real competition. Even if they only lose 30% of their handheld marketshare to Sony it's an enormous blow to their bottom line.

Why would Microsoft ever become a 2nd party Nintendo developer? Microsoft's whole business strategy is controlling the platform. They control PCs with their OS and the XBOX with the OS and hardware. And the whole purpose of the XBOX is to get Microsoft into your living room as well as on your desk. They could care less about short term profits made from developing software for a company whose platform is slowly dying.[/quote]

THere is no indication as yet the PSP will have any significant effect on Nintendo's handheld market. This is like projecting that a new $35,000 sports car from Toyota will take away a major poertion of Saturn's small sedan market. There just isn't that much overlap. The PSP may impinge on DS sales, depending on when the PSP ships and for how much (and whether certain practical issues don't cause serious marketing issues), but the sub-$100 GB series is pretty safe. In all likelihood, the consumers who find the PSP a reasonable purchase will also own a GameBoy if the right games are exclusive to it.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='CaseyRyback']they tried this three or four years ago when they tried to buy SEGA and Nintendo. Nothing happened.[/quote]

They looked into buying Sega but that didn't happen because certain executives were still disconnected from reality and couldn't accept just how close the company was to being broken up for parts. It might have been better if all of Sega's IP had gone to one console rather than being spread all over the place as haphazard exclusives. My feeling is, either go multi-platform across the board or pick just one and let your fans follow you there.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I wish they would have just chosen one platform and stuck to it. They would get a lot more of my money if they did that

Halo+Mario on the same system?? Why would you people be pissed this could be the best thing to happen to gaming in a long time. The ultimate console.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']

THere is no indication as yet the PSP will have any significant effect on Nintendo's handheld market. This is like projecting that a new $35,000 sports car from Toyota will take away a major poertion of Saturn's small sedan market. There just isn't that much overlap. The PSP may impinge on DS sales, depending on when the PSP ships and for how much (and whether certain practical issues don't cause serious marketing issues), but the sub-$100 GB series is pretty safe. In all likelihood, the consumers who find the PSP a reasonable purchase will also own a GameBoy if the right games are exclusive to it.[/quote]

A $35,000 sports car from Toyota WOULD take away a good chunk of Saturn's small sedan market if before that time Saturn's car was the only choice. I know tons of people that woul drather have a good quality handheld than a sub-$100 one, but there's no viable choice right now.

[quote name='trustcompany1013']could you imagine the possibilites of super smash bros?[/quote]

Bill Gates as a playable character! Bribe computer controlled character to fight for you, and hurls bags of money to damage and distract players.

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll'][quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']

THere is no indication as yet the PSP will have any significant effect on Nintendo's handheld market. This is like projecting that a new $35,000 sports car from Toyota will take away a major poertion of Saturn's small sedan market. There just isn't that much overlap. The PSP may impinge on DS sales, depending on when the PSP ships and for how much (and whether certain practical issues don't cause serious marketing issues), but the sub-$100 GB series is pretty safe. In all likelihood, the consumers who find the PSP a reasonable purchase will also own a GameBoy if the right games are exclusive to it.[/quote]

A $35,000 sports car from Toyota WOULD take away a good chunk of Saturn's small sedan market if before that time Saturn's car was the only choice. I know tons of people that woul drather have a good quality handheld than a sub-$100 one, but there's no viable choice right now.[/quote]

But hat has not always been the case. Several other handhelds have appeared, not all of them in the US merket, and all of them failed to put a dent in the GB market. People aren't buying the GBa for lack of an alternative costing two or three times as much. That alternative will have to prove its worth and even then it won't change the economics of why Nintendo rigidly adheres to their formula for the GameBoy product line. The DS is not the successor to the GBA SP but rather a separate new high-end product. As I said before, it may be affected by the PSP but the difference in cost makes it too far removed fromt he GBA's market to matter.

I hope that Microsoft does buy Nintendo. I would only have to buy two next gen systems, which would be great. Plus some of the Microsoft franchises on the GBA and the DS would be cool.

[quote name='scsg75']Gah, all that yahoo article said was Bill Gates said he would make an offer to buy Nintendo if they wanted to sell. Duh. No shit. That's not anything new. Why all the speculation?[/quote]

Agreed. Of course they WOULD buy. They'd be stupid not to. But Nintendo won't sell.

[quote name='BigNick']Wouldnt Nintendo make more money from porting the games to MS and sony?[/quote]

That depends on how two main factor weigh against each other.

To publish on Sony and/or MS platforms Nintendo would have to pay for disc manufacturing (which is done at a profit) and pay a royalty fee per unit.

Publishing on their own platform gets them the lowest possible media cost and incurs no royalties but also reduces their market to the installed base of their platform.

So the question is whether the more numerous platforms, especially the PS2, would deliver so much more sales it would overcome the additional obstacles to reaching profitability on a SKU. OTOH, nintendo has been quite successful at reaching a much larger proportion of the GameCube audience than a hit title can typically claim on the PS2. There isn't an obvious win here but if they break the rule of Nintendo hits appearing only on Nintendo hardware it will be very hard to go back if the experiment isn't a big success.

http://the-magicbox.com/Chart-USPlatinum.shtml

[quote name='jer7583']There are three reasons this will not happen, not anytime soon anyway.

1. Hiroshi Yamauchi is way too stubborn and egotistical to sell his family's company(He is still the main stockholder) to some american company. Nintendo has been around since 1889. He isn't going to just sell that and give up. I could only see this happening after he's died and/or the ownership of the company leaves his family's hands.

2.Nintendo as a company is still profitable and is doing fine financially. Excluding a look at microsoft's bottomless assets, Nintendo has been much more profiitable than Xbox has been or will be for a while.

3.Nintendo is (like all others) a greedy company. If they have a chance to make systems and games, rather than just games under MS, they will go the route of making systems and games.

Not that I think it'd be a terrible thing.. except it might hurt nintendo's game development, since they've always had the advantage of designing their consoles and controllers for their games. They'd also have the outside influence of MS trying to make their games more trendy and hip. You know MS wouldn't ever take a chance on something like Donkey Konga, or Cel-Shading Zelda..[/quote]. I agree. Yamauchi would never sell his company to an American company. Anyone who has read the book Game Over by David Sheff would know a lot about this also.

MS + Nintendo.. no.. i dont go with it -.- i mean the possiblities are great i suppose? having one console and together two companies=more games and better games but i dont see it happening and nintendo is doing good on its own

i remember a talk with my uncle and aunt about the "ultimate system" combining all the systems along with a dvd and vhs player, radio into a tv..(just something imaginative) and my uncle cant see like all three system together into one.. and so i cant really see nintendo and ms together.. it seems to be.. it's like honda and toyota being together or something

Nintendo is still very profitable and has a huge cash reserve... They don't want to sell.

Microsoft wouldn't buy Nintendo at the price it would take when they could have had Sega for a relative bargain. Sega would have been closer to what they're looking for: Many 1st party titles, lots of IP, not currently in the hardware business (but past experience in it), and losing money hand over fist (making them cheaper), and good titles that don't sell due to poor marketing (where MS would help).

Nintendo, being a successful company with its huge cash reserves would be too expensive to justify. Plus you have the argument that they wouldn't sell to an American, which is valid.

I would bet money that they'd buy Mitsubishi before they bought Nintendo.

Heh, I'm just waiting for this whole stupid story to blow over. Remember when MS wanted to buy Sega? Never happened. And Nintendo is several time more than Sega. I mean, Nintendo has billions with a B in the bank, so MS couldn't do this hostilly. And come on, like Yamauchi, renowned egotistical madman, would ever sell his family's century old company. jer7583 and dafoomie (in his post directly above) pretty much hit it on the head with their reasons.

I wish people would stop hypothisizing about this whole stupid thing. It's never going to happen, so talking about it is pointless.

Really, the whole thing is based on a off-color comment that Gates made that was taken completely out of context and blown way out of proportion. I'm already tired of hearing it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Heh, I'm just waiting for this whole stupid story to blow over. Remember when MS wanted to buy Sega? Never happened. And Nintendo is several time more than Sega. I mean, Nintendo has billions with a B in the bank, so MS couldn't do this hostilly. And come on, like Yamauchi, renowned egotistical madman, would ever sell his family's century old company. jer7583 and dafoomie (in his post directly above) pretty much hit it on the head with their reasons.

I wish people would stop hypothisizing about this whole stupid thing. It's never going to happen, so talking about it is pointless.

Really, the whole thing is based on a off-color comment that Gates made that was taken completely out of context and blown way out of proportion. I'm already tired of hearing it.[/quote]

Yeah this has been said before yet everyone keeps freaking about it or maybe it's just the XBox fanboys who are all fantasizing about it. It's not gonna happen and dafoomie I think part of the reason Sega didn't sell to MS was because they're not Japanese. I mean look now how Sega has been bought out by Sammy. :(

I think part of the reason Sega didn't sell to MS was because they're not Japanese. I mean look now how Sega has been bought out by Sammy. Sad

I think Sega would have taken the most money at that point, they were in a really bad position... I would rather be run by at least a division of MS totally comitted and focused on games than Sammy, who wants to focus on Pachinko and Arcade and less on consoles. I think MS would have left at least their development teams intact.

Besides, Sega was founded by an American in Japan, and was once owned by Gulf & Western. Sega stands for Service Games.

[quote name='dafoomie']
I think part of the reason Sega didn't sell to MS was because they're not Japanese. I mean look now how Sega has been bought out by Sammy. Sad

I think Sega would have taken the most money at that point, they were in a really bad position... I would rather be run by at least a division of MS totally comitted and focused on games than Sammy, who wants to focus on Pachinko and Arcade and less on consoles. I think MS would have left at least their development teams intact.

Besides, Sega was founded by an American in Japan, and was once owned by Gulf & Western. Sega stands for Service Games.[/quote]

Yeah but since then they've been TOTALLY Japanese and even Nintendo got a black eye in dealing with the Philips and the CD-i thing just to give you and everyone else here an impresssion of why Nintendo might rather have a Japanese company buy then ANY Non-Japanese one.

if nintendo sold out to microsoft i dont think i would have faith in anything anymore... i just might have to sell all my nintendo stuff and invest money in sony stock

[quote name='whiteboy']Nintendo finally countered. http://www.gcadvanced.com/article.php?artid=2921

As expected they are not for sale. Maybe they can work something out and do a joint console project.[/quote]

See? All of that fuss for nothing... :roll:

For years now, Nintendo has been saying that the day they stop producing their own consoles is the day that they go out of business. I believe them...and there's really not any reason NOT to at this point in time.

bread's done
Back