Mac Games?

CAGIronMan

CAGiversary!
I got a mac a while back, and still don't have any games for it. does anyone know of any that I can play?

P.S. this is the section i would put this in right?

Well, it's not Old School but it could be "Other Gaming Systems" so you're certainly not all wrong.

Most of Blizzard's games will run on a Mac, I played WoW for about 18 months on my Mac, I currently need to finish Diablo 2 on my Mac, Starcraft runs on my Mac. Neverwinter Nights 2 just got ported to Mac but I haven't tried that yet. If it's anything like the old Baldur's Gate computer games, I'll be in heaven.

Id check out some dedicated mac retailers online for software that is available for your mac... Ive never really played games on my mac except for a few You dont know Jack games years ago

I just bought an iMac and I picked up Warcraft 3 BC (somehow I missed it 5 years ago). Everything Blizzard makes is compatible on the mac which is nice. The system requirements on Neverwinter Nights 2 are pretty steep, so if your mac is older and not from the Pro line, it may not run. I didn't buy the mac for games obviously, but I am a bit surprised at not only the lack of choices, but also at the high prices of the games. I mean KoToR was great, but not worth me paying $50 to play it again 5 years later.

dan

[quote name='phreak5k']Just get bootcamp or parallels and boot into windows for some games.[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried Bootcamp yet (just picked up the mac on Thursday), but my buddy says that parallels really sucks up memory, making it difficult to run games. I would imagine Bootcamp doesn't have the same issue since you are booting directly to Windows, and the computer doesn't have to worry about running two OS's at once.

I second GH3, if you don't already own it on a console. Scissor kicks off the couch for the win!

dan

[quote name='CAGIronMan']And that means....?[/QUOTE]

Well, if it's anything like the PC version (also by Aspyerrrrdrd), that means it'll run like shit even if you have a fairly powerful system.

Turning off the crowd and all special effects is the order of the day.

[quote name='hpbbes']ut my buddy says that parallels really sucks up memory, making it difficult to run games.[/QUOTE]

Don't buy Parallels. Parallels is terrible. Buggy and unreliable. VMware Fusion is much, much better, *however* it is not for games, at least not 3D ones (neither is Parallels.) There is overhead associated with VMs that slow it down a bit relative to booting natively (though it is still quite fast), plus they have only limited 3D acceleration support and that's the game killer. VMware considers their 3D support "experimental" (and everything about Parallels is "experimental" regardless of how they describe it.)

If you want to run Windows games on your Mac, Boot Camp is definitely the way to go. You'll get full native speed and acceleration and full support for your games. If you want to run other kinds of Windows apps on your Mac, though, Fusion is fantastic, and much better than switching back and forth between Windows and Mac OS X. However, as you note, if you want to run Fusion (or for some inexplicable reason, Parallels), be sure to have lots of RAM in your Mac. I'd say 2 GB or more.

[quote name='CAGIronMan']And that means....?[/QUOTE]

When companies dont want to take the time to make a port they frequently turn to Aspyr who specializes in porting Windows based games to Macs and lately Console based games to Windows and Mac.

Quality varies... But support for ported items is never as good as the native build.

You can also find Jedi Outcast. I got it as a gift...I think my wife found it on amazon a long ways back for ~$5.

Check out Amazon's Mac games category.

Amazon currently has Civ IV Mac version for $29.99. I understand a patch helps with performance problems that plagued the inital release.

I can't believe I forgot. If it's an intel mac, you can get gametap! No windows games, but still, theres a lot of stuff to play.

[quote name='mcelfour']I can't believe I forgot. If it's an intel mac, you can get gametap! No windows games, but still, theres a lot of stuff to play.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but my stupid Mac just loves to forget that my gamepad is indeed plugged in.

I should just get a new mouse for my fiancees old-ass laptop and play Baldur's Gate on there. I miss that game.

As far as I'm concerned, running games on my mac means rebooting into windows. There are some good games for Mac OS X, but I don't see the point when it takes about a minute to reboot. Someday I'll get rid of XP for good, but it's going to be a while...

[quote name='|\|ES']As far as I'm concerned, running games on my mac means rebooting into windows. There are some good games for Mac OS X, but I don't see the point when it takes about a minute to reboot. Someday I'll get rid of XP for good, but it's going to be a while...[/QUOTE]

Windows 7 2010!

Well the problem is the Imac/ Apple Machine is a game
system stand alone. However people do not take it seriously.

It is mostly used for editing things like images, videos, and 3d graphics and is even in some anime studios that you like to watch everyday. That is my only reason to even use a Mac.

However we all know what is stopping use from getting a Mac. It is one little thing along with another little thing that will wipe out Microsoft Vista nonsense.

Watch me tie this in to the forum head...

For those interested in old school adventure gaming on the Mac, there is a Mac version of SCUMM VM that will allow you to run pretty much all of the LucasArts and Sierra adventure games, as well as various other adventure titles (they're adding new ones all the time). It can be found here: http://scummvm.org/

I have not tried the Mac version yet because I won't be getting my MacBook Pro until next month, so I cannot vouch for how well it works. But I am well acquainted with the PC and DS versions and they work flawlessly. You can find support for the Mac version in the SCUMM VM forums.

You're on your own for obtaining the actual games, however.

bread's done
Back