Macbook Air?

I ordered one earlier today, and so far from what I have seen I like the way the product has turned out. It has been a long ass computer drought for me. My last laptop was a 12 inch Powerbook G4 that I payed 2200 for back in the day. I gave it to my college bound sister as a grad present and I have been laptopless ever since. This new machine is by no means my primary computer, but it very much will feel (IMO) like a successor to my 12" PB. The aluminum, full sized keyboard, adequate speed and battery life. The lack of a disc drive really does not concern me, as I barely ever use one now. As for the battery being non-user replaceable, apple has said that you can go to the apple store, buy a new battery and they will replace the battery for you free of charge. I am by no means a hardcore computer guy, my old PB served me well and it was pricey for its time, I am sure this one will do the same.

Nibi ;

out of curiosity - which model did you opt for ? cheaper one or $3K+ ? - I've been a mac enthusiast for years but I do have concerns regarding Flash Mem technology as it's a known fact Flash mem is only meant to be written to X amnt of times. So I worry about problems arising. Incidentially I've been holding off on buying a new MacBook Pro hoping Apple would announce one for this MacWorld only to find out they only launched the 'Air' - so I am kinda bummed yet in queue for getting something new.

Hey rewn: I opted for the base 1.6 with the 80gb. I got it for 1699 with my student discount. 3000 for the SSD equipped one is ridiculous regardless of any limitations that this technology may have. I have been so out of the loop on apple laptops that a 1.6 core 2 duo is going to seem blazing fast. I only ever had 512 mb of ram in my PB so 2 gb is amazing to me.
I do not think this machine is perfect for everyone. But it fits my needs, the same way that if I wanted a high-end Crysis-killer of a gaming PC I would spring for a 500 dollar vid card, crazy motherboards, cooling, case, etc.

If anyone is thinking about getting one Apple is very liberal with their "Educational Discount" (online at least). It is basically done via the honor system. So if you want a 100 dollar discount you know what to do.

cool - let us know once it arrives how you like it after taking it for a spin - and yes I know the feeling of a nice new system after having dealt with the current ones for a while - hope you enjoy it - no matter what some of the haters may say - you'll be getting a slick system.

solid state memory seems to drop in price so bloomin' fast (even compared to HDD) that you'd best wait for a bit.

Personally, I'd be interested to see tests showing speed/performance differences between the SSD and the HDD, not to mention battery performance between the two.

But with $400 16GB Memory Stick Pro Duos coming out - by the end of this year, they'll probably be down to $100-200. Moveover, I'd say that with any brand new Apple product, give them a generation to get the kinks out.

Not bad, but Overpriced as usual.

I just picked up an XPS M1330 Fully loaded w/ Intel T7500 2.2Ghz Dual Core, 4GB Ram, and Nvidia 8400 GS for Only $775 after taxes. Sure it isn't the .8 inches thick, but it can run a whole lot more games and has a much much larger HD and an actual optical drive.

Being able to run TF2/Quake Wars/Hellgate london is much better to me than losing less than an inch of thickness.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm a big Apple supporter (I've only owned one Windows machine in my life), and I can assure you the irony of this machine is that (after looking at the box contents for the laptop), they do include restore DVDs for this item.

So, let's get this out of the way: :rofl:

You can use the optional superdrive, or the thing about this laptop is that it can piggyback on another computer's disc drive. From one of the product pages on the laptop:

Doesn't even have to be a Mac. If you need to reinstall in the middle of an Artic expedition, perhaps you're fucked. Otherwise, for most people, another PC is easily within reach. So you wouldn't need tech support, or even to take it in.[/quote]

I can see that your a mac user as you defend it by being as unrealistic as possible. Let's say you are on an overnight business trip at a hotel and it's late at night and you need access to an optical drive. What do you do? Pay $15 to use an internet connection for 15 minutes? Pretty pricey. The wireless access to an optical drive isn't always practical either as it's not always easy to get on private networks. I've known a lot of people who have gotten ultra potables like this that don't have things like optical drives and every one of them ended up hating it before long as they needed to carry around docking stations, external items, which beat the purpose of having an ultra portable to begin with, or they just couldn't get stuff done.

As much as Apple wants to convince everyone otherwise, there is nothing new here as everything here has been done before over and over again. Like most things Apple makes, they are just taking what others done, try to pretty it up and then do whatever they can to convince everyone it's brand new. I'm sure this has a place, as it would be good for use in large company's (and small company's with large buildings) where a user needs to be mobile as a regular laptop would be too heavy to be practical. The thing is that for though situation you can spend less money and get more power and functionality from a tablet. Besides, were the three business in the world that base their business around Macs even paying attention to this?

This is one of those things that is really cool at concept, but just doesn't work when practicality enters the equation.

[quote name='mykevermin']solid state memory seems to drop in price so bloomin' fast (even compared to HDD) that you'd best wait for a bit.

Personally, I'd be interested to see tests showing speed/performance differences between the SSD and the HDD, not to mention battery performance between the two.

But with $400 16GB Memory Stick Pro Duos coming out - by the end of this year, they'll probably be down to $100-200. Moveover, I'd say that with any brand new Apple product, give them a generation to get the kinks out.[/quote]

Maximum PC tested a SSD a few months ago and it was 2x faster or more in every benchmark as compared to a 10,000 raptor. Once it becomes cost effective they are going to be awesome. Right now a 64gig SSD is about $1400 though, so price is really the only issue.

[quote name='Zoglog']Not bad, but Overpriced as usual.[/QUOTE]
actually for that form factor the MacBook Air sports it is cheaper than comparable Sony Laptops.

[quote name='n25philly']I can see that your a mac user as you defend it by being as unrealistic as possible. Let's say you are on an overnight business trip at a hotel and it's late at night and you need access to an optical drive. What do you do? Pay $15 to use an internet connection for 15 minutes? Pretty pricey. The wireless access to an optical drive isn't always practical either as it's not always easy to get on private networks. I've known a lot of people who have gotten ultra potables like this that don't have things like optical drives and every one of them ended up hating it before long as they needed to carry around docking stations, external items, which beat the purpose of having an ultra portable to begin with, or they just couldn't get stuff done.

As much as Apple wants to convince everyone otherwise, there is nothing new here as everything here has been done before over and over again. Like most things Apple makes, they are just taking what others done, try to pretty it up and then do whatever they can to convince everyone it's brand new. I'm sure this has a place, as it would be good for use in large company's (and small company's with large buildings) where a user needs to be mobile as a regular laptop would be too heavy to be practical. The thing is that for though situation you can spend less money and get more power and functionality from a tablet. Besides, were the three business in the world that base their business around Macs even paying attention to this?

This is one of those things that is really cool at concept, but just doesn't work when practicality enters the equation.[/QUOTE]

Despite all your snarky jabs (three businesses use Macs, haw haw haw), Apple is like every other business out there: they make things that succeed and become popular (iPod), they make changes that set the standard for the industry (remember when removing the 3.5" floppy drive was a dumb move? Apple was the first to widely use USB, FireWire is their proprietary tech, etc), and they make things that fail and/or are bad ideas (Newton, 20th Anniversary Mac, Apple HiFi).

Let's be honest: this is probably not the "business" model Mac. It's not their high-end laptop. It's a laptop, and it has an optical drive if you want it. If you insist upon having it built into the laptop, then you're going to sacrifice what the Air offers, right? Their top-of-the-line laptop is still the MacBook Pro, not this.

Like the PS3: if you insist upon PS2 BC, buy the 80GB; if you don't care, get the 40GB.

Lastly, if you're so insistent upon Apple's need to plagiarize every bit of technology they introduce, I implore you to show me the PC equivalent of the Time Capsule.

[quote name='n25philly']Maximum PC tested a SSD a few months ago and it was 2x faster or more in every benchmark as compared to a 10,000 raptor. Once it becomes cost effective they are going to be awesome. Right now a 64gig SSD is about $1400 though, so price is really the only issue.[/QUOTE]

No doubt price is the issue, but it comes down so bloomin' quick that once it becomes mass market, it will be awesome (particularly because that will coincide with reasonably-priced SSD iPods of larger sizes that currently offered).

do people really not understand what ultraportables are?

Nphilly you are being unrealistic as well. You act as if that some pretend specific business trip is the the norm . I don't know what line of business your are in but CDs as a means to transfer data is pretty obsolete. Additionally, if you are on an overnight business trip you aren't likely to be carrying every CD/DVD you need either. If you have no need for an ultraportable, great, who cares? But just because you are too obtuse or myopic to see as use for it, doesn't means there aren't any. There are legitimite grips for Air, like the battery and RAM not being user replaceable but "I don't get it" doesn't qualify.

As for your anectdotal "observations".I have also known plenty of people who use ultraportables with no optical drive (of all types) and have not had a problem.

[quote name='usickenme']do people really not understand what ultraportables are?

Nphilly you are being unrealistic as well. You act as if that some pretend specific business trip is the the norm . I don't know what line of business your are in but CDs as a means to transfer data is pretty obsolete. Additionally, if you are on an overnight business trip you aren't likely to be carrying every CD/DVD you need either. If you have no need for an ultraportable, great, who cares? But just because you are too obtuse or myopic to see as use for it, doesn't means there aren't any. There are legitimite grips for Air, like the battery and RAM not being user replaceable but "I don't get it" doesn't qualify.

As for your anectdotal "observations".I have also known plenty of people who use ultraportables with no optical drive (of all types) and have not had a problem.[/quote]

You're tryiong to twist words. I tried to use an overnight business trip and it's a hell of a lot more realistic than all the people saying it makes sense because why would you need something while climbing a mountain or some stupid crap like that. I now I end up on a few myself every year. Hell, even IEEE gives you CDs at a lot of there conferences and they write the standards for all the network communications. My only point is that it's not always that easy and practical. Sorry, I deal with a lot of big billion dollar companies, and guess what there is a lot of data you're not allowed to transmit over the internet. How about your on a business trip and a customer hands you a CD you're supposed to look at. Again, avoiding reality isn't valid reasoning. There are better, more cost effective ways to do this. If Apple wanted to impress they would make an ultraportable with an optical drive, instead of regergitating what others have done while patting themselves on the back for being so original and hoping no one notices they are not.

It doesn't change the fact that it's an expensive limited use item that people are sitting around typing with one hand while wanking off purely because it's made by Apple.

[quote name='n25philly']It doesn't change the fact that it's an expensive limited use item that people are sitting around typing with one hand while wanking off purely because it's made by Apple.[/QUOTE]

It also doesn't change the less-brought-up corollary, that it's a product that gains the ire and malice of people precisely because it is made by Apple. It's like the "Legend of Frank" analogy in a different market.

I dunno, in my industry, flash drives have taken over. CDs' are largely trash. However, it is not suprising that an IEEE conference attendee is anti-apple. As for working with billion dollar companies, please, who cares. I go to McDonald's once in a while- they are a "billion dollar company". That doesn't make my opinion more or less valid than the next guy.

As for twisting words (here's to taking your own advice). Who is claiming they are wholly original. I think even Apple themselves are saying the MacBook Air is simply the best ultraportable out there not the only one or first one. I am not sure I agree. I would avoid the trap of thinking that making computers smaller and lighter is not innovative.

If you would stop froathing for 5 seconds you would realize your complaints are not really with apple but ultras in general. So the next time an ultra is announced, I would hope to see your posting the same FUD there.

Here is your first chance...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139394

Here is my analysis of what I think of apples latest creation:

Things I like:

-size
-led backlight
-built in wireless and bluetooth connections
-full size keyboard
-2gb memory
-touch sensitive sizing(windows, pictures, etc.)
-the TIME CAPSULE!!!
-the new intel chip (60% smaller!!!)

Things I HATE:

-1.6/1.8 ghz( you guys are capable of much more!)
-No optical drive!
-Built in battery(this means you cannot do replacement work yourself and you will need to pay full price for batteries through apple!) (129.00!)
-only 1 usb port!!!
-wirelessly haveing to install new applications!
-I dont want to have to pay itunes to rent movies just so I can have portable videos to watch besides torrents or transfering via flash drives!

These examples just begin my list. My HONEST recomendation for anyone looking at a new macbook would be to get a Macbook Pro instead. My experience with the pro has led me to believe that it is a true workhorse of a unit. The option for the SSD(solid state drive) for the more expensive model is a nice choice but I do not feel that it justifies the huge price jump. SSD does have its benefits though, so don't think I am bashing this newer technology. I just want to see it at a more reasonable price. Everyone wants a more energy effecient and protective way to store their data. I just purchased a new upgraded 20 inch imac last month (2.4ghz, 2 gig ram, 320gb hard drive, ati radeon hd 2600 card) and it is by far the most sexy and user absorbing experience that a computer has given me in a long time! Wait for the next versoin and see what they improve. Apple meets fans demands so I have reassured faith for versoin two.

If you seek a ultraportable laptop, I personally am going to get the new:

ASUS EEE 8g when it comes out 2nd quarter this year.

The Asus eee is selling out all over the place and the 4g version retails for $399. This is the number 1 selling laptop on amazon.com and I think that it will be for a while!

Feel free to email me for any other questions or just to talk apple products

-Yeldarb_the_titan
[email protected]

Ugh I want one... to bad college has made me poor.

I wonder why they don't put the operating system and drivers on a usb flash drive (I know it would be more expensive, yet they are fairly cheap nowadays and what is a few bucks tacked onto $1799?), then you wouldn't have to worry about having a DVD drive to reinstall your software.

[quote name='usickenme']I dunno, in my industry, flash drives have taken over. CDs' are largely trash. However, it is not suprising that an IEEE conference attendee is anti-apple. As for working with billion dollar companies, please, who cares. I go to McDonald's once in a while- they are a "billion dollar company". That doesn't make my opinion more or less valid than the next guy.

As for twisting words (here's to taking your own advice). Who is claiming they are wholly original. I think even Apple themselves are saying the MacBook Air is simply the best ultraportable out there not the only one or first one. I am not sure I agree. I would avoid the trap of thinking that making computers smaller and lighter is not innovative.

If you would stop froathing for 5 seconds you would realize your complaints are not really with apple but ultras in general. So the next time an ultra is announced, I would hope to see your posting the same FUD there.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139394[/quote]

You know there is a difference between hating Apple and just not wanting to jerk off to everything they do. One, where did I say ultra portable good, Macbook Air bad? I've been pretty negative throughout on all ultraportables.

Second, where did I say it was a bad laptop other than the lack of optical. Hell, I even said the prices isn't bad for what it is. All I've said that it's pretty impractical. There are better choices for business such as a tablet, and for entertainment, you kind of need an optical for things like DVDs. Unless you can provide the functionality of a full pc it doesn't make any sense over something like the microsoft oragami or a smartphone/windows mobile/iphone which are all way more portable. This is a 100% buy for no other reason than tried to have a posession make me look cool when I'm not product.

[quote name='yeldarbthetitan']
Things I HATE:

-1.6/1.8 ghz( you guys are capable of much more!)
-No optical drive!
-Built in battery(this means you cannot do replacement work yourself and you will need to pay full price for batteries through apple!) (129.00!)
-only 1 usb port!!!
-wirelessly haveing to install new applications!
-I dont want to have to pay itunes to rent movies just so I can have portable videos to watch besides torrents or transfering via flash drives!
[/quote]

1.6Ghz is a lot of power for lightweight laptops.
Most lightweight laptops do not have an optical drive.
Apple always has built in batteries.
True. USB ports are small and cheap enough to have more than 1.
It's just a feature. You can still use any external DVD drive to install apps.
It's Apple software on an Apple laptop. And you can still transfer data over wireless.

I'm not a fan of Apple but the iPhone and now the MacBook Air have shown me that even though they're really annoying, they still make great, innovative products.

If you seek a ultraportable laptop, I personally am going to get the new:

ASUS EEE 8g when it comes out 2nd quarter this year.

The Asus eee is selling out all over the place and the 4g version retails for $399. This is the number 1 selling laptop on amazon.com and I think that it will be for a while!

Those Eee PC's look hot. This is what people were hoping for when MS introduced the Origami project (UMPC's) only these have no tablet mode.

I would spend $500 for an Eee PC if it was a convertible (a laptop that rotates and folds into a tablet).

[quote name='usickenme']I dunno, in my industry, flash drives have taken over. CDs' are largely trash. However, it is not suprising that an IEEE conference attendee is anti-apple. As for working with billion dollar companies, please, who cares. I go to McDonald's once in a while- they are a "billion dollar company". That doesn't make my opinion more or less valid than the next guy.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139394[/quote]

Funny, where I work there are still people that use floppies. We even have some DOS computers. Not everyone stays at the top of the technology spectrum.

[quote name='n25philly']Funny, where I work there are still people that use floppies. We even have some DOS computers. Not everyone stays at the top of the technology spectrum.[/quote]

DOS?!? Floppy's I can understand. Most servers still come with floppy's. But what kind of place still uses DOS?

Also, if you're not interested in staying at the top of the technology spectrum, you probably aren't interested in uber-thin laptops. Or anything from Apple post 2003.

[quote name='n25philly']Funny, where I work there are still people that use floppies. We even have some DOS computers. Not everyone stays at the top of the technology spectrum.[/quote]
Do you use one of these?
OldLaptop.jpg

It has a floppy drive if you're wondering. ;)

[quote name='n25philly']You know there is a difference between hating Apple and just not wanting to jerk off to everything they do. One, where did I say ultra portable good, Macbook Air bad? I've been pretty negative throughout on all ultraportables.
[/QUOTE]

I dunno when you only post in the Apple thread, it makes me wonder.

I work very hard at not learning DOS too well just to make sure I don't get strapped down with one. I work in a machine shop, and some of the machines only communicate with DOS. Hey, we're making communication equipment for things like GPS and TV satellites. Doesn't that make you feel good about those products!

This is a real work computer. It's got a turbo button, how can it not be fast?

MVC-266X.jpg

[quote name='Moxio']Wait, this only have 1 USB port?

Ah, fuck this.[/QUOTE]
yeah unfortunately...what do you want to hook up to the laptop that you need more than 1 USB slot tho?

[quote name='Jewelz23']yeah unfortunately...what do you want to hook up to the laptop that you need more than 1 USB slot tho?[/QUOTE]

It's just a matter of convenience, I guess. For example, if I want to print off a picture from a digital camera, I would like to have two USB ports available.

The benefits to that thing are highly superficial. It costs an arm and a leg and other laptops in it's price range put it to shame. Plus, is it me, or does it look really fragile? What audience are they trying to get, anyway? I'm thiking that this thing will fail. It has no place in the market. It's like if they sold the Wii for 400 dollars. [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Moxio']It's just a matter of convenience, I guess. For example, if I want to print off a picture from a digital camera, I would like to have two USB ports available.[/quote]

if you have the macbook air i would think you had a wireless print server or/and a wireless anabled digital camera so you wouldnt even need the one usb port!!

anyways..i saw the commercial for the first time just now, came in here to post about it....it looks cool....thats about it for me though

[quote name='redgopher']Apple is about simplicity. If you're a PC person, obviously you'll think the MacBook Air is a piece of shit.[/quote]

Ahh read me like a book

I think Apple is just drawing on the fact that people will pay exorbitant amounts for thin, light, and white electronics for no reason.

I'm typing on my iBook now -- ya know, a Mac that doesn't cost $1700+ and actually has an optical drive :)

Yeah, it's an engineering marvel and looks pretty damn sharp, but the Air lacks in functionality for real people. Oh look, I can slide it into an office envelope. What office exactly would issue such a laptop to its employees? Pretentious Douchebag Inc.? :)

The iPhone is probably more functional truth be told.

bread's done
Back