Macbook deals?

FecesBreath

CAGiversary!
Any clue on where to find any deals on Macbooks?

I know this is extremely rare, but I'm just curious. For example, my alma matter had a deal for students, but I don't qualify because I graduated last year. But I guess I would think that there has to be SOME place to get a Macbook at some sort of a discount, even if its only like $100.

Any thoughts?

Lucky for you, MacMall is having a Macworld sale. For me, Macs are a bit pricey for the hardware you get, but I guess you're paying for the extra stuff like style and OS X. Hope you find something you like for a good price.

Normally, I wouldn't have considered getting a Mac. But I recently started a new job, and my boss is a huge Mac nut...and I think the time I'm spending on them at work is making me want one of my own.

I was actually browsing around myself for some deals...

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Lucky for you, MacMall is having a Macworld sale. For me, Macs are a bit pricey for the hardware you get, but I guess you're paying for the extra stuff like style and OS X. Hope you find something you like for a good price.[/quote]

Thanks for the info! Is this place reputable? With these kind of purchases, I've always been a go buy it in person guy.

I was given a Macbook at my current job, which is why I've fallen in love with it. I don't game on my computers at all, and I love OS X and the way Adobe everything runs on it.

Do you have any recommendations for a PC laptop though? My current laptop is a Toshiba Satellite and I hate it. Before that, I had a desktop Compaq, and we all know what happened there. I've become a Mac nut so I wouldn't even know where to begin with a PC purchase. All I really want is something where I can run Abobe CS and music mixing software seamlessly.

Thanks to cider, more games are available to play on the Mac. Standalone versions of Half-Life Source, Half-Life 2 (and Eps. 1/2), and Portal immediately come to mind. So even if you aren't a gamer, should you really want to, it's there. And Boot Camp works well; Bioshock runs like a dream on my WinXP drive (I had to have one to run a stats package whose port on the Mac is ten kinds of terrible).

I've owned 1 Windows computer in over 20 years of using them. You buy them if you want games and viruses, or don't want to spend Apple money on a computer. The only problem I have with my Mac is, ironically, Microsoft's fault. Mac Office 2008 doesn't operate nicely with the awesome, awesome, awesome 'spaces' program that's a part of the Mac OS X. So I have to run with spaces turned off so Office doesn't run amok and fuck everything up. Thanks, MS!

Actually guys, you may want to think twice about MacMall. Seems like people have either a really good experience, or a really bad one. Check out reviews for them at reseller ratings and nextag.

As for PC notebooks, it all depends. There is such a wide variety of options. A good starting point would be to know the type of budget you have. Also, go check out newegg.com and just check out the customer reviews for the pc notebooks in your price range. Most of the people who leave reviews are pretty in depth, and will give you a good idea of whether or not you'd like that notebook pc.

Good luck!

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Actually guys, you may want to think twice about MacMall. Seems like people have either a really good experience, or a really bad one. Check out reviews for them at reseller ratings and nextag.

As for PC notebooks, it all depends. There is such a wide variety of options. A good starting point would be to know the type of budget you have. Also, go check out newegg.com and just check out the customer reviews for the pc notebooks in your price range. Most of the people who leave reviews are pretty in depth, and will give you a good idea of whether or not you'd like that notebook pc.

Good luck![/quote]

I could tell right away that MacMall looked fishy, which is why I was hoping a fellow CAG would give me a vote of confidence on them.

As for a PC laptop, my understanding is that the primary things to look at are processor speed, RAM, and hard drive. But after that, I'm a noob. I don't know the 'real' difference between one processor to another, or if that extra .1 GHZ really matters. As I said, I don't intend to game on it at all, just some Photoshop, Audition, and ProTools. If I buckle and get a PC, I'm leaning towards a Dell (I live in Austin, TX and you can't escape them) but I don't want to make the same mistake I did with this crappy Toshiba.

Thanks for all of your help peeps.

Nice to see l'm not alone in trying to decide on what to do. After my latest laptop hassle, l'm debating whether to go Macbook or not? a 17in screen is pricey which is what l've gotten used to
& For a Macbook pro that over $2000 makes a windows laptop look pretty inviting

Apple doesn't really have that great of sales. l'm tempted to pick up a Mac Mini for the tv room a music & a descent 17in win/Laptop under $800, and not have the cost of a MacBook Pro in 2 New Machines

In case you guys didn't know, Apple is having a "sale" for their refurbished macs. So go check it out.

Personally, I just picked this baby up. It should get to me tomorrow. It's where my money went instead of picking up a nice hdtv, since my current notebook is starting to fail on me. Priorities, right? Haha.

If you have a job, your employer might have a volume purchasing agreement with Apple. In that case, you'll get a small discount on new products and more significant money off refurbs.

A refurbished MacBook purchased directly from Apple is probably the best way to go, especially since you can get an AppleCare warranty on it (which I would highly recommend). I have a MacBook Pro and love it. When I travel, I can do work on OS X, then use Boot Camp to fire up Windows XP for some gaming.

[quote name='nazrad']go to the apple education store. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing/
I don't think they use anything to actually confirm you still attend the school.

You can also go to an apple store and show your student ID as long as you still have it.[/quote]

Wait, so going to the apple store and with my old student ID works? Really? They won't call the school or something, or run my ID? I'll tell you that the on campus store (I graduated from UT last year) always scanned your ID before granting you discounts. It can't be that easy, can it? :booty:And I would gladly take the $50 discount, which is better than nothing!

Also, does anyone know where I can buy THIS MACBOOK MODEL other than MacMall? I believe it has been discontinued because of the aluminum models that were introduced last year. My alma mater had that one on clearance for $999 but I couldn't get around their student only policy.

How about refurbs? I am typing on a 15-inch last generation refurb I picked up for $1500. I guess it depends if you want the dual graphics or the keyboard, but I think that my macbook works great so far. I haven't had time to put it through its paces yet, though, but I'm sure it will do what I need it to just fine.

[quote name='FecesBreath']Wait, so going to the apple store and with my old student ID works? Really? They won't call the school or something, or run my ID? I'll tell you that the on campus store (I graduated from UT last year) always scanned your ID before granting you discounts. It can't be that easy, can it? :booty:And I would gladly take the $50 discount, which is better than nothing!

Also, does anyone know where I can buy THIS MACBOOK MODEL other than MacMall? I believe it has been discontinued because of the aluminum models that were introduced last year. My alma mater had that one on clearance for $999 but I couldn't get around their student only policy.[/QUOTE]

I would love to get the black one. I'm on a MacBook right now. 2.4GHz 2GB ram and 160GB hard drive and got it in June for $1300. That black one is nice for the price plus it won't get as dirty. Mine's not filthy, but I can see some slight darkening. I'd go for that or the new aluminum ones.

I've purchase a Time Machine from MacMall along with a bag for my MacBook. They were great in getting me my stuff quickly and with free shipping after rebate. I would go with them for the price and the free stuff you can get.

While there weren't any major announcements at Macworld this year, I would hold off on a Mini as rumors may have a new version out in a month or two. Also, Snow Leopard is supposed to be out in a few months I think.

Wow some of those macbooks are pricey, man I could buy a pc desktop and laptop for that price. I'd consider a Macbook, anyone own or use a Mac Desktop? I was never a big fan of them.

I have a Mac Mini and I am LOVING it. For someone that was a PC lover all these years, Apple sure made me eat my words. I'll buy a Macbook some day when I'm not so broke (or pick up a refurbished one in a couple years). OSX is really solid and if it wasn't for all the business software I use that is PC only, I think I would really work towards being a 100% Mac User (along with Windows XP in Parallels of course for safe measure). Best of both worlds :) Good luck OP!

I BOUGHT A MAC!

Thanks for all of your input everyone. Here is what I picked up a few minutes ago:

Macbook (Black)

Apple stands by its refurbished models so I think it will all work out. I'm so excited!

Last edited by a moderator:
I BOUGHT A MAC!

Thanks for all of your input everyone. Here is what I picked up a few minutes ago:

Macbook (Black)

Apple stands by its refurbished models so I think it will all work out. I'm so excited!

bread's done
Back