macs... cheap macs.

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
so my mom has a mac. i never really cared for them. but she recently upgraded to os x panther or kitty kat or whatever. and i have to say i like it a lot more. anyway i was thinking about buying a mac. but i dont even know where to buy macs, let alone cheap ones or build cheap ones and what not, ive only worked with and bought windows pcs. anyway, if some of you apple kids can help me out thatd be great.

As far as I know... you can't build a Mac. And Macs aren't cheap unless you can get old models on clearence. CompUSA carries Macs, not sure of any other places.

Check Apple's site to get an idea of how much you can expect to spend. I tell ya, I'd love to have one but they're like 30% more than what you pay for a Windows PC.

[quote name='Vinny']As far as I know... you can't build a Mac. And Macs aren't cheap unless you can get old models on clearence. CompUSA carries Macs, not sure of any other places.

Check Apple's site to get an idea of how much you can expect to spend. I tell ya, I'd love to have one but they're like 30% more than what you pay for a Windows PC.[/QUOTE]

yeah, ive checked the website and came to the same conclusion (about getting a great windows pc for the same price or less), i was hoping someone would know more though.

you cannot build your own mac.

go to apple.com and customize your INTEL mac
go to an apple store
get boot camp
enjoy a superior computer, you will love it.

[quote name='b0bx13']Be sure to get an Intel Mac so you can use Boot Camp.[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm mistaken, they claim bootcamp will work for most macs, not just the intel macs. Also, you can get a student discount through your university, if that is an option for you.

www.dealmac.com is a good place to find deals, especially on refurbs. deals for imacs appear all the time (I want one of those!)

If you're looking for an entry level laptop, they should be introducing the intel ibooks by june. I got my ibook in december and love it. I seriously doubt I'm ever going back to windows. OSX is great!

[quote name='dayglo']Unless I'm mistaken, they claim bootcamp will work for most macs, not just the intel macs. Also, you can get a student discount through your university, if that is an option for you.[/QUOTE]

It's intel only

[quote name='Vinny']What the heck is boot camp?[/QUOTE]

It allows you to run windows xp on a mac machine. It's officially made by apple, so this is a huge step. It's different from what a lot of people are doing because you can't open xp inside of OSX but have to choose one or the other from boot. It's going to be pretty crazy.

[quote name='munch']It allows you to run windows xp on a mac machine. It's officially made by apple, so this is a huge step. It's different from what a lot of people are doing because you can't open xp inside of OSX but have to choose one or the other from boot. It's going to be pretty crazy.[/quote]

Still got a spend a nice chunk of change for Windows though, unless you are a student that is.

can i use my existing copy of windows with bootcamp? i would assume that i can.

so those with boot camp, i can use that to have a mac the dual boots and i can pick osx or xp?

[quote name='iheartmetal']can i use my existing copy of windows with bootcamp? i would assume that i can.

so those with boot camp, i can use that to have a mac the dual boots and i can pick osx or xp?[/QUOTE]

yep, that's exactly it. There's a beta for another program that allows you to use xp inside of OSX. That sounds like a better option, but it's in beta now and will cost you about $50 when it hits full release.

you can find info about this stuff at:

www.macrumors.com
www.thinksecret.com
www.mac-forums.com

etc. . . .

[quote name='SOSTrooper']You can get a mac mini that runs on intel core for about $600.[/QUOTE]

I say if you're going to go that route you might as well pony up and get the imac. It's a much better machine and is sleek as hell, IMO.

[quote name='munch']I say if you're going to go that route you might as well pony up and get the imac. It's a much better machine and is sleek as hell, IMO.[/QUOTE]

any idea if the imac is worth getting now, or are the desktops that much better that i should wait until the intels are produced for them?

I love my Mac. I bought a Mac Mini last July and refuse to switch back to owning a windows based PC.

As for cheap Macs, you can't get cheaper than a Mac Mini. The new ones are pretty damn pimp too with their single or dual core intel processors, 2gigs of ram, and Front Row built in with the remote, they are pretty much little multimedia machines.

I will probably sell my G4 mac soon and get a macbook pro for grad school or a new 20" imac. If you go to school (college or high school) use your student discount for 10-15% off.

If you don't care about running Windows, you could probably pick up a cheap PowerPC-based G4 or G5 Mac cheap on eBay now that everyone is moving to Intel hardware.

[quote name='blackjaw']I love my Mac. I bought a Mac Mini last July and refuse to switch back to owning a windows based PC.

As for cheap Macs, you can't get cheaper than a Mac Mini. The new ones are pretty damn pimp too with their single or dual core intel processors, 2gigs of ram, and Front Row built in with the remote, they are pretty much little multimedia machines.

I will probably sell my G4 mac soon and get a macbook pro for grad school or a new 20" imac. If you go to school (college or high school) use your student discount for 10-15% off.[/QUOTE]

10-15% off, haha. The discount is $20 off of both models. That results to a savings of 3.3% for the $600 model and a savings of 2.5% for the $800 model. Those things aren't really high margin, and is a "gateway mac", get people hooked on OS X so they'll pony up for a higher-margin/higher-end Macbook Pro or iMac.

bread's done
Back