Mad Catz Blaster (PS2) $9.99 In-Store @ CC, YMMV

CouRageouS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
ed47d9b5.jpg

I was looking to see if CC had WWE:DOR today but not yet, so I went to see if I can get another $9.99 Retrocon like last week, and found this! I didn't pick one up, but 2 CCs I went to had quite a few in stock. I've read mixed reviews on this but it has vibration, USB and controller port plugs, and looks better in person then in pictures online. Not bad if you want a pair of guns for $20.

Madcatz sorta won me over with their solid Retrocon, so I'm considering picking one up with the $10 gift card from DOR. Oh yea, I also checked the CC website where they used to have that on their for $19.99, now its not there at all.

I'm going by there today on my lunch break. I'm def. gonna pick one up if my sorry ass old school CC has them. Man I can't wait for the new on to open on 9/16. Thanx for the heads up OP.

Punq may have not seen this thread yet or just isn't looking since I also posted this deal in the lightgun thread. He won't need these anyway.

Yeah I figured he must have something better than these by now. I was thinking of holding out for the next generation of lightguns myself, but if I find two of these for $20 total, I will definitely jump on it. Gamestop sells these for $40 each!

[quote name='CouRageouS']Punq may have not seen this thread yet or just isn't looking since I also posted this deal in the lightgun thread. He won't need these anyway.[/quote]

Where is the light gun thread? I missed it or something...

hey guys, sorry im late :wink:

this gun got great reviews (9.0) from ign:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/433/433394p1.html

Performance
Handles very well and serves to mow down rows of cannibal zombie women.

Build Quality
It may sound cheap, but the production quality is very high. It still feels plastic however.

Ease of Use
Relatively easy to use, although you should read the manual!

Features
Auto fire, auto reload, and preset reload.

Comfort
Very ergonomic; you're able to use it one or two handed, left or right.

Overall Rating (Not an average)

as for the light gun thread, its located here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24825

if anyone can confirm this ill put it on the front page of the thread.

thanks CouRageouS!

[quote name='Smell']am i the only one that thinks its wierd taking a digital camera around ?[/quote]

Likely a camera phone, at least that'd be my guess.

Something just occured to me, how's come we never discussed light gun games or light guns from other systems other than PS1/2 on that thread?

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Something just occured to me, how's come we never discussed light gun games or light guns from other systems other than PS1/2 on that thread?[/quote]

i really dont know...maybe because the ps/ps2 have the only active light gun genre. or perhaps because i put it in the ps2 section :lol:

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='Smell']am i the only one that thinks its wierd taking a digital camera around ?[/quote]

Likely a camera phone, at least that'd be my guess.[/quote]

Haha yes camera phone indeed. The quality is better than that pic. Its blurry cause a CC employee asked me if I was doing research right before I hit the button. Its actually a pretty nice camera compared to my old sprint phone from last year. Takes videos too.

so this gun works w/ all the PS 2 games, but the GunCon 2 doesn't? if this is the case, I'd definitely like one (or two), as my CC didn't have any.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Something just occured to me, how's come we never discussed light gun games or light guns from other systems other than PS1/2 on that thread?[/quote]

Xbox really only has House of the Dead 3 and thats about it

[quote name='hutno'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Something just occured to me, how's come we never discussed light gun games or light guns from other systems other than PS1/2 on that thread?[/quote]

Xbox really only has House of the Dead 3 and thats about it[/quote]

Silent Scope Complete and Starsky & Hutch, plus the sequel coming out soon may have ligth gun play again. Actually if PS2 didn't have Namco's and Capcom's support the only (US) title they'd have beside Starsky and Hutch would be Endgame. Plus what about the Dramcast which brought us some nice light gun games too. Then there's there Saturn...Besides I didn't say just games, nobody ever talks about Xbox guns or anything.

But it's really Punq's show, I'm just along for the ride, so if he wants to stick to PS1/PS2 that's more than fine by me.

you guys can talk about whatever systems/guns you want, i dont care ^^

thats why i changed the name from ps1+1 to "lightgun discussion"

its in ps2 because the thread started as me trying to compile a list of the games.

Good to know a couple people got them. I didn't get a pair cause I really don't need them, but I still might. To those who got them, what do you guys think of them?

If there's a Micro Center around, you guys may want to check them. I picked up a couple of P99G2 Light Blasters there for $4.99 each. They're PS1 and Guncon compatible, have a nice recoil effect, include the Guncon video adapter and a reload pedal. They're modeled after the real Walther P99 gun, so they look cool and aren't too big.

You can see the P99G2 Blaster is modeled after the Walther P99 with the accessory light: http://www.waltheramerica.com/ShoppingBag.cfm?ProductID=328&ctgr=4

For older light gun games, they don't have the best accuracy from too far away. In Guncon mode they flat out rock. Slightly less accurate than an official Guncon, but very close. Playing Time Crisis with actual recoil and a pedal is way too cool.

This is standard PS1 light gun mode and Guncon mode. There's no USB and therefore no Guncon 2 compatibility. But every Guncon 2 era game I've seen still supports the original Guncon.

Anyway, if you can still find these, I think you'll be pleased, especially at $4.99.

Here's the only review with pics that I found, in French no less: http://translate.google.com/transla...=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

Incidentally, James Bond carries a Walther P99 nowadays. So if it's good enough for 007...

Someone got one of those guns online, and yea no USB means it doesnt wouldn't work with GC2 only games. A bit of a letdown since all third party guns made for PS2 have a USB connection, so that guns most likely made for PS1 and they repackaged it to say PS1/2 compatible.

For sure I know Time Crisis 3 is a GC2 only game. And either Ninja Assault or Vampire Nights is GC2 only (one of them, not both). I'd also bet Crisis Zone is gonna be GC2 only too.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Someone got one of those guns online, and yea no USB means it doesnt wouldn't work with GC2 only games. A bit of a letdown since all third party guns made for PS2 have a USB connection, so that guns most likely made for PS1 and they repackaged it to say PS1/2 compatible.

For sure I know Time Crisis 3 is a GC2 only game. And either Ninja Assault or Vampire Nights is GC2 only (one of them, not both). I'd also bet Crisis Zone is gonna be GC2 only too.[/quote]yeah its good to have a pair of guncon 2's in addition to all else ^^

Well I actually got a chance to stop by my local Circuit City only to be disappointed. The Xbox MC Blaster was like $40, while the PS2 version was still $20. Maybe I'll check back there next week.

[quote name='punqsux']yeah its good to have a pair of guncon 2's in addition to all else ^^[/quote]
Agreed. As much as I love the Desert Eagles, I'm still probably getting another GunCon2 when Crisis Zone hits. I'd definately want a pair of GC2s incase the Eagles ever die on me or something.

Duo, I'll check to see if the Xbox Blaster is also $10 next time I go.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Agreed. As much as I love the Desert Eagles, I'm still probably getting another GunCon2 when Crisis Zone hits. I'd definately want a pair of GC2s incase the Eagles ever die on me or something.[/quote]

I know the GunCon2 is a super gun, but it's so plain! :lol:

I like recoil and a foot pedal.

I have one of the Desert Eagles and I'm really disappointed. 1st, it's electric green. 2nd, it's actually the size of a Desert Eagle, so it's big and heavy and uncomfortable to grip. 3rd, the recoil seems to jam up sometimes. It's not really recoil, just a motorized slide. I like a nice snap to it. I guess it's time for this guy to go on ebay.

So I'm still looking for the perfect GunCon2 compatible gun with recoil and a pedal. They seem to exist in Europe.

[quote name='capnharlock'][quote name='CouRageouS']Agreed. As much as I love the Desert Eagles, I'm still probably getting another GunCon2 when Crisis Zone hits. I'd definately want a pair of GC2s incase the Eagles ever die on me or something.[/quote]

I know the GunCon2 is a super gun, but it's so plain! :lol:

I like recoil and a foot pedal.

I have one of the Desert Eagles and I'm really disappointed. 1st, it's electric green. 2nd, it's actually the size of a Desert Eagle, so it's big and heavy and uncomfortable to grip. 3rd, the recoil seems to jam up sometimes. It's not really recoil, just a motorized slide. I like a nice snap to it. I guess it's time for this guy to go on ebay.

So I'm still looking for the perfect GunCon2 compatible gun with recoil and a pedal. They seem to exist in Europe.[/quote]

I probably don't want a Mission/Cybergun then, I am cursed with small hands. If you don't like the green color and find the size too big, Hais, the company that makes the Mission light gun, also makes a smaller one called the Spymaster. The recoil quality may be better or equal to the Cyberguns (the green ones), I dunno as I haven't actually tried either. But the Spymaster may be a better fit for you, it's something I've been thinking about picking up.

Also, if you do get the chance I'd greatly appreciate it Courageous.

I really don't think they're that heavy, the arcade guns are a lot heavier than the Eagles. The handle does take some getting used to especially if you already had a GC2 beforehand but certainly not major considering the quality of the recoil. I find the recoil very satisfactory, I've been using my pair consistently for the past 3 days with no problems. I've been showing them off to everyone. Still getting the same LOUD "rat-tat-tat" noise that makes the neighbors look over.

Oh and if you want a pedal, you buy it separately and plug it into the buttom of the handle. They're called "Reload Pedals". All import guns made for PS2 have the input.

dont dismiss the eagle because of its size. i too have a condition known as "little girls hands" however you get used to it after a few games.

the kickbak is just awesome. after you play with it, its really hard to play without it. its like"im shooting? why dont i hear any noise?!"

my roomate and i have actully had to turn the kick back off in some long multiplayer sessions. that stuff hurts!!

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Does it work with hdtvs?[/quote]

It's odd...Mad Catz's website said the Xbox version supports 100hz and progressive scan, but the product listing for the PS2 version doesn't mention it at all.

PS2 Link

Xbox Link

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='BULL_Ship']Does it work with hdtvs?[/quote]

It's odd...Mad Catz's website said the Xbox version supports 100hz and progressive scan, but the product listing for the PS2 version doesn't mention it at all.

PS2 Link

Xbox Link[/quote]

The box for the ps2 says, "Blaster Supports 50/60/100hz and most progressive scan tv's"

I didn't see this blaster at my CC, but did see it at GS for $15. Does anyone know if I need any special cables to use this gun on a PSone?
Also, how is this gun with the Time Crisis: Project Titan?
Edit: Sorry for bumping a really old topic instead of making another thread in the other forum. Moderators, do what needs to be done to this thread.

bread's done
Back