Mad Catz Xbox Live Arcade Retro Stick for $9.99 new at Gamestop

Drkirby

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Eh, not really sure if this counts since its there normal price now, but I think its a good deal.

What you get is the arcade stick (Works decently, and you can force one of your friends to use it if you are short a controller since it had every button), $20 worth of Live Arcade games (You get Froger and Time Pilot by Konami, and Astropop by Popcap) and a 48 hour xbox live trial.

Considering the thing cost $35 new on Amazon, and from pelling back the stickers was $60 when it came out, I feel its a good price.

802511b.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=61832

Come for the price, stay for the games.

Be warned!...this joystick is vintage old skool pre-SF IV Tourney Stick Mad Catz. Your mileage may vary.

I've heard the quality is very low on these sticks. but if you don't mind it's certainly a good deal. just don't expect a solution much better than the clumsy d-pad.

I can never understand how to use this stick properly by looking at product pic. Maybe worth it for Frogger & Time Pilot then again, I have numerous version of this game on diffrent systems. PASS.

[quote name='the4thnobleman']Scope this review and a fix for making it "feel" more like an arcade joystick:[/QUOTE]

I do something similar with my Beatmania controller: I put some snapping velcro on the bottom and on my table, so when I want to play, I just snap it on. I suppose I could do the same with this...

I had one and it's a total piece of crap (IMO).

Might be worth $10 if you get the 3 XBLA games with it, if you don't I wouldn't bother.

Wow, great deal! I've been waiting for GS to drop the price to $10 for a long time, ever since people started seeing them this cheap at Fry's. I'm kind of losing my interest in gaming, but I might just pick one up for the hell of it all.

I might get one...Since I need a new USB plug in for one of my wired controllers anyways (noticed my dog was chewing on it and its all bent to hell now).

So I'd be getting the 3 XBLA games, USB plug in and a 48 hour trial, plus the arcade stick, all for 10 bucks? Not bad. I'll try to see if it's in stock near me. Thanks OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Slim Gatsby']This is a piece of garbage, but for $10, its worth it just for the games.[/quote]
Thats what I was thinking. Tough its D-Pad is better then the 360's.

[quote name='Drkirby']Thats what I was thinking. Tough its D-Pad is better then the 360's.[/quote]

LOL. Serious? I don't own this so maybe it is worth a purchase just for the D-Pad alone.

Yeah, it's not the best joystick in the world but, damn if I didn't enjoy the hell out of time pilot with this thing. Sloppy control and all, it just brought me back to those good old atari 2600 days. Then I attempted Pac-Man CE with it and promptly returned to the 360 controller. Still, for $10, it's worth it for the games if you're at all interested in them. Good looking out, DrKirby!

If I remember correctly you can strip this piece of junk and use the board inside to make your own custom stick. This is a really cheap alternative to having to destroy a regular 360 controller. So if you are interested in building your own stick for SFIV or just for the hell of it I suggest picking this up. But check around because I may be wrong.

I was in for 2 at Fry's electronics when they had these on sale for $7-8 I believe.. comes w/ some DLC and 48 hours of Gold Live..

The price drop happened in June of last year. I picked up two of them then. I think since then I've only seen one behind the counter at stores.

I bought one of these a few months ago at $12.99, mainly for the games. When I opened it, the cards for the games had expired in June 2008, so I returned it.

[quote name='Escargoexpress']Do they actually enforce expiration dates on XBL related stuff? I've heard of XBL subscription cards working past expiration date[/QUOTE]

If not, I'll go pick another one up...

All the cards worked fine for me a few months ago despite being expired.

I also used this for a padhack in my custom stick and it was a breeze.

well i had this and yes its ok, i got it at meijers a year ago on clearence for 3.00. but you can trade these in @ game crazy for 14.25 credit, very flip worthly.

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']If I remember correctly you can strip this piece of junk and use the board inside to make your own custom stick. This is a really cheap alternative to having to destroy a regular 360 controller. So if you are interested in building your own stick for SFIV or just for the hell of it I suggest picking this up. But check around because I may be wrong.[/quote]
Can you find some info on this?

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']If I remember correctly you can strip this piece of junk and use the board inside to make your own custom stick. This is a really cheap alternative to having to destroy a regular 360 controller. So if you are interested in building your own stick for SFIV or just for the hell of it I suggest picking this up. But check around because I may be wrong.[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=4882

:)

I bought a few of them from BB a long time ago for $12 each. I ended up return all of them ( I actually kept one for the games), since this stick is purely garbage. The spring under the stick makes very annoying sound when you turn the stick in circular motios. Madcatz have very poor quality control - that is the only reason I did not order a SF IV stick.

I just got 2 of them for the PCB. Also a better way to search gamestop to see if any are around you just put in google:

mad catz retro gamestop

that searches gamestop better than their own search engine and shows you whats in your area.

[quote name='controlcommerce']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=4882

:)[/QUOTE]

So if you got a minute, how much would it cost (roughly) to get a fairly decent arcade stick set up like in your blog using the parts from this thing?

I've never owned arcade sticks before, but for some reason, I really kind of want to for SFIV. Granted the price of the official one sets off my CAGness. However if I'd only save, say, twenty bucks, it might not be worth it, especially since I'm a total noob to this sort of thing and don't know how to solder or anything like that (though I think I could learn). Additionally, if I got high quality parts, how would it compare to the SFIV stick? I guess I wouldn't know how to compare sticks to begin with though.

Just curious. I must admit I'd be proud of myself for putting it together, and would probably show it off every chance I got.

And besides I like having challenging little projects to work on. :]

[quote name='Strell']So if you got a minute, how much would it cost (roughly) to get a fairly decent arcade stick set up like in your blog using the parts from this thing?

I've never owned arcade sticks before, but for some reason, I really kind of want to for SFIV. Granted the price of the official one sets off my CAGness. However if I'd only save, say, twenty bucks, it might not be worth it, especially since I'm a total noob to this sort of thing and don't know how to solder or anything like that (though I think I could learn). Additionally, if I got high quality parts, how would it compare to the SFIV stick? I guess I wouldn't know how to compare sticks to begin with though.

Just curious. I must admit I'd be proud of myself for putting it together, and would probably show it off every chance I got.

And besides I like having challenging little projects to work on. :][/quote]

Stick/buttons should run $50-60 so with the pcb from this thread we'll call it $70. From there it really depends on what direction you want to go with the box, if you're building your own and have tools you can probably get away with $20-30. If you go the premade route, over at srk for instance, you're probably looking at around 60-90 for the box.

[quote name='brighenne']Stick/buttons should run $50-60 so with the pcb from this thread we'll call it $70. From there it really depends on what direction you want to go with the box, if you're building your own and have tools you can probably get away with $20-30. If you go the premade route, over at srk for instance, you're probably looking at around 60-90 for the box.[/QUOTE]

Would definitely have to buy a premade box - don't have the tools or knowhow to fabricate something myself (that's something a few years down the road, when I have the room to house such things and the time to learn how to use 'em).

So let's say it's 100 if I got this thing, ordered the parts, and ordered a box, aye?

Do I have to solder things as well? How well would this stack up against the SFIV? Finally, would it only be six buttons on the top, and is that a bad thing? I.e., what do the two black buttons on the SFIV stick do.

/sorry if I sound like a total noob, but me IS one....though if MNL can figure it out, I imagine anybody could, and I definitely appreciate all the help and information I'm getting, so thanks for the replies anyone and everyone

[quote name='minmao'] Madcatz have very poor quality control - that is the only reason I did not order a SF IV stick.[/quote]

Well then it looks like you are going to be missing out my friend. The SF IV sticks are arcade quality sticks. NOT the MADCATS of old. From every review I read it is simply amazing stick. Hence why I preordered 2 (One from Barnes and Nobles which most likely not go through)

[quote name='Strell']Would definitely have to buy a premade box - don't have the tools or knowhow to fabricate something myself (that's something a few years down the road, when I have the room to house such things and the time to learn how to use 'em).

So let's say it's 100 if I got this thing, ordered the parts, and ordered a box, aye?

Do I have to solder things as well? How well would this stack up against the SFIV? Finally, would it only be six buttons on the top, and is that a bad thing? I.e., what do the two black buttons on the SFIV stick do.

/sorry if I sound like a total noob, but me IS one....though if MNL can figure it out, I imagine anybody could, and I definitely appreciate all the help and information I'm getting, so thanks for the replies anyone and everyone[/QUOTE]

If you go the pre-made box way, it'll cost around the same as the SF4 TE stick ($150). The parts in the SF4 stick are the exact same as the ones in our blogs. Meaning the quality is equal. So it really comes down to if you want a personal unique stick or a common store bought one.

Six buttons is not a bad thing. Most fighting games only use six. The other has 8 because it can. Feel free to ask more questions.

I decided to go grab one tomorrow. All else fails I will be getting a free arcade game out of the deal since it comes with 3

bread's done
Back