Mafia 2 (PC) digital download from Amazon, activates on Steam! $12.50

fortunado

CAGiversary!
Feedback
121 (100%)
Here's a weird one for ya ... you can purchase the Mafia 2 digital download from Amazon video game download section for $12.50 here:

http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games-40465Mafia-II-Download/dp/B004774ISM/

... and then immediately after purchase, visit your purchased game section, show your retail key, hop onto Steam then activate the game on steam. I just tried it and the game activated flawlessly for me and is now downloading on Steam. The game is listed on Steam for $33.49 which nets you a $21.00 savings! :applause:

YMMV, not sure how long this will work or if this is permanent but it did work for me.

[quote name='meatwad3000']will wait on more replies to see if this is valid since i don't wanna use the amazon digital downloader.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is legit. It's in the Amazon 75% Digital Downloads thread. Works like a charm.

[quote name='meatwad3000']will wait on more replies to see if this is valid since i don't wanna use the amazon digital downloader.[/QUOTE]

you don't download anything from Amazon

Thanks for posting. That was a late add to the Amazon sale and I hadn't been checking that thread any more. It will probably end up being cheaper on Steam but maybe not this year.

[quote name='robpe36']I wouldn't even play this game for free.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with this game?

If I didn't like the recent GTA games much, but loved Saints Row 2, would this game be a good match?

Very welcome; it worked just fine for me. You do not have to get the Amazon downloader or anything. Immediately after purchase, just visit your purchased games page and you will be able to see your CD Key.

I got the game because I heard the story and character development were pretty good; though I heard the "open world" is pretty limited as to what you can do.

Worked for me. Downloading now.

Thanks OP!

[quote name='fusion0fangels']I'm wondering if it works for all the other Game Downloads that are 75% off on Amazon as well.[/QUOTE]

Well I assume the games have to have Steamworks for this to work.

[quote name='fusion0fangels']I'm wondering if it works for all the other Game Downloads that are 75% off on Amazon as well.[/QUOTE]

If what works? Only certain games bought this way activate through Steam, if that's what you mean. This is covered in the original Amazon sale thread.

OP fucking SCORES!!!

This is an awesome deal! I'm so glad I held off on buying this (loved the crap out of the demo...altering it with a hex-editor/mods), but I knew a deal would come this holiday season.

I don't expect this to hit this low of a price on Steam until this time next year. So...

Done...and done. Thanks again OP! :)

Been playing this for a few days already since this 75% off certain downloads deal began - yeah, it's really good.

Yes, Mafia 2 PC requires Steam PERIOD.
So, if you order it from Amazon, check your CD Key; register it on Steam; and you're good to go.

Has any one in Canada tried this and can confirm if it works? I heard it was locked to certain regions...

I would hold off for a few more days. I suspect based on 2Ks other games e.g. Bioshock 2, Borderlands, etc. that Mafia 2 will be between 10 and 15 dollars during the steam holiday sale. 2.50 savings is KoTOR or 5!!! PB Winterbottoms

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']I would hold off for a few more days. I suspect based on 2Ks other games e.g. Bioshock 2, Borderlands, etc. that Mafia 2 will be between 10 and 15 dollars during the steam holiday sale. 2.50 savings is KoTOR or 5!!! PB Winterbottoms[/QUOTE]

Mafia II on Steam is currently at 33% off ($33.49). Based on other games that were normally 33% off, like Dead Rising 2, they only received a maximum of 50% off when they were a daily deal. That would put it at $24.99. On the off-chance it goes on sale at 75% off, that would simply match Amazon at $12.50.

So there's absolutely no risk. In fact, if you want the game now, the only risk involved is waiting to see if Steam matches Amazon with 75% off...and I doubt they will. Not this year at least...they didn't match Amazon's ARMA II price.

Which is why I just jumped on it now while it's available on Amazon, as you can simply use the code to activate on Steam without ever D/L on Amazon.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Mafia II on Steam is currently at 33% off ($33.49). Based on other games that were normally 33% off, like Dead Rising 2, they only received a maximum of 50% off when they were a daily deal. That would put it at $24.99. On the off-chance it goes on sale at 75% off, that would simply match Amazon at $12.50.

So there's absolutely no risk. In fact, if you want the game now, the only risk involved is waiting to see if Steam matches Amazon with 75% off...and I doubt they will. Not this year at least...they didn't match Amazon's ARMA II price.

Which is why I just jumped on it now while it's available on Amazon, as you can simply use the code to activate on Steam without ever D/L on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

This. There's absolutely no downside to buying now. And it's questionable it'll even get a 50 percent sale this Christmas. 75 percent seems incredibly unlikely. Takes 30 seconds to purchase on amazon and copy in the code on Steam.

YIPEEEEPEEEEE! Thanks OP! I've been wanting this one for a while but was waiting for a price drop, at this price it's a fucking steal.

This game is great even. I used mouse and keyboard and had no problems, definitely pushed my GTX 460 Hawk to it's limits though.

I bought this Christmas morning, myself. I had seen it on there a day earlier, but I wanted to verify it could be activated on Steam and didn't need to be downloaded through Amazon (I remember hearing that F.E.A.R. 2 bought through GFWL was not activated on Steam, even though the retail copy of the game is (like Mafia II)).

And yeah, this is an amazing deal. The best Steam would be able to do is match Amazon's price so there's really no point in waiting. Besides, if you have Amazon credit it can be used to buy the game instead of real money. ;)

Glad it's working for everyone. I've been wanting this game on PC not 360 just because it looks so good... didn't want it to be sluggish when I played. Already 14% through.

You guys are starting to convince me to get it on PC instead of waiting for a cheap Gamefly copy (since it will have the PS3 DLC included) next year. Does it really look that much better?

Every time I try to order (3 different computers and internet connections) it says failed (problem with the site error message). Anyone else getting this? and if so...any way around it?

*EDIT* nvm. It was trying to use an old old old credit card that was saved (even tho Its not the default on the account). Problem solved and working!

[quote name='radioactivez0r']You guys are starting to convince me to get it on PC instead of waiting for a cheap Gamefly copy (since it will have the PS3 DLC included) next year. Does it really look that much better?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it looks considerably better than the PS3 version (if you have a PC that can run it well on high settings):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8-PyQXljO0

Also I heard that the exclusive PS3 DLC wasn't really anything to write home about. Nice to have, but not worth choosing an inferior version over (again, if your PC can run it well on higher settings).

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Mafia II on Steam is currently at 33% off ($33.49). Based on other games that were normally 33% off, like Dead Rising 2, they only received a maximum of 50% off when they were a daily deal. That would put it at $24.99. On the off-chance it goes on sale at 75% off, that would simply match Amazon at $12.50.

Which is why I just jumped on it now while it's available on Amazon, as you can simply use the code to activate on Steam without ever D/L on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Same things I was thinking--thanks for putting this into words for me.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']You guys are starting to convince me to get it on PC instead of waiting for a cheap Gamefly copy (since it will have the PS3 DLC included) next year. Does it really look that much better?[/QUOTE]

Along with Starcraft 2 it's one of two high profile PC games that were done right on PC in 2010.

It's one of the few games these days you should optimally get on PC no matter what.

Pretty much everything looks better on PC IMHO. You get the full 60fps and the highest detail, plus AA :) and you can still use a 360 controller if you're into that.

[quote name='fortunado']Pretty much everything looks better on PC IMHO. You get the full 60fps and the highest detail, plus AA :) and you can still use a 360 controller if you're into that.[/QUOTE]

Everything should look better if they spend enough time on the port.

This game felt more like 'Driver' 2 than 'Mafia' 2. Only if they didn't require you to drive so much around and more of fun stuffs, I would have loved it even more.

But it's definitely worth $12.50.

Even though I own and played it through on the 360 I'm kind of tempted to pick this up. I am thinking about getting a new PC and playing through the game with the PhysX enhancements might be fun.

Will probably hold off though as I have other games I want to play/buy. For someone who has a good PC and hasn't played the game though, I highly recommend it. Just understand that it is not a free-roamer like GTA, and just enjoy the story for what it is. It was a fantastic game and one of my favorites for 2010.

Ruahrc

[quote name='fortunado']Pretty much everything looks better on PC IMHO. You get the full 60fps and the highest detail, plus AA :) and you can still use a 360 controller if you're into that.[/QUOTE]

A lot of games look a very tiny bit better, but it's usually not worse the hassle of playing on PC.

Mafia 2 is one of the few games that is actually worth playing on PC in a real way. That's the point.

Take Battlefield Bad Company 2. On my computer it runs worse than on my 360, and the visuals aren't better at all even maxed out.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit looks worse on PC than on 360 or PS3 because of the better AA support on consoles.

Mafia 2 looks better on PC than consoles in virtually every way and runs better too.

It's up to the makers of the games but titles like Mafia 2 are a rarity. If you have a good PC there's really no reason to get it on consoles.

I assume this only works with Mafia 2 or with any game that can be linked to steam with a CD Key? Also I guess gamestop doesn't give you the CD key only lets you download through them? I have some old giftcards I need to burn and I'd rather have the games on steam.

I'm tempted to buy this but I'm expecting a "complete" pack to release with all the DLC and I'm compelled to just wait for that to go on sale. What to do...

[quote name='Jigen']
Take Battlefield Bad Company 2. On my computer it runs worse than on my 360, and the visuals aren't better at all even maxed out.
[/QUOTE]

Ummm, bull.

[quote name='Jigen']A lot of games look a very tiny bit better, but it's usually not worse the hassle of playing on PC.

Mafia 2 is one of the few games that is actually worth playing on PC in a real way. That's the point.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit looks worse on PC than on 360 or PS3 because of the better AA support on consoles.

Mafia 2 looks better on PC than consoles in virtually every way and runs better too.

It's up to the makers of the games but titles like Mafia 2 are a rarity. If you have a good PC there's really no reason to get it on consoles.[/QUOTE]

Oh man...where to start?

Since you haven't posted your PC specs, I can only assume your distaste for PC versions of these games are due to your PC having old hardware or being poorly optimized. Granted, some developers can half-ass a PC port...but BF:BC2 is most definitely not one of them.

BF:BC2 looks utterly amazing running on DX11...and while my PS3 version looks great, it does not compare to the game on my PC.

But to stay on-topic...I bought Mafia II on Amazon for $12.50 and activated it on Steam. Been playing since yesterday. 11 hours in and I'm just starting Chapter 9 (there are 15 total). Some people blaze through the game. I've been a fan of the first Mafia, so I tend to take my time in the game, absorbing the world, etc.

This has been one of my best purchases of the year. The gameplay is great, the game looks outstanding (maxed out, but no PhysX due to having an ATI 5770 1 GB) and runs butter smooth. But it's the story and development of the characters that keeps you glued. I'm also a fan of classic Rock N Roll from the 50's...and the licensed music just makes the experience that much better. Everything from Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Ritchie Valens, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc. Pure AWESOME!!! :D

If you can run this game on your PC, and it is a well optimized game, you can't go wrong for $12.50.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Oh man...where to start?
But to stay on-topic...I bought Mafia II on Amazon for $12.50 and activated it on Steam. Been playing since yesterday. 11 hours in and I'm just starting Chapter 9 (there are 15 total). Some people blaze through the game. I've been a fan of the first Mafia, so I tend to take my time in the game, absorbing the world, etc.

This has been one of my best purchases of the year. The gameplay is great, the game looks outstanding (maxed out, but no PhysX due to having an ATI 5770 1 GB) and runs butter smooth. But it's the story and development of the characters that keeps you glued. I'm also a fan of classic Rock N Roll from the 50's...and the licensed music just makes the experience that much better. Everything from Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Ritchie Valens, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc. Pure AWESOME!!! :D

If you can run this game on your PC, and it is a well optimized game, you can't go wrong for $12.50.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, for the most part.

Mafia 2 PC is really good as is, with what's there....

...But, I can't but help this feeling that this huge world is just TOO empty for its own good.
Where's a decent amount of side quests?
Or where's a separate Free Ride Mode even (a la Mafia 1)?

bread's done
Back