Mafia 2 (PC) digital download from Amazon, activates on Steam! $12.50

fortunado

CAGiversary!
Feedback
121 (100%)
Here's a weird one for ya ... you can purchase the Mafia 2 digital download from Amazon video game download section for $12.50 here:

http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games-40465Mafia-II-Download/dp/B004774ISM/

... and then immediately after purchase, visit your purchased game section, show your retail key, hop onto Steam then activate the game on steam. I just tried it and the game activated flawlessly for me and is now downloading on Steam. The game is listed on Steam for $33.49 which nets you a $21.00 savings! :applause:

YMMV, not sure how long this will work or if this is permanent but it did work for me.

I just got a new M17x and have been downloading a ton of stuff on Steam. Quick question for you guys,

What is the benefit of downloading a game off of steam versus the other download sites like in this case with Amazon, or Direct2Drive, Gamestop, etc.?

And what is up with Gamespy? Is that just a multiplayer site? I still don't understand the system yet, as I bought actual retail copies of games and some like Crysis want you to use Gamespy, others like Black Ops gpbthrough Steam.

Thx in advance for info, I can't wait to download Mafia 2, I played a little of it through OnLive, and it's dope.

Can't believe I almost never played this game, so far it's be awesome. On top of the awesome gameplay, this game is also fucking sexy (I'm not taking about the Playboy boobies lol). O_O I have a GTX 260 with an old GT 9500 for the physX and it's been running strong at a lil bit over 30fps except for the demo level with all the fire and tings in the warehouse.

Thanks again for bringing the sale to my attention OP, me so happy :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='avwjase']Ummm, bull.[/QUOTE]

The difference you see is in your head. The textures, models, LOD, particles... all are exactly the same across the platforms. I compared both versions in many places side by side (taking screenshots of both and flipping back and forth even!).

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Oh man...where to start?

Since you haven't posted your PC specs, I can only assume your distaste for PC versions of these games are due to your PC having old hardware or being poorly optimized. Granted, some developers can half-ass a PC port...but BF:BC2 is most definitely not one of them.

BF:BC2 looks utterly amazing running on DX11...and while my PS3 version looks great, it does not compare to the game on my PC. [/QUOTE]

Quite to the contrary, it is your excessive investment in PC gaming that has deluded you into thinking the PC version is spectacular. BFBC2 is a horribly optimized port. It's not utterly broken like Saint's Row 2, but it is extremely poorly coded for how it should run.

I just think it's a shame I have to defend my extremely well informed opinion because others who haven't done the lengthy comparisons I have aren't willing to accept what I say.

I can't ask you to take my word for it, but it is extremely frustrating that so few see things as they really are.

The entire subject shouldn't have been brought up in this thread, but fanboys are everywhere and lack self control. Let this be an end to this off topic debate.

I picked up Mafia 2 for 360 in a Craigslist trade today; I'm about through it on PC but I figured I'd happily play through it again on 360 for the cheevos. I'll just be sad that I can't do mouse aiming in the gunfights.

Also, just finished 4 hours of BFBC2 on my 360 (friend bought it for me today). I prefer it on PC so much more just for the clarity and the mouse/kb thing of course.

[quote name='Jigen']The difference you see is in your head. The textures, models, LOD, particles... all are exactly the same across the platforms. I compared both versions in many places side by side (taking screenshots of both and flipping back and forth even!).

Quite to the contrary, it is your excessive investment in PC gaming that has deluded you into thinking the PC version is spectacular. BFBC2 is a horribly optimized port. It's not utterly broken like Saint's Row 2, but it is extremely poorly coded for how it should run.

I just think it's a shame I have to defend my extremely well informed opinion because others who haven't done the lengthy comparisons I have aren't willing to accept what I say.

I can't ask you to take my word for it, but it is extremely frustrating that so few see things as they really are.

The entire subject shouldn't have been brought up in this thread, but fanboys are everywhere and lack self control. Let this be an end to this off topic debate.[/QUOTE]

Excessive investment? Now you know how much I pay for my hardware, which, in turn, have given me delusions of grandeur. Riiiiiight...

Extremely well informed opinion....riiiiiiight...

For one, the Xbox 360 utilizes a customized API. You could say it is technically comparable to DX9.0c on a PC...with a few extra features like tessellation and memexport, which could be used for things like heightmaps, etc.

Now while the end results are great...hell, even fantastic...it will not compare (to those with a trained eye) to a game that utilizes the features of DX11 on PC. I won't even bother getting more technically into it...but anyone playing both side-by-side (360 vs PC using DX11) will definitely notice the difference. Anyone saying otherwise (like you) either do not know what they are saying or are simply lying for trolling purposes.

And as for saying BFBC2 on PC is highly unoptimized is complete nonsense. It can run on DX9, DX10, and DX11 machines. And runs very well. Were there bugs? Sure. But DICE has fixed virtually all of them. Not saying there were not some performance issues, like lag occurring in MP, but that was a netcode issue. But most of the time performance issues (as they are found in SP games) are due to user error to some, varying degree.

All PC games will encounter some users having some kind of performance issue...like the SLI/Crossfire issues with BFBC2. But that was more of a manufacturer issue, which AMD/ATI and Nvidia corrected with driver releases.

See what I'm doing? I'm using facts to back up my statement...so take notes.

If you want to bring up a game that WAS utterly broken on release date and resembled more a Beta than a Gold Master release, bring up Call of Duty: Black Ops. That game had more performance issues than any game released in recent memory. But at least Treyarch is making the effort and ironing them out as fast as they can. BTW, Black Ops also looks more superior on my PC than on my PS3 as well. :)

Back on-topic...loving Mafia 2. Thanks again fortunado for the heads-up on this deal!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen ps3/360/pc versions of both bc2 and mafia 2 and while the 360/ps3 looks great, it does not hold a candle to pc version in either dx 9/10/11 modes. PC are capable better draw distance, better textures, higher res., etc. I'll stop there as I dont want to really get into that argument.

Im still debating on actually buying mafia 2...something tells me that I will get it though. Thanks TC

bread's done
Back