Mafia II New PS3/Xbox 360 $19.99 FS at Buy.com

Apparently they cut out so much DLC that if you buy the game at this price and still want the whole game, it'll cost you probably $60+ (assuming they release it all).

Hell, they cut out so much theres a wiki about it.

http://mafia2removedfeatures.wikia.com/wiki/Real_Mafia_2_Wiki

Also, if you buy the game, the PS3 dlc won't be exclusive forever (from a list of steam application id's)

50130 Mafia II
50140 Mafia II - Made Man DLC
50141 Mafia II - Renegade DLC
50142 Mafia II - Vegas DLC
50143 Mafia II - Greaser DLC
50144 Mafia II - War Hero DLC
50145 Mafia II - Jimmy's Vendetta DLC
50146 Mafia II - The Betrayal of Jimmy DLC (this is the ps3 exclusive one)
50147 Mafia II - Joe's Adventures DLC
50148 TEAM1 DLC #9
50149 TEAM1 DLC #10

So the morale is just wait for the GOTY edition of this game(waiting for it to fall to around $30) if you want all DLC included? I don't know if this game sold well enough to have a GOTY edition though. LOL.

[quote name='Gboon']50140 Mafia II - Made Man DLC
50141 Mafia II - Renegade DLC
50142 Mafia II - Vegas DLC
50143 Mafia II - Greaser DLC
50144 Mafia II - War Hero DLC
[/QUOTE]

These are just the pre-order clothes and vehicle DLC from various retailers. They're not really important omissions from the game.

Nice price, but I was hoping to find the CE for $30 or less. I'll just wait it out.

3rdbass is right. What are the chances this even gets a GOTY release. Grabbing the DLC on sale might be better. I'd pay $20 for a full game. 10 bucks for this.

The game has plenty of entertainment as-is for $20. Great atmosphere, fantastic period soundtrack, good story -- the DLC isn't essential and is mostly just a group of routine missions that would've fattened up the core game's length. The principal story is all there in the released game and you get a solid 10-hours plus out of it. Would definitely recommend it at this price, I liked it nearly as much as anything I played last year, but then again I have a thing for Goodfellas and the mob lol.

Man some of you guys just like to complain. Want some cheese with that whine? I hope you are all under the age of 20 so you wouldnt know that games used to last less han 5 hours from start to finish. As Phantomfriar just said, this game already has a 10 hour story plus collectibles. No reason to not buy the game becuase it is "missing" something. The DLC is ADDED content. $20 seems like a good deal for this game if you like mob or mafia type movies and games.

Want to play Mafia II? Let me sum it up/spoil for you and save you some money.

"Hey, Vito! Welcome back!"
"Oh, man. Dad's racked up a lot of debt.."
"Here's the money, pay off his debt"
ooh a playboy
"Vito! Shoot this guy!"
"Vito, drive me here!"
"Vito, shoot this guy!"
"Vito, I've had too much to drink, drive me here."
ooh a playboy
"Vito, take the wheel."
"Vito, drive here."
"Vito, I'm tired, take the wheel."
"Vito, you drive."
ooh a playboy
"VITO!! GET US OUT OF HERE!!"
"Vito! Drive to the hill and help me bury this body!"
"Vito, drive me back to the apartment."
ooh a playboy
"Vito! There's a rat!"
"Vito! They killed him in the middle of the park!"
"Vito! Step on it!"
"Vito! VIIIIIIIITO!"

and, end spoilers.. hold on to your hats!
Sorry kid, Joe wasn't part of our deal.

*pan up to wide city shot, fade out, roll credits*

Congratulations. You've just experienced Mafia II.

I can't believe I was so excited for this game for.. what, two years? Maybe three? It ended up being pretty much 70% driving, 30% on foot missions. There's no free roam (You have to do any free roaming by ignoring the mission goals), the cops have pretty nonexistant AI and forget about you the second you turn a corner.. but the music in it is fantastic.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Nice price, but I was hoping to find the CE for $30 or less. I'll just wait it out.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Want that more for my CE collection than to actually play the game. heh

[quote name='BingoBrown']These are just the pre-order clothes and vehicle DLC from various retailers. They're not really important omissions from the game.

Nice price, but I was hoping to find the CE for $30 or less. I'll just wait it out.[/QUOTE]
I left up the non-ps3 exclusive ones to show that they likely submitted them all at the same time, given the numbers being consecutive .

[quote name='scott_matthews']Ditto. Want that more for my CE collection than to actually play the game. heh[/QUOTE]
The collectors edition dropped to $40 at Best Buy stores (if you can find them). I bought mine yesterday.

Considering my heritage, I suppose the $20 purchase is slightly more excusable to some, and inexcusable to my family. "You tinks twenty bucks is 'respect'?? FUG YOU."

(Thanks, OP.)

This game sucks. I bought the PC version for $12.50 and still feel ripped. There is less content than I've ever seen in a GTA clone. It took under 10 hours to beat, and I'd estimate that half of that time was spent on retries because the game is so unbalanced. I don't know about the console versions, but on the PC on normal difficulty the main character dies from less damage than I've ever seen in any FPS or GTA style game. Single shotgun blast: dead. One second of machine gun fire: dead. Think you're safe in cover behind a stone structure but didn't take the crappy hitboxes into account: dead. Combine all the instakills with the poorly placed checkpoints that will often have you driving all the way across town when you die, or redoing 10 minutes of a shooter section, and you'll spend an inordinate amount of time on retries. Maybe the PC version was balanced for mouse aiming (I was using the 360 controller), but it really just seems like the game was too short so they decided to string it out.

The only nice thing I can say about this game is that stuff blows up really nicely. Shooting up wood will result in literally thousands of little splinters on the ground. But you won't get that on the consoles. It takes a PC with at least two GTX 480s or better to max this game at 1920x1200 with the physx on. The story was also really bad. Rather than becoming the character like you do in a GTA game, it feels like you only see small selected snippets of Vito's life.

Oh, and before I forget, melee combat is a joke. There is a dodge button that you can hold down for an unlimited amount of time and just wait until someone throws a punch. There is no way to be hit while you hold that button...you'd think they'd put in grapples or something to balance it. As-is, it's like playing rock-paper-scissors with no rocks.

And this doesn't even get to the DLC travesty. I hadn't read much about the game before I bought it, but now all of you are fully informed.

Man, I was holding off on biting at $29.99 at BB all this week, and now Amazon has to go a price match it at $19.99? Throw it on the backlog pile, I suppose. :p

Btw, thanks for the post OP, and thanks to whomever notified Amazon about it.

[quote name='Scorch']Want to play Mafia II? Let me sum it up/spoil for you and save you some money.

I can't believe I was so excited for this game for.. what, two years? Maybe three? It ended up being pretty much 70% driving, 30% on foot missions. There's no free roam (You have to do any free roaming by ignoring the mission goals), the cops have pretty nonexistant AI and forget about you the second you turn a corner.. but the music in it is fantastic.[/QUOTE]

You should probably clarify that it is slow, casual driving and listening to conversations. I would say about 3/4 of the driving you do in that game is that way.

I'd say its still worth playing at this price.

[quote name='diddy310']You should probably clarify that it is slow, casual driving and listening to conversations. I would say about 3/4 of the driving you do in that game is that way.[/QUOTE]

In other words, no fun at all. It's a lot easier to put mission objectives on the opposite side of the city to create unnecessary driving and hire some voice actors than it is to create fun and engaging gameplay. There are NO side missions/activities in this game.

So happy I Gamefly'd this instead of buying.

Hell, let me go smash my face in with a hammer and light myself on fire. It will be just as entertaining as driving around in Mafia 2.

[quote name='Trojann']Amazon raised the price again?? it says $20 and when I click it is $37 wtf[/QUOTE]

Amazon matched Buy.com's price. Somebody posted earlier that Buy.com raised their price, so maybe that's why Amazon raised their price. It looks like Buy.com still has it for $19.99 for 360, though, so maybe if you notify Amazon they'll match it again.

Anyway, thanks to those that commented about the game here. I decided that for my $20 right now, Just Cause 2 > Mafia II.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the price I've been waiting for so I ordered it through Amazon while they were still price matching 19.99.

I'll probably end up getting this at a used Gamefly sale. Most likely it'll still include the PS3 DLC. Anybody know if the DLC expires or not?

bread's done
Back