MAG Discussion Thread

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/04/22/mag-free-dlc-fast-attack-pack-on-april-29/
New free DLC is coming with some new sniper rifles and light armor:
Mark April 29 on your calendars now, because it’s the day you’re going to see our next 100% Free MAG DLC add-on! Known as the “Fast Attack” Gear Pack, our latest downloadable extra will likely cause marksmen to swoon.

Why? Two big reasons. First, we’re adding three brand new Special Edition Sniper Rifles (Raven’s HM 90 SE, SVER’s SASR M, and Valor’s MK 14 Mod 1 EBR) that include a number of performance adjustments and visual variations to our already-popular long-range weapons. Second, you can expect to get your hands on a collection of new armor types! All three factions can now choose to equip Improved Light Armor in their loadouts for the bargain price of just 400 in-game credits.

Raven "Fast Attack" Gear Pack
4540625843_038505f5fa.jpg

Oh, and did we mention that the “Fast Attack” Gear Pack is free? Yes, we did, but we’re saying it again anyway. Look for it to appear in the PlayStation Store the afternoon of April 29, alongside all other scheduled PSN updates.

For more MAG-related news and updates, be sure to visit the Official MAG Blog or check out our Official Zipper Interactive Twitter and Facebook pages.

[quote name='dmunkee']Awesome, can't wait to stack that with my veteran bonus this time around.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pretty amazing, if you also play directives you get another 10% extra, it really really stacks up :D

Right now I'm in the middle of my SVER tour, so with some luck I'll get enough play time to end it and move on to Raven

Well i achieved my goal of reaching level 50 in fact i made it to 51, so i moved up 19 levels over the weekend. I wish i had had some more time to play so i could've reached 60.

Still waiting on a decent clan though. esp. after playing this weekend. I was on way more shitty teams than i was good ones. Maybe 15% that actually had decent communication.

[quote name='Layd Dly']Well i achieved my goal of reaching level 50 in fact i made it to 51, so i moved up 19 levels over the weekend. I wish i had had some more time to play so i could've reached 60.

Still waiting on a decent clan though. esp. after playing this weekend. I was on way more shitty teams than i was good ones. Maybe 15% that actually had decent communication.[/QUOTE]

I had the same objective as you, but only made it up to 42 (from 30), my gaming time was drastically reduced that weekend :( But at least on Lv 40 I can equip most of the cool toys needed to make the remaining 20 levels more easily attainable

Zipline (Zipper's Podcast) hinted at some big things coming out this summer. Go to MAG or SOCOM website to dl the podcast.

For everyone looking for a good clan, I'd like to really get more involved with the clan on here. It will be a few more weeks though with the semester ending and getting some time with my new games in. During the summer though I want to dedicate a lot of time to MAG.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']For everyone looking for a good clan, I'd like to really get more involved with the clan on here. It will be a few more weeks though with the semester ending and getting some time with my new games in. During the summer though I want to dedicate a lot of time to MAG.[/QUOTE]

I am looking for a good clan, I am level 51 Raven, but once i Vet i am moving onto SVER.

[quote name='Layd Dly']I am looking for a good clan, I am level 51 Raven, but once i Vet i am moving onto SVER.[/QUOTE]

Whether its SVER or not, I think all the active CAG players should try to find some consensus on what group to join to help us have a better clan. I'm going to be with Valor for awhile as my level is low, but I'm willing to change after that.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Whether its SVER or not, I think all the active CAG players should try to find some consensus on what group to join to help us have a better clan. I'm going to be with Valor for awhile as my level is low, but I'm willing to change after that.[/QUOTE]

Megiddo created these Google doc spreadsheets below, but no one has really filled them in since they aren't in the OP. I think they would be a great help to get some clans going. I am honestly really surprised this thread is so dead. I still love playing this game. Id much rather play this and Bad Company 2 over MW2, Socom, and Warhawk.

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']I'll make one, and than everyone could edit the spreadsheet so that it is more updated. One spreadsheet via google docs, three sections: Valor, Raven, Sever.

Finished! I would like to thank option.iv for allowing me to copy his format for his google docs in his thread. CAG PS3 Fighting Matchmaking Thread

Made it much easier, and extremely convenient. I made 3 different spreadsheats, one for Raven, Valor, and S.V.E.R. Just edit it, and put your info!

Raven

S.V.E.R.

Valor[/QUOTE]

Ugh, taking a break from this game was a bad idea. I hopped on to a couple of games last night and was simply terrible. My best was just managing a 1:1 k/d ratio in my last game. My first game was a brutal 3-26.

[quote name='rpnguyen']do lots of people still play this game? thinking about purchasing[/QUOTE]

There're more than enough people to keep playing without having to wait too much. The recent price drop/sale should bring more players on the game, which should speed up matchmaking.

There will be major DLC coming soon so it's a good time to join on in the fun!

Go buy it. Now.

Pretty please..? This is a great game and deserves a lot more players

[quote name='Saint Noir']Just got this myself. Will start it up soon![/QUOTE]

Good luck!

Remember to follow the tutorial for some extra experience, play Suppression for your first couple of levels (Lv 5 or so). Purchase the Medical kit and resuscitation skills as soon as possible, that will help you increase your level faster

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Picked it up today also for the 24.99 price. Can't wait to get it!! So which is the best faction to pick or does it really not matter??[/QUOTE]

There is a huge difference between factions, mostly on map configuration, SVER seems to be the most new player friendly, since they tend to play better as a team (healing, rezzing, following instructions).

Popular wisdowm seems to be:
SVER easy mode
VALOR normal mode
RAVEN Hard (and frustrating) mode

My suggestion, play them all for the first 5 to 10 levels and then decide for one. Or just take the risk and wait until you hit lv 60 to veteran to a different faction

Valor sucks just as much as Raven! Raven was full of team killers but Valor has itchy trigger fingers so I'm always getting shot in the back!

I'm a 2x vet so I gotta finish Valor for my trophies. I just left a couple friends behind in Raven soI could use a decent Valor clan to get me through this, my psn is Dude-Ranch-

Not sure what the spreadsheat thing is, but it's blocked here at work and all I have at home is my PS3. If anyone wants to send me an invite please do.

[quote name='erequena']There is a huge difference between factions, mostly on map configuration, SVER seems to be the most new player friendly, since they tend to play better as a team (healing, rezzing, following instructions).

Popular wisdowm seems to be:
SVER easy mode
VALOR normal mode
RAVEN Hard (and frustrating) mode

My suggestion, play them all for the first 5 to 10 levels and then decide for one. Or just take the risk and wait until you hit lv 60 to veteran to a different faction[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that advice. I just got it from gamestop too and was just about to ask that same question..

[quote name='carnefice']Thanks for that advice. I just got it from gamestop too and was just about to ask that same question..[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the game (I'm not an expert or anything, but with 70+ hours under my belt I know a thing or two :))

Im level 51 Raven, and Ive enjoyed my time on Raven, Ive never been TK'ed. But i also don't snipe and I Rez/Heal People. Hoping to finish soon so i can move onto another PMC thought just for something different.

[quote name='Layd Dly']Im level 51 Raven, and Ive enjoyed my time on Raven, Ive never been TK'ed. But i also don't snipe and I Rez/Heal People. Hoping to finish soon so i can move onto another PMC thought just for something different.[/QUOTE]

I found that every few matches on Raven there'd be someone shooting/stabbing us in the back right from the spawn. I just don't understand the concept of killing your own teammates....are they supposed to be spies working for the other team??

I did come across one team killer on Valor stabbing me while I was trying to protect the entrance by the supply crates, but for the most part my kill/death ratio is going down mostly due to accidental friendly fire, be it a machine gun to the back of the head or a poorly placed grenade, its happening A LOT more than my previous 100+ hours of gameplay.

Are there any SVER clans around that are CAG members? I'm looking for some folks that play still. My last clan never really got together.

My PSN is I_defenestrate.

I picked this game up from a Hollywood Video that was closing by me for cheaper than MSRP and I have to say that it certainly reminds me of Warhawk ALOT. People play this 24/7 to the point of being insanely good and you get killed in half a second.

The only fun thing I found you can do is slash your own teammates, so I was doing that for the lulz the one night and kept getting booted from games before they would even start.:lol:

But I wanna give this game another chance before trying to dump it on a local shop(or someone in the trade forum), so if anyone else is on team Valor and wouldn't mind playing with a total noob who has crappy shooting skills, invite me.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I picked this game up from a Hollywood Video that was closing by me for cheaper than MSRP and I have to say that it certainly reminds me of Warhawk ALOT. People play this 24/7 to the point of being insanely good and you get killed in half a second.

The only fun thing I found you can do is slash your own teammates, so I was doing that for the lulz the one night and kept getting booted from games before they would even start.:lol:

But I wanna give this game another chance before trying to dump it on a local shop(or someone in the trade forum), so if anyone else is on team Valor and wouldn't mind playing with a total noob who has crappy shooting skills, invite me.;)[/QUOTE]

well, you always favor those sandbox games where you can do your own thing. so just get ready for RDR.

[quote name='enufs8d']well, you always favor those sandbox games where you can do your own thing. so just get ready for RDR.[/QUOTE]
That I do and that I shall.;) I just wish I could get out of this copy I bought for close to what I paid.:cry:

IATCG - and i wouldnt mind inviting you into a game. and im on valor. im pretty good. hah. im veteran and level 40 out 60 on valor. i have 60-70% of the trophies, considering theyre a pain in ass to get. the problem is that i dont see myself playing until another double xp weekend.

mag is either extremely frustrating or extremely rewarding. the game doesnt open up you reach level 10 or something where you're an officer. a squad leader gets to boss your squad around by setting frago or fragmentation orders. theyre mini-objectives. people can still do their own shit. hell, most do. but the smart ones head for the fragos marked on their minimaps because you get double xp in those areas. as an officer, you can call in air strikes and etc. Or you call request for reinforcements from other squads or the Platoon leader. Then theres officer chats where you can chat with officers only to coordinate strategy. Most don't.

The game is rewarding if you play with a dedicated group. my best faction was my first one with 4-5 cag guys in sver. there were many times we just kicked ass. then there were better times when it was down to one or two of us to fend off multiple squads or when our AAA (antiaircraft gun) is down, we had to push back tthe enemy troops parachuting in wave after wave until the AAA gets repaired. incredibly intense and rewarding.

Incredibly frustrating when you're playing with randoms. no mics. no communication. no fucking changes on fragos!!! eg: take A (but you need to realize that you take the bunkers 1st, and anything in between to get to A). you really can't do much in this game by yourself. the objectives are meant to be taken by a group. you need to stick together b/c once someone goes down, one of your teammates should revive you. and you revive your teammates.

tip to everyone - pick machine gun + med/heavy armor hybrid + rez kit.
#1 priority is the rez kit or the ability to resuscitate your downed teammates. you get what 50 xp pts for revive vs 10 pts for kill, do the math. rez will help you level up faster; hence, you have access to the improved weapon abilities.

IATCG - try the machine gun. sometimes if youre near enough, you can just mow them down by run and gun. in MAG, sometimes (or a lot of the times) it just comes down to who has more bullets in their clip. 60-100 bullets vs 25?

alternate strategy #2 - play a medic
sit in the back. wait for your teammates to die. most likely theyre going to die because their idiots and dont want to play as a squad. revive them. run away and hide near the objective b/c you'll get double xp for everything including revives. rinse and repeat. in most games, the highest scoring pepole are medics.

[quote name='enufs8d']

The game is rewarding if you play with a dedicated group. my best faction was my first one with 4-5 cag guys in sver. there were many times we just kicked ass. then there were better times when it was down to one or two of us to fend off multiple squads or when our AAA (antiaircraft gun) is down, we had to push back tthe enemy troops parachuting in wave after wave until the AAA gets repaired. incredibly intense and rewarding.

[/QUOTE]

Which is why I have less than 5 losses out of more than 100 wins. Play with the right team, then you'll feel good and happy about it. Play with the wrong team and it just an up hill battle just to survive.

Sadly we all got bored and moved on.

Thanks for the advice, enufs8d. I'll have to try it again one of these nights my one friend is playing it again. They gave up on it after I guess they patched the hell out of the game or so they told me.

They were playing for around 5-6 hours the one night. I could barely stand 5-6 minutes.:lol:

But I'll definitely have to join one of these nights, though like you said I'll probably be playing RDR in a few days so it may be a while before I get back to MAG.:cry:

[quote name='erequena']You're welcome, feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the game (I'm not an expert or anything, but with 70+ hours under my belt I know a thing or two :))[/QUOTE]

Will do. 70+ Hours is plenty enough for me to believe what anyone has to say about the game.

My gamestop copy came in the mail today and I got about an hour or two of playtime, and Ive got to say that so far I can see that the teamwork really makes the game, and to me, that makes the game much better(If you are in a good team that is)

Buddy of mine sent this to me for free yesterday, so I'm completely new to the game. Can't wait to see what this one is all about. He couldn't stand it, but he's more of a PC kind of guy.

I played last night. I like it. I couldn't find a 128 player match how ever. I actually did pick Valor cause of the M4A1, I might delete and go Sver if it's much easier

If there are any clans looking for new players let me know I just started a valor player only lvl 10 I have no problem switching sides to find a good clan...I do have a mic also

If anyone wants my copy before I go dump it at the local game shop, let me know. This is otherwise gonna be gone today.

I really should've grabbed Dante's Inferno from that closing HWV I picked this up at.

Hi everyone,

Just picked up MAG (I know I'm a little late to the party)....

Looking for a Raven Clan to join that will help out a new player.

Thanks.

[quote name='morinphen']Hi everyone,
Just picked up MAG (I know I'm a little late to the party)....
Looking for a Raven Clan to join that will help out a new player.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Welcome dude. I'll probably see you on Raven in a few weeks (still on SVER, Lv 50 now)

On other news, incoming patch on Tuesday and it's a BIG one

Our latest MAG update is undoubtedly the most comprehensive yet. As we mentioned last week, MAG v1.06 is packed with updates and upgrades that our dedicated community has been waiting for. Expanded Medical Kit functionality, better “team kill” prevention, improved vehicle physics, weapon updates and credit adjustments, altered medal and ribbon requirements, and additional gun ports for our APCs are just a few of the several new additions that players can expect alongside a number of needed bug fixes. But reading about it isn’t enough — you’ll just have to download it to see how much it has improved the game for yourself.
MAG v.1.06 will be available starting Tuesday, June 8 at 1am Pacific/ 4am Eastern/ 8am GMT. You can check the list below for the total catalog of items included with the patch. For the complete history of MAG fixes and patches, don’t forget to visit our official patch notes page at http://blog.mag.com/blog/patch-notes/.
Patch v1.06
Available June 8, 2010 | 40MB (TPPS), 99MB (DLS)
Gameplay

• Player knife attacks no longer deal damage to members of own PMC
  • Headshot damage bonuses no longer apply to friendly fire
  • Changed rewards for the resuscitation of an incapacitated ally to 5XP for partial health revive, and 10XP for full heath revive
  • Added functionality to Medical Kit so that players can now heal themselves with L1 in addition to using R1 to heal or revive a teammate
  • Added three gun ports to APCs of all factions
  • All vehicle handling has been improved and been given more realistic physics
  • Slowed down the rate of fire for the APC’s primary gun, but increased bullet damage
  • Primary APC gun can now damage enemy APCs
  • Shadow War contract turnover rate shortened by 75%
Weapons

• Adjusted damage for the AM50, Rollins LRRS, and AGVK sniper rifles vs. vehicles and emplaced turrets
  • Increased rate of fire for all pistols (Raven’s F57, SVER’s IZ-443, and Valor’s M9)
  • Improved close-range effectiveness and decreased long-range effectiveness for all Pistols, Machine Pistols, SMGs and Shotguns
  • Made all LMG foregrips less effective at stabilizing fire
  • Made improved stability skills less effective at stabilizing fire for machine guns
  • Added “Hit” indicator to rocket launcher reticules
  • Credit cost for Pistols has been changed from 100c to 0c
  • Credit cost for Machine Pistols has been changed from 300c to 200c
  • Credit cost for SMGs has been changed from 400c to 300c
  • Credit cost for Shotguns has been changed from 600c to 400c
  • Credit cost for Improved Rocket Launchers has been changed from 1000c to 800c
  • Credit cost for Smoke Grenades has been changed from 300c to 200c
  • Credit cost for Poison Gas Grenades has been changed from 600c to 500c
  • Credit cost for Explosives Detector has been changed from 600c to 300c
Interface

• Lowered requirements for most Medal Awards
  • Added progress bars to all Medal Awards
  • Added messaging to main menu and all sub-menu screens that notify users of the following unlocked items: Apparel, Skill Points, Weapons/ Gear, Medals, Ribbons, new Leadership levels and new Ranks
  • Added new comparison text to Stats menu for every category that allows users to compare their own stat to all other MAG players instantly
  • Clan list functionality now works properly and displays online friends alphabetically first, followed by offline friends also listed alphabetically
  • Clan and in-game Friends lists now leave highlighted selection on a player’s name if they change status as they move between “online” and “offline”
  • Changed vehicle icon visibility on the map to reflect its current status of visibility instead of its previous map state of “always seen”
  • Repaired display problem in the “Community” tab’s “Player Search” screen that improperly presented names that contained multiple non-alphabet characters
  • Statistics for “Enemy Vehicles Destroyed Assists” and “Enemy Turrets Destroyed Assists” are now correctly listed in proper category “Objectives”
  • Group panel now display icons to illustrate who is currently speaking
  • Fixed infrequent bug that would incorrectly change sidebar and queue panel status indicator to 1 when the queue size exceeded its maximum
  • Patched display problem in post-game stats screen that would incorrectly sort the “Assists” statistic
  • Eliminated problem that allowed FRAGO’d objectives to continue flashing red and blue after they are destroyed in Acquisition for defenders
Graphics

• Fixed display problem with player’s left hand placement when using foregrip and bipod on the Raven Apex 100 light machine gun
  • Fixed issue that prevented repaired roadblocks from “shining” to indicate that they can be interacted with
  • Lowered instances “Death Twitch” jitter that sometimes occurred in dead characters that were close to/ or interacting with geometry
  • Repaired problem that allowed flashbang effects to penetrate through solid objects and geometry
  • Fixed occasional problem with second and third tier Sniper rifles that would sometimes result in the reticule not appear correctly when scoped
Technical

• Previously-released downloadable content (Fast Attack Gear Pack, Trooper Gear Pack, Raven’s Spyder Body Apparel, SVER’s Hazard Body Apparel, and Valor’s Bulldog Body Apparel) is now accessible to all users without PlayStation Store access
  • Drastically lowered instances by which players could be resuscitated inside objectives, walls, and other geometry.
  • Patched problem that prevented users from saving a loadout with DLC weapons following a “Respec” action
  • Repaired issue that caused renamed PSN IDs to be incorrectly identified as its previous name when logging in
  • Fixed bug that prevented Valor players from selecting all unlocked uniforms when wearing “Augmented Fiber Mesh” light armor
  • Fixed rare bug that would result in thrown grenades bouncing off of dead bodies
  • Repaired an occasional “undefined” message that sometimes occurred when a vehicle was FRAGO’d
  • Fixed issue that sometimes prevented leaders from setting FRAGOs when riding in vehicles
  • Patched occasional glitch that prevented the progress bar from appearing when activating an objective out of a sprint
  • Various text localization updates
Server

• Updated patching system to allow for faster download speeds when retrieving in-game updates

[quote name='smiggity']Is there an accurate player count for this game? Did not see one on the blog website[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's any available, people usually guess based on the queues of each game mode, on an average night it sits around 6,000 at least on one server. Zipper hasn't disclosed any official player count (or how to estimate it either) so it still qualifies as just a guess

That new patch is going to be awesome. Its going to fix so many things that bugged me about the game.

Ill probably join up with Raven once the patch is up.

the patch makes a lot of things better. but its almost making the game too easyy. i feel that my hard earned ribbons and medals are worth less now compared to being dumbed down to get them now.

[quote name='erequena']I don't think there's any available, people usually guess based on the queues of each game mode, on an average night it sits around 6,000 at least on one server. Zipper hasn't disclosed any official player count (or how to estimate it either) so it still qualifies as just a guess[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Smog - when you log in to the servers, i remember the menu gave you the number of people playing for each faction. then it provides # of players for each game type.

Just started playing this last night. Had a few other projects going on but what I played of it was great. I'm on raven, if any cags want to play send a friend request. Is there a game night for this? Or even an active CAG community?

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Just started playing this last night. Had a few other projects going on but what I played of it was great. I'm on raven, if any cags want to play send a friend request. Is there a game night for this? Or even an active CAG community?[/QUOTE]

Im still playing Raven, I am level 51. Just downloaded the patch last night and love the progress bars for the awards. and now that they lowered some of the requirements i might actually get some more of them. :)

bread's done
Back