Mags: Game Informer, GamePro, & Play - Niche game coverage & Biases?

dhowerter

CAG Veteran
Hi all :)

I'd really like to know, for these 3 US print magazines:
Game Informer, GamePro, and Play,

any information you could provide for EACH of the 3 mags: (I'm probably going to subscribe to one of them)

1. How is each magazine's NICHE game coverage?
(that is, coverage / reviews / previews / general focus, etc. on games that would NOT be considered mainstream - for example Zack and Wiki on Wii or Senko no Ronde on 360 or Legacy of Ys on DS)

2. Any large biases for each magazine? (towards / away from certain systems or towards / away from certain genres?)

3. Which magazine, in your opinion, simply gives the most FAIR reviews (carefully considering the pros and cons) of all game types overall? (and especially niche games)

4. Which, in your opinion, is simply the most fun to read? :whistle2:D

5. Any comments you'd care to add about your favorite mag (or least favorite mag) of the 3 listed are welcome ;)

Just trying to get a sense of each magazine (presumably from people who have been reading them for a while)

EDIT:
Try to keep your comments somewhat positive, if possible ;) ^_^ (universal dislike of a mag isn't very informative)

Thanks! :)

[quote name='evanft']Game magazines are fucking pointless.[/QUOTE]

There's still a place for them. The ability to sit down with a tangible product in your hands just can't be replaced by the internet, and while kids these days may think books and magazines are old fashioned, people like me who grew up with a love for print media will always have a special place in our hearts for magazines. If we're talking strictly as sources of news, then yes, they have been made pointless. But there's so much more that can be done with magazines, things that give them a reason to continue to existing no matter what the internet has to offer.

Plus, I still love the contrast in design between magazines and the internet. There's things you can and can't do in each, and it's fun to see how far you can push your skills in both.

Marketing research? Whatever.

I was a long-time subscriber of Game Informer through the Funco/Gamestop discount card. This past December I got my last issue, and I don't care to get any more. The magazine isn't that good anymore. Their older review format was so much better. Their coverage of niche stuff is lacking. They used to do the occasional import back in the 32/64 bit days, but not anymore. Their Classic GI section has become a showcase for PS2/Gamecube/XBOX games and not the truly old stuff. I don't care for the reviewers anymore. Ever since they stopped giving the reviewers a little space for a little blurb each month, they became more and more faceless.

Actually, as I pointed out in my first post, I am considering subscribing to one of these 3 magazines (replacement sub for the now defunct EGM sub I had).

And yes, I posted this in other forums as well. The more opinions and info I have on these 3 magazines, the easier it is to make an informed buying decision. ;)

So, if anyone wants to help me out here, please try to answer the questions in my first post as much as you are able. Thank you. :)

Come on, a little help here? ;) (I explined why I'm asking above)

Couple of questions I forgot to ask before:

1. How is Play's coverage of the Wii and DS? Which mag would you say covers the Wii and DS more: Play or Game Informer?

2. Which is more pro-Wii in general? Game Informer or Play?

3. How is Game Informer's AND Play's coverage of PORTABLE titles? (mainly the DS)
Given that the DS is one of my favorite systems this gen, I want to know how it is covered

4. How is Play's coverage of mainstream titles?
I'd like a little coverage on them even if the niche stuff is what Play focuses on

5. How are Play's and Game Informer's hardware articles? (introducing new systems and all their features, etc.).
The ones from EGM were excellent (and LOOONG), that was one of my favorite parts of EGM

bread's done
Back