Mail Fraud/Fake "Mystery Shopper" Checks going out

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiderLocMTGO

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I got a letter in the mail saying I was invited to be a Mystery Shopper for Wal-Mart/Target/etc. and there was an obviously fake check included for around $4000. It said $400 of this was to be kept for mystery shopping and the rest was to be sent using Western Union or MoneyGram to test their services. The letter also said that it came from a company that asked me if I was interested in generating an additional income, which I know a lot of CAGs fill out random surveys on freebie (TRAINN, etc.) that ask if we are interested in information about an additional income, so this may have come from one of the shadier companies.

The mail (supposedly) originated from Canada and the number included was an Ontario phone number (I live in TN). If anyone gets anything with a check included, be sure to take it to their local post office or police station, simply shredding it isn't enough. While most of us growing up in this age are used to these kind of scams, not everyone is the sharpest or most suspicious crayon in the box, and not doing something just gives the scammers free run to attempt to rip the next person off.

I couldn't find a place to put this so I put it in the "other offers" section. Feel free to move this as you see fit.

Also:

Do Not Try To Deposit The Included "Check/Cheque." Doing so will get you placed in a PMITA prison for an extended period of time. You have been warned.

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO']

Do Not Try To Deposit The Included "Check/Cheque." Doing so will get you placed in a PMITA prison for an extended period of time. You have been warned.[/QUOTE]

You forgot the "federal" part.

FPMITA

[quote name='Xiados']Wow. Since when did people trying to be helpful become the uncool thing.[/quote]

When that one caveman warned the other one of the wooly mammoth trying to eat him and all the other cavemen let out a giant sigh of disdain when he narrowly avoided being eaten.

[quote name='Krayon']When that one caveman warned the other one of the wooly mammoth trying to eat him and all the other cavemen let out a giant sigh of disdain when he narrowly avoided being eaten.[/quote]

Obviously most people here would know this is a fake, I acknowledged that in my first post. My point is that not everyone has experience with this kind of stuff. The old cave lady might think the woolly mammoth would make a cute pet, to use your analogy.

[quote name='karmapolice']He cant help it... he's from Tennessee...[/quote]

Sorry, none of the specials I see from people getting ripped off are ever on people from TN.

If you mean that I go out of my way to help people, a lot of Tennesseeans do that. I know it is rare in other places I have visited (Ohio, Indiana, Florida).

Some of you guys are jackasses, enough said. He's simply trying to look out for people who don't know any better, there's nothing wrong with that.

Thanks OP. Don't worry about the snide comments. It's pretty easy for them to rag on someone when they don't, and wouldn't, say it to your face.

So are we talking about regular Federal Prison, or Federal "Pound you in the ass" Prison? I'd like to know my options ahead of time and plan accordingly.

~HotShotX

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back