Majestic Studios "Limbo of the Lost" steals from Oblivion

[quote name='refusedchaos']lol this making me want to created my own adventure game for CAG...."CheapyD and the Quest to Save Robocop"[/QUOTE]
LOL!

Just kidding.

This almost makes Duke Nukem Forever look hopeful.

I actually want to be told this is some hugely elaborate distraction stunt/scheme created in order to draw fire away from 3D Realms, as if Broussard were laughing it up right now in between wiping the sweat away from his jowls. Perhaps next week we'll get a statement from him talking about how well DNF is coming along, and "at least we aren't ripping stuff from other games - the Duke thinks that's for bitches."

[quote name='Moxio']If I could seriously get a copy of this I would play the shit out of it.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. There's probably an endless trove of gif possibilities in there.

The trailer linked earlier had this one rat-looking sharp teeth mofo. Splendid.

Snake if this leaks out, let me know. You know I'm a slut for this genre.

[quote name='zewone']I don't think anyone would have a problem with you obtaining it through less than honest means, Moxio. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Awww yeahhh. :cool:

Pretty sure the dogs are from the "11th Hour"

LoL I played 7th Guest and 11th Hour back in the day.

7th Guest is a great game - watching the youtube vids it's still creepy as hell and that's after I've played all the Silent Hills.

[quote name='whoknows']Since it's been in development for 10 years maybe all those games stole from Limbo of the Lost.[/QUOTE]

2008061423341558452ut0.gif

[quote name='whoknows']Since it's been in development for 10 years maybe all those games stole from Limbo of the Lost.[/quote]

:rofl:

I can't wait to see what happens with this story.

Man. I really want to play both versions of it now.

And also this Guy Spy game. Did the Amiga have a lot of adventure games?

[quote name='whoknows']Since it's been in development for 10 years maybe all those games stole from Limbo of the Lost.[/quote]

whoknows

[quote name='mrelusive']

LoL
300pxbeetle1to7.jpg

Beetlejuice
300pxbeetle2iw9.jpg
[/quote]
You steal from Beetlejuice, you steal from Michael Keaton. You steal from Michael Keaton, you steal from America. You steal from America, you steal from ME!

LMAO, these guys are fucking awesome!

According to the Telegraph, Laurence Francis, who runs Kent, UK-based Majestic Studios with partners Steve Bovis and Tim Croucher, told the Kent Messenger newspaper that the designers had begun working on the game back in the early 1990s when they were writing a title for the Atari platform.

"Between the three of us we researched, wrote, designed, animated, scripted and developed the whole game from home," Francis said.

The composer is coming forward, trying to clear his name. Poor guy got swept up in all this, it seems.

I didn't notice anything out of place while working on the music. I had written descriptions about the levels and I based my music on those. I never saw any of the levels before I got my own boxed copy of the game. I haven't ever played most of the games the graphics were stolen from, so I doubt I would have ever noticed anything odd by myself.

I did compose the music for DVD main feature (it can be found on YouTube) but at last minute Majestic Studios decided to replace my music with something that "would better appeal to younger audience", so what you hear in that YouTube clip is NOT my music. To my knowledge it was made by Lawrence Francis, the person who was credited for music in the game.

I saw early versions of all the bonus DVD content when I was composing music to them but it never occurred to me that some of the visuals are stolen from elsewhere. Also after I was done with my part, they still did some changes (mainly additions) to those clips. That is the reason the music seems so out of place in the clips in YouTube.

http://forum.gamesradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=120121&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=152

Holy friggin crap. How the fuck did they come up with that ending!? I almost wanted to play it, then I watched some gameplay videos and it stopped being funny. :(

[quote name='VioletArrows']Holy friggin crap. How the fuck did they come up with that ending!? I almost wanted to play it, then I watched some gameplay videos and it stopped being funny. :([/QUOTE]

Looks to me like they were trying to rip on the "song-as-ending" effect as seen in Portal. I'd say we're lucky that they didn't just steal that and have it playing over the "credits."

Can someone - who would actually know what I am talking about - tell me if the ending is on the same wtf-level as Monkey Island 2?

[quote name='Strell']Can someone - who would actually know what I am talking about - tell me if the ending is on the same wtf-level as Monkey Island 2?[/QUOTE]

It's a different kind of WTF, I'd say.

[quote name='Strell']Can someone - who would actually know what I am talking about - tell me if the ending is on the same wtf-level as Monkey Island 2?[/quote]

Monkey Island 2 is up there with
it was aaaalll just a dreeeeam, and those just suck when you think about it.

This is just jaw droppingly "what did I just watch?".

[quote name='VioletArrows']Monkey Island 2 is up there with
it was aaaalll just a dreeeeam, and those just suck when you think about it.
[/QUOTE]

Now that's debatable.

There's enough evidence to suggest it wasn't a dream at all, and instead that you're under some kind of hallucination/curse from LeChuck.

And yet, there's basically just as much evidence to suggest it was indeed a dream/mass imagination of young Guybrush. When I beat it, I remember seeking out any and all discussions/websites devoted to the ending as I could find, and a lot of them chronicle just how much there is to suggest the "dream" dynamic - the water pump that makes the waterfall, the underground ending scene that really suggests Disneyworld's real-life underground tunnels, the fact that the very last scene in the game matches up perfectly in terms of structure/building placement as one of the islands (where the spit contest took place), etc. Pretty fascinating when you think about it.

Since Ron Gilbert wasn't involved in MI3 or MI4, and since he's off doing other projects now, and since there's probably no chance he'll ever get his hands on the license/rights again, he probably won't ever reveal where he was going with the story. Besides, this far away from the conclusion of MI2, it could end up being a Star Wars prequel problem that George Lucas had, where it looked and sounded like he just made shit up the weekend before they started shooting episode one.

I'd really like to find out that Gilbert does actually have a script/idea for MI3, especially if it concluded the series and brought some closure.

But then again, I'd love for that to happen with Loom too, and that's probably never happening.

Shit, as long as we're on the subject, give me DoTT 2 - I'd like to find out what happened to Purple Tentacle.

Sigh, so many cliffhangers.

As for LOL, I hope the original trickles out somewhere in the midst of all this controversy. I kind of want to buy a copy off eBay too...

I wouldn't make it to the end to laugh at this again. Having an absolutely non-existent tolerance to first hand creepy things, I'd probably lose it pretty early in, but the thing that really kills me is, when I watched the gameplay: it's slow. It's slow as molasses in January. The guy literally moves like he's dragging an anchor behind him. Then I turn around for a second and when I look again, there's a running skeleton ghosted over him. He's not dead or in danger or anything, it's just there. He didn't touch anything, there's no point at all, someone just thought that the ghost of a skeleton (uh?) should suddenly appear on top of him. I gave up at that point.

The torrent is up on some sites. I think this is the one exception to game downloading seeing as they will never release any more copies and the whole they stole everything.

It's official, these guys are just stupid.

In response to the shocking notification that some alleged unauthorized copyrighted materials submitted by sources external to the development team have been found within the PC game Limbo of the Lost, we (the development team) have given our consent and full cooperation to both publishers who are recalling all units from all territories immediately.

Please be assured that we do not condone in anyway the use of unauthorized copyrighted materials and if we had been made aware earlier, we would of course have ceased development of the product and rectified the issue prior to the publication process.

To the best of our knowledge no one at Majestic, [European publisher] G2Games or [North American publisher Tri Synergy, Inc.] knew about this infringement and knowingly played any part in it.

We can only apologise to all regarding this issue, as a team we are shocked and mortified regarding these events and we continue to work with said publishers in order to rectify the issue.

So where does that leave us? If the publisher was in the dark, and the developer was in the dark, then who made this damn game? The Janitor? Did I seriously just read that the DEVELOPER of the game OUTSOURCED IT to a THIRD (FOURTH?) PARTY?

You know, I understand that the Publisher is sort of the middle man to help the developer get the game to the market, but if you're a developer and you're not actually making the game, what the fuck do they need you for?

Are you seriously telling me that an entire development studio was answering phone calls and printing papers between the publisher and some guy coding in his basement?

~HotShotX

[quote name='VioletArrows']Sounds like they're trying to pull one of these:
[/QUOTE]

I am unfamiliar with what I am seeing.

And because I am unfamiliar, I don't know if what I am seeing is funny, disturbing, or just plain weird.

Someone posted it because if you look at the background, it doesn't change (and it's from Oblivion), it zooms in on the wall beside them instead of looking at the opposite wall.

And I laugh whenever I see it because of how he slaps his hat off, and the imp's expression as he stumbles away is just priceless.

[quote name='paz9x']wow. thats fucking unreal. i cant believe somebody did that and thought it was acceptable and/or nobody would notice.[/quote]

I can.

bread's done
Back