Major Nelson answers the question "Where is (Insert Title here)?"

Tha Xecutioner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Major Nelson's full blog here: http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2006/06/27/Where-is-_2800_insert-title-here_2900_.aspx

[quote name='Major Nelson']When game publishers or developers promise Marketplace content by a certain date...I cringe. Why? Because getting a game through the certification process is very complex, and often those promising the content by a certain date are not fully aware of all the pieces involved in bringing content to the Marketplace..and then when the content does not appear, well you know what happens.[/quote] [quote name='Major Nelson']how many times have you gone to a game store or checked your favorite gaming website and found out that the release date of your highly anticipated title was moved? Similar issues exist in the process of getting content on the Marketplace or in the Arcade.[/quote] [quote name='Major Nelson']it's not appropriate to compare releasing similar content for a PC with releasing it on an Xbox 360. That is an apples to oranges comparison.[/quote] [quote name='Major Nelson']there are many departments and processes that the Marketplace and Arcade content must pass through before it hits the Marketplace...and I can only see the last few feet or so. It's only when content is locked, loaded and on it's way to the Marketplace that I post about it.[/quote]

Just thought it to be an interesting read, especially since this applies to a lot of CAGs as of late.

I understand there's a process that they need to go through. They need to either find a way to speed that process up, or at least stagger a release schedule so we don't have problems like we do now with little or no noteworthy content over an extended period.

How is PC and 360 apples to oranges. Aren't they going to implement where you can play XBOX LIVE vs players on PC vs 360. Those would be the same then essentially.

Why even put announcement dates then?

I'm curious what the certification process is exactly?

I'm sure what he says is somewhat true, but in the back of my mind I still think it's mostly bullshit. I can understand an arcade game getting pushed back if the developer takes their sweet ass time finishing it up, but I mean they've had the Prey demo for quite a while now. And if there are so many obstacles for them to get it up on Marketplace after they have a demo, they should communicate that to the devlopers/publishers so there is no misunderstandng.

I think MN takes alot of unnecessary heat from drooling fanboys. I can understand complaining to him, however, I don't think its necessary to post 30 messages consisting of "WHERE IS ?????" or "M$ SUKS! MAJOR FAG"

I really wish there was better communication between the other Live teams. Make even shoot a series of shorts showing how the emulation, arcade, etc. teams work to bring us content. I also wish Microsoft would step up and give official announcements. If they knew the Prey demo wasn't coming, they should have countered the 3D Realm's President and said "There's X,Y,Z problems and we're still working on it." rather than a denial of information.

I understand what he is saying, but IMO they need to do a better job controlling the developers talking shit then. Personally I don't mind the lack of stuff being released. Most companies don't drop shit in the summertime, so should this be any suprise to us that there is no new content. Besides that I own a couple games I haven't gotten started on, as well as several others I would like to buy. I don't see what the need/demand for another fps demo is so high, when there are already some good ones out there like Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, Far Cry, and Battlfield.

[quote name='ryanbph']Most companies don't drop shit in the summertime, so should this be any suprise to us that there is no new content.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that's the reason why they SHOULD be hustling XBLA games out the door NOW instead of later. I'm repeating myself from elsewhere on the forums here, but they're NEVER going to hit their magical "10 million" buffer that they keep claiming if they just go along with the summer drought like all the other companies are. They had a good start, but the XBox brand isn't strong enough on name brand alone to carry a massive lead into the other console launches. They still need to prove themselves in the eyes of a lot of customers (and potential customers, for that matter).

Pumping out quality titles for XBLA now would be a cost-effective solution to let people know that MS has the intent of delivering games year round - not just for end of sales period numbers inflation (like in March) or holidays (November-December).

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'd say that's the reason why they SHOULD be hustling XBLA games out the door NOW instead of later. I'm repeating myself from elsewhere on the forums here, but they're NEVER going to hit their magical "10 million" buffer that they keep claiming if they just go along with the summer drought like all the other companies are. They had a good start, but the XBox brand isn't strong enough on name brand alone to carry a massive lead into the other console launches. They still need to prove themselves in the eyes of a lot of customers (and potential customers, for that matter).

Pumping out quality titles for XBLA now would be a cost-effective solution to let people know that MS has the intent of delivering games year round - not just for end of sales period numbers inflation (like in March) or holidays (November-December).[/quote]

First and foremost I don't get why more games aren't dropped in the summer. Students are home, yes people will be outside more, but the amount of extra time spent outdoors I find hard to compare to a full school day plus homework.
With that being said, I don't get your reasoning on why they need to pump out shit left and right. No there name isn't as strong as sony's, but $200 cheaper will defintly hurt sony by the casual gamers. If someone is on the fence on ps3 or xbox 360, why the fuck would they care about the demo's or live arcade games now. If they really are on the fence, wouldn't they make there decision come oct/nov when the ps3 releases, and you get final specs on it/ can see them side by side at eb etc...

Why would they need to show we are going to give you games all year, NO ONE DOES THAT. It isn't like there is an option to go to the ps2 or gamecube and get games. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but how many gamecube games have been release in the past year and half, never mind the summer months. I would prefer they got the demo's/arcade games out in a timely/regular manner, but it doesn't change the fact that this isn't how the industry works in the summertime. There is plenty out right now to keep me busy for the rest of the year.

[quote name='doubledown']How is PC and 360 apples to oranges. Aren't they going to implement where you can play XBOX LIVE vs players on PC vs 360. Those would be the same then essentially.[/quote]

Actually I don't think it is going to work that way, at least not at the start. Halo 2 for Vista will not be cross playable between 360 and PC. You'll be able to see what other games people are playing, etc., via Live but you won't be able to play each other...at least initially.

[quote name='lebowsky']Actually I don't think it is going to work that way, at least not at the start. Halo 2 for Vista will not be cross playable between 360 and PC. You'll be able to see what other games people are playing, etc., via Live but you won't be able to play each other...at least initially.[/QUOTE]

Shadowrun is PC vs 360 online.

[quote name='ryanbph']First and foremost I don't get why more games aren't dropped in the summer. Students are home, yes people will be outside more, but the amount of extra time spent outdoors I find hard to compare to a full school day plus homework.[/QUOTE]

from what I have heard is because a lot of games are released around the similar time in europe for some reason(I forget). Europeans are much smarter than us and take long vacations throughout the summer so people arent home that much so they hold off on games being released there, holding off games for us here.

bread's done
Back