Major PSP Newbie Help

tayaf69

CAGiversary!
I've have finally bought a PSP. The reason why I never bought one sooner was that I always wanted to use homebrew and that kind of stuff, but it always confused me. I can't find a site that easily explains all of this to beginners, so is there any site or any suggestions you could give to someone who doesn't know ANYTHING about homebrew? I want to play emulated games and whatnot so thanks!!

First check your firmware. If you have higher than 2.0 you're very limited to what you can do, not to mention you need to buy extra crap. Really though it isn't very hard to find out what to do if you use that site. Although, if you need help PM me. Now figuring out the programming and what everyone on the forums is talking about, that is hard if you have my ambition. (Vey little)

thanks. will look deeper into this. I know about the firmware issues and I haven't really opened my PSP because I don't yet have a memory stick, but I was under the assumption that all NEW PSPs came with version 1.5. Am I wrong?

actually if you don't have below 2.0 or whatever you have to literally crash your psp system, you can then go back and install 2.0 or whatever.... Go to The aots section of G4tv.com they have a psp topic where they explained how to do this.... just be careful you can damage your psp if you don't know what your doing so read that first...

most new psp shipped now has 2.5. If you store has an older stock then you might get older firmware. If you have a core unit you have a 2.5

[quote name='tayaf69']thanks. will look deeper into this. I know about the firmware issues and I haven't really opened my PSP because I don't yet have a memory stick, but I was under the assumption that all NEW PSPs came with version 1.5. Am I wrong?[/quote] As the guy above me said you may have a newer shipment. If you have 2.0 or lower you need to downgrade. If you're worried you'll screw something up PM me. Although, I'm not sure if there are damaging effects.

I upgraded because Homebrew wasn't all that great.

I have 2.5. I will take a look at more of the information on that site once I get my memory card. Since I will be able to use homebrew on 2.6 and under, do games like Daxter and Megaman work or do they require a later version.

I guess my last question would be how many of you guys enjoy homebrew and is it possible to play certain games without error (i.e. snes)

guess i'll ask another question...

What is the best battery or accessory you can buy for the PSP to give it the longest life? Thanks again for all your help!

why is everyone paying 250 dollars for a portable emulator? Honestly the PSP has a lot of good games out for it right now and more coming out this year whats the facination with replaying NES and old Sega games on a system I just dont really get it. Seems like it would get old after a while.

[quote name='PhoenixT']why is everyone paying 250 dollars for a portable emulator? Honestly the PSP has a lot of good games out for it right now and more coming out this year whats the facination with replaying NES and old Sega games on a system I just dont really get it. Seems like it would get old after a while.[/quote]
I agree, if you want a portable emulator, just buy a GP2X. I dont use my 1.5 for emulators as most of them lag to hell, i use it mainly for playing PSP ISO's.

[quote name='PhoenixT']why is everyone paying 250 dollars for a portable emulator? Honestly the PSP has a lot of good games out for it right now and more coming out this year whats the facination with replaying NES and old Sega games on a system I just dont really get it. Seems like it would get old after a while.[/QUOTE]
That's not the only reason I want it. I just think of that as a bonus. I really can't afford a lot of the games out right now anyways and can only get one (I guess I'll get syphon filter). Still, it's nice to be able to play games like FF3 or Descent on the run. If I have the system, why not try to take full advantage of it?

bread's done
Back