Making a One Hit Wonder Playlist

WAJedi

Banned
Well, I'm wanting to finish filling my MP3 player, and wanted to make a One Hit Wonder Playlist. What other songs can you think of? I am mainly interested in cheesy pop/pop/rock. I like country music, but don't really want any on this list, and I hate rap (unless it is really cheesy like Hammer or Vanilla Ice). Here is what I have so far. To start off, I used Napster's suggestion, and then started adding some. Some of these might not be one hit things. I stopped listening to the radio a while back, and was not exposed to some of the other possible hits from these bands. If there are any let me know.

Save Tonight - Eagle Eye Cherry
Something About You – Level 42
In A Big Country – Big Country
I Will Survive – Gloria Gaymor
Lovergirl – Teena Mario
Tubthumping – Chumbawumba
What’s on Your Mind – Information Society
The Rain – Oran “Juice” Jones
You Get What You Give – The New Radicals
Breakout – Swing out Wister
Blue – Eifel 65
Video Killed the Radio Star – The Buggles
Inside Out – Eve 6
MMMBop – Hanson
Ice Ice Baby – Vanilla Ice
Can’t Touch This – MC Hammer
Wannabe – Spice Girls
Barbie Girl – Aqua
Fat Lip – Sum 41
Macarena
Mambo Number 5
Everyone's Free to Wear Sunscreen - Baz Lurman

Sum 41 and Eiffel 65 are more then one-hit wonders...

Move your body (or whatever it's called) by Eiffel 65 is a good mp3.

Like I said, I didn't listen to the radio for a while. Once I heard their first song, I lost all faith in popular music and started listening to country.

How about:
I Will Be There - Glass Tiger
Something So Strong -Crowded House
Rock Me Amedaus - Falco
I Believe in a Thing Called Love -The Darkness

Oh! and another one:
Down Under -Men at Work

Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag

Two of my favorites, unfortunately. Both are great bands, especially HD (seen them 3 times already) but, the fact is, they're both not going to have any more songs on the radio.

[quote name='WAJedi']Like I said, I didn't listen to the radio for a while. Once I heard their first song, I lost all faith in popular music and started listening to country.[/QUOTE]

that was a really good idea

Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder
Take on Me by A-Ha (surprised nobody mentioned that one yet)
Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer (ditto)
Life in a Northern Town by Dream Academy
The Devil Went Down to Georgia by the Charlie Daniels Band (I love that song)
Some Kind of Wonderful by Grandfunk Railroad (thx to GTA:SA!)
I Feel For You by Chaka Khan
Sister Golden Hair by America (at least I dunno any other songs of theirs)
Take My Breath Away by Berlin
The Promise by When In Rome

(you have that Information Society song misnamed, incidentally. I believe the song's correct title is Pure Energy. ...most of these songs currently reside on my mp3 player, too. :) )

[quote name='gmzone']Sum 41 and Eiffel 65 are more then one-hit wonders...

Move your body (or whatever it's called) by Eiffel 65 is a good mp3.[/QUOTE]

I'll give Sum 41 had some hits, but Eiffel 65 is definitely considered a one hit wonder in America. Otherwise they're huge abroad, but I still think that they suck. There are tons of other musicians that do way better stuff then them. Oh and OP, I think Eve 6 is a two hit wonder ;):)

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']Movie themed...

Top Gun - Danger Zone
[/QUOTE]

Kenny Loggins is definately not a one hit wonder. He had 2 on the Top Gun soundtrack alone. :D

[quote name='rodeojones903']Kenny Loggins is definately not a one hit wonder. He had 2 on the Top Gun soundtrack alone. :D[/QUOTE]

Ya know I just can't remember what the other 'hit' even sounded like... much less its title.

[quote name='2poor']Come on Ride the Train- Jock Jams(?)
Whoop There it is-Naughty by Nature[/QUOTE]

Naughty by Nature is no where near a one hit wonder nor a two hit wonder. Some of the names that are coming out keep surprising me where people get them.

[quote name='2poor']Owner of a Lonely Heart- Yes
i know this is a one hit wonder[/QUOTE]

Actually they've been around for over a decade before the "hit" and are still making tons of records since that song.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']Actually they've been around for over a decade before the "hit" and are still making tons of records since that song.[/QUOTE]

Some might try to say it was the sole hit for that version of Yes but 'Leave It' got a fair amount of airplay as well.

Some people are a little unclear on the concept. Just because it was their only song to get your attention doesn't mean the performer in question didn't have other successful songs. I can only think of one Shania Twain song off the top of my head but I know she's had a lot more hits in her target market than that one.

http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/

A one hit wonder needs to be a band that only hit the charts in a big way once and was never heard from again. Some bands never make the top ten on the singles chart but still did huge business in the AOR market. The Who, for instance.

Long before 'Twilight Zone' Golden Earring had a big hit with 'Radar Love.'

Soft Cell's 'Sex Dwarf' was huge on new wave stations when it was recent. Marc Almond had another song that still gets a lot of play on certain stations but I can't recall the title. It's a sort of extended rant about a bad day.

Oingo Boingo? You have to be kidding. Many successful albums.

Men at Work (Who Can It Be Now) and Crowded House (Don't Dream It's Over) both had many popular singles beyond those listed. Falco had an earlier crossover hit in 'Der Kommisar' that also did well as an English cover version by another band that was an early MTV hit but I cannot recall the band's name. Charlie Daniels, Berlin (Sex(I'm a), No More Words, Masquerade), America (Horse With No Name, Ventura highway) , and Chaka Khan were by no means one hitters.

Kenny Loggins. Um, remember Loggins & Messina? Caddyshack?

ZZ Top? Again, you gotta be kidding. Several hits before the MTV era.

Work harder here, people. You have to dig up those painful obscurities of yore, like 'Afternoon Delight' by the Starland Vocal Band. Pleasant the first few time it came around on the radio but then it transformed into an auditory ice pick thrust right through your forehead.

Nada Surf "Popular"
Gravity Kills "Guilty"
Soul Coughing "Circles"
Toadies "Possum Kingdom"
Butthole Surfers "Pepper"

Some 80's one hit wonders:

Corey Hart "Sunglasses At Night"
The Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star"
Nena "99 Luftballoons"
Toni Basil "Mickey"
Loverboy "Working For The Weekend"
A Flock Of Seagulls "I Ran (So Far Away)"

"Cars" by Gary Numan
"Cotton-Eyed Joe" by Rednex
"No Myth" by Michael Penn
"Girl with the Curious Hand" by Digney Fignus
"Escalator of Life" by Robert Hazard
"Rico Suave" by Gerardo
"Wild, Wild West" by The Escape Club
"Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo
"Puttin' on the Ritz" by Taco

[quote name='2poor']Come on Ride the Train- Jock Jams(?)
Whoop There it is-Naughty by Nature[/QUOTE]

Whoop there it is was done by tag team. Naughty By Nature had quite a few successful releases.

I was looking at that onehitwondercentral.com that epobirs posted. Doesn't seem like the site gets updated a lot because under the 2000's, they still have Jimmy Eat World as a on hit wonder.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I was looking at that onehitwondercentral.com that epobirs posted. Doesn't seem like the site gets updated a lot because under the 2000's, they still have Jimmy Eat World as a on hit wonder.[/QUOTE]

I think it just repackages content from a TV series they did at that time. Once the series ended they didn't have much incentive to update the site. The series does get repeated once in a while and hard drive space is cheap, so the site stays up.

Tag Team - Whoop, there it is
Rembrandt - "Friends" theme
Dog's Eye View - Everything Falls Apart

Your list is great by the way, and I agree with practically every choice on there. I don't think Sum 41 would be considered one hit wonders though, that song "In too Deep" seemed to get a lot of airplay too.

EDIT: Tag Team was already listed so I'll think of some more.
O-Town - Whatever that one song was called
2Gether- that You + Me = Us song

[quote name='lionheart4life']Rembrandt - "Friends" theme[/QUOTE]

people have to like it to make it a one hit wonder.

bread's done
Back