Making friends on PS Online?

HeSaveDave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I haven't played any multiplayer pretty much since the the first couple years of the PS3. Back then I found that the lack of an included mic made it difficult to make buddies online while playing since so many people didn't use voice. With XBOX Live most people had mics and would chat and I made lots of buddies.

How difficult is it to make buddies on PS online? Do many people use voice? I was going to get some PS3 games and give it a go but kinda wanted to get a feel for what it's like with multiplayer first. Thanks guys!

Depends on the game, but by and large I haven't found a ton of people using mics. The ones that do are almost always. A) someone cool that actually tries to make conversation, be it small talk or to help the team, or (more often) B) the heavy breathers/compulsive cursers/whiny 12 year olds that perpetrate so much of the internet :oldman:

Depends on the game, but by and large I haven't found a ton of people using mics. The ones that do are almost always. A) someone cool that actually tries to make conversation, be it small talk or to help the team, or (more often) B) the heavy breathers/compulsive cursers/whiny 12 year olds that perpetrate so much of the internet :oldman:
Oh no. :headache:

so basically B) just summarize up a good majority of xbox 360 cod fan boys/players , LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree the majority of players on XBOX Live are screaming 12 year olds, but at the same time most people use voice and you can find cool people/mute the kids.

I agree the majority of players on XBOX Live are screaming 12 year olds, but at the same time most people use voice and you can find cool people/mute the kids.
if you actually watch some xbox 360 cod gameplays, you can tell most of them are horny teenagers/ high school kids with raging hormones, based on the things they say.

if you actually watch some xbox 360 cod gameplays, you can tell most of them are horny teenagers/ high school kids with raging hormones, based on the things they say.
Yeah, that's why I said "the majority of players on XBOX Live are screaming 12 year olds".

It's just too bad PS3 players don't use voice much. Hopefully the included headset with the PS4 will help.

Yeah, that's why I said "the majority of players on XBOX Live are screaming 12 year olds".

It's just too bad PS3 players don't use voice much. Hopefully the included headset with the PS4 will help.
it will most likely will give an incentive for many ps4 owners to use voice chat online.

A lot of people might be like me. I have a headset but only use it to talk to people I know. Once in a while if someone would ask if someone has a mic I'd turn it on if they didn't seem annoying.

But I'm usually not trying to make friends when I rarely play online.

These days insofar as online console gaming is concerned, finding friends through matchmaking is really quite difficult. I think this has to do with the nature of contemporary games, but that might be a philosophical/psychological debate that I am sure no one wants to have. The issue regarding microphones on the Playstation has already been addressed, but the real obstacle is finding people with likable personalities. I have, or at least had since I no longer own the console, a similar problem on Xbox because everyone was in a private or party chat. 

Just call out if anyone has a mic, or sit there and talk into your own, odds are someone will toss theirs on and talk back in some fashion. 

THIS. 100000000x THIS

Most of the people I've run into in online games tend to like to trash talk and in general be asshats compared to actually just bs'ing and/or trying to help out when they're playing a team based game.

Then, of course, you have the modders on PS3 now. Some of them use those cheating methods to their advantage during competitive mp, which makes the games absolutely unplayable, since how do you compete against someone who is invulnerable and can teleport all over the map?

i am curious to know, what type of mp games you guys play? the only online type games i can think of is mmo, and shooters.

i am curious to know, what type of mp games you guys play? the only online type games i can think of is mmo, and shooters.
Ones I've heard people talking on:

Uncharted 2/3 (actually found a really cool guy from denmark playing UC2)

LittleBigPlanet (kids mostly, but not completely unexpected)

Modern Warfare 2 (need I say)

MAG (mostly the extremely hardcore fans which like to tear novices like myself apart)

Borderlands (basically used the game as party chat even when in public, making me something of a third wheel)

I'm sure there are more, but that's off the top of my head. I'm not a huge multiplayer fan so maybe I'm getting a slightly skewed view by how little I play, but for the most part the stereotypes are pretty accurate (in my experience).

Ones I've heard people talking on:

Uncharted 2/3 (actually found a really cool guy from denmark playing UC2)
LittleBigPlanet (kids mostly, but not completely unexpected)
Modern Warfare 2 (need I say)
MAG (mostly the extremely hardcore fans which like to tear novices like myself apart)
Borderlands (basically used the game as party chat even when in public, making me something of a third wheel)

I'm sure there are more, but that's off the top of my head. I'm not a huge multiplayer fan so maybe I'm getting a slightly skewed view by how little I play, but for the most part the stereotypes are pretty accurate (in my experience).
the games u listed are consider somewhat old games, lol
do you not buy new release games?

Occasionally, but I played these a while ago anyway and am basing my experience off of then. Just because a game is old doesn't mean it's not worth playing, and as someone that got into this generation late I've had a lot of great games to catch up on, so I've little need to buy new games (though I will break occasionally like with Bioshock Infinite).

Occasionally, but I played these a while ago anyway and am basing my experience off of then. Just because a game is old doesn't mean it's not worth playing, and as someone that got into this generation late I've had a lot of great games to catch up on, so I've little need to buy new games (though I will break occasionally like with Bioshock Infinite).
i am just surprised you can still find enough people playing those games online.

I very rarely buy new release titles, unless it's like Diablo III where I PM'd to $45 at BB from the TRU website or a major title I've been anticipating for a while like GTA V.

I also play some Battlefield 1943 and for a while I used to join some friends in playing Battlefield 3.

I very rarely buy new release titles, unless it's like Diablo III where I PM'd to $45 at BB from the TRU website or a major title I've been anticipating for a while like GTA V.

I also play some Battlefield 1943 and for a while I used to join some friends in playing Battlefield 3.
i still play battlefield 3 sometimes, lol
i might get diablo 3, still undecided.

My blocked list is huge, I play a lot of fighting games so when I play a spammer they usually have something they like to say. But making friends is pretty cool, especially when you both are good at a game and want to keep playing someone with similiar skill. Maybe you won/lost just by an inch and want to keep playing with said person.

A lot of people might be like me. I have a headset but only use it to talk to people I know. Once in a while if someone would ask if someone has a mic I'd turn it on if they didn't seem annoying.

This... Every player I find with a mic on the ps3 just takes the game way to serious

Maybe it's the game itself but I've been playing GoW: Ascension for a couple of months on multiplayer mode and almost everybody with a mic is pretty mature and level headed.  My friends list has gotten pretty big in the last few weeks especially due to this game.  Everybody I've talked to seem to be there to just crack jokes and have fun.  Once in awhile I'll get a ultra competitive player that wants to just talk junk but it's more from being competitive I think than immature.  My theory is that people that spend the money on the mics are the ones that have disposable income and aren't the 12 year old teens.  I'm getting to a point where I'm having to turn down invites to join parties because I'm already joining a match I was already invited to. 

One thing I wish they incorporated with parties was the option to actually play against your friends.  It's usually more fun to play with them but every now and then I think it's fun to just compete against your buddies as well.

I'm kind of like this, I tend to keep my mic muted unless someone seems to be talking in a tolerable way, or flat out asks if anyone has a mic. If you're looking to meet some people or just want to get some teamwork going, ask if anyone has a mic. You'd be surprised how many people do, but default to mute/off for the sake of avoiding the usual teenage jabber.

As others have said, it also depends heavily on the game. I've met quite a few cool people in The Last Of Us online recently, but my luck with FPS games has been consistently lower over the years.

Who says you need a mic to make friends? I've made a lot of friends on PSN without using any mic. We chat & play daily playing games like Uncharted 3, The Last of Us, Madden,etc. We always have a chat room in the background when playing games. Yea I know what u might say....wtf? chatroom?...but thats good enough for me.

One thing I hate though is accepting a friends request.....then never hearing from the person ever. Whats the dam point having you on my list then? I quickly delete those people.

Most of my friends I've made online came from co-op games, so I would say play more co-op games to meet some cool people. You know, people who actually have a personality and not be silent like a dam ghost,lol.

Edit: Oh yea, on the Playstation forums there's an unofficial make PSN friends thread. Met some cool people form there. Check it out.

That's how my friends list is lately, ThePriceIsRight. I've added people from games and then either I invite them to a game and they leave quick or I just never hear from them after accepting the original friend request.

But my friends I've had on my list for a long time now are people I've rarely chatted with on mic. We usually just exchange messages over PSN or occasionally make a chat room to shoot the breeze.

bread's done
Back