Man found with almost 50% blood alcohol level.

PhrostByte

CAG Newbie
Wow...

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - State police say they arrested a man early Tuesday whose blood alcohol level was 0.491 percent — the highest ever recorded in Rhode Island for someone who wasn't dead.
[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]
b

Stanley Kobierowski was taken to a hospital, put in the detoxification unit and sedated, said Maj. Steven O'Donnell. He was arraigned Tuesday on charges of driving while intoxicated and resisting arrest, and he was released after promising to appear Friday at a court hearing.
"The person's lucky they survived," O'Donnell said. "There's no doubt he would have gotten killed or killed someone if he had continued on the route he was taking."
A phone listing for Kobierowski could not be found, and he did not have a lawyer in court Tuesday.
Kobierowski, 34, of North Providence, was arrested after he drove into a highway message board on Interstate 95 in Providence, O'Donnell said.
After police arrived, Kobierowski had trouble getting out of the car, then grabbed it and refused to move, forcing troopers to carry him to the breakdown lane before taking him back to their barracks, O'Donnell said.
A breath test showed blood alcohol readings of 0.489 percent, followed by 0.491, O'Donnell said, the highest readings state officials could remember for someone who didn't end up dead.
The legal limit in Rhode Island is 0.08. A level of 0.30 is classified as stupor, 0.4 is comatose and 0.5 is considered fatal, according to the health department.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_extremely_drunk

Btw sorry about the misleading title... Apparently I can't count. It wasn't 50%.. it was more like .5%

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it isn't 50%, it is .491% or nearly one-half of a percent.

I can't believe he had a nearly lethal b.a.c. and was driving!

[quote name='jbroush99']Actually, it isn't 50%, it is .491% or nearly one-half of a percent.[/QUOTE]

That's still really high. The highest I ever saw was a guy at .45 and he was found passed out in his backyard. You have to a MAJOR alcoholic to get anywhere near that high unless you're forcibly intoxicated, mostly after you've lost consciousness.

[quote name='jbroush99']Actually, it isn't 50%, it is .491% or nearly one-half of a percent.

I can't believe he had a nearly lethal b.a.c. and was driving![/quote]

I thought .491 was 49.1%, that doesn't make much sense does it? Stupid me.. :wave:

[quote name='Chacrana']It'd be somethin' special to have half of your blood replaced by alcohol, though.[/QUOTE]

What about draining all your rabid blood and replacing it with Hank's non-rabid blood?

It also gives you all his knowledge of propane and propane accessories.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I thought .491 was 49.1%, that doesn't make much sense does it? Stupid me.. :wave:[/quote]

It is normally, but BAC is defined as the percentage alcohol in the blood. I mean, read the first sentence of the article again:

State police say they arrested a man early Tuesday whose blood alcohol level was 0.491 percent

At .4 you are supposed to be in a coma, the fact he was near deadzone, and alive enough to fight the police is sickly funny.

However I wish that scum was dead.

[quote name='bigdaddy']At .4 you are supposed to be in a coma, the fact he was near deadzone, and alive enough to fight the police is sickly funny.

However I wish that scum was dead.[/QUOTE]

Why is the guy scum for getting lethally drunk. Stupid yes but wishing for death his death it not like he was drunk and out on a kitten and puppy killing spree while throwing babies out the window.

[quote name='fait74']Why is the guy scum for getting lethally drunk. Stupid yes but wishing for death his death it not like he was drunk and out on a kitten and puppy killing spree while throwing babies out the window.[/QUOTE]

He was behind the wheel. Wishing him death is extreme, but he could have killed somebody.

[quote name='wubb']He was behind the wheel. Wishing him death is extreme, but he could have killed somebody.[/QUOTE]

Yea that is true and I agree with that drinking adriving very stupid, but to wish he would die for a dumb fuck up. Was it a dumb idea yes, should he be wished death for dumb idea no. But if he had killed or hurt someone then maybe that would be a diffrent story.

What's sad is that to be able to actually function with that much alcohol in his system means he's had to have been nearly as drunk to build up the tolerance. I guess we have a new Frank the Tank.

[quote name='fait74']Yea that is true and I agree with that drinking adriving very stupid, but to wish he would die for a dumb fuck up. Was it a dumb idea yes, should he be wished death for dumb idea no. But if he had killed or hurt someone then maybe that would be a diffrent story.[/quote]

I agree. It seems that people wish death on others for less and less every day.

I can't believe this guy was able to get on the interstate. I don't know how busy I-95 is in Rhode Island, but from Richmond to DC, I-95 always has a steady flow of traffic on it. If he was able to get in his car and drive on I-95 without hitting anyone else while having a BAC of nearly .5, he is a champion.

The guy is scum and should have hit a pole and died. He could have very easily have killed several other people, but why worry about that. Let's take the side of the scum who will most likely only go to jail for a week.

Rhode Island--- it makes perfect sense. I'd probably drink that much too if I still lived there.

(being overly harsh, but I can't blame him for it)

[quote name='bigdaddy']The guy is scum and should have hit a pole and died. He could have very easily have killed several other people, but why worry about that. Let's take the side of the scum who will most likely only go to jail for a week.[/quote]

His actions are extremely irresponsible. IMO there's a difference between just inching over the ever-lower legal limit and driving in a physical state that requires hospitalization. Thank the gods he didn't kill anyone.

That being said, people make mistakes. I read once that in America the odds are overwhelmingly likely that you or someone you are family/friends with has driven drunk at least once. That isn't to say that these people are scum, they may be, or they may have realized their mistake and never done it again. From what we know this man's actions don't speak highly of him, but it's a huge leap to call him scum or claim he deserved to die.

The cases that really open my eyes are the ones where a drunk driver is repeatedly given his keys back after 8 or 9 convictions. They throw some fines and jail time at the guy, but to me it's insane they even let those guys back in the car without a breathalizer strapped to the wheel.

[quote name='Wombat']what we are all forgetting is that the man was 20 feet tall and weighed 900 lbs.[/quote]

I hear he once used a live rattlesnake as a condom

[quote name='bigdaddy']The guy is scum and should have hit a pole and died. He could have very easily have killed several other people, but why worry about that. Let's take the side of the scum who will most likely only go to jail for a week.[/QUOTE]

No one said they are taking his side but yet you want him dead over drinking to much. Even if he only goes to jail for a week he most likely will have large fine a really good chance to lose his license, and that will affect him at his job and plus there is a news story about him so he has to deal with all that for his choise to drink way to much. But because of a mistake he made you say he should die what is the reason.

Let's not forget that you'll blow higher than what you're really at if you have had something to drink directly before blowing. Chances are that he was drinking while he was driving.

But regardless, I have no idea what the variance amount could be, that is RIDICULOUS. To put it into perspective, the average BAC of drunk drivers in fatal accidents is .16.

yeah i came in here just to point out that you had to be absolutely wrong as well with your title. not interested in the rest of the story.

[quote name='fait74']No one said they are taking his side but yet you want him dead over drinking to much. [/QUOTE]

Exactly. He's scum and should get a much harsher penalty than he'll get, but I personally wouldn't wish death on anyone--much less for a DUI that thankfully (and luckily) didn't cause any injuries or fatalities.

[quote name='QiG']Let's not forget that you'll blow higher than what you're really at if you have had something to drink directly before blowing. Chances are that he was drinking while he was driving.

But regardless, I have no idea what the variance amount could be, that is RIDICULOUS. To put it into perspective, the average BAC of drunk drivers in fatal accidents is .16.[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. If he had JUST had a drink, the reading would be screwed up.

Also, these things aren't very reliable. My dad has one, and told his friend to blow in it. His friend said that the last time he drank was a glass of wine 6 days earlier, and he blew a .02.

[quote name='marten']Please. It'd be Never4ever before it was me.

:beer:[/QUOTE]

Too true. Though in my defense I don't like driving drunk, I usually leave that to someone else , or I just walk / bike home (or even sleep somewhere).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Rhode Island--- it makes perfect sense. I'd probably drink that much too if I still lived there.

(being overly harsh, but I can't blame him for it)[/QUOTE]
I'm the opposite. I'm never leaving here. I don't know how you live without pizza strips, Del's Lemonade, and stuffies.

[quote name='Wombat']what we are all forgetting is that the man was 20 feet tall and weighed 900 lbs.[/quote]

So... Wombat... what blood alcohol level could the Hulk get to? Hmm?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm the opposite. I'm never leaving here. I don't know how you live without pizza strips, Del's Lemonade, and stuffies.[/QUOTE]

Del's Lemonade is the biggest scam in the world. It tastes like shit but people eat it up because it's a "tradition."

Then again, I hate all forms of lemonade because it seems like every time I have a glass, I end up throwing up within a day. I think it's all the acid.

[quote name='camoor']I hear he once used a live rattlesnake as a condom[/quote]

I heard that he once arm-wrestled Paul Bunyan. The match went on for 3 weeks before they both fell asleep, ending the match in a draw.

Sort of off topic, but I wanted to say this just because it's commonly misunderstood by a lot of people: percent literally means per hundred (the root "cent" is a hundred, like in centimeter). ‰, which is permil, is the same thing (per thousand, think "mil" like in millimeter). It's just a scaled ratio.

.491 alcohol = 49.1% alcohol = 491‰ alcohol.

The above says...

(.491 parts alcohol per 1 part blood) = (49.1 parts alcohol per 100 parts blood) = (491 parts alcohol per 1,000 parts blood)

I'm not correcting anyone, I'm sure the OP simply didn't notice it was 0.491% (0.00491 ratio), just consider this a PSA. I've had so many lab partners screw up ratios, it's mind boggling. Like, they'll divide percent by 100 to get the ratio, or multiple a permil by 100 to get percent, etc, etc.

bread's done
Back