Man lay dead in bed for two years

Lootr2Core

CAGiversary!
Man lay dead in bed for two years
Condo fees and bills were still being paid
Body finally found in mummified state

WINNIPEG—His telephone number was still listed in the telephone directory and his condominium fees and bills were automatically being withdrawn from his bank account.

No one knew Jim Sulkers had died in his bed almost two years ago.

Neighbour Sam Shuster said residents in the complex often wondered where the man they knew only as Jim had gone, but were told his condominium fees were still being paid.

"How can that happen, for God's sake. Two years!" Shuster said yesterday of the man who had been a resident in the building since the mid-1980s.

"I used to ask the president of the board of directors where in the hell is he? She said all she knew was the bank gets the monthly money so we don't worry about it."

Sulkers' remains were discovered Wednesday. Manitoba's chief medical examiner, Dr. Thambirajah Balachandra, determined he had died of natural causes.

Sulkers, believed to be in his 50s, had multiple sclerosis. Balachandra said there were no signs of trauma and he was able to quickly rule out homicide, suicide or accident as a cause of death. But because the body was in a mummified state, he could not determine an exact cause.

He said a newspaper dated Nov. 21, 2002, was found in the man's apartment and a wall calendar was opened to November 2002 — evidence the man died nearly two years ago.

A cousin, Kim Dyck of Winnipeg, said she lost contact with the man after his mother died about 10 years ago, but relatives had attempted to make contact with Sulkers last summer when they were in the city for a wedding.

"They knocked on his door and he didn't answer," she said. "You assume he isn't home. You certainly don't assume he's dead."

She said the man's bills must have been covered by a pension cheque automatically deposited into his bank account.

Neighbours said Sulkers' mailbox had become full several times and was always emptied by a letter carrier.

Canada Post spokesman Brian Garagan said letter carriers are required to clear full mailboxes and inform a supervisor, who calls the condo owner. He said the corporation was trying to determine if that policy was followed.

He said Sulkers' mail delivery was halted at some point but he wasn't sure when. He said he would be talking to the letter carrier on the route.

Marcel Baril, executive director of the Family Centre in Winnipeg, called the situation bizarre and sad. "It's odd that we live in a society where technology can take care of our affairs like that, even if we passed away two years ago, and nobody's noticed."

A spokeswoman for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada said the disease itself was not fatal but complications could be.

Canadian Press

The big thing they left out was how they found the guy. That's what I was looking for throughout the entire article. What happened to make someone go into the house? I'd like to read the comments from whoever found him.

That goes to show you that if you do not have family do not have everything automatically taken from your account. If he had to pay his mortgage and fees via a check they would have found him in about 90 days.

[quote name='snotknocker']I'm not buying it. dead bodies stink something awful.[/quote]

Well if all the windows were closed and no one went near the house, no one woulda known.

Kinda odd how not a single person would notice no lights on ever, mailbox always full, etc. Maybe a few weeks but years? Comon. Maybe this source isn't reliable as we think (Canadian Press?)

You never know, I mind my own business enough that if I hadn't seen a neighbor that I really didn't know for 1-2 years I don't think I'd ever actually go knock on their door or anything to see if they were still alive. The norm is to just assume that they've become a hermit or something :)

Poor guy. Neighbors wonder where he is, but the property owner only cares that they got his money. I miss him allready.

[quote name='snotknocker']I'm not buying it. dead bodies stink something awful.[/quote]

I Agree. it made no mention of a smell at all. I call BS, plus condition must be right to make a body become mumifed.

Damn I could have been staying there rent free for two years. Only had to clean up one dead dude. Why wasn't that deal posted here?

[quote name='evilpenguin9000']Damn I could have been staying there rent free for two years. Only had to clean up one dead dude. Why wasn't that deal posted here?[/quote]
LoL

geeez two years withtout a notice? i was gone for two months and police cars came to my house cause of the neighbors .. but then again people were working on the roof and the car is still there.. its suspcious like i guess to them

An no one smelled anything at all? Decomposed body is NASTY... I speak from personal experience. We respond to several calls like that a year.

Wow, that's crazy. I wonder how much his pension was to cover all his expenses though.
If the electric company didn't notice electricity being used for two years, wonder why they didn't notice.

King NES: what's your line of work? Cop? Doctor? EMT?

For those that call BS, here is another story from the Winnipeg Sun.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/News/2004/08/28/605768.html

Told dead man gone
Advised he moved: Canada Post
By CARY CASTAGNA, POLICE REPORTER

A 52-year-old man -- who lay dead in the bed of his River Heights condominium for nearly two years -- stopped getting mail this month because his caretaker said he moved out, Canada Post says. "Why were we told a couple of weeks ago that he moved?" asked Brian Garagan, the Winnipeg-based Canada Post spokesman. "The caretaker told the letter carrier that this guy moved."

Jim Sulkers, who suffered from multiple sclerosis, was found mummified in his second-floor suite at 870 Cambridge St. on Wednesday after his father called police to check on his well-being.

Sulkers had died in his sleep on or some time after Nov. 21, 2002, according to Manitoba's chief medical examiner Dr. Thambirajah Balachandra.

Amazingly, through a series of circumstances, Sulkers' death -- which has been attributed to natural causes -- went unnoticed for 21 months.

First, Sulkers was a recluse. Long before his death, he stopped accepting phone calls or answering the door, his family said.

AUTOMATIC DEPOSITS, WITHDRAWALS

Also, Sulkers' disability cheques were automatically deposited into his bank account, while his condo fees and other bills were automatically withdrawn.

Instead of decomposing, Sulkers' body mummified or "dried up" in his well-sealed condo and there was no noticeable odour, according to Balachandra.

When his mail piled up in his first-floor panel mailbox, Sulkers' letter carrier bundled it up and took it back to the post office where it was eventually returned to sender.

But two weeks ago, when the mailman tried to deliver a registered letter to Sulkers, the resident manager allegedly told him Sulkers was no longer living there, Garagan said.

The superintendent, who lives on the first floor, and Winpark Dynasty Properties, which manages the nine-floor complex, have repeatedly refused comment.

'BREAKS MY HEART'

"That condo has so many elderly people that reside there, in my opinion, they should be more aware of what's going on in their building," said Sulkers' 22-year-old niece, Nicole Kurtz. "And to turn around and say, 'We don't care, we're getting our money,' that just breaks my heart."

Relatives will remember Sulkers, who would have turned 54 on Oct. 23, as "incredibly warm and loving," said his niece.

Sulkers worked in the City of Winnipeg's engineering department, taking early retirement in 1992 due to his illness.

Besides no longer answering the phone or the door before his death, Sulkers sold his car and motorized scooter and stopped leaving his apartment.

"It wasn't like he was pushing us away," Kurtz said. "We understood that he enjoyed to be by himself."

It got to the point where family members would set a warm dinner outside his door at Christmas.

"We'd come back half an hour later, and the food was gone," Kurtz said, adding her uncle became more and more reclusive.

"All of a sudden, our mail started coming back, and we thought it was the next step of his withdrawal."

Last October, relatives contemplated calling police to check on Sulkers.

"But we knew he didn't want that and we knew how embarrassed he would've been," Kurtz said. "In retrospect, we do feel very guilty."

[quote name='ex0']Kinda odd how not a single person would notice no lights on ever, mailbox always full, etc. Maybe a few weeks but years? Comon. Maybe this source isn't reliable as we think (Canadian Press?)[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, surely his newspapers would be piling up, the fact that his lights are always of (or on, if they were on when he died), and that his mail fills up the mailbox and goes all the way down to the end of the curb would give some sort of indication that something wrong.

[quote name='Moxio'][quote name='ex0']Kinda odd how not a single person would notice no lights on ever, mailbox always full, etc. Maybe a few weeks but years? Comon. Maybe this source isn't reliable as we think (Canadian Press?)[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, surely his newspapers would be piling up, the fact that his lights are always of (or on, if they were on when he died), and that his mail fills up the mailbox and goes all the way down to the end of the curb would give some sort of indication that something wrong.[/quote]

read both articles the second one explains alot.

[quote name='ex0']Kinda odd how not a single person would notice no lights on ever, mailbox always full, etc. Maybe a few weeks but years? Comon. Maybe this source isn't reliable as we think (Canadian Press?)[/quote]

Canadian press not reliable?

http://www.cp.org/english/hp.htm

thats like seeing Rueters or AP and saying...boy they make up alot of junk

The Canadian Press – at the heart of the Canadian media

The Canadian Press is Canada’s multimedia news agency. The CP wire is the source that Canada’s newsrooms turn to for breaking and developing news and unbiased, timely reporting on what is happening throughout Canada and around the world.

It is not only Canadian journalists who use this information. Anyone in Canada who reads a newspaper over breakfast, listens to a radio newscast on the drive home from work, watches the late night TV sports or surfs the Internet for entertainment reports is getting much of this news from The Canadian Press and its broadcasting division, Broadcast News.

CP and BN’s original reporting, from the desks of more than 200 journalists, is complemented by a news-sharing co-operative of more than 600 Canadian newsrooms and news agencies from around the world. This diverse cross-section of sources gives Canadians a news agency with local reach, a national and international perspective, and the ability to react 24 hours a day, seven days a week and 365 days a year.

Since its inception in 1917, CP has told the Canadian story. First established as a vehicle to allow distribution of The Associated Press to Canadian newspapers, the press barons of the day quickly came to see the advantages of pooling their own news. The challenges of covering a country like Canada, with six time zones and a small population, were too daunting for each newspaper to shoulder alone.

During the height of the First World War, when publishers were desperate to receive news of Canada's troops in Europe, CP was formed to get the news back to the home front by telegraph as well as provide bulletins from the country's capital, where many newspapers had no bureaus.

The modern-day CP is a computer-driven news service, co-operatively owned by some of Canada’s preeminent media companies. Those newspapers voluntarily contribute their own news and pictures to the service, giving CP the distinction of being the only major news agency in the world that relies so heavily on such contributions. CP staff compiles these reports to ensure that the important news of the day is covered and on the wires in time for deadlines that span six time zones.

CP also has its own reporters and photographers based in bureaus across the country. Add into this mix news stories contributed by the hundreds of radio and television stations that are clients of BN. The result is a Canadian news report that is unmatched for its depth, breadth, timeliness and diversity.

The CP report also includes international coverage, a compilation of material from CP reporters in Washington and London, an extensive network of stringers, reporter-editors on the World Desk in Toronto, and reports from The Associated Press.

A French-language service was established in 1951 and today provides news to broadcasters, newspapers and the Internet.

Broadcast News Ltd., a division of CP, provides service to about 500 private television and radio broadcasters. BN microphone flashes are a common sight at major events as material is collected for the hourly newscasts and other information programming.

Throughout its history, CP's goal has been to keep Canadians informed. CP tells people the story of their country, every day, in all forms and from all corners of the land. In the 21st century of the global village the stories of our nation are a cornerstone of who we are and will become.,

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='ex0']Kinda odd how not a single person would notice no lights on ever, mailbox always full, etc. Maybe a few weeks but years? Comon. Maybe this source isn't reliable as we think (Canadian Press?)[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, surely his newspapers would be piling up, the fact that his lights are always of (or on, if they were on when he died), and that his mail fills up the mailbox and goes all the way down to the end of the curb would give some sort of indication that something wrong.[/quote]

read both articles the second one explains alot.[/quote]

Still, getting mail for around 20 months is plain weird.

As for the smell, it says he mummified, not decomposed. Maybe he had the air conditioner running the whole time? Low humidity? I doubt it smelled like cotton candy, but it isn't as horrible as rotting away, I imagine.

Regarding the mummification/no smell issue:

Its actually quite possible for this to happen. The biggest thing that causes rot in dead bodies is moisture. People who have very little body moisture actually don't rot (at least in dry conditions.) Considering that he was in his 50s and sick, he almost certainly had much less water in his body than a normal healthy person. Plus, being sick, he probably had very low body fat, making it much easier for him to dry out without rotting.

In addition, its quite possible that in his final days, he was too sick to get out of bed, so its quite possible that he was alive several days without access to water, which would greatly decrease his body's water content even further. There's actually a group of monks who do something similar to this when they're old and believe they're going to die: they go into a cave and basically kill themselved by dehydration (slowly, over several months so that their body has time to give up as much water as it can.) The end result is almost always a mummified body (which they consider holy or some stupid thing.)

Another factor that would come in here would be the presence of air conditioning and/or dehumidifiers. After he was dead, if he had one of the above running, they'd remove even more moisture from the room as it evaporated from his body, and also kept his body protected from heat.

Overall, I'd say its quite possible.

[quote name='"ykryptonite13"']Wow, that's crazy. I wonder how much his pension was to cover all his expenses though.
If the electric company didn't notice electricity being used for two years, wonder why they didn't notice.

King NES: what's your line of work? Cop? Doctor? EMT?[/quote]

I am a Police Dispatch/Complaint Officer, I am also a certified EMD (emergency medical dispatcher) and 1st responder EMT.

[quote name='"Drocket"']Regarding the mummification/no smell issue:

Its actually quite possible for this to happen. The biggest thing that causes rot in dead bodies is moisture. People who have very little body moisture actually don't rot (at least in dry conditions.) Considering that he was in his 50s and sick, he almost certainly had much less water in his body than a normal healthy person. Plus, being sick, he probably had very low body fat, making it much easier for him to dry out without rotting.

In addition, its quite possible that in his final days, he was too sick to get out of bed, so its quite possible that he was alive several days without access to water, which would greatly decrease his body's water content even further. There's actually a group of monks who do something similar to this when they're old and believe they're going to die: they go into a cave and basically kill themselved by dehydration (slowly, over several months so that their body has time to give up as much water as it can.) The end result is almost always a mummified body (which they consider holy or some stupid thing.)

Another factor that would come in here would be the presence of air conditioning and/or dehumidifiers. After he was dead, if he had one of the above running, they'd remove even more moisture from the room as it evaporated from his body, and also kept his body protected from heat.

Overall, I'd say its quite possible.[/quote]

Thats very true indeed.

i'd hate to be the first person to walk into that room and find him.

"hey man, i just remembered that you owe me a few dollars, and i'm headed down to target right now, so do you think you could--HOLY MOTHER OF GOD"

bread's done
Back