Mario Galaxy ripsoff Ratchet and Clank?

vasco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The gameplay shown in the Mario 128 demo is very different than what is in the R&C games. It does seem that Mario Galaxy mimics it somewhat.

You know nothing for nothing but all these developers and people like Mark Rein talk about Nintendo as if to downplay them. I wish for once just one of these damn people\companies would put their money where there mouth is and put their shit out on a Nintendo console and go against the Big N. All we ever hear about is how third party games don't sell blah blah blah blah. If all these developers are so fucking talented they shouldn't have a hard time putting out a top notch game on a system with less power. The truth is they are all chicken shit and not as amazing as they make themselves out to be. I like Ratchet and Clank but I have a really hard time believing Miyamoto is looking for ideas for a Mario game in Ratchet and Clank :roll:

There were multiple spherical worlds in Sonic Adventure 2, back on the dreamcast. Except in that game they sucked, and I can only assume that Mario and R&C don't.

[quote name='jkam']You know nothing for nothing but all these developers and people like Mark Rein talk about Nintendo as if to downplay them. I wish for once just one of these damn people\companies would put their money where there mouth is and put their shit out on a Nintendo console and go against the Big N. All we ever hear about is how third party games don't sell blah blah blah blah. If all these developers are so fucking talented they shouldn't have a hard time putting out a top notch game on a system with less power. The truth is they are all chicken shit and not as amazing as they make themselves out to be.[/QUOTE]

That would be kind of hard, being a first party developer for the competition and all. :D

[quote name='rodeojones903']That would be kind of hard, being a first party developer for the competition and all. :D[/QUOTE]

I think Insomniac is actually more of a 2nd party but yeah I know it wouldn't happen. It's just most of these guys act like they all weren't influenced by Nintendo at some point.

I've actually heard this argument before, and so I went around and talked to people who had played the Ratchet & Clank sections in question.

They mentioned having to go up and disable satelites or something, and that worlds were too large for the spherical aspect of it to be significant, as opposed to having the entire game revolve around the concept at a whole spectrum of sizes.

[quote name='vasco'] ... Mario Galaxy is copying his game ideas of the spherical worlds. How it was done with Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal.[/QUOTE]

Because nobody's ever read The Little Prince except Insomniac employees.

the_little_prince.gif

*ahem*

[quote name='rodeojones903']The gameplay shown in the Mario 128 demo is very different than what is in the R&C games. It does seem that Mario Galaxy mimics it somewhat.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. By that standard ("the gameplay in Mario 128 is very different than the R&C games") it's a non-issue, since the gameplay in Mario Galaxy is very different from R&C as well, unless Nintendo is keeping Mario's huge number of upgradable guns under wraps.

[quote name='trq']

I don't know. By that standard ("the gameplay in Mario 128 is very different than the R&C games") it's a non-issue, since the gameplay in Mario Galaxy is very different from R&C as well, unless Nintendo is keeping Mario's huge number of upgradable guns under wraps.[/QUOTE]

By that I meant that on Mario 128 it still takes place on a flat surface. It was like playing on a kitchen table more than a planet. Mario Galaxy plays on a sphere exactly like the R&C sequences.

I don't see why it's a big deal if some ideas are the same as in Ratchet and Clank.

I mean, those games are fantastic so it's not like he's taking ideas (if he so happens to be using those ideas) from a bad game.

My question is: who cares?

Everyone will say something else, and to be perfectly honest, "jumping around in space on planets" isn't exactly the most original idea.

I've played Ratchet and Clank's "spherical worlds".

To start off, they were a minor aspect of the game. It was usually some "breaking the monotony" mission of some sort. Basically, you're usually a giant Clank who must usually destroy something in this world.

The viewing perspective is somewhat altered and I suppose the function of these "spherical worlds" was to allow some sort of slight strategy alterations. The environments in these worlds were very destructible. Essentially, you could end up running infinitely without ever catching up to your target. Of course, you'd have to be stupid.

This stage is essentially running on a ball whose structures can be demolished easily. There's nothing special about them and there are no other "spheres" to jump to and from.

Didn't one of the betas for "Sonic Xtreme" (Saturn) use spherical worlds for stages? I believe that it was a sort of "fisheye" view.

EDIT: Ah yes, here we are:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvS_beXtXk[/media]

[quote name='Cao Cao']Didn't one of the betas for "Sonic Xtreme" (Saturn) use spherical worlds for stages? I believe that it was a sort of "fisheye" view.

EDIT: Ah yes, here we are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvS_beXtXk[/QUOTE]

I never saw that before. That looks pretty cool..see? They could of made Sonic 3D and not had his games suck and be so different.

This has less to do with Insomniac really believing Super Mario Galaxy incorporated their ideas and more to do with trying to make themselves look good and feel better by bringing up Nintendo in the same sentence.

Well, I'm sure the ratchet & clank guy never copied any ideas from any other games and is flattered that everyone is copying the 3d person platforming genre that he created.

Plus, we can all thank gravity for the creation of spherical worlds, not game makers who fancy themselves as gods.

[quote name='InuFaye']Everyone Rips of Everyone. Its how the Industry grows.

/thread.[/quote]

Did you just try and make your post seem way too important and thread ending?
What a douchenozzle.
/THIS

[quote name='Kendro']This has less to do with Insomniac really believing Super Mario Galaxy incorporated their ideas and more to do with trying to make themselves look good and feel better by bringing up Nintendo in the same sentence.[/QUOTE]
It has more to do with people misinterpreting a quote to make news on a slow news day. It's no surprise that Nintendo blogs were the first to pick up on it.

If every developer tried to cut out every idea that had any resemblence to something someone else did before, our games would be very brief.

Who cares if some of the SMG developers learned something from the competition.. God knows Ratchet and Clank and about every other platformer out there is built upon the 3D platformer foundations Mario 64 created..

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Did you just try and make your post seem way too important and thread ending?
What a douchenozzle.
/THIS[/QUOTE]

I thought the same exact thing...

[quote name='trq']Because nobody's ever read The Little Prince except Insomniac employees.[/QUOTE]
This is what I came to say. Mario Galaxy borrows from Little Prince and as far as I can tell from screens is oblivious to R&C.

In the R&C "spherical" worlds (the battle bot and spherical stages), the horizon is so far off that it feels more like a typical stage than a tiny little individual spheroid. I suppose the battle bot sections are the one where the curvature is most apparent, but even then I don't see how that would be inspiration for SMG. Looking at SMG screens you're immediately reminded of the Little Prince in the setting, the scale, the color.

I don't know where Insomniac got their inspiration, but even if they dreamed it up on their own, they can't exactly claim to be reinventing the wheel here. The tiny spherical worlds is at least not what I'd consider a big concept--it's a nice start, but it won't make the game.

Doesn't matter anyhow as it's just some PR punk saying whatever comes into his head.

[quote name='banpeikun']wow, that demo of mario 128 is bizarre[/QUOTE]
And boring.

I couldn't tell what the point was besides they were trying to show 128 Mario's at once?

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Did you just try and make your post seem way too important and thread ending?
What a douchenozzle.
/THIS[/quote]

Because this conversation is stupid.

[quote name='InuFaye']Because this conversation is stupid.[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I thought...

...Until I realized the Geico gecko is an English gecko talking about car insurance in America.

Only support American car insurance companies people.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It has more to do with people misinterpreting a quote to make news on a slow news day. It's no surprise that Nintendo blogs were the first to pick up on it.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you're right. This was probably taken out of context, as I've heard their podcasts, and they seem like humble guys. This probably just like when Miyamoto supposedly said "he could make Halo if he wanted to," and eveyone blew it out of proportion.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't see what the big deal is... the guy said it in a good way, everyone else is making it sound bad.[/quote]

Sure he gave a compliment, but he also gave that compliemnt after giving his company "props" it doesnt deserve

LOL! My thing is that he said "they copied us", when everything else in their games was copied from something else (SM64). That's like x car company saying, psshhhhh, Ford is just copying us. Guess who invented the concept of a car. While it's true that in order for things to grow, we must innovate on copies of copies; but don't say it like you created it.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Sure he gave a compliment, but he also gave that compliemnt after giving his company "props" it doesnt deserve[/QUOTE]

How do you know they don't deserve it? Provide a link showing that no one from Nintendo was inspired or never played a R&C game. The R&C series is fantastic, and personally I think its better than every platformer that Nintendo has made since Mario 64 (which R&C is better than but we are talking about an 11 year old game).

[quote name='rodeojones903']How do you know they don't deserve it? Provide a link showing that no one from Nintendo was inspired or never played a R&C game. The R&C series is fantastic, and personally I think its better than every platformer that Nintendo has made since Mario 64 (which R&C is better than but we are talking about an 11 year old game).[/quote]
Because he says himself that although Galaxy has spherical worlds, it is completely different than what they did in Ratchet. So if the game plays completely differently, then they are basing the influence solely on the use of spherical worlds. Why would Insomniac think that Nintendo was influenced by them and not from a company like Sega who did spherical worlds first with Sonic?

When I hear "spherical worlds", I think of the boss fight with Raphael the Raven in Yoshi's Island.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2daul3dFzI[/MEDIA]

[quote name='orimental']When I hear "spherical worlds", I think of the boss fight with Raphael the Raven in Yoshi's Island.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This is the first thing I thought of when the first videos of Galaxy came out last year.

[quote name='DQT']I'm pretty sure you're right. This was probably taken out of context, as I've heard their podcasts, and they seem like humble guys. This probably just like when Miyamoto supposedly said "he could make Halo if he wanted to," and eveyone blew it out of proportion.[/quote]
Exactly.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Shiggy practically inspired most of the developers that are making games today in one way or another[/quote]

true that... and funny sig... is that the girl from harry potter?

bread's done
Back