Mario Kart 64 VC on 1/29/07!

[quote name='furyk']http://wii.ign.com/articles/757/757738p1.html

1000 points so no mysterious hike a'la R-Type. Yay for Mario Kart 64! Sure, the DS version is tons better, but Mario Kart 64 is a solid game. I tossed in a ton of time on the battle mode back in the day. It's a tempting potential download....[/quote]Am I the only one who thought MK64 was better than MKDS? Anywho I may or may not download it, I don't want to, but it is there and I have exactly 1000 wii points left and I love this game...

[quote name='rodeojones903']While I love the game, I think Ill be passing on this one.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people may pass on this one, but at very least, back to back big Nintendo releases!?!? Insanity!

[quote name='furyk']I think a lot of people may pass on this one, but at very least, back to back big Nintendo releases!?!? Insanity![/quote]I can probably guess SMW next week to get people into the Wii with the News channel release too. After that they have our asses for atleast a good month so that means crap shumps and more garbage and maybe streets of rage (maybe).

[quote name='onikage']I'd definitely be downloading this if online multiplayer was available. Maybe it will be eventually.[/quote]

I highly doubt it :(

Online multiplayer is almost an impossibility, seeing how these are pretty much running through straight-up emulation.

With that said, I somehow don't own a single Mario Kart game. I sort of want to hold out for the SNES original to show up on the VC, but I may bite on this one.

Awesome. I'm short on points leftover from the 2000 I got for the True.com signup, and don't really feel like buying more, but if I stumble into some for half price or less, I'll bite. MK64 is an awesome game.

o_O FINALLY a big title I'll actually pay for... LttP is nice, but I have it on GBA...

I can't waaaait for the desert stage, with the train... on my big screen! WOOHOO! Thanks OP! :D

I'll pick this one up for sure, I never owned SMK64 for the N64 since I owned Diddy Kong Racing. But block fort and using 4 wireless wavebirds makes it a no brainer buy.

I dunno, I think it's the second best Mario Kart (after DS), but I have it sitting in my N64 a few feet away, and I don't think people will be too jazzed to play it when we can all just pull out our DSes now. I really did love it for the multiplayer.

Sadly, I think I'm passing on this one.

Ok, now I'm excited.

Gimme Mario Party 1-3 at the end of February, begining of March and I'll be a very very happy guy :)

I will definitely get this game; it will look gorgeous in 480P and without the N64's blurovision effect.

Awesome news, but I have Double Dash and Mario Kart DS. Unless I can find an amazing points deal I'm going to have to pass.

[quote name='munch']Awesome news, but I have Double Dash and Mario Kart DS. Unless I can find an amazing points deal I'm going to have to pass.[/QUOTE]

64 owns Double Dash. DD is probably the worst game in the series, IMO.

[quote name='Corvin']64 owns Double Dash. DD is probably the worst game in the series, IMO.[/QUOTE]

I would give that distinction to the GBA version MK Super Circuit.

OF course, when talking worst Mario Kart game, you are still talking about a pretty damn fun game. None of them made me regret my purchase.

Although my girlfriend HATES Daisy if we play DD.

HI I'M DAISY!

I'm surprised by the amount of people who will pass up on one of the biggest AAA titles Nintendo could release, but I am like most of you and own this on my N64 that is still hooked up and even have it on my laptop for emulation that I hook up to my lcd tv. I'll still bite though since it's the 2nd n64 game to come out. If Star Fox 64 comes out I will be very happy.

[quote name='foltzie']
OF course, when talking worst Mario Kart game, you are still talking about a pretty damn fun game. None of them made me regret my purchase.

![/QUOTE]

That's true. None of them are truly bad, but Double Dash was just a huge letdown for me. The courses were too wide lessening the action and tight racing aspect. And the double character thing was definitely a gimmick and not necessary.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Am I the only one who thought MK64 was better than MKDS? Anywho I may or may not download it, I don't want to, but it is there and I have exactly 1000 wii points left and I love this game...[/QUOTE]
Well, I thought MKDS was a better game overall. But I thought MK64 had some of the best courses in the series.

About time Nintendo started releasing good games, now they just need to release more than one a week.

And MK64 is amazing, same with the SNES. The GBA one is good too, classic fun. The so called Mario Kart for the GC was... god... damn...

[quote name='Corvin']64 owns Double Dash. DD is probably the worst game in the series, IMO.[/QUOTE]
No. It is not. The play control in DD is without question sharper and more responsive than that of any other game in the series. Yes, DD has too many karts and the unnecessary "double" driver when it should instead have more tracks, maybe more/different weapons, a fresher multiplayer GP experience, and better in-game menus. However, it's still an outstanding game relative to the other MKs for the sake of a pure karting experience.

People want there to be a "best" MK and a "worst" MK, and simply because they've ignored DD because of the dumb second driver thing, they automatically designate DD as the "worst" MK. The second driver doesn't take anything away from the karting itself, and in that regard MKDD is my favorite in the series. That play control coupled with the comfort of the GC controller makes for good times.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Am I the only one who thought MK64 was better than MKDS?[/QUOTE]
If forced to choose between the two, I prefer MKDS for the sake of all the tracks and the detail put into the tracks, but I would rather play MK64 simply because my hands still can't get used to the DS controls. I think a good karter starts with play control, and for that reason MKDS has been hard for me to get behind. I still think it's a terrific game, it's just a shame that I can't play it with a GC-type controller.

Yeah I like MKDD the most. Followed by MK64 and then MKDS. I dunno why but I prefer a joystick rather than the dpad for control and MKDS seemed kinda bland to me.

for me, the Mode 7 Mario Karts are almost unplayable. I have issues with Fzero too for that reason.

My heirarch would be MK:DS being the clear winnder, followed closesly by 64, then dd, the SC, lastly the original. The origianl was cool for its ideas and what came from it, but it is, by far, the least of the Mario Karts.

[quote name='David85']About time Nintendo started releasing good games, now they just need to release more than one a week.
[/quote]
Nintendo would never compete with itself by releasing 2+ good games a week.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Nintendo would never compete with itself by releasing 2+ good games a week.[/QUOTE]

Well what I'm thinknig is either doing one classic game say Mario World for $8 and then some shity NES game called... oh Pinball for a discount price of $1, that way you have two games. Maybe 2 $5 NES games a week. Hell even releasing a good game a week is hard for Nitnendo.

I came scanning through this thread hoping to see something about N making super cool changes to this game offering us some online multi. Sigh... I know it was a fools hope but I really think they would get their money back in purchases had they dropped the R&D into making this VC game pull through with some multi via the net. Bla well I guess I will pass on yet another VC game. I am starting to think I will never bother buying one of those pnts cards.

[quote name='BREVITY']I really think they would get their money back in purchases had they dropped the R&D into making this VC game pull through with some multi via the net.[/QUOTE]

Ah, but they get more money if they release it now as-is, then later "discover" a way to allow online multi-player... ;)

[quote name='BREVITY']I came scanning through this thread hoping to see something about N making super cool changes to this game offering us some online multi. Sigh... I know it was a fools hope but I really think they would get their money back in purchases had they dropped the R&D into making this VC game pull through with some multi via the net. Bla well I guess I will pass on yet another VC game. I am starting to think I will never bother buying one of those pnts cards.[/quote]If they were going to do it, there strategy is simple, they release the classics now, but then add in the online mode for an extra 500 Wii points, because face it 1500 for a MK64 online, eh. Now 1000 wii points then add in online for 500 wiipoints later, well now you might bite because well mario kart is getting boring.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If they were going to do it, there strategy is simple, they release the classics now, but then add in the online mode for an extra 500 Wii points, because face it 1500 for a MK64 online, eh. Now 1000 wii points then add in online for 500 wiipoints later, well now you might bite because well mario kart is getting boring.[/QUOTE]

That's not going to happen. They're either going to save online for the inevitable Mario Kart Wii (most likely), or they're going to make you buy the whole damn thing again, with online functionality (though I doubt even that will happen).

[quote name='Blind the Thief']That's not going to happen. They're either going to save online for the inevitable Mario Kart Wii (most likely), or they're going to make you buy the whole damn thing again, with online functionality (though I doubt even that will happen).[/quote]I wouldn't be so sure. Granted, I'm not holding my breath, but the "Update" button featured in the FAQ for the VC mentions that it can be used for fixes or updates to the game, that some would be free and other might cost some points.

I'd imagine that tweaks in the emulation would be free, while possible updates to the game in terms of graphics or features would cost some cash... er.... points.

[quote name='dothog']No. It is not. The play control in DD is without question sharper and more responsive than that of any other game in the series. Yes, DD has too many karts and the unnecessary "double" driver when it should instead have more tracks, maybe more/different weapons, a fresher multiplayer GP experience, and better in-game menus. However, it's still an outstanding game relative to the other MKs for the sake of a pure karting experience.

People want there to be a "best" MK and a "worst" MK, and simply because they've ignored DD because of the dumb second driver thing, they automatically designate DD as the "worst" MK. The second driver doesn't take anything away from the karting itself, and in that regard MKDD is my favorite in the series. That play control coupled with the comfort of the GC controller makes for good times.
[/QUOTE]

I never said the second driver made it a shitty game. I said it was unnecessary, my problem is the tracks. They are too wide to give a sense of speed or challenge. You can easily get past a rival without even getting close to them on the track. That makes the game boring. Play control is a non-issue. You could have the best controls in the history of gaming, but if the tracks are boring and uninspired it wouldn't matter.

[quote name='Corvin']I never said the second driver made it a shitty game. I said it was unnecessary, my problem is the tracks. They are too wide to give a sense of speed or challenge. You can easily get past a rival without even getting close to them on the track. That makes the game boring. Play control is a non-issue. You could have the best controls in the history of gaming, but if the tracks are boring and uninspired it wouldn't matter.[/quote]
I've only played MK64 a couple of times on my friend's 64 (pretty much the only 64 games I had were zelda's - which is coincidentally the only reason I bought the system) so I don't really know much about the gameplay on that one...

I really enjoy MK: DD though - and the two driver thing is a blast multiplayer - a friend of mine and I played through the entire game together co-op multiplayer and she'd stay in back doing all the weapons while I drove us around and passed her weapons. The teamwork aspect was very cool. Our fun from the game would have been a LOT less had it been versus only - I'd have won 90% of the time and she'd have gotten frustrated and quit.

So... the dual driver thing isn't just a gimmick - it allows for a unique multiplayer experence that would otherwise be missing.

Back to the topic though - I think I'll play my friend's MK64 cart for a bit before deciding to buy this.

[quote name='Corvin']...my problem is the tracks. They are too wide to give a sense of speed or challenge. You can easily get past a rival without even getting close to them on the track. That makes the game boring. Play control is a non-issue. You could have the best controls in the history of gaming, but if the tracks are boring and uninspired it wouldn't matter.[/QUOTE]
If wide tracks are an issue, then I don't see MK64 necessarily doing things better than MKDD. There's no doubt that MKDD gives drivers more wide stretches to allow for passing than MK64, but I think suggesting MKDD's tracks are "boring and uninspired" is too emphatic by half. It suggests to me that maybe you didn't play the game as much as you should have to make big statements like "play control is a non-issue." With those kinds of blanket statements, you'd make a terrific game reviewer for IGN.

I liked the dual driver thing for caching weapons. For a game that most people complain has little depth, that added a lot. If you gave up on it before you mastered switching them strategically, then maybe you wouldn't see any value. Of course it's not necessary, but I think it enhanced it.

Also, MK64's tracks are soooooo long. I liked them at the time, but DD's are much better I think.

[quote name='dothog']If wide tracks are an issue, then I don't see MK64 necessarily doing things better than MKDD. There's no doubt that MKDD gives drivers more wide stretches to allow for passing than MK64, but I think suggesting MKDD's tracks are "boring and uninspired" is too emphatic by half. It suggests to me that maybe you didn't play the game as much as you should have to make big statements like "play control is a non-issue." With those kinds of blanket statements, you'd make a terrific game reviewer for IGN.[/QUOTE]

lol

I played more than enough DD, it was fun, just not as fun as 64 or some of the other games in the series. That's all I'm saying.

bread's done
Back