Mario Kart Double Dash vs Mario Kart Wii

[quote name='KingBroly']Pretty much this. They didn't balance the game for 12 players. Players 1-8 are balanced for Double Dash. Now take that, and add 4 more players with 8th place item drops. That is the problem.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly it. In the old games, 8th (last) place got the killer powerups. In MKWii, the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th place players all get those last place powerups. So every time they run over a question block, they are getting a blue shell, lightning bolt, or one of the other top tier powerups.

Also with 12 racers, by the 3rd lap it looks like a semi truck carrying a load of bananas overturned on the highway.

[quote name='Zing']I also just noticed that MKDD has LAN support![/QUOTE]
I used this set-up a LOT when the game came out. We did 4 player (2 kart) vs. and it was always a blast.

[quote name='sinkingships']I always liked double dash's idea of having two drivers with two different powerups.[/QUOTE]

The teamwork part of that game was pretty awesome. One person whose job it was just to shoot people and slam around with the sideways shunts? Very cool.

the 150 cc cup in MKWii is really pissing me off. I lead the entire race by half a lap until I almost finish the race...then cometh the blue shell, followed by lightning, and then 3 - 4 red shells and BAM! 8th place finish.

can't wait till I receive my wireless GCN controllers so I can finally play my DD

I actually saw this on another site and it reminded me of this thread.

2004fx2.jpg

[quote name='tsmvengy']

64 is the worst Mario Kart game. That's right, I said it! All of the other iterations, including Super Mario Kart, are better.[/QUOTE]
reading this poppycock hurt my soul

[quote name='iPlayConsoles']the 150 cc cup in MKWii is really pissing me off. I lead the entire race by half a lap until I almost finish the race...then cometh the blue shell, followed by lightning, and then 3 - 4 red shells and BAM! 8th place finish.

can't wait till I receive my wireless GCN controllers so I can finally play my DD[/QUOTE]
yeah I heard you can only beat MKWii's 150cc if lady luck is on your side, big time

[quote name='Chronis']I actually saw this on another site and it reminded me of this thread.

2004fx2.jpg
[/QUOTE]
ROFL, perfect!

[quote name='iPlayConsoles']the 150 cc cup in MKWii is really pissing me off. I lead the entire race by half a lap until I almost finish the race...then cometh the blue shell, followed by lightning, and then 3 - 4 red shells and BAM! 8th place finish.

can't wait till I receive my wireless GCN controllers so I can finally play my DD[/QUOTE]

The best way to win in MKWii is to hang around in 3rd or 4th place until halfway thru the last lap. Then go for broke. With luck, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd place racers will get blue shell raped and you can zoom past them and take the lead right at the finish.

It's sad that the game is soo broken that this is the best strategy to win. It's like they never rewrote the code for powerup distribution to account for 4 extra racers.

My girlfriend and I got gold medals in all of the circuits on Mario Kart Wii the summer after it came out and it was hard but not as bad as everyone here is saying.

Get Mario Kart DD if you actually play balloon battle mode with your friends. Mario kart wii has terrible battle modes, there's no standard ballon battle mode found in all the old Mario karts!!! WTF Nintendo!! they're replaced with this shitty points system where no one dies. So disappoint with the Wii version.

I had no trouble with getting star rank on every circuit except for a few tracks on mirror mode (bowser's castle was one). I don't remember it having anything to do with items, either.

Now, online, that is where you get raped. My favorite thing to do when I was a noob faced with high rated players was to pick Luigi's Circuit. The race is so luck based, it hurts. It helped balance out the fact that these players were picking Rainbow Road every fucking time.

I enjoyed the levels better in double dash (it had the best rainbow road). However DD is way too slow. There is no speed in the game.

Mario Kart Wii has better mechanics, but more straight forward game play. It takes no risks other than the wii control scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently working on getting gold in the 150cc cups, and it's pretty fun, but I find it has roughly the same item luck as Mario Kart Wii. I still sometimes get hit by 2 blue shells in a single race. Red shells up the ass, and it is harder to avoid them since you can't drag bananas or shells behind you (I actually like this change). The controls are far more sluggish than any other Mario Kart game, making it hard to avoid the flood of fake item boxes and bananas.

Overall, I find that it has a good balance of luck and skill, but the tracks are far too simplistic.

The other thing about DD that is better than Wii is that because the characters have customer attacks things get really personal. I mean, I know for certain when Luigi has ruined my day versus diddy kong.

It makes it a lot more fun when you are in a position to get revenge.

Daisy Cruiser is frustrating. Once I fall behind, there is no catching up. I hit one table or something and it's over.

I notice that the computer controlled heavy karts have super acceleration. I hit one with a shell or something, pass it, and they are able to immediately pull ahead of me. Fun.

[quote name='nbballard']The other thing about DD that is better than Wii is that because the characters have customer attacks things get really personal. I mean, I know for certain when Luigi has ruined my day versus diddy kong.

It makes it a lot more fun when you are in a position to get revenge.[/QUOTE]
That's what I hated about the games, those stupid giant banana's taking up half the course where so retarded.

I'd say the wii version is way better, but both versions have crappy battle modes.

Playing 150cc and being in the lead is a death trap. One race I got hit with three blue shells. One of those hits was followed by two red shells in a row. The next race in the circuit, I got hit with three blue shells again.

Whoever it was at Nintendo that thought it was "fair" to have the players in last place be able to randomly determine the outcome of the first few positions can suck my nuts.

Also, I noticed a bug (feature?) where karts that are currently going through the "i crashed into a fake item box or hit by a shell" animation are not affected by the lightning bolt. Yeah. It's really fair that the dude in 1st place gets to stay big and drive off into the sunset simply because the lightning happened to hit the same time as my red shell.

[quote name='Zing']Playing 150cc and being in the lead is a death trap. One race I got hit with three blue shells. One of those hits was followed by two red shells in a row. The next race in the circuit, I got hit with three blue shells again.

Whoever it was at Nintendo that thought it was "fair" to have the players in last place be able to randomly determine the outcome of the first few positions can suck my nuts.

Also, I noticed a bug (feature?) where karts that are currently going through the "i crashed into a fake item box or hit by a shell" animation are not affected by the lightning bolt. Yeah. It's really fair that the dude in 1st place gets to stay big and drive off into the sunset simply because the lightning happened to hit the same time as my red shell.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Zero_Kirby']I loved Double Dash!! I like MKWii but the A.I can be cheap[/QUOTE]

I think you only start to notice because in the 50cc and 100cc you're basically just pressing the Go button and trying to make it around the track. In mirror mode the computer is actively trying to get you. I can't count the number of times I got hit by someone with a star.

I thought the game was hard until I played online. Those guys are way more clever than the computer. Real simple stuff like putting a fake question block right where the normal ones sit, or sitting one right before a jump so you fall in the water.

It took me forever to beat this game but it was so rewarding when I did. I have not played Double Dash. I bought a Wii after playing this game in the store. The motion controls IMO are genius. They took what all of us were doing (turning the controller as we turned) and made that the control method.

bread's done
Back