Mario & Luigi: BIS $14.96 at Walmart

Hmm... A Mario DS game. Definitely something my son would be interested in. The only downside I see is that it seems to require a lot of reading. My son is 5 and he hasn't gotten far enough along with that yet.

The Mario & Luigi games seem to quietly go out of print and up in price. Plus it's a good game. I'd say definitely pick up.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Hmm... A Mario DS game. Definitely something my son would be interested in. The only downside I see is that it seems to require a lot of reading. My son is 5 and he hasn't gotten far enough along with that yet.[/QUOTE]

The dialogue is wacky at best. I'm not very far in the game but it does require an awful lot of reading (not that reading is a bad thing). But it brings the gameplay down to a crawl and IMHO it takes away from the gameplay but then again I"m not a huge RPG fan

[quote name='morrodox']The Mario & Luigi games seem to quietly go out of print and up in price. Plus it's a good game. I'd say definitely pick up.[/QUOTE]

It is ordered. Unfortunately, the closest Walmart to my house doesn't have it in stock, so I'll have to pick it up from one of the ones on my way home from work.

[quote name='morrodox']The Mario & Luigi games seem to quietly go out of print and up in price. Plus it's a good game. I'd say definitely pick up.[/QUOTE]
This applies to nearly all "good" DS games. The print runs just aren't as big as console titles.

[quote name='GBAstar']The dialogue is wacky at best. I'm not very far in the game but it does require an awful lot of reading (not that reading is a bad thing). But it brings the gameplay down to a crawl and IMHO it takes away from the gameplay but then again I"m not a huge RPG fan[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. This is an issue with all of the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games. The only one that has an equal balance of dialog and gameplay is Super Mario RPG on the SNES.

It is a sad day when people complain about too much reading on a video game. You are acting like it is War and Peace. A couple of hundred lines in a video game is not "too much" reading.

I haven't played the others. Does the story flow or are they standalone? Thinking about jumping on this to add to my ds rpg collection.

[quote name='sylveranking']It is a sad day when people complain about too much reading on a video game. You are acting like it is War and Peace. A couple of hundred lines in a video game is not "too much" reading.[/QUOTE]

The difference is when you are reading a novel, all of the reading you do contributes to the story.

When playing a Mario & Luigi game, all of the reading contributes almost nothing to the story and is just a bunch of puns, sight gags, fart jokes, etc.

[quote name='sylveranking']It is a sad day when people complain about too much reading on a video game. You are acting like it is War and Peace. A couple of hundred lines in a video game is not "too much" reading.[/QUOTE]

In my case, I was talking about giving this to a 5 year old who hasn't quite mastered reading yet. It is an important thing when you are talking about kids and their level of enjoyment based on their ability to read.

I'm getting it anyways, tho I don't know if this will be a birthday gift next month, or if this will wait until Christmas, when he probably should have the hang of it.

[quote name='PotatoGuy']I haven't played the others. Does the story flow or are they standalone? Thinking about jumping on this to add to my ds rpg collection.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they don't have the same story line. Not 100% sure about that though.

[quote name='baz8771']I sincerely don't get the joke sadaku.[/QUOTE]

"Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, known as Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (マリオ&ルイージRPG3!!! Mario ando Ruīji Ārupījī Surī?) in Japan, is a role-playing video game developed by AlphaDream and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS handheld game console in 2009. It is the third game in the Mario and Luigi RPG series, following Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.
The game's plot is unrelated to that of its predecessors, and involves Mario and Luigi being shrunken and inhaled into the body of their nemesis, Bowser."

"Inside Ralphie" Germs Lawrence Jacobs John May, Jocelyn Stevenson September 24, 1994
It's broadcast day and the class needs Ralphie. The trouble is that he's sick, so his mother, a doctor, won't let him go to school. When Ms. Frizzle says that there is an amazing battle going on inside him, the class decides broadcast day should be about whatever is making Ralphie sick.
After shrinking to find out what's going on inside Ralphie, the white blood cells sees the bus as a threat and attempt to devour it.

BONUS ALTERNATE VIDEO REVIEW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLAbTbGQcr8

This is true. I got mine for $20 (I think) a couple weeks after it released at Toys R Us for that exact reason. $15 is an excellent price to scoop this up at.

Thanks OP, picked up a copy. Really enjoyed Superstar Saga and Partners in Time. The games have great humour. I normally don't play RPGs with turn based combat but the universe and the battle mechanics which actually involve some skill in defense and attack make this very enjoyable. These can be looked as spiritual members of the Paper Mario series.

@sadakou - To keep the theme going, here's another review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o8vsU0Dw-4

@TheLongshot - I don't think the games will be too difficult from someone trying to learn to read. The visuals are usually a bit exaggerated for comedic effect and help move the game along. It might even help with your child's learning and interest in reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PotatoGuy']I haven't played the others. Does the story flow or are they standalone? Thinking about jumping on this to add to my ds rpg collection.[/QUOTE]

It's 'standalone.'

The main villain is a mainstay from the first two games in the series and there are a few bits and minor references to the first two but you can easily enjoy the game without having played the others.

That said, after recent replays of all three I am of the opinion that the first (the GBA title) is the strongest, followed closely by BIS with Partners in Time being a distant third.

I tried to order it from the store closest to my house and an hour later I got a message that it was cancelled and my money refunded. I guess I'm going to try another store by work.

I beat this game a few months ago and I loved it. I even picked up an extra copy to keep sealed.

[quote name='Optical']I tried to order it from the store closest to my house and an hour later I got a message that it was cancelled and my money refunded. I guess I'm going to try another store by work.[/QUOTE]

This happened to me also.

Out of all the Mario games I've played through entirety, Superstar Sega has sucked up the most of my time. It ties with 64 and Galaxy for me. How's Boswer's compared to that?

[quote name='Blabadon']Out of all the Mario games I've played through entirety, Superstar Sega has sucked up the most of my time. It ties with 64 and Galaxy for me. How's Boswer's compared to that?[/QUOTE]
I put something like 25 hours into this game, but it probably would have been closer to 30 if I hadn't started avoiding a lot of the random battles.

[quote name='Blabadon']Out of all the Mario games I've played through entirety, Superstar Sega has sucked up the most of my time. It ties with 64 and Galaxy for me. How's Boswer's compared to that?[/QUOTE]

I played Superstar Saga, skipped Partners in Time, and picked up Bowser's Inside Story last year. It's easily one of my favorite DS games and RPG in general. The touch screen segments aren't fantastic, but there aren't too many of them. The combat system is slick as usual, the dialogue is funny, and the overall presentation is phenomenal. I can't recommend it enough, especially at this price.

Bowser's Inside Story is the best Mario & Luigi game. Well, except for the fact that
the final dungeon is literally half of the game

Ended up picking this up after having to go to walmart for something else and seeing it for $35. Made the deal seem that much better.

[quote name='KtMack23']Howd you guys get this in store? I went and it was $35 and they wouldn't match their website! :([/QUOTE]

Go to the item on the website. Select "Check Store Availability". Select a store in your area that has it in stock. Then you can place the order online and pick it up at the store when they notify you that your order is ready.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Go to the item on the website. Select "Check Store Availability". Select a store in your area that has it in stock. Then you can place the order online and pick it up at the store when they notify you that your order is ready.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! But now I can't find my wallet...

EDIT: Found It! :) Order placed

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP! Bought this from Best Buy for almost $35 a couple weeks ago. Never opened it so I'm returning it tomorrow and picking this one up from Walmart. Saves me ~$16.

Huh. They cancelled my order. Even though the site says they have it in stock for store pick-up, they cancelled it claiming the item was unavailable. Should I just try a different store or is there something wrong with this deal?

[quote name='Killerlampshade']Huh. They cancelled my order. Even though the site says they have it in stock for store pick-up, they cancelled it claiming the item was unavailable. Should I just try a different store or is there something wrong with this deal?[/QUOTE]

They probably discovered they didn't have any copies, so I'd try a different store.

[quote name='TheLongshot']They probably discovered they didn't have any copies, so I'd try a different store.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I was able to snag it from a different store. Awesome!

I'm still amazed at how far behind walmart is when it comes to their website and their store matching up. I imagine they have to deal with that on an almost daily basis at every store in the country; people look up prices online when shopping around and then go to the store with the cheapest to buy; but at walmart the prices almost never match up and they refuse to price match it (even when it is available on the site for an in-store pickup). It is actually impressive how backwards it all is.

Made an order for this the first day it was posted; order got canceled because it was "out of stock" at the location I picked, figured ok whatever. Go there tonight to get some food and what do I see? Not one but TWO copies sitting in the display case mocking me with their $34.xx price sticker! Will be placing another order; if this one is "out of stock" as well I might just go in and ask what the problem is.

bread's done
Back