Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS3/360) $49.99 at Amazon

They're matching BB I guess, I think I can wait for it to be cheaper, or wait for the "Super" Edition with extra characters etc.

thanks for the heads up about BB! i've been waiting for this to go on sale there so i can use my RZ coupon...

[quote name='benjamouth']They're matching BB I guess, I think I can wait for it to be cheaper, or wait for the "Super" Edition with extra characters etc.[/QUOTE]

There won't be a "Super' edition to this game. The VS game never recieved any and the license deal was only for 1 game.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']There won't be a "Super' edition to this game. The VS game never recieved any and the license deal was only for 1 game.[/QUOTE]

you sure about that? Because this game is basically unfinished IMO. For chrisake they had 2 dlc characters right outa the gate. I am not a fan of DLC, espeically when they nickel and dime you for it in stuff like fighting games

couple that with the pathetic and non existant story mode and a training mode that would have felt dated 10 years ago and you got a big pile of 'meh' I may wind up just passing on this if it doesn't get a fixed 'super' edition. At the very least its worth waiting for it to go

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']There won't be a "Super' edition to this game. The VS game never recieved any and the license deal was only for 1 game.[/QUOTE]

There's a first time for everything. A new license could easily be drawn up if there's enough money to be made.

It'll be interesting to see if Capcom ends up releasing SF4: Arcade Edition as a retail disc after Ono made all those comments about how Super SF4 would likely be the final disc-based version. They haven't even gone so far as to make a similar guarantee for MvC3.

[quote name='Kenshindono']you sure about that? Because this game is basically unfinished IMO. For chrisake they had 2 dlc characters right outa the gate. I am not a fan of DLC, espeically when they nickel and dime you for it in stuff like fighting games

couple that with the pathetic and non existant story mode and a training mode that would have felt dated 10 years ago and you got a big pile of 'meh' I may wind up just passing on this if it doesn't get a fixed 'super' edition. At the very least its worth waiting for it to go

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Unfinished?
Pathetic Story mode?
Lackluster training mode?

You've just described practically every Marvel game Capcom ever made (except for possibly the SNES brawlers). Possibly every fighter they ever made. The difference is now info is more readily available and it's really easy to see what did or did not make it into the game.[/QUOTE]

errr yes, and when did the last MVC come out? 10 friggin years ago. Games have evolved since then, the fact that they felt they could just get lazy with those aspects of the game is just weak and has kept me from picking the game up. Look how many improvments say, Arc System works made with guilty gear over to the current Blazblue games? or Virtual fighters awesome training modes.

MVC was just half assed. Even reviewers that liked the game chimed in on how lame it was that characters didn't even have their own unique story modes, or how useless the training mode challenges are. I really hope they release a proper, complete version of this game. If not i'll probably only pick it up when it inevitably drops

Oh it gets better (the lazy aspects) and obvious the more you play. I actually agree with you and I really don't like this game (it's easy money at local tournies, that's why I play), I just think the game gets hated on in the wrong areas.

Their already money grabbing with the DLC characters now. They only sold a lil over 1 million copies and MK is 3 weeks away.
Capcom lost a lot with bionic commando/dark void/lost planet 2 time to make some of it back.
They already did this with RE 5 gold edition & SSFIV. I could definitely see a "complete" edition in late 2011 if they add 10+ characters a $50 price point would be worth it & pretty much renergize the game.

Current sales total:
http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals...sole=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total

i didn't think people seriously expect fighting games to have anything resembling a story. I can’t recall any fighting game that had a real plot or anything resembling a great story in the last 10 years.

Usually, the “story” to most fighting games is there's just a fighting tournament going on (street fighter, mortal kombat) or a group of fighters must band together and fight in a tournament to stop another group from doing something evil (sf and mk again, tekken, mk vs dc, etc.).

Buy a rpg or adventure game if you want a story. you’ll be seriously disappointed if you’re buying a fighting game expecting some kind of story.

Marvel 3 gets ragged for it's lack of story mode mainly because Capcom was hyping it as having 'the most robust story mode in a fighter' and it didn't come close to delivering.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Oh it gets better (the lazy aspects) and obvious the more you play. I actually agree with you and I really don't like this game (it's easy money at local tournies, that's why I play), I just think the game gets hated on in the wrong areas.[/QUOTE]

lol what other areas are there? i listed the reasons i dislike it. I havent played it but im assuming the actual fighting is relatively fun? hopefully?

Enuf's right, i knew they were gonna rape you for DLC characters.. i cant stand DLC, especially in something like a fighting game. at most you should have DLC for costumes or alternate skins.. not whole new characters. That unbalances the game for people who dont shell out for that

@ the story comment. That argument always bugs the hell outa me. Why cant a fighting game have a story? Blazblue has a strange and convoluded one, but its pretty intricate and involved. At the very least they should have unique stories for each character in story mode. My understanding is this game has the same generic story for most of the characters with a static screen ending for most o_O

Like strider says they had kinda hyped a decent story here and it was so not

[quote name='Kenshindono']
Enuf's right, i knew they were gonna rape you for DLC characters.. i cant stand DLC, especially in something like a fighting game. at most you should have DLC for costumes or alternate skins.. not whole new characters. That unbalances the game for people who dont shell out for that
[/QUOTE]

so true costumes and arenas only. But I see it getting alot worse...DLC for specific "special" moves that will be important to each character. MK for instance, DLC fatalities & new stages that offer fatalities.

Companies know fighting games won't sell like FPS's so they can offset this buy making a $60 game $80-$100 w/endless DLC. Or people buying the $60 game at launch, then the $40-$50 complete edtion & finally the $30 GH's complete edition. Dragon Age anyone? $60 game, $40 expansion, $60 UE.
Makes more sense to just offer a complete DLC edition day 1 for $75-$80 and leave it at that.

A game like MVC3 with say 90-100 characters...30 avail. to play from the start, 20 unlockable ones and the other 50 avail in 5 DLC packs at $5 ea. that could be next for MVC4 "fate of the consoles" "I'm gonna take u for a ride"
Well this will take your wallet for a ride.

[quote name='Enuf']Companies know fighting games won't sell like FPS's so they can offset this buy making a $60 game $80-$100 w/endless DLC.[/QUOTE]This trend towards upsetting the balance with DLC characters has had the exact opposite effect for me -- it actually decreases my motivation to give these companies my money. I was really interested in the MK reboot and MvC3 until they announced the DLC plans. Fighting games were typically one of the few genres I'd pay full price for. Now I'm forced to either wait for the games to drop to $20 so I can afford the DLC or wait for a "Super" edition.

I'll be really interested to see what the final tally ends up being for all the DLC characters in MvC3 & MK9.

Thrinn
the only way I can see the DLC situation working out financially for gamers & game companies would be if they offer a $40-$50 new bare bones release that would req. $20-$30 in DLC to complete the game along with the $75-$80 complete edition with timed unlocks for the DLC on the disk. That way people who don't want the DLC don't feel ripped for getting part of the game since their not paying full price & people who love the genre/game will get everything up front but pay less overall than buying all the DLC individually. I don't think anyones a fan of micro transactions on non MMO's.

I waited 10 years for this scrubified mess. Press 4 buttons and then get hit once for a full life combo. Owell, back to MvC2

Remember when games used to release for this price and you actually got the full game? Not just some game gutted for later DLC, but the full game?

There will be a "Super", "Ultra" , "Mega" (or whatever they call it) edition of this game with all the DLC characters, hidden characters unlocked, training mode, new mini-games, etc. This is a no brainer from a financial perspective. I will wait for that version 10 months from now.

[quote name='topplehat']Remember when games used to release for this price and you actually got the full game? Not just some game gutted for later DLC, but the full game?[/QUOTE]

I remember Capcom asking gamers to pay buy multiple iterations of Street Fighter 2 on the SNES which were essentially nothing more than $60-80 DLC packs for a pack of four new characters. And you know what? At the time I gladly bought those upgrades. I guess in comparison if they release $40 worth of DLC characters for MvC3 then Capcom could be viewed as being "less evil" than they use to be. The DLC and balance patches also keep the modern fighters from getting old without having to buy whole new version.

Bleh, I don't know how to feel about the whole issue. :whistle2:|

How Capcom Milks the same game over and over. No other company has done this:

Resident Evil 5 has 2 versions, the regular version and the "gold" version

Street Fighter 4 has 3 versions, the regular version, the "super" version, and the upcoming "arcade" version

looking at Capcom's past practices of relentlessly milking their games there is a 95% chance that Marvel vs Capcom 3 will have a second version released in late 2011 or early 2012. it will probably be called Marvel vs Capcom 3: "Hyper" Edition.

if you bought MvC3 at launch. then i laugh at you. if you buy the MvC3 Hyper edition then ill laugh at you even harder. its so funny how easily Capcom tricks and scams most people, worse than Activision or THQ.

im a CAG and i hate Capcom's cheating scamming thieving business practices. ill buy this game on Black Friday 2011 for $14.99 on an Amazon Lighting Deal.

end of story.:applause::applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='HORSEBORSE']How Capcom Milks the same game over and over. No other company has done this:

Resident Evil 5 has 2 versions, the regular version and the "gold" version

Street Fighter 4 has 3 versions, the regular version, the "super" version, and the upcoming "arcade" version

looking at Capcom's past practices of relentlessly milking their games there is a 95% chance that Marvel vs Capcom 3 will have a second version released in late 2011 or early 2012. it will probably be called Marvel vs Capcom 3: "Hyper" Edition.

if you bought MvC3 at launch. then i laugh at you. if you buy the MvC3 Hyper edition then ill laugh at you even harder. its so funny how easily Capcom tricks and scams most people, worse than Activision or THQ.

im a CAG and i hate Capcom's cheating scamming thieving business practices. ill buy this game on Black Friday 2011 for $14.99 on an Amazon Lighting Deal.

end of story.:applause::applause::applause::applause:[/QUOTE]

re5 gold edition is a poor example, since it is just the regular game with all the dlc packs included. How is it any different than any other game that has released a GOTY edition with all dlc included?

Activision and ea are just as bad as capcom how dare they continue to make sports titles and call of duty games with minor improvements in order to make more money.

seems like your argument is that games or anything else for that matter shouldn't have sequels or improvements because it is a scam for companies to milk the same shit over and over again to make more money. So fuck apple for making so many reiterations of ipod and now iphone and ipad. fuck you Hollywood for making sequels to movies. fuck you computer industry for always coming up with better technology and trying to make people upgrade. fuck microsoft for even thinking about developing windows 8!

Newer versions of ipad or windows comes with upgrades and improvements (or downgrades such as windows vista). The upgrades could be perhaps memory size or whatever.

But newer editions of games are basically the same game with additional contents. Not so much improvements. RE5 and RE5 gold are same game except one includes the dlcs. Mechanics are the same, controls are the same etc

Sequels of a game on the other hand, are often vastly different from the previous installment.

did i say i hate SEQUALS? NO i did NOT say i hate SEQUALS. RE5 GOLD is NOT a SEQUAL to RE5. its the SAME game. SSF4 is NOT a SEQUAL to SF4. it is the SAME game.

CALL OF DUTY does NOT make "minor" improvements. it is a TOTALLY different game every time and ACTUALLY a SEQUAL. the ONLY thing that is the same in all COD games is the CONTROLS. COD3, COD4, COD5, COD6, COD7, are TRUE SEQUALS not the same game with a tiny DLC stuck onto it like SSF4 or RE5Gold.

READ and LEARN: each Call of Duty game has a DIFFERENT campaign. a DIFERENT story. DIFFERENT environmental locales. DIFFERENT characters. DIFFERENT guns. DIFFERENT online maps. DIFFERENT modes. DIFFERENT perks. DIFFERENT attachments. DIFFERENT factions. ETC ETC.

the only thing that is the SAME in every COD game is the CONTROLS. thats it. so go play them all like i have and see they are Nothing Alike unless you just like to Troll and Lie about Call of Duty games.

[quote name='HORSEBORSE']did i say i hate SEQUALS? NO i did NOT say i hate SEQUALS. RE5 GOLD is NOT a SEQUAL to RE5. its the SAME game. SSF4 is NOT a SEQUAL to SF4. it is the SAME game.

CALL OF DUTY does NOT make "minor" improvements. it is a TOTALLY different game every time. the ONLY thing that is the same in all COD games is the CONTROLS. COD3, COD4, COD5, COD6, COD7, are TRUE SEQUALS not the same game with a tiny DLC stuck onto it like SSF4 or RE5Gold.

READ and LEARN: each Call of Duty game has a DIFFERENT campaign. a DIFERENT story. DIFFERENT environmental locales. DIFFERENT characters. DIFFERENT guns. DIFFERENT online maps. DIFFERENT modes. DIFFERENT perks. DIFFERENT attachments. DIFFERENT factions. ETC ETC.

the only thing that is the SAME in every COD game is the CONTROLS. thats it. so go play them all like i have and see they are Nothing Alike unless you just like to Troll and Lie about Call of Duty games.[/QUOTE]

You need to have a wank, it'll calm you down

You could make the argument that SSF4 is a sequel to SF4 as it takes places several months later (w/new endings and intros) and introduces new characters and changes to the gameplay.

[quote name='Kenshindono']lol what other areas are there? i listed the reasons i dislike it. I havent played it but im assuming the actual fighting is relatively fun? hopefully?
[/QUOTE]

Online is busted, and honestly borderline unplayable. Dropping easy combos, blocking not registering (makes teleporters online 10x better because you can't react to them), etc. You can't really rely on the in game connection bar either as it doesn't appear on certain screens or just shows full bars. You have to do workarounds just to play Ranked Matches.

Offline, picking a level like the Shield stage with black Spiderman or Sent can give you a huge advantage (not even bs-ing, you literally can't see either of them on certain tvs).

I've been hearing complaints about input lag on certain levels when things get too hectic. I've personally never noticed but it gets brought up enough and heads claim to exploit it whenever they can. I've seen massive screen tearing and on my 360, the game pauses for like half a second during the first 20 seconds of the fight, which makes me afraid to even attack until it happens.

Presentation is a mess in Mission and training. It wasn't until last week I even found out it had a record/playback feature.

Those are some of the annoying aspects I have with it. The gameplay faults like X-factor and no spectator mode are another thing but I'd rather capcom address the gamebreaking faults and fix the gameplay in MvC4 or something. Not sure how I feel about glitches like Ammy sinking in the floor......actually it's awesome and I hope they leave it alone.

The messed up part is that companies blame us for being CAG's and not buying games at full retail. That's how they'll justify DLC but the reason we stopped just buying games at full price day 1 is b/c the quality started to suck & money grabbing began. To this day certain things will always be day 1 purchases but it's far fewer than before.
Look at the high quality games that get it right like RDR and Batman AA the games are worth full price. RDR's DLC is worth the price but I'd still rather pay $75 & have everything upfront on the disc that way the TIV will hold up longer.

[quote name='Thrinn']This trend towards upsetting the balance with DLC characters has had the exact opposite effect for me -- it actually decreases my motivation to give these companies my money. I was really interested in the MK reboot and MvC3 until they announced the DLC plans. Fighting games were typically one of the few genres I'd pay full price for. Now I'm forced to either wait for the games to drop to $20 so I can afford the DLC or wait for a "Super" edition.

I'll be really interested to see what the final tally ends up being for all the DLC characters in MvC3 & MK9.[/QUOTE]

^^^
QFT

same here. I actually kinda stoped buying fighting games because of it honestly. I liked how Blazblue wasn't too crazy with the DLC.. then they came out with Continum shift and had a DLC character almot right out the gate *sigh*

[quote name='topplehat']Remember when games used to release for this price and you actually got the full game? Not just some game gutted for later DLC, but the full game?[/QUOTE]

ya.... seems like that was ages ago wasn't it? how about the days when you bought a game and it worked right out of the box. It didn't require a patch on day 1 or a week later >_<

[quote name='HORSEBORSE']How Capcom Milks the same game over and over. No other company has done this:
*snip*
*snip*

end of story.:applause::applause::applause::applause:[/QUOTE]

what? i hadn't heard about a super version.. are you serious?? christ, your not kidding thats ridiculous. I never did buy RE though, that series has spiraled downhill since 2.. its not even about zombies anymore

and @ strider.. wow, just wow. I just thought the game was pathetic in the story mode with nothing for the individual characters, and that training sucked arse. i didn't realize there was so many other problems

I think purchasing a DLC pack for 2 or 3 new characters is laughable. Really are those characters THAT interesting? I'm awaiting the inevitable price drop to $30 - $40 before I buy this.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back