Marvel's Headlining Character

ElfAngel7

CAGiversary!
I would say Spiderman (me being a huge Spidey fan and all), but I was suprised to find that a lot of different people thought that different characters were more recognizable.

I hate that Spider-man. I had a similar idea for a superhero and I could be rich but alas Stan Lee beat me to it. Mine was called Bumblebee-man. His costume is made up of black and yellow alternating horizontal stripes on his shirt and matching yellow shorts. There are also two antenae coming out of his head to complete the bumblebee look.

He has many catch phrases such as
"Dos huevos por favor-ay, que lastima,"
"El yo-yo es grande,"
"Ay, un gato malodoro," and the favorite
"Dios no me ama!"

When he is not fighting crime, his secret identity is Chespirito and he works as an actor exclusively for tv channel "ocho."

Spider-man is obviously a rip off of my brilliant idea and I am filing a lawsuit as soon as I can.

Spiderman is Marvels most direct flagship character, he was part of their logo for all of the 80's and part of the 90's. He's also one of the most straight forward origins of any marvel character, He dosent alienate any specific group and people of any age can read his adventures for the most part.

He IS Marvel's main character.

Xmen may have occasionally sold more thanhim but that's always the case with a property that gets hot for a while. The Xmen made more noise had a louder fan following and a lot of it's current populatity was due to Jim Lee and Chris Clarmont (say what you will about them personally, but they did have a BIG draw during their time on the book). Plus teams like Xmen and FF are harder to market together than a singular hero.

Iron Man and Hulk are flawed characters like Batman over at DC, where as Spidey is more like Superman, arguably DCs most flag ship character. Why not Captain America? Because Marvel sells it comics in more than just north america and Cap is just a little too specific. DD while very much like Spidey just never had as big a following over as long a period of time.

Yeah, I think Spiderman comes first in everyone's mind when you say Marvel superhero. All around superhero would have to be Superman even though I think he sucks.

I'd say its a close tie between Spider-Man and Wolverine. Both X-Men movies could have been called Wolverine 1 & 2 and the titles wouldn't be misleading. Both of them are all over the place.

As far as sales go:
Spider-man
X-Men
Fantastic Four
Captain America
Avengers
Hulk
Daredevil

And those are just lumping the "ultimate" versions and spin offs into each other.

Wolverine came to mind before Spiderman, but I voted spiderman. Wolverine truly is in a class all his own and that is why I could not vote for X-men.

[quote name='javeryh']I hate that Spider-man. I had a similar idea for a superhero and I could be rich but alas Stan Lee beat me to it. Mine was called Bumblebee-man. His costume is made up of black and yellow alternating horizontal stripes on his shirt and matching yellow shorts. There are also two antenae coming out of his head to complete the bumblebee look.

He has many catch phrases such as
"Dos huevos por favor-ay, que lastima,"
"El yo-yo es grande,"
"Ay, un gato malodoro," and the favorite
"Dios no me ama!"

When he is not fighting crime, his secret identity is Chespirito and he works as an actor exclusively for tv channel "ocho."

Spider-man is obviously a rip off of my brilliant idea and I am filing a lawsuit as soon as I can.[/quote]

Forgive my spelling:

Are you refering to El Chapuring Colorado? Your description sounds eerily familiar. I used to watch that show as a child (when I lived in Puerto Rico for a few years.) Crazy spanish childrens show.

X-men was the biggest selling Comic book in the 80's and 90s. Captain America was big as a War World 2 action figure (He did fight the Red Skull and the Nazi's after all). Fantastic Four was the first premier group of superheroes.

But when it comes to what symbolizes Marvel Comics, it has to be Spiderman hands down.

i used to collect the hell out of Spiderman comics, and to a lesser extent, X-Men comics. but i stopped back in middle school. i've got a whole drawer full, maybe they'll be worth something some day.

No question about it (for me, at least). It's gotta be the amazing Spider-Man, especially after the 2 huge blockbuster movies.

bread's done
Back