Marvin the Martian: The Movie. In live action and CG. And it's a CHRISTMAS story.

Gothic Walrus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117989712.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Warner Bros. is launching development of a "Marvin the Martian" feature at Alcon Entertainment, with principals Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove producing along with Steve Crystal.

Project will blend live action and CGI.

Marvin was created by Chuck Jones and made his first appearance in a Looney Tunes cartoon in 1948. The character was often intent on blowing up the Earth, only to be foiled by Bugs Bunny.

Crystal, a former Warner exec with a first-look deal at Alcon through his Charlie Co. banner, developed the pitch as a Christmas story, with Marvin coming to Earth to destroy Christmas but being prevented from doing so when he’s trapped in a gift box. Alcon’s out to writers and directors.

Johnson and Kosove told Daily Variety that "Marvin" will be aimed at the family demo along the same lines as Alcon’s "Racing Stripes" and "My Dog Skip."

Alcon announced in May that it had raised $550 million in private funding and extended its deal at Warner, with the studio agreeing to distribute 15 Alcon pics domestically over the next five years, including the already-released pair "P.S. I Love You" and "One Missed Call" plus "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2," which opens Aug. 6.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not seeing a way that this won't be a failure. :whistle2:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god.

I'm seeing crazy shit over here, but there's always that part of me that thinks it makes sense.

This doesn't.

[quote name='PRMega']What about the phrase "Live action Looney Toons character" made these people think "Hey, we won't lose money on this!"?[/quote]

For what it's worth, I recall Space Jam being very popular, even if it was a 90 minute ad for Nike. Granted, that speaks nothing to the quality of the film... just that it made money.

I'm assuming 'live action and CG' means Marvin will be CG, and the movie itself will be live action (like, um... Transformers?).

But I'm with the consensus that this is a terrible, terrible idea. Another bad movie wasting millions of dollars, plenty of resources (from transportation, production, printing, and distribution... I don't think most people consider the carbon footprint of the entertainment industry) and the time of everyone who sees it. All 3 of them.

[quote name='ananag112']How was that recent movie Looney Tunes: Back in Action? I never got to see it. Was it any good?[/QUOTE]

if you can get over the soundtrack and the music video montages, it wasn't that bad of a film for some light fluffy fun.

[quote name='anomynous']Space Jam is the best Looney Toons related thing ever[/QUOTE]

Bite your foolish tongue!

[quote name='ananag112']How was that recent movie Looney Tunes: Back in Action? I never got to see it. Was it any good?[/quote]

Back in Action is average. It's filled with Looney Tunes references. So, that's a plus. Otherwise, you will need to prepare yourself to endure Jenna Elfman.

bread's done
Back