Mass Effect 3 preorder bonus question...

Blaan

CAGiversary!
I posted this in the general discussion forum, but this seems appropriate as well.

Ok, so I'm trying to decide whether or not I should preorder the regular edition of Mass Effect 3 or the Collectors edition.

I'm only interested in the collectors edition for the bonus character and extra mission. I don't care about the case, DVD, and whatever else comes with it. I do care that Amazon has a $10 credit on the standard edition. And if it's just a matter of buying the DLC, then I'd prefer to do that.

So my question is, has there been any indication on whether or not that DLC will be made available on the first day? I'm a PS3 player and I didn't preorder the last game, but did play that mission with the thief chick and I can't seem to remember if that was included or I bought that separately.

Thanks in advance.

Tough to say. The CE DLC from Mass Effect 2 was never made available for a separate purchase on XBLM. It was available on PSN, but there was no CE for PS3 so it wouldn't have been available at all otherwise. And, that DLC was only a weapon and armor set, not a whole character.

If I had to guess I would say that it probably will be available for separate purchase, eventually. A whole extra squadmate is a lot for them to keep exclusive to the CE forever. But I wouldn't count on it being available right away.

I think you are confusing two different ME 2 characters. The extra character included with the Cerberus network was Zareeq (sp?). He hahd the scar on his face and was kind of evil. Kasumi, the thief chick, was a DLC only mission and character. The Cerberus network was a little different than the CE in that the Cerberus network was included with all new versions of ME2.

Anyway, I am in the exact same situation as you. I pre-ordered the standard version ME2 from Amazon because they have a $10 credit. I have the CE edition sitting in my cart because I really want that extra character and mission. The alternate looks for the crew don't hurt either. I just don't know that they are $20. My suspicion is that the extra character willbe offered down the road, but not at launch. Otherwise, it undercuts the whole point of the CE. Since I will want that character on my first playthrough, I will likely go ahead and grab the CE.

As a basic rule of thumb, Mass Effect CEs tend to be fairly limited (this was true prior to EA) so if you are on the fence about it... just go ahead and order it. Plus, there is no guarantee the extra content will be available for download.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I preordered the CE, but it's a $30 swing with the $10 credit that amazon is offering on the standard edition.

I hope there's an announcement about it at some point, about the DLC, but I suspect that it won't be. Ugh. I don't know if it's worth $30 bucks, but the completeist in me thinks that I want it anyway.

So the CE digital content is this, according to Amazon?

• N7 Arsenal Pack - Bring the firepower with the N7 Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, SMG, and Pistol
  • Robotic Dog - A faithful sidekick to keep you company on board the Normandy
  • Squadmate Alternate Outfit Pack - New appearances for your favorite squad members
  • N7 Hoodie - For Commander Shepard's casual days on board the Normandy

So you get a dog, not an actual "person" as a bonus squadmate? Def not interested in paying extra for that bonus content.

[quote name='praxus07']So the CE digital content is this, according to Amazon?

• N7 Arsenal Pack - Bring the firepower with the N7 Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, SMG, and Pistol
  • Robotic Dog - A faithful sidekick to keep you company on board the Normandy
  • Squadmate Alternate Outfit Pack - New appearances for your favorite squad members
  • N7 Hoodie - For Commander Shepard's casual days on board the Normandy
So you get a dog, not an actual "person" as a bonus squadmate? Def not interested in paying extra for that bonus content.[/QUOTE]

The robotic dog is just a companion for when your on the Normandy, not in combat. At least thats what they say.

An "extra" squadmate has been confirmed for the CE edition. Plus if you pre-order any version of the game from different retailers you get different guns. I don't believe there is anyway to buy one copy and get all launch dlc/pre-order bonuses. You would have to buy at least one more copy, which is a huge drag. Another reason I hate the pre-order bonus trend, it aliernates customers and only profits them.

bread's done
Back