Mass Effect 3 will require Origin on PC

Josh5890

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1216562p1.html#dsq-comments

Well, this may or may not be a shocker to you but EA is requiring that if you plan on purchasing Mass Effect 3, retail or download, you will be required to download Origin. An internet connection with Origin will not be required when playing the single player campaign but it will be required if you play the multiplayer game. Recent EA PC games such as Battlefield 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic have required Origin so this should be expected.

Personally, I am upset by this. I have never touched Origin because 1- I am loyal to Steam and their service they provide (even though I still purchase the majority of my games via retail) and 2- Origin is a spyware, which I do not appreciate. I have enjoyed the first two Mass Effect games on the PC. In fact, Mass Effect 1 was the game that got me back into PC gaming. However, with the announcement of Mass Effect 3 requiring Origin I'm at a crossroad. Do I keep my save files from 3 playthroughs of Mass Effect 1 and 2, along with the memories, and succomb to Origin, or should I play the final installment of the trilogy on the PS3?

I did it for Dragon Age II, it's really not a big deal. It's very stubborn of EA to make us download separate clients for a handful of games, but it works well enough.

And you can just grab your save file from wherever it's at, doesn't matter if you're on steam or not.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I did it for Dragon Age II, it's really not a big deal. It's very stubborn of EA to make us download separate clients for a handful of games, but it works well enough.[/QUOTE]

This.

I don't understand the hate Origin gets and calling it spyware is a bit much. Spyware is a type of malicious software used for malicious reasons and EA collecting data from their users for their partners is hardily malicious.

All I can say is that BattleLog is an amazing service.

Sure Origin is another program, but it certainly is not open all the time on my PC like Steam is. As for the Origin customer service, I have had nothing but great help from them. For some reason my Ultimate DA game didn't have any of the DLC being registered as bought despite it being installed on my PC. Origin Help found the problem and promptly found the solution despite the fact that I bought the game from Amazon.

Though I am pretty much 'meh' on ME3. Maybe because I hate great games? I don't know but the Reapers aren't that bad, because if they were they wouldn't have hid from Shep during all of ME2.

Looks like I'm buying it on the 360 and not the PC. I've had more fucking issues with EA's shit pre and post-Origin on the PC side that they can go choke on a dick for all I care. Please don't let them do it with Kingdoms of Amalur too. I'd actually like to play that game as I enjoy that type of game far more on PC.

I knew it would be Origin as EA is shifting all it's games to Origin. I mean it's no Steam but I don't have a problem with it considering that EA puts out enough games I buy that uses it.

If I would have to use it for one game in like 4-5 years, then it becomes a problem.

i dont think its required for old republic and if it is it doesnt load while im playing that game, but its not as bad as people make it out to be

i just like keeping all my games on steam but i can understand competition and junk. :)

I in general dislike EA, but they make good games. They really dislike listening to their fans, but I will still get their games no matter what if they are making good games for a decent price. Yes, Orgin does suck, because it's another thing to update, but it's not a deal breaker to me. ME3 will too good.

bread's done
Back