Mass effect (PC) $5 with coupon EA Store

Good deal on a game many people love. I've had my 360 version for nearly two years now and have just not been able to get into it (all the characters mouths look funny! lol).

Entirely worth $5, even if it isn't through Steam.
And don't forget that Bioware offers the Bring down the Sky DLC for free if you register your cd-key.

[quote name='Warn3rv3']Would this be better on xbox or PC?[/QUOTE]

PC came out after the 360 version and has improvements to utilizing your squad and using the different powers. The 360 version is far from terrible but if you have a choice, I'd go with the PC.

I'm away from my home computer right now. Could I buy it on the computer I'm using right now and then download it on my home computer?

Hey, just want some quick advice here. I've been wanting to play this one for a while now. I would prefer to get it with steam, but is there anything different between this version and the steam version? Also, my current computer won't be able to play it, but I will be getting a new computer within a couple weeks or so. Can I buy this now and wait til I get the new computer to do anything with it and have it still work? Thanks

[quote name='seanwookie']You can only download the game for 2 years on the EA store.[/QUOTE]

Is there any way to back it up and restore form that backup indefinitely?

[quote name='plutoknight']Is there any way to back it up and restore form that backup indefinitely?[/QUOTE]

I would like to know as well.

UGH!!!!! I fucking hate the EA Store, I live in Mexico and it WON'tT let me purchase from the US site.......come on EA fix this shit I like like 5 fucking minutes away from the US border in San Diego!!!

[quote name='Invader Bugs']Hey, just want some quick advice here. I've been wanting to play this one for a while now. I would prefer to get it with steam, but is there anything different between this version and the steam version? Also, my current computer won't be able to play it, but I will be getting a new computer within a couple weeks or so. Can I buy this now and wait til I get the new computer to do anything with it and have it still work? Thanks[/QUOTE]

The steam version has no activation limits

The coupon code seems to work for every game. Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe for $49.95? Or the peace of mind of steam? Decisions...

[quote name='Mafiacrooks']UGH!!!!! I fucking hate the EA Store, I live in Mexico and it WON'tT let me purchase from the US site.......come on EA fix this shit I like like 5 fucking minutes away from the US border in San Diego!!![/QUOTE]

Cross the border to SD or TX, go to a panera, download, then walk back. =P

[quote name='plutoknight']Is there any way to back it up and restore form that backup indefinitely?[/QUOTE]

when you download the game, go to your EA downloader directory and you should see the install files. You can move those files wherever you wish and back it up on disks or other HDs.

[quote name='kilm']when you download the game, go to your EA downloader directory and you should see the install files. You can move those files wherever you wish and back it up on disks or other HDs.[/QUOTE]

so this method is a surefire way to avoid the activation limit?

btw i've heard about this activation limit, but i tried searching the EA Store site and couldn't find any FAQ on it. does anyone have a link etc to where EA states that there is an activation limit? thanks.

Crap, I ordered this last night in a rush while family was over, now I just looked at my Steam account and forgot that I already bought it on Steam during there recent sale. AAAAAAAAHHH!!!

[quote name='SDC']Entirely worth $5, even if it isn't through Steam.
And don't forget that Bioware offers the Bring down the Sky DLC for free if you register your cd-key.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! A great deal just got even better. ;)

I'm looking for a reason to get this, does it have anything over the 360 version which i have played for WAAAYYY too many hours?

[quote name='abhinav']I'm looking for a reason to get this, does it have anything over the 360 version which i have played for WAAAYYY too many hours?[/QUOTE]

I bit after resisting the two times it had dropped to $5 on Steam. I played the game six times on 360, but this will give me something to mess around with until ME2 comes out. I've misspent $5 in worse ways before. The PC version has a much better interface and depending on your setup, looks and runs leaps and bounds better than the clunky 360 version. Also, if you never shelled out for the DLC on 360, it's free for PC.

Before I bite on this one, just wondering, with Mass Effect 2 they have the thing to transfer save files from Mass Effect 1. Will that work with this version? Will I be able to buy this from EA during this sale, and then when ME2 comes out buy the disc version and have this save file work? Thanks.

I too had been curious between Xbox360 and PC which would be better.

Now, so far everyone has said PC, but I had a more specific question.

What about the interface? I would figure that while they would have to tweak it for the PC, that as it was designed around the Xbox that the PC version may not control as well or as smoothly?

Also, I do have a better display for my Xbox, just sayin....

So anyway, what reasons is the PC version better? And also, how do the interfaces compare?

I wish I could find this out for myself, but I was surprised to find that neither the PC or the Xbox had demos available.

[quote name='Mafiacrooks']UGH!!!!! I fucking hate the EA Store, I live in Mexico and it WON'tT let me purchase from the US site.......come on EA fix this shit I like like 5 fucking minutes away from the US border in San Diego!!![/QUOTE]

I have the same problem, except I live in Puerto Rico, which makes it even more retarded. We're a fucking commonwealth of the U.S., dammit. We use AMERICAN DOLLARS, and it wants me to use pesos, or whatever the hell currency that is. Ridiculous.

EDIT: So I spoke to a representative about this. Just thought I'd share the conversation:

Hi, my name is Andy. How may I help you? [06:42:45 AM]
: Hi Andy [06:42:53 AM]
: My name is Andrew [06:43:02 AM]
: I'm trying to buy Mass Effect from the EA Store [06:43:14 AM]
: but I'm being forced to enter the Spain page [06:43:29 AM]
: which I imagine is because I live in Puerto Rico [06:43:43 AM]
: but I can't even purchase the game because we don't even use that currency [06:44:10 AM]
: and there is absolutely no way to get to the US version of the EA store [06:44:26 AM]
: the whole this is really frustrating [06:44:39 AM]
Andy: May I know the country from where you are trying to purchase the game. [06:42:36 AM]
: I live in Puerto Rico [06:45:27 AM]
: a commonwealth of the United States... so I think I should be able to get into the US page [06:45:54 AM]
Andy: Please give me few moments. [06:44:23 AM]
: sure [06:47:08 AM]
Andy: I am really sorry then you will not be able to purchase the game. [06:48:54 AM]
Andy: You can purchase the game from other website like. [06:49:19 AM]
: I'm trying to give you guys money... [06:52:00 AM]
: I want to purchase it from the EA Store because there's a sale. can't I buy it through you or something? [06:52:35 AM]
Andy: Amzon.com, gamestree.com and steam [06:49:59 AM]
Andy: I am sorry if you are unable to see your country and currency in EA store then you can not purchase it from there. [06:52:51 AM]
: well are they going to fix this at some point? because there is absolutely no reason that I should be forced to enter the Spanish page [06:56:48 AM]
: or anyone, for that matter. People tend to go on vacations and move around the world [06:57:10 AM]
Andy: I am escalating this issue to higher level and they will get back to you via email. [06:55:03 AM]
: thank you, I appreciate that [06:58:15 AM]
Andy: Is there anything else I may help you with? [06:55:53 AM]
: no, that will be all [06:58:49 AM]
: thanks [06:58:56 AM]

I shouldn't be giving him a hard time before 7:00AM, but ARG!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='basis']so this method is a surefire way to avoid the activation limit?

btw i've heard about this activation limit, but i tried searching the EA Store site and couldn't find any FAQ on it. does anyone have a link etc to where EA states that there is an activation limit? thanks.[/QUOTE]

No you have a download limit from the ea store AND a product activation limit. However you can revoke activations via the revoke tool assumning you dont have a hd crash or something

Very much worth it. I got it for 5 bucks on the STEAM deal and it is a better game than I expected. Great dialogue and setting!

If they were in a really super Mass Effect mood, they should've teamed up with Amazon or something and had a bundle with the Mass Effect ebooks and the game together.

The game is amazing though (haven't read the books), kinda buggy with the sound if you want to get hardware audio working (instead of the default software audio), but still a perfect game.

bread's done
Back