Mass Effect PC @ CC $19.96

I mentioned it in the Buy.com thread, but I didn't know this was new since this one fell of my radar. Now that I've seen the 360 version cheaper, I'll wait. Like I said in that thread, this way you also get the DLC for free.

Ah, I can't believe I forgot to mention that. (my friend bought it Sunday) and told me although it was marked 30 on the box it was actually 20. Nice posting rebthor.

Yeah, it's just a rental, plus you'd almost need to reinstall to get rid of the DRM (I'm more opposed to it's rental-ness though).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, it's just a rental, plus you'd almost need to reinstall to get rid of the DRM (I'm more opposed to it's rental-ness though).[/quote]
I agree and that's why I held off getting it when it came out for PC. Once it hit $20 though, I figured I can deal with the rental-ness.
That doesn't mean I think it is good that EA can effectively turn off my right to install the game at any time, just that the risk/reward tilted enough to the reward side. I was very tempted to get it for the 360 though at $15 just to avoid the whole issue, but I prefer my RPGs on the PC.

Darn it.

I broke down and purchased it yesterday. But, I will take it back today. I definitely don't want to deal with DRM on my computer. I was worried Mass Effect was overrated. And from the posts it seems like it may have been.

[quote name='rebthor']I agree and that's why I held off getting it when it came out for PC. Once it hit $20 though, I figured I can deal with the rental-ness.
That doesn't mean I think it is good that EA can effectively turn off my right to install the game at any time, just that the risk/reward tilted enough to the reward side. I was very tempted to get it for the 360 though at $15 just to avoid the whole issue, but I prefer my RPGs on the PC.[/quote]

You know, the more I think about it, I think I'm gonna jump on it for $20. It sucks to pay $20 for a rental, but in the event their servers shut down, etc., well, there are "solutions" :whistle2:\"

3 reasons this is better on PC:

1) sharper, more crisp gfx
2) minimal loading
3) free DLC

...same goes for Gears of War, and eventually Fable II and Gears 2.

Actually some DRM have been known to do some harm...Though I'm sure there are ways to find a version without DRM then use the disc you bought to play it.

[quote name='Laughing Man']Actually some DRM have been known to do some harm...Though I'm sure there are ways to find a version without DRM then use the disc you bought to play it.[/quote]

It only harms what it thinks has a potential of being an issue. Certain third party burners that have an optical disc image loader has been known to barf up any game that you try to run/install.

[quote name='AwRy108']3 reasons this is better on PC:

1) sharper, more crisp gfx
2) minimal loading
3) free DLC

...same goes for Gears of War, and eventually Fable II and Gears 2.[/QUOTE]

Didn't one of the Gears 2 developers state that Gears 2 isn't coming to the PC? I really hope that it does eventually make its way to the PC.

[quote name='PikaPichu']Didn't one of the Gears 2 developers state that Gears 2 isn't coming to the PC? I really hope that it does eventually make its way to the PC.[/quote]

Yeah, CliffyB has said twice it's not coming to PC b/c of rampant piracy. Provided Epic's initial development costs were covered by the 360, I don't know why they wouldn't port it - I'm guessing they won't have to move many copies to cover their porting costs (therefore making the piracy argument moot)

My guess: Gears 2 for PC in Christmas 09. It's the main reason why I'm holding off on getting a 360 - it seems almost all "exclusive" 360 games come to PC with better graphics and more content :bouncy:

[quote name='ducttapeBigSexy']My guess: Gears 2 for PC in Christmas 09. It's the main reason why I'm holding off on getting a 360 - it seems almost all "exclusive" 360 games come to PC with better graphics and more content :bouncy:[/quote]

Not even close to "all"--but some genres more than others. And its a crapshoot how good the port is if it does.

[quote name='PikaPichu']Didn't one of the Gears 2 developers state that Gears 2 isn't coming to the PC? I really hope that it does eventually make its way to the PC.[/QUOTE]

Unlike the first Gears, where Epic just said there were no plans for a PC version, Gears 2 they just came out and flat out said THERE WILL NOT BE A PC VERSION.

I read Gears on PC sold poorly (not too surprising since it came out around the same time as The Orange Box) and that may be a factor as to why they don't intend to bring Gears 2 to PC.

Epic is run by a bunch of (very wealthy) crybabies. They released GoW and UT3 amidst the Orange Box and CoD4; of course PC gamers aren't going to give a crap, especially since GoW was released on Xbox months before and most people are fine playing UT2k4 (which is an amazing game, btw).

[quote name='Marker']Unlike the first Gears, where Epic just said there were no plans for a PC version, Gears 2 they just came out and flat out said THERE WILL NOT BE A PC VERSION.

I read Gears on PC sold poorly (not too surprising since it came out around the same time as The Orange Box) and that may be a factor as to why they don't intend to bring Gears 2 to PC.[/QUOTE]

Also, I read that Epic was upset with the reviews of Gears of War for the PC. The felt it was clearly the best version. Also, they spent a lot of time and money adding content, only to have reviewers bash the game. Their higher ups were basically saying what's the point when it will get a bad review for no justifiable reason.

Definitely worth it. I've had it on my PC for half a year now, as well as Bioshock and Far Cry 2 and Spore, all of which have the "terrible" DRM.

I don't like that they have to use DRM, but the fact is that lots and lots of people pirate PC games. We've gotten rid of Starforce, thank god. Not nearly as many people have had problems with SecureROM (but there have been some), and most cases seems to be resolved very quickly.

And if you're worried about still being able to have virtual drives, I'm running Daemon Tools Lite just fine with all this horrible DRM on my computer.

[quote name='ducttapeBigSexy']Yeah, CliffyB has said twice it's not coming to PC b/c of rampant piracy. Provided Epic's initial development costs were covered by the 360, I don't know why they wouldn't port it - I'm guessing they won't have to move many copies to cover their porting costs (therefore making the piracy argument moot)

My guess: Gears 2 for PC in Christmas 09. It's the main reason why I'm holding off on getting a 360 - it seems almost all "exclusive" 360 games come to PC with better graphics and more content :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but GoW PC didn't sell well period -- regardless of PC piracy or not. I think another major factor is I'm sure most people already owned Gears of War on the 360, anyways -- especially given how many copies the 360 version of GoW sold, so they didn't go out and buy the PC version upon its initial release.

Plus, GoW 360 is one system to build the game around period -- since it's static. For a PC version of a game, there's countless numbers of hardware the game could be built around -- that could a pain for Epic.

Also, us PC gamers were also complaining of Gears of War PC b/c of it had some technical issues, such as the stuttering issues that never got fixed -- which we still are waiting on being fixed and all. Maybe reviewers wouldn't have complained about GoW PC, if it didn't have G4WL Issues and the stuttering issue...

[quote name='SidewinderX']I don't like that they have to use DRM, but the fact is that lots and lots of people pirate PC games. [/quote]

Which DRM/activation DRM does nothing to address. The only people affected by activation DRM are those of us who purchase games. I'm not willing to spend that much on a rental.

$20 is a great price for the ride.

To anyone worried about this game being a rental, I easily put in 60 hours through my 1st playthrough of the game. It's all about how much of a completionist you are, but the main storyline can be completed in 6-8 hours.

Replay for me, was partially driven by achievements, 2-3 playthroughs needed for everything. However, playstyle is pretty different between a tech and biotic character.

This game has a permanent slot in my library.

@MysterD
Fair enough - I was just addressing the official reason that was given as to why there won't be a PC port. idk, I'm still thinking we may see a port - I'm guessing there's at least one unknown studio that'd be willing to do a crappy port on the cheap. Sure, it won't be the best version, but it'd be better than nothing

@Bloodbogger
The reference to it being a rental isn't because we think the game is too short, it's because of the ability for EA to pull the plug on allowing people to activate their game. If EA refuses to allow any more activations for the given CD key (too many activations, shut down activation servers), the game will not be unlocked. Basically, the thought is is that in 10 years, we may have a $20 coaster on our hands :p

(On a side note, according to Joystiq, Mass Effect has just been released on Steam with no SecuROM. Granted, it still has online activation thanks to Steam, but it's unlimited and SecuROM won't be installed on your computer. http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/19/ea-games-roll-onto-steam/)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ducttapeBigSexy']@MysterD
Fair enough - I was just addressing the official reason that was given as to why there won't be a PC port. idk, I'm still thinking we may see a port - I'm guessing there's at least one unknown studio that'd be willing to do a crappy port on the cheap. Sure, it won't be the best version, but it'd be better than nothing[/quote]
I liked GoW PC, despite its technical issues -- i.e. G4WL issues and the stuttering issue.

Personally, I'd love to see GoW2 come out for the PC. I just....dunno if we're really get a port. I mean, heck -- it's not like Epic did GoW PC; People Can Fly (who Epic bought) ported it to the PC.

As far as I'm concerned, PCF should be making a new Painkiller game -- I think Dreamcatcher has the rights for that IP now. It's not like Epic couldn't afford the IP or anything, so someone tell Epic to go buy it! :p

@Bloodbogger
The reference to it being a rental isn't because we think the game is too short, it's because of the ability for EA to pull the plug on allowing people to activate their game. If EA refuses to allow any more activations for the given CD key (too many activations, shut down activation servers), the game will not be unlocked. Basically, the thought is is that in 10 years, we may have a $20 coaster on our hands :p
Officially, yeah -- we'd have a coaster.
Like most PC games, though -- I'm sure it's been probably unofficially cracked already.

(On a side note, according to Joystiq, Mass Effect has just been released on Steam with no SecuROM. Granted, it still has online activation thanks to Steam, but it's unlimited and SecuROM won't be installed on your computer. http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/19/ea-games-roll-onto-steam/)
I hate to say this, but for me, Steam is the lesser of two evils -- when we're talking Securom and Steam. I never had problems w/ Securom screwing my PC up, luckily.

I really don't like activating Single Player games. It's annoying, since I'm not playing them with other people over the Net. I never had problems w/ Steam, buy many others have -- with getting them authenticated and/or running the game in offline mode.

Though, I did have trouble with two Securom games when trying to authenticate them, even while inputting the CORRECT serial code -- Bioshock PC (day of release) and Alone in the Dark 2008. AITD 2008 was the big baffler, as that game was just not selling, it had been out a few months, and I'll bet when I activated it nobody else was. It's just shoddy as can be, I think.

Securom's install limits are very annoying -- and EA's are the worst b/c they haven't used any revokes -- well, except for Spore.

Luckily, when installing Far Cry 2 PC version yesterday, it took my activation on the first try.

Yeah, you're probably right that we won't be seeing Gears 2 on PC. It's mostly wishful thinking on my part - I'm hoping I won't have to buy a 360 for only one game :)

I personally have never had a problem with Securom, but I will admit the unlimited activation thing is nice - I've had to call Microsoft multiple times to activate my copy of XP. I did, however, decide to go the boxed route of Mass Effect because I personally like having the game box and Mass Effect is $10 more on Steam than at CC :) But, we'll see how much I prefer the boxed copy when I get around to installing it...

bread's done
Back