Mass Effect PC Pre-order

Apparently all those who pre-order get $10 off... from ANY retailer.
That online continuous registration seems pretty brutal, but it's an awesome game that everyone should check out.

I don't know what the big deal is. The online thing also means you can leave the DVD in the case - it is not required to play.

There is a pile of SecuROM game in my collection - i've never had a single problem.

I would prefer a Steam version, but is not going to happen.

[quote name='scary perry']I don't know what the big deal is. The online thing also means you can leave the DVD in the case - it is not required to play.

There is a pile of SecuROM game in my collection - i've never had a single problem.

I would prefer a Steam version, but is not going to happen.[/quote]
Limited activations (3) is what most people are complaining about, other than the general idea of the DRM to curb piracy (which never works).

[quote name='scary perry']How many computers do you usually install on?

If you exceed 3 just call the 1-800 number.[/quote]
You think that 1-800 number is going to last forever? Or whatever server the DRM shit is connecting to? You're basically paying for a rental. Sure you might not care in 2-3 years if it gets shutdown, but I buy my games to keep and play forever.

[quote name='scary perry']pretty easy to find no-cd patches for games that came out 6 years ago...

but yeah I am starting to see the point[/quote]

that's exactly the point, you need a no-cd patch to circumvent the copy protection. The no-cd patch will likely exist on day one making the drm pointless from the get go. Those that want it free will get it. Why waste money on the protection.

[quote name='magiic']that's exactly the point, you need a no-cd patch to circumvent the copy protection. The no-cd patch will likely exist on day one making the drm pointless from the get go. Those that want it free will get it. Why waste money on the protection.[/quote]

What annoys me is I need the CD to play an offline game like KotOR, Jade Empire, or CoD4 SP, even if I own the actual game. I spend 10 minutes installing 4 CDs and I still have to take it out to play? I understand the need for that, but it won't stop the pirates and it just annoys those who actually buy the game.

[quote name='ragnar14']You're basically paying for a rental.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and? This is how it's always been, with all software. Anytime you buy a game (or most any program), you're technically buying a license to use it, and NOT the actual product itself.

[quote name='magiic']The no-cd patch will likely exist on day one making the drm pointless from the get go.[/QUOTE]

Seriously unlikely that there will be a patch on release day (and by the way, it's not really a "no-cd patch," seeing as one, the game doesn't need the disc in the drive to begin with, and two, this is far more complex than a mere CD-check). Bioshock took three weeks before there was a proper crack.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Yeah, and? This is how it's always been, with all software. Anytime you buy a game (or most any program), you're technically buying a license to use it, and NOT the actual product itself.
[/quote]

Except it's a permanent license that allows you to do what you want with it, since you know, you paid for it. It's a complete insult to gamers everywhere and of course EA has to lead the way. I can put up with registration and CD-checks, but 3 installs is stupid and a pathetic way to attempt to keep pirates away.

All this does is keep good buyers aware and force them into piracy, I personally have had numerous issues with SecureROM, it's a terrible system.

This keeps good gamers who don't use the internet on a frequent basis away, it keeps honest buyers away and will force them to find alternate means. PC games have always been pirated and this will be no exception, why coerce more people into piracy? :whistle2:#

I can't understand how people defend this, it's big brother all the way. If I purchase a game I can do whatever the hell I want with it, I shouldn't have to check in with Mr. Big Corporation to ensure after activating my CD-Key that I'm not somehow magically producing a billion copies that can't work with the same CD key.

[quote name='SumDumRetard']Except it's a permanent license that allows you to do what you want with it, since you know, you paid for it.[/quote]
Um, no. While most software licenses are of infinite length, they most certainly do not allow you to do whatever you want with it.

All this does is keep good buyers aware and force them into piracy,
They're not forcing you to do anything. Aside from just installing the game and playing it with the copy protection, you also have the option of doing the right thing (as if), and opting to not buy/install the game, if you know that you won't abide by the license agreement.

And by the way, what problems have you had with SecuROM? Seriously, like half the PC games on the market today use it. It's not exactly a rare, super-hardcore system or anything.

This keeps good gamers who don't use the internet on a frequent basis away,
There aren't that many gamers with PCs that could run this that don't have reliable internet connections. And therein lies another form of copy protection: if they don't have internet, then they're going to have a hard time downloading a pirated copy of the game, aren't they?

If I purchase a game I can do whatever the hell I want with it,
No, you can't. Have you ever even glanced at an End-User License Agreement? When you buy a game at a store, you're not really buying the game; you're buying a license to use the software (and the licenses always include provisions stating that you must not modify the game data/executable, etc; furthermore, you're usually not allowed to duplicate the game media, even as a personal backup). And legally, you must either abide by the agreement, or not install the software.

Anyway, it's all a moot point now, as far as Mass Effect goes; they've removed the every-10-days check, in light of all the bitching they've been hearing. It still uses standard SecuROM, of course, but now the game only does an online authentication when the game updates, or when you download additional content for it.

It is absolutely hilarious to see publishers such as EA continue to use barbaric methods such as how SecuROM was to be implemented in Mass Effect & Spore, when they have a shining example of a working anti-piracy method that both works and is not a deterrent to the legitimate consumers.

I'm talking about Valve & Steam. No, I'm not saying its perfect, but I could almost guarantee you that if Mass Effect was to be delivered on Steam over half of the posts in this thread wouldn't exist.

Defend SecuROM all you want. Its still not an effective anti-piracy method, its still a huge pain in the rear to legitimate customers and it will still continue to generate both controversy and scorn whenever it is used with a game.

And consumers rightly should raise up their torches when this sort of lunacy happens. Until companies like EA pull their collective heads out of the sand & go with a true digital distribution system like Valve has, expect this sort of behavior to continue.

[quote name='Amankhan']Until companies like EA pull their collective heads out of the sand & go with a true digital distribution system like Valve has, expect this sort of behavior to continue.[/QUOTE]

You seriously think that everyone wants to buy all their games digitally? Very, very, very wrong. The market is not calling for that at all. So, that's just not an option.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You seriously think that everyone wants to buy all their games digitally? Very, very, very wrong. The market is not calling for that at all. So, that's just not an option.[/QUOTE]

The market is headed that way, like it or not, want it or not.

[quote name='Amankhan']The market is headed that way, like it or not, want it or not.[/quote]

Remember when Steam first came out? Buggy, slow, hated by everyone. It took years to get to the way it is today.

Any developer going with a Steam clone is going to lose a lot of business while they get it up to standards. It's too risky.

Yeah, but if EA uses Steam what purpose does EA itself serve?

If EA was smart they would license Steam - brand an exclusive version for their games.

:roll: Coffee, how you continue to defend EA is baffling, this is a desperate sign to increase revenue at the expense of irritating customers. It's classic EA propaganda.

And yes, I understand the license agreement, I just don't care. If I purchase a game, be it for a dollar, or a thousand dollars, I'll do what I want, WHEN I want, whenever I want. If I want to make a million copies of it, that's my business. When I purchase the game, it's mine, no license is going to tell me otherwise that I can't install it on another one of my computers if I choose to do so. License agreements also refrain you from using the product to make nuclear weapons, if I want to supply my copy of Itunes to North Korea, I'll dam well do what I please. :drool:

And if we aren't really buying the game, then why the nice little packaging, the box art, the CD-keys, hell everything to go with a special edition? If EA suddenly asked every user to return a copy of ME because of a copy protection glitch, how many would oblige?

Yes Coffee, despite what you and the license says, I CAN do what I want with it, no license will tell me that I can't enjoy the product I paid for as many times as I want. If they object, have them send the authorities to my place. Pretty sure they've got better things to do. :roll:

And for the record, I had problems with SecuRom over having Alcohol 120% installed and my own personal mounting tools. It's nobody's business what software I have installed, a CD-key should be the only copy protection necessary, it prevents pirates from playing online and ensures legitimate users don't deal with hassles like these. Soulstorm gave me nothing but problems over installation, I returned it and bought it off a real distributer over Steam who *gasp* had no objections to my software.

Taking a quick 10 second look over google, there are hundreds if not thousands of pages dedicated to problems with SecuRom, I'm clearly not the only one. It's unnecessary and unwanted, a user should be allowed to make a backup of a program if they choose if they paid for it. Again, I understand where you are coming from but I don't agree with it. A user should be allowed to do what they want with a product despite what the license says. In the end if the only argument here is "don't like it, don't buy it" is certainly something I'll be looking forward to. I won't be putting my hard earned money into a company that doesn't respect my privacy or my (former) right to make a backup copy or install it on a second computer.

Just so you guys know, the whole checking up on you every 10 days has been removed :)

I didn't mean to start such a big thing.

[quote name='Skardee']Just so you guys know, the whole checking up on you every 10 days has been removed :)

I didn't mean to start such a big thing.[/quote]

That is why I love Bioware and hate EA for buying them out.

[quote name='SumDumRetard']:roll: Coffee, how you continue to defend EA is baffling, this is a desperate sign to increase revenue at the expense of irritating customers.[/quote]
It has nothing to do with increasing revenue. It has to do with not losing revenue to piracy.

You still haven't explained, in the slightest, how having copy protection in a game is bad. I don't have to "defend EA," because you haven't made a single legitimate, worthwhile claim against them. Care to try?

And yes, I understand the license agreement, I just don't care. If I purchase a game, be it for a dollar, or a thousand dollars, I'll do what I want, WHEN I want, whenever I want. If I want to make a million copies of it, that's my business. When I purchase the game, it's mine, no license is going to tell me otherwise that I can't install it on another one of my computers if I choose to do so. License agreements also refrain you from using the product to make nuclear weapons, if I want to supply my copy of Itunes to North Korea, I'll dam well do what I please. :drool:
No shit you can do it. Real fucking inciteful. But that doesn't change the fact that by doing things like that, you're breaking a legally-binding contract you make when you install the software, and thus, breaking the law. You're just proving how completely fucking ignorant you are of how the software business works.

You can also run stop signs. I guess no asshole police are going to tell you how to drive you car, because it's your's, and you're going to do whatever you "dam" well please, huh?

And if we aren't really buying the game, then why the nice little packaging, the box art, the CD-keys, hell everything to go with a special edition?
The physical material is separate from the intellectual property.

You buy the box, and you get the physical disc, the manual, all that crap. But you do not take full ownership of the intellectual property of the material on the disc.

[quote name='SumDumRetard']I won't be putting my hard earned money into a company that doesn't respect my privacy or my (former) right to make a backup copy or install it on a second computer.[/QUOTE]

That's not a right. It's a privilege, one that no one is required to grant to you.

[quote name='Amankhan']The market is headed that way, like it or not, want it or not.[/QUOTE]

No, it's really not. Digital distribution numbers lack far, far behind retail numbers (they only count for a few percent of sales). And I challenge you to find a single industry figure who really thinks that one day, all game distribution will be digital. It's just not going to happen.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']And I challenge you to find a single industry figure who really thinks that one day, all game distribution will be digital.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-pc-sales-decline-not-worrying/19192/?biz=1

NPD analyst Anita Frazier. She noted that looking at the retail sales doesn't give us a complete picture, especially as the method of distribution on the PC is increasingly shifting towards digital and away from retail.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2238&Itemid=2

Peter Moore, who was working at Microsoft when he made these statements

"Our consumer is more comfortable buying online than going to the retail store. We are seeing great growth online, and as an industry, we need to be at the center of that growth."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/what-price-mass-market-part-2

Microsoft Europe's Chris Lewis

"My own sense going forwards is that digital downloads is really where it's at."

If you honestly think that no "industry figures" feel that digital downloads are where the market will be going to, I have to seriously question if you've even been reading any market analysis or trends......

Only one of people even suggested that they believe that PC games will eventually be 100%, exclusively sold via digital distribution (and that one person appears to be a complete no-name moron).

Yeah, digital distribution will only get more popular, and is and will forever remain a huge method of PC games sales. But it's stupid to think that it will kill retail completely. There will ALWAYS be people who want boxes and manuals, plain and simple.

bread's done
Back