Max Payne 3 (Ps3, Xbox), Free After Rebate, TigerDirect.com

[quote name='bear489']I placed my order using google checkout at 1:30am est time but on the receipt it states order rec on 2/16 at 10:30pm. Did I just mess up?[/QUOTE]

Well this asshat brought up this potential issue earlier but noone seemed to care. I hope it works out for you.

[quote name='bear489']I placed my order using google checkout at 1:30am est time but on the receipt it states order rec on 2/16 at 10:30pm. Did I just mess up?[/QUOTE]
Lol, this is exactly what "cancerman" was warning everyone about in this thread and several people flamed him for trying to help. Come on now, he was in no way being an asshat to anyone...

Anyway, I'm tempted to try this. I'm not too eager to cut up my game insert though...

So, the TigerDirect page says:
NOTICE: Limit (1) ONE rebate per person, billing address, company, or household

Yet the rabate link says:
Offer Maximum: 2 claim(s) per household

I was thinking of picking up a second copy to give as a gift.
So, just to be clear, I could I buy one under my wife's name even if we live at the same address, right? Or would that not work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ughh I ordered before realizing they want you to CUT THE UPC OFF THE GAME. fuck that shit. I am gonna photocopy the upc, mail it in and hope for the best. If I lose out on the rebate then oh well. Still a cheaper price for this game (on ps3) than it is on amazon.

Hmmm....I'm gonna have to pass on this one, even though I think they'll probably follow through with the rebate.

EDIT: Oh ya, also nice to see cancerman vindicated.

I traded mine in, but fuck it. Multiplayer was actually fun and now I regret having traded the game in for $16. So I just bought it, first rebate I've ever done for a video game.

[quote name='decayedmatter']Ughh I ordered before realizing they want you to CUT THE UPC OFF THE GAME. fuck that shit. I am gonna photocopy the upc, mail it in and hope for the best. If I lose out on the rebate then oh well. Still a cheaper price for this game (on ps3) than it is on amazon.[/QUOTE]

Having your UPC intact really matters? This game was $20 back in Nov for both PS3/360. So it's not exactly a cheap price. Hell it was $10 for PC/X360 during the Microsoft Store sale.

[quote name='eXiON']I traded mine in, but fuck it. Multiplayer was actually fun and now I regret having traded the game in for $16. So I just bought it, first rebate I've ever done for a video game.

Having your UPC intact really matters? This game was $20 back in Nov for both PS3/360. So it's not exactly a cheap price. Hell it was $10 for PC/X360 during the Microsoft Store sale.[/QUOTE]

If you are a collector, then yes it does matter.

[quote name='decayedmatter']If you are a collector, then yes it does matter.[/QUOTE]

Even if you end up getting it free a few weeks later? Alrighty then. :roll:

[quote name='eXiON']Even if you end up getting it free a few weeks later? Alrighty then. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I'm probably just gonna cancel my order tomorrow. And yes it would bug me for the rest of my years owning it. I am OCD about having a perfect collection.

[quote name='gmagnus']It requires the original UPC... I have to cut up my box?[/QUOTE]

I may try just photocopying my label onto glossy paper, and cutting out the UPC, I mean how are they really gonna know it's not original?

In the end, even if I have to cut out the UPC, it will be hidden between my backlog of games I bought a year ago and never played (not to mention the games I started and stopped early on four years ago).

Only 3.80 for a game is not bad considering I would have paid more just to have it on digital.

[quote name='decayedmatter']I may try just photocopying my label onto glossy paper, and cutting out the UPC, I mean how are they really gonna know it's not original?[/QUOTE]
Isn't this considered mail fraud if you knowingly submit photocopy proof for a rebate?

I'd much rather have the game for free than the UPC code. I mean, fuck, if you're a collector you're still getting the cover art and manual (plus mint, brand new discs).

[quote name='decayedmatter']I'm probably just gonna cancel my order tomorrow. And yes it would bug me for the rest of my years owning it. I am OCD about having a perfect collection.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I also like a tidy collection. Hell, I would never buy used games online without actually knowing I will receive both the case/manual.

However, for $3.xx I can't see how missing a trivial portion of the case would affect it. Like nadohawk mentions, I'm paying less than I would for the digital version. If later I find the game again for cheaper or free during a B2G1 sale then I can replace this copy, which I probably won't though.

[quote name='htz']Isn't this considered mail fraud if you knowingly submit photocopy proof for a rebate?[/QUOTE]

Is it really? Huh. Well I guess i'll just cancel my order then, assuming I can do that.

[quote name='decayedmatter']I'm probably just gonna cancel my order tomorrow. And yes it would bug me for the rest of my years owning it. I am OCD about having a perfect collection.[/QUOTE]

1. Nothing is perfect. Once you crack the seal, perfection goes out the window. Once you pop a disc into a system perfection goes out the window. Wear and tear is inevitable.

2. It's free. If worst comes to worst sell that copy, get money and buy another one.

3. There is medication for that. I'm not being a wise ass, I'm serious.

[quote name='decayedmatter']Is it really? Huh. Well I guess i'll just cancel my order then, assuming I can do that.[/QUOTE]
Use of fictitious names, multiple addresses and PO Boxes to obtain additional rebates may constitute fraud, violate federal or state laws and may result in prosecution, imprisonment and/or
fines, including under the U.S. Mail Fraud Statutes (18 USC, Section 1341 and 1342). Rebate application status updates, approval, denial, and other notices may be sent via e-mail.
I found this in the fine print of the rebate form... Not really sure about the photocopy thing that is why I placed a ? in my original reply.

Edit:
Photocopies of UPCs are not accepted unless indicated on the rebate form. Offer only valid in the US (including Puerto Rico). Rebate Payable in US Dollars for US Residents. Offer subject to
change at any time. Void where prohibited by law. Use of fictitious names, multiple addresses and PO Boxes to obtain additional rebates may constitute fraud, violate federal or state laws and may result in prosecution, imprisonment and/or
fines, including under the U.S. Mail Fraud Statutes (18 USC, Section 1341 and 1342).

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']1. Nothing is perfect. Once you crack the seal, perfection goes out the window. Once you pop a disc into a system perfection goes out the window. Wear and tear is inevitable.

2. It's free. If worst comes to worst sell that copy, get money and buy another one.

3. There is medication for that. I'm not being a wise ass, I'm serious.[/QUOTE]

I like being OCD. But yea I could sell the copy, but it's more trouble than it's worth. Rather just cancel and wipe myself of worrying about mailing a rebate and all that crap.

[quote name='decayedmatter']I like being OCD. But yea I could sell the copy, but it's more trouble than it's worth. Rather just cancel and wipe myself of worrying about mailing a rebate and all that crap.[/QUOTE]

Please stop calling it OCD unless it has been diagnosed by a professional.

Decided to get a copy. $35 on a prepaid card eventually, not a bad deal. I'll just play it once or twice while my rebate is being processed and when my rebate card arrives I'll trade the game in or sell it without the UPC and even if I get a dollar I already made money on it.

[quote name='htz']Isn't this considered mail fraud if you knowingly submit photocopy proof for a rebate?[/QUOTE]

People on this site are WAY too paranoid about things like this. Even if it is considered mail fraud--by some BS technicality--you will be fine sending in the copy.

[quote name='62t']Please stop calling it OCD unless it has been diagnosed by a professional.[/QUOTE]

Not commenting on the specific situation you are referring to, but that is a little bit too hard of a line to draw. I've taken quite a few psych classes--hell, it was my major for two years--and I can say with certainty that there's only so much of that to be 'learned'. Any schmuck can go look up what OCD is and make a fairly accurate diagnosis of them self as long as they are honest and self aware. OCD is a pretty easy one. It has many forms, but the behavior is goofy enough that it should stand out well enough, anyway. You're right, though. One should all go spend an afternoon with a shrink before calling them self OCD, or a narcissist, or etc. :/ lol

[quote name='phoenixlau']Both versions out of stock now. Hesitated with a copy in my cart and missed the window.[/QUOTE]

I just ordered one 10 minutes ago and they were both in stock. Invoice at 4:01 AM.

And for everyone else - I haven't been on here much lately because I just don't have the time to play, but there used to be a bit more willingness to accept truly cheap deals like this, even if they required a rebate.

If you can't part with $35 dollars for 10 weeks, pay the $3 fee to get it in 2 weeks. My cost after paying the fine was $1.33 for the game. It's hard to turn that down, even though I probably won't play this one either.

[quote name='Zaku77']
Not commenting on the specific situation you are referring to, but that is a little bit too hard of a line to draw. I've taken quite a few psych classes--hell, it was my major for two years--and I can say with certainty that there's only so much of that to be 'learned'. Any schmuck can go look up what OCD is and make a fairly accurate diagnosis of them self as long as they are honest and self aware. OCD is a pretty easy one. It has many forms, but the behavior is goofy enough that it should stand out well enough, anyway. You're right, though. One should all go spend an afternoon with a shrink before calling them self OCD, or a narcissist, or etc. :/ lol[/QUOTE]

Sure you and I could look up DSM for a diagnosis, but it should be clear that most people using those terms are throwing them around casually.

As for your psych classes, I can tell you even after taking graduate level human behavior classes there are a lot I still I am learning.

[quote name='62t']Sure you and I could look up DSM for a diagnosis, but it should be clear that most people using those terms are throwing them around casually.

As for your psych classes, I can tell you even after taking graduate level human behavior classes there are a lot I still I am learning.[/QUOTE]

No doubt there; Psychology is fascinating and deep as can be. A simple thing like OCD, however, really isn't. It is also true, though, that it is thrown around far too loosely.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']1. Nothing is perfect. Once you crack the seal, perfection goes out the window. Once you pop a disc into a system perfection goes out the window. Wear and tear is inevitable.
[/QUOTE]

That's why diehard collectors buy two copies of a game, so that they can have one to play and one to keep sealed in "pristine" condition. Some are even worried about ANY imperfections in the sealed item, including tiny little tears in the wrapping. They may even want to send it in to VGA (Video Game Authority) to have it rated and displayed in encased plastic (the gold levels are worth a lot on Ebay). Personally, just because they are collectors with very high standards, I wouldn't judge them negatively. Some people may also enjoy the collecting aspect more than the average gamer who just plays a game, forgets about it/trades it in for another. But, like you said, in this particular case, he could always get another since this copy is essentially "free".

[quote name='62t']Please stop calling it OCD unless it has been diagnosed by a professional.[/QUOTE]

How about "OCD tendencies" then, since people exhibiting OCD tendencies don't have to have OCD. I think all diehard collectors display OCD tendencies since they want their collections to be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
It says sold out online. Need to go to a CompUSA store?

[quote name='62t']Sure you and I could look up DSM for a diagnosis, but it should be clear that most people using those terms are throwing them around casually.

As for your psych classes, I can tell you even after taking graduate level human behavior classes there are a lot I still I am learning.[/QUOTE]
Lol I find it really funny that you get yourself troubled for people saying they have OCD. Once you have more experience you will learn to not care so much about what people say they have.

[quote name='bruceg']
How about "OCD tendencies" then, since people exhibiting OCD tendencies don't have to have OCD. I think all diehard collectors display OCD tendencies since they want their collections to be perfect.[/QUOTE]

I guess what you want is called OCPD. If it affects normal life experiences negatively then it could be OCD.

Why? Is this one of your OCD triggers?

Yes. Now that Usama Bin-Laden is dead the Fed's are going to shift their focus to Tiger Direct UPC rebate crimes.

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']Yes. Now that Usama Bin-Laden is dead the Fed's are going to shift their focus to Tiger Direct UPC rebate crimes.[/QUOTE]
If they are as serious about this, I'm sure there is a chance of it happening. ;)

[quote name='decayedmatter']Ughh I ordered before realizing they want you to CUT THE UPC OFF THE GAME. fuck that shit. I am gonna photocopy the upc, mail it in and hope for the best. If I lose out on the rebate then oh well. Still a cheaper price for this game (on ps3) than it is on amazon.[/QUOTE]

Just go to GameStop and take one of the use max payne case. Just tell them u bought a use copy at another gs but they had no case

[quote name='musha666']Why? Is this one of your OCD triggers?[/QUOTE]

It's could be because OCD is a pretty serious disorder for those who legitimately suffer from it and many people throw around that term lightly.

[quote name='Bxnextel']Just go to GameStop and take one of the use max payne case. Just tell them u bought a use copy at another gs but they had no case[/QUOTE]
I like your style.

[quote name='TooPoor']I like your style.[/QUOTE]

Thanks and if they say no. Then take it. Or buy it use and return it back without the case.

Even though its "free", its still not as good as the deal gamestop had a while back with the special edition for $20 bucks plus tax IMO. I'm surprise that some of you guys dont have this game yet after that deal (or you're greedy and want another), then again their might not have been any in-stock at your gamestop.

Good find though Op.

Just bought it used today from BB with an old GC. Ended up paying about $6 for it out-of-pocket.

Just couldn't bring myself to deal with rebates...

[quote name='LD_Helix']Even though its "free", its still not as good as the deal gamestop had a while back with the special edition for $20 bucks plus tax IMO. I'm surprise that some of you guys dont have this game yet after that deal (or you're greedy and want another), then again their might not have been any in-stock at your gamestop.

Good find though Op.[/QUOTE]

I agree. MP3 SE and UC3 CE for $20 at gamestop were scores for those who got them at that price. Deals like that is what makes gamestop useful.

I was able to score the max payne 3 for that price. I wish I could have got a UC3 CE.

Bah, just got a order cancellation. "Due to overwhelming demand we are out of stock" might shoot their CS an email saying I'm disappointed and all and see what happens, but honestly not too broken up too much about not getting this game I've got a large enough backlog as it is.

[quote name='Loonknight']Bah, just got a order cancellation. "Due to overwhelming demand we are out of stock" might shoot their CS an email saying I'm disappointed and all and see what happens, but honestly not too broken up too much about not getting this game I've got a large enough backlog as it is.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Guess I don't have to worry about the rebate date.

[quote name='Loonknight']Bah, just got a order cancellation. "Due to overwhelming demand we are out of stock" might shoot their CS an email saying I'm disappointed and all and see what happens, but honestly not too broken up too much about not getting this game I've got a large enough backlog as it is.[/QUOTE]

me too - I didn't want to mess with another rebate anyway - maybe PS+ will have it free later on

My order was cancelled, too. This was the first time dealing with TigerDirect so this is a bad first impression of the company from me.

bread's done
Back