Max Payne Bundle (1 + 2) for $3.74 on Gamestop / Impulse Driven

The first one doesn't hold up, the second one barely does. I got em on Steam during the Summer sale ... I'd say just enjoy your memories and then play the third one when it comes out.

Max Payne is one of my favorite games ever. It might be the only game I've ever played all the way through more than once.

If anyone is looking to get this, be advised that Max Payne has some sound issues when running on Vista/7. This can be fixed, but it takes a little research.

[quote name='fortunado']The first one doesn't hold up, the second one barely does. I got em on Steam during the Summer sale ... I'd say just enjoy your memories and then play the third one when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

This man is a charlatan and a liar.

Seriously though, I installed and played through both games 3-4 months ago, after not playing them since they were released. The gunplay and character movement controls are perfect, the story/mood/music are still powerful, and the added benefit of being able to play it at a rock solid 60fps maxed out (something I couldnt do @ launch) was refreshing, considering nearly every game nowadays gets capped at 20-30fps. The game also still looks great, despite not having any fancy shader effects, simply because Remedy used (at the time) high-resolution textures taken from real photos. IMO, that still looks better than today's "everything is textured like orange peel".

Buy this.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']This man is a charlatan and a liar.

Seriously though, I installed and played through both games 3-4 months ago, after not playing them since they were released. The gunplay and character movement controls are perfect, the story/mood/music are still powerful, and the added benefit of being able to play it at a rock solid 60fps maxed out (something I couldnt do @ launch) was refreshing, considering nearly every game nowadays gets capped at 20-30fps. The game also still looks great, despite not having any fancy shader effects, simply because Remedy used (at the time) high-resolution textures taken from real photos. IMO, that still looks better than today's "everything is textured like orange peel".

Buy this.[/QUOTE]

ya.. i dont know wtf fortunado was talking about. I played through the first one again last year on a whim and still really enjoyed it. Loved the over the top noir setting and the gameplay was still nice. I couldn't find the damn disk for the 2nd game though so i didn't play that one =( I should find a used copy somewhere, since i dont like digital downloads

I'm on the "not as good as you may remember it" side. The bullet time is still pretty fun but alot of the mechanics feel rusty. Running along thin trails of blood isn't as exciting as it sounds (if it even sounds exciting in the first place), and the level layout/enemy placement doesn't feel polished. Futhermore, some elements of the story feel rather hackneyed: I still remember hearing the chilling, violent yelling of a myserious enemy throughout an entire level only to get to him and find out it was a random fat dude in a Hawaiian shirt. Also, Payne himself constantly looks constipated in the first game. I think Stranglehold took the ideas behind MP 1 & 2 and used it to much better effect. Still for $4 you can't really go wrong with trying it out.

[quote name='Kenshindono']I couldn't find the damn disk for the 2nd game though so i didn't play that one =( I should find a used copy somewhere, since i dont like digital downloads[/QUOTE]

That's the exact reason that I prefer them.

[quote name='iamsmart']I'm on the "not as good as you may remember it" side. The bullet time is still pretty fun but alot of the mechanics feel rusty. Running along thin trails of blood isn't as exciting as it sounds (if it even sounds exciting in the first place), and the level layout/enemy placement doesn't feel polished. Futhermore, some elements of the story feel rather hackneyed: I still remember hearing the chilling, violent yelling of a myserious enemy throughout an entire level only to get to him and find out it was a random fat dude in a Hawaiian shirt. Also, Payne himself constantly looks constipated in the first game. I think Stranglehold took the ideas behind MP 1 & 2 and used it to much better effect. Still for $4 you can't really go wrong with trying it out.[/QUOTE]

hackneyed? REALLY? You DO realize that its very tongue in cheek noir esque right? Yeesh. And yes, the dream sequences were pretty crappy but the main gameplay was still fun as hell

[quote name='louiedog']That's the exact reason that I prefer them.[/QUOTE]

Well all my console games i keep track of and in good condition, but i kinda just tossed my pc games around back in the day =P

Got to admit that is a super price for a game that was pretty big and very solid back when it came out. Obviously outdated now, but good for that price and for anyone who never played them when they were "hot".

I will also go on record and say the "dream sequences / running on blood trails" were the low point of the games.

However, I will also say that the movement & shooting controls are some of the best I've ever used, simply for the fact it all works exactly how you'd expect.

I agree with whoever said that the baby crying was creepy. I had to turn the volume all the way down

But my god this game is awesome and holds up very well these days. I bought the bundle off D2D when it was 3.xx and still enjoyed playing the first. Definitely made me more hyped for the MP3.

I ordered but never received a download link. I never got a receipt or order confirmation even though PayPal charged me already. I have no orders under purchase history.

bread's done
Back