May 2007 EGM Rumor Mill + Review Scores

A Happy Panda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
Just got the May 2007 EGM. Here we go:

RUMOR MILL

Bioware is apparently working on several games, here are some quotes:

-"I (Quartermann) hear they're forming a new team to make a KOTOR massively multiplayer online game. But that's not all, my spies also discovered their current PC-only Dragon Age is coming to the PS3. Oh yeah, and the DS game they're making? Looks to be a new Baldur's Gate."

-"Word is another Halo game is in the works. No, I'm not talking about Halo Wars (but I hear it might be coming out this year!), or the episodic project famed movie director Peter Jackson is working on."

He goes on to insinuate that he knows what the project is, but can't/won't reveal it. He also reveals that Microsoft wanted to include a motion controller with Halo 3, but Bungie shot that idea down.

-"Dragon Quest IX, FF XII: Revenant Wings, FF VII: Crisis Core, and the DS FF Tactics are getting pushed back to next year"

-Also, the newly announced Simpsons game from EA will feature an "eclectic mix of gameplay types" (racing, FPS, RPG, etc.)

Q-TIPS

-"Sega is looking to go ape over another Samba de Amigo game" he GUESSES for the Wii.

-Lost Planet will get a RTS spin-off

-"Seeds, the new studio filled with former Clover peeps is already planning another new project PS3? Nah. Wii? You Wish. Try the 360."

THIS MONTH'S REVIEWS

iconwii.gif
Nintendo Wii

Super Paper Mario
Silver Award & Game of the Month
8.0, 9.0, 9.0

Cooking Mama: Cook Off
7.0, 8.0, 7.5

Medal of Honor: Vanguard
4.0, 4.0, 6.0

iconxbox360.gif
Xbox 360

Earth Defense Force 2017
8.0, 7.0, 7.5

GRAW 2
Silver Award
8.5, 8.0, 7.5

iconps3.gif
PS3

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Gold Award
9.5, 8.5, 9.0

iconds.gif
Nintendo DS

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
6.0, 6.5, 6.5

Wario: Master of Disguise
4.0, 5.0, 5.0

Custom Robo Arena
7.5, 8.0, 8.0

Lost in Blue 2
5.0, 5.5, 4.5

That's all. If any of you want details I will try my best to update the OP with your answer if I have time.

The flaw in the bioware rumor is that they have had the austin mmo studio set up for a while now. Plus why would lucasarts license competition to SWG..doesn't sound even remotely plausable.

Can't believe the new one is circulating already. Feels like I just got the ratchet cover.

[quote name='Surferflames']The flaw in the bioware rumor is that they have had the austin mmo studio set up for a while now. Plus why would lucasarts license competition to SWG..doesn't sound even remotely plausable.

Can't believe the new one is circulating already. Feels like I just got the ratchet cover.[/QUOTE]

Beats me. Stranger things have happened in the video game world.....look at Mario & Sonic go to the Olympics...wtf IS that?

[quote name='Surferflames']The flaw in the bioware rumor is that they have had the austin mmo studio set up for a while now. Plus why would lucasarts license competition to SWG..doesn't sound even remotely plausable.

Can't believe the new one is circulating already. Feels like I just got the ratchet cover.[/quote]

there is no Star Wars Galaxies on consoles...

[quote name='DJSteel']there is no Star Wars Galaxies on consoles...[/QUOTE]
There is also the perception, at least, that Star Wars Galaxies is dying. It was already on life support, and the reboot they did about a year ago may have been the nail in the coffin. Letting Bioware develop its sequel seems like a good idea. We shall see.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Oh yeah, and the DS game they're making? Looks to be a new Baldur's Gate."[/quote]

We need a new Baldur's Gate for consoles, not portables!:bomb:

IIRC, doesn't Bioware not have the D&D license anymore? And Bioware has moved on to doing their own IP's, and not licensed stuff.

I'd be shocked if it ended up being Baldur's Gate... I don't see that happening, though.

And Sega making a new Samba game... could be awesome. Gotta love how everything old becomes new again.

So how did they justify NOT giving Oblivion on PS3 the Game of the Month when it has better scores than Super Paper Mario? I'm a little surprised at the somewhat low 8.0 too - not that 8.0 is bad it's just that I haven't heard a single negative thing about the game other than it's easy but saying a Nintendo game is too easy is like saying a Nintendo game also has sounds and graphics.

[quote name='javeryh']So how did they justify NOT giving Oblivion on PS3 the Game of the Month when it has better scores than Super Paper Mario? I'm a little surprised at the somewhat low 8.0 too - not that 8.0 is bad it's just that I haven't heard a single negative thing about the game other than it's easy but saying a Nintendo game is too easy is like saying a Nintendo game also has sounds and graphics.[/QUOTE]

Botticus told me because Oblivion already received game of the month for 360 awhile ago, and this is just a port. I don't own EGM so I really can't say for sure.

Game Informer also follows this same strategy, IIRC.

[quote name='Roufuss']Botticus told me because Oblivion already received game of the month for 360 awhile ago, and this is just a port. I don't own EGM so I really can't say for sure.

Game Informer also follows this same strategy, IIRC.[/quote]

That's what I thought but port or not if it's the best game that comes out for the month shouldn't it get the award? I can see their line of thinking though because if Nintendo decided to release Zelda:OoT every single month in one form or another then no other game would ever get GotM...

[quote name='javeryh']That's what I thought but port or not if it's the best game that comes out for the month shouldn't it get the award? I can see their line of thinking though because if Nintendo decided to release Zelda:OoT every single month in one form or another then no other game would ever get GotM...[/quote]Basically, yeah. Of course people will get all up in arms about it, but oh well. It's just an award, so give the meaningless award as a way of calling attention to a NEW great game as opposed to the same great game that already got it.

I would love to see the return of the infinity engine on the DS, it seems like it would be a good fit for the hand held. I do have serious doubts that Bioware will be developing any new Baldur's Gate games (I would guess it would be some other studio), but I can always hope. I really want to see Minsc and Boo again.
Also, I find it hard to believe that the only console Dragon Age comes out for will be the PS3, I'm sure we'll see a 360 version since it would be much easier to port it to the 360 then the PS3. Lets also not forget that Bioware seems to have a very good relationship with Microsoft right now.

[quote name='javeryh']That's what I thought but port or not if it's the best game that comes out for the month shouldn't it get the award? I can see their line of thinking though because if Nintendo decided to release Zelda:OoT every single month in one form or another then no other game would ever get GotM...[/QUOTE]

Because it's already been done, and already has gotten an award. Doesn't make it any less great, but the same game shouldn't get another award just for being playable on another console.

[quote name='The Crotch']Biggest news to me: Bioware is working on a DS game? Since when?[/quote]

At least a year, but there hasn't been much news on it.

bread's done
Back