Medialink for PS3

interested in getting info from you guys on this too. is it possible to get stuff from the ps3 hardrive to your mac?

EDIT: whoops! Sorry to piggyback on this. hope you don't mind!!

[quote name='shadylane']interested in getting info from you guys on this too. is it possible to get stuff from the ps3 hardrive to your mac?

EDIT: whoops! Sorry to piggyback on this. hope you don't mind!![/QUOTE]

I don't mind at all dude. I just downloaded the demo of it but it only lasts ~30 minutes. I was having trouble playing video's that I downloaded through iTunes. I know CheapyD has a mac. I wonder if he has it or has used it. I've used Connect360 for 360 which is another media server app for OS X.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']use mediatomb. I use it on linux, and it kicks arse. _way_faster than tversity, and is free.
~S[/quote]
What he said.
It's also worth noting that mediatomb is available for OS X (via fink) and maybe windows (via Cygwin).

[quote name='mguiddy']What he said.
It's also worth noting that mediatomb is available for OS X and maybe windows (via Cygwin).[/QUOTE]

yeah... but mediatomb requires OS X to use fink.

I've used it and it worked ok but I had a problem with it looking in the wrong place for my iTunes music so it wouldn't play stuff unless I navigated directories. I emailed support and got nothing back. Nullriver has pretty bad customer support. They've got a free trial available.

I used Medialink and it worked great for me. Movies and music both worked great. ( I speak in past-tense because I abandoned my mac, Medialink always worked fine)

[quote name='mrlogical']I used Medialink and it worked great for me. Movies and music both worked great. ( I speak in past-tense because I abandoned my mac, Medialink always worked fine)[/QUOTE]

Did you ever buy music off the itunes store and play it on the ps3?

I wanted to try it on the trial but i think it limits it since it's a demo.

[quote name='mguiddy']Is that a bad thing?[/QUOTE]

I don't know is it? It feels like an extra step. Is it involved at all ? It seems like just extra foot work and from reading the release notes for mediatomb it seems an unstable platform.

[quote name='bo0']I don't know is it? It feels like an extra step. Is it involved at all ? It seems like just extra foot work and from reading the release notes for mediatomb it seems an unstable platform.[/quote]
I don't know, my iBook has been out of commission with a dead hard drive (probably from dropping it five too many times) for months so I can't try it out to see if it is a hassle. From what I've read on the fink homepage it doesn't seem like it'd be much more work, but I'm used to compiling stuff from source, so I might not be a good judge. I've found this howto on how to install fink and mediatomb on OS X.

As for mediatomb being stable, I haven't encountered any problems with it. Though I'm not sure it'll stream iTunes drm'ed music.

bread's done
Back